Epson SC-P900 keeps trying to print from the roll feeder in macOS

Name
Vanda
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I have recently bought Epson SC-P900 printer to be able to print from my MacBook Pro. However, I haven't been lucky so far. Every time I open the Print Options dialog box, the printer displays an error message:

Paper out in Roll Paper Unit. Load paper and touch OK.
432 mm (17in) / Canvas Satin

I don't even have the roll paper attachment, and I am not trying to print on a roll paper. I am trying to print on A4 Fine Art Matt paper (Fotospeed NST Bright White). Tried to load the front feeder and the rear feeder. It didn't make any difference. I also tried different sizes, different papers, made sure that the Paper Settings on the printer and on my Mac are exactly the same. I have tried to reset the printers on my Mac. I have made sure that I have the latest Epson SC-P900 driver version (13.08), the latest Epson firmware version and my Mac is on the latest macOS version Sonoma 14.4.1.

I am not using AirPrint, I have added the Epson printer / driver manually, and it is the correct driver. I have called Fotospeed, and shared my screen with them. They have tried to help but were unable to. They haven't encountered this problem before. I have tried to contact Epson, but I can't get through to anyone to talk to on the phone. The chat on their support website and the email contact were absolutely useless.

By the way, I had to produce some prints this weekend, so I used my boyfriend's Windows laptop and had absolutely no issue. So it looks like it is the combination of macOS and Epson driver/printer. In Windows OS, the Epson drive allows you to specify the Source. In maOS, there is no such option. It is trying to do it automatically, which is the source of the whole problem.

Does anyone know what I can do to resolve this issue, please? I am so frustrated, having spent all that money on a new printer and not being able to print from my Mac.

Thank you very much for any help you can provide.

Hi and welcome to TP

We have many experienced fellow TPers but as your question is so very specific, the best source of printer knowledge outside of TP is IMO Keith Cooper @ North light images who also has his YouTube channel

He is quite approachable via YouTube or email.

I hope that you can find a straightforward solution and also enjoy your membership here at TP.

Last edited:
What app are you printing from.

This seems to be a LR and PS issue. If I try to choose a paper size in LR I only get A4, A3, A2 etc but when I print from my usual printing app (QImage One), I get a lot of options like A4 borderless, A4 Roll Paper and loads of other options. The source is set by the paper you choose.

Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 18.00.04.png

Last edited:
It's not 100% clear in your post, but just to double check. In the print driver, is the source set as the roll feeder? I've come a cropper on this a couple of times when it's defaulted to something else. You may have it set elsewhere but the driver will override other apps (well, it does on my computer)

Screenshot 2024-04-28 180602.png

It's not 100% clear in your post, but just to double check. In the print driver, is the source set as the roll feeder? I've come a cropper on this a couple of times when it's defaulted to something else. You may have it set elsewhere but the driver will override other apps (well, it does on my computer)

View attachment 421419

It's not that. You don't select a source on the Mac. The list of paper sizes determines the source.

This is a known bug with LR and the latest Sonoma 14.4 update. Seems like Capture One is having the same issue.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to TP

We have many experienced fellow TPers but as your question is so very specific, the best source of printer knowledge outside of TP is IMO Keith Cooper @ North light images who also has his YouTube channel

He is quite approachable via YouTube or email.

I hope that you can find a straightforward solution and also enjoy your membership here at TP.
Thank you very much. I will try to contact Keith. Much appreciated.

What app are you printing from.

This seems to be a LR and PS issue. If I try to choose a paper size in LR I only get A4, A3, A2 etc but when I print from my usual printing app (QImage One), I get a lot of options like A4 borderless, A4 Roll Paper and loads of other options. The source is set by the paper you choose.

View attachment 421417
Thank you very much for your response. I am trying to print from Photoshop and I get all the options:
The error message appears as soon as I click the Print Settings / Print Options.

I also tried Adobe Color Print Utility, Lightroom, Test Print from the System Settings. Basically, every time I try to print anything.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 10.09.13.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 10.09.13.png
    425.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Thank you very much for your response. I am trying to print from Photoshop and I get all the options:
The error message appears as soon as I click the Print Settings / Print Options.

I also tried Adobe Color Print Utility, Lightroom, Test Print from the System Settings. Basically, every time I try to print anything.

That's very odd. It's definitely not a driver/OS issue. I'm running the same driver version as you and the latest Mac OS. The only issue is with LR which I linked to above and is a known issue.

I was printing this weekend with no issues.

Perhaps remove and reinstall the printer driver

That's very odd. It's definitely not a driver/OS issue. I'm running the same driver version as you and the latest Mac OS. The only issue is with LR which I linked to above and is a known issue.

I was printing this weekend with no issues.

Perhaps remove and reinstall the printer driver
That is very strange, I know. My friend has the same printer and Mac and has no problems either. I have already re-installed the driver, but I will try it again. I have contacted Epson, but no response just yet... If I find out anything at all, I will post it here. Thank you very much again. Really appreciate it.

Hi everyone. I wanted to say thank you for all your responses and for all your time.

I have managed to resolve the issue eventually.

I have another Epson printer XP-860 and had all the software for it installed. I also had all the software for SC P-900 installed. All downloaded and installed from the relevant Epson support website.

I have used the Epson Uninstaller to uninstall all the software/drivers. Removed both printers.

I have re-downloaded the two Epson drivers only from Epson website. Installed the SC P-900 one and added the printer and selected the installed driver manually. And it started printing. Then I installed the XP-860 driver, added the printer manually and select the installed driver manually. It still prints.

It looks that there was something in the Epson software that was interfering with the printing. As I don’t really need any of the software, I am happy to only have the drivers installed. Lesson learned for next time.

Back