Personal project

Name
Matt Evans
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I've been working on this concept for a photography series for myself over the past few weeks however I've always done journalism or event photography. I have anxiety when coming up with ideas and just wanted to put it to the community to see if it is a good idea or not. I've put the concept below for you to read, but this is still being added to and tweaked as the idea matures. Any and all feedback will be appreciated.

Photography concepts

The time travelling photographer

The concept is that you are a journalist who is given briefs to photograph people and events from the past. Using various styles including journalism, portrait and landscape, challenging the photographer to learn these styles and take a creative approach to the task.

Alternate history photography

Photography project covering various what ifs from history. Either modern takes on classic stories or fun projects relating to various alternate timelines that present opportunities to try different styles and explore the story through the medium of photography.

Briefs

Marie Antionette - The New York Times

You are a photographer working for The New York Times in Paris during the French Revolution. You have been tasked with covering the execution of Marie Antionette. Your editor wants images showing the execution itself and the crowd reaction. You are free to approach it in any style, but the images should tell the story of the day.

Roman Empire survives

The Roman Empire survived to the modern day and has become a major player on the world stage. It is a part of NATO and the EU, taking part in all aspects of European politics. Now called the Roman Federal Republic, it has been facing issues surrounding social change and insurgency in the province of Britannia.
The following photography tasks focus around this premise:
  • You are a war photographer covering the insurgency in Britannia
  • Create a set of portraits showing protestors in the Republic
  • Create a set of portraits showing the diversity within the Republic

Street Photography - Viking times

You are a street photographer during the Viking era. Use your camera to showcase the variety in Viking life and the various ways in which people lived during these times, including their religion, practices, jobs and home life.

Henry VIII guide to divorce

Tongue in cheek guide to divorce from King Henry VIII. Showing the various ways he divorced his wives: Starting an entirely new church, using that new church to annul a marriage to a wife he found ugly and the famous executions. Should have historical context but be filled with sarcasm. Have King Henry dressed in period dress with the stand in for the wives dressed in modern times, adding to the humour.

The Ancient Olympics

You are the sports photographer for the AP. You have been tasked with covering the Ancient Olympics. The editor wants images showcasing the events taking place and the awards being received. Major events in the Ancient Olympics were the Stade, a 200m running race, the Discus, boxing, the pentathlon and the Diaulos, a 400m race.

Vietnam War

Create a set of images showcasing the Vietnam War from both the American and North Vietnamese perspective. Showcase the American approach and the attitudes taken by US soldiers, in addition to showing the North Vietnamese approach and how the fighting impacted them. Additionally show the civilian cost of war and the impact the war had on the region and surrounding nations.

A Georgian Ball

You are the lead photographer for Vogue Magazine. You have been tasked with covering a state dinner at a local country estate. Showcase the guests arriving and the estate itself. This will be a major article and the editor wants a good number of images to fill out the page.

Hi Matt, welcome to TP!

Caveat: I'm one person with one opinion... Also, if I've misunderstood what you're trying to do, please forgive me.

I'm not sure I've seen a more crazy set of ideas with such a huge scope, but fair play to you for typing them out. They could either be really groundbreaking, or really cheesy-pants depending on how you approach it. The thing is, that you have the ideas which (no matter how crazy!) are unique to your imagination and creativity. To be honest, I've had similarly crazy ideas which I've not voiced (and am not brave enough to), but run along similar lines... Halsman did a whole book on famous people jumping, and Elliot Erwitt did a huge (and also small) book on dogs and their relationship to humans, so crazy isn't necessarily bad.

There's not really enough information on your approach to pass comment. Is it a simple case of getting some friends to dress up and reenact scenes in your living room or just do some headshots? Or are you talking about creating some Crewdson-esque set pieces? Or are you talking about standard street/documentary photography to make modern looking images with no "setup" that reflect your ideas?

Some of the ideas (Georgian ball, Olympics) are very specific. Some are a little wider in scope. What's your output? A book? An exhibition? An A3 print?

What a great idea! My friends from Ukraine, now based in Germany, pull off equally crazy ideas with amazing results. They tell me lots of willing friends to model and plenty of vodka helps :) go for it ! I’m looking forward to seeing the results

Back