Coloured lines through RAW files

TG.

Name
Tel
Edit My Images
No
Has anyone experienced this problem of colored lines through RAW files, when viewing them in explorer, it just started happening, I am just wondering if it's to do with the RAW file viewer in windows explorer, as the files still open in Lightroom and camera RAW in photoshop. Example attached. Many thanks in advance

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-14 Lines through NEF files.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-05-14 Lines through NEF files.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 5
Has anyone experienced this problem of colored lines through RAW files, when viewing them in explorer, it just started happening, I am just wondering if it's to do with the RAW file viewer in windows explorer, as the files still open in Lightroom and camera RAW in photoshop. Example attached. Many thanks in advance

More than likely a corrupt codec or one that doesn't support your Raw format yet.

More than likely a corrupt codec or one that doesn't support your Raw format yet.

But then surely it wouldn't open in PS or LR

Windows photo viewer alters RAW files when viewed. I had kittens thinking my files were corrupted! - I looked at the RAW in the (free) Canon RAW software and they were all okay. Do you have a basic RAW editor from the camera manufacturer you could look at them with?

Do you have a basic RAW editor from the camera manufacturer you could look at them with?

Yes I have PS and LR and they open in them ok, the issue was when opened in windows photo viewer, the coloured lines were showing, which has never happened before, having said all that, it was from a Nikon Z8 which I just purchased, and this was my first outing with it, so it could be the RAW files from the new camera, as I have not have this happen with any other Z camera. I have just found out though, that you need to download a RAW image extension file for windows which should probably fix the issue, so I will update the thread when I have done it.

But then surely it wouldn't open in PS or LR
No, they are different. LR and PS have their own Raw converter that make the file viewable and editable.

The codec will be a windows "driver" that extracts the baked in jpeg and allows you to view it in the file manager.

Last edited:
Back