Canon R7 - Should I have waited?

Name
Dougie
Edit My Images
Yes
Just got the R7 to replace my 70D, main use is for birds and wildlife. I stayed with Canon due to the lenses I already have.
Have watched numerous Youtube videos, regarding best settings etc. Watched one video saying do not use it in anything apart from electronic shutter mode, as the mechanical shutter is so severe it causes the camera to slightly move, resulting in images that are not as sharp as they could be. Saw another video about how poor the electronic shutter is, due to the slow speed of the sensor, which causes some weird rolling shutter effects.
This has now put doubts in my mind, perhaps I should have waited for the R7 Mk2, where hopefully these problems would have been rectified.

Just got the R7 to replace my 70D, main use is for birds and wildlife. I stayed with Canon due to the lenses I already have.
Have watched numerous Youtube videos, regarding best settings etc. Watched one video saying do not use it in anything apart from electronic shutter mode, as the mechanical shutter is so severe it causes the camera to slightly move, resulting in images that are not as sharp as they could be. Saw another video about how poor the electronic shutter is, due to the slow speed of the sensor, which causes some weird rolling shutter effects.
This has now put doubts in my mind, perhaps I should have waited for the R7 Mk2, where hopefully these problems would have been rectified.
I found out about shutter shock the day I got my R7. Never seen in on various M cameras, nor Sony's. I was very concerned but after a bit of research I realised the camera is working as it was intended, and I just needed to adjust. Not used full mechanical shutter since Oct last year, and no issues with shutter shock.

It's surprising how, due to the advance of technology, we now have to think about one more setting, especially as cameras pretty much do everything these days.

I'm not a Canon person but my first port of call would be the owner's thread if you haven't already as I find that's the best place here to get information or advice on a camera system:

I find the internet can be a mixed bag because I find I can be drawn to negative information and get too fixated on that, I also think there's many people who will exaggerate problems. I bought a laptop recently that I'd found people recommended to avoid because it had chronic overheating problems from a bad chassis design but I love it and not had any of the issues that make it unusable. One in particular I remember was researching TVs, I looked feedback on TV A and found people saying it's absolutely awful or has some major issues but TV B is much better and the one to buy. Reviews for TV B though highlighted major problems with it and instead they recommended TV C which was the one to buy. Though on checking feedback for TV C said it was to be avoided and instead....go for TV A, it was definitely the best one.

There's lots of useful information on the internet as well so it is tricky to get the balance right but I do try to take negative information in balance and not get too focused on it. While there is always something better round the corner, waiting can leave you losing out in the meantime. I bought a camera in 2019 and while I have some issues with it and still planning on changing it when I look back at the tremendous photos it's produced of my dog when he was a puppy and other one off moments it's done better than my previous cameras I'm so glad to have bought it.

I have a R7 and I love it. I tend to use electronic shutter for birds on the water, mainly swans and land animals like squirrels and ive had no issues with sharpness or the rolling shutter issues that others have complained about. I use electronic 1st curtain for birds that are flying swans/ducks or for things that are moving quickly. I think that some people on youtube do vids just to get more views so they make more money from advertising so they tend to sensationalise and exaggerate slightly. We dont all use our cameras in the same way so we will get different experiences.
if you have the camera then go out, relax, and enjoy it.

I have Sony A6600, Canon DSLR 7Dii and R7.
The R7 does have some issues and it may not be the true 7Dii replace in a mirrorless body, however the Eye AF alone is on another planet when comparing 70D, 90D or 7Dii, and that is the biggest advantage over DSLRs.
You could wait for a R7 Mkii, however I believe that will be a least 2 years away, bear in mind the 7D & 7Dii had 5 years between them ! !

Last edited:
Back