Puffin survival and Brexit

I heard about that on the radio and meant to post about it but it slipped my mind so I was pleased to see your post.

What have the Danes said ? You can't do that it's "traditional" we've been doing it for eons. So sayeth fox hunters, the people of the Faroe Islands..well some of them...about herding dolphins into shallow water using speed boats at Skalabotnur beach in Eysturoy, where they are killed with knives. It's an annual event.ie...'traditional' Whale hunting..another tradition.This time involving the US- Japan -Norway-Iceland and,of course..the Faroes which,as you'll know belongs to Denmark. There are other 'traditions' worldwide that should be confined to history which I could cite but I've stuck to the theme of the post.

Puffins are my favourite bird and it’s good to see that their food source is being protected and it’s disappointing that the EU would allow the overfishing of sandeels to continue
Do wish though that the same could be said for our rivers that are being polluted by sewage and industrial farming and the UK government allow this to happen

Last edited:
I recall the Brexiteers railing against the fact that Edward Heath gave our fishing rights to the Common Market when we joined which was not revealed until much later. So Brexiteers manged to commit us to a deal which did not return our fishing rights but also kept this quiet.

Dave

I recall the Brexiteers railing against the fact that Edward Heath gave our fishing rights to the Common Market when we joined which was not revealed until much later. So Brexiteers manged to commit us to a deal which did not return our fishing rights but also kept this quiet.

Dave
The whole thing was done extremely badly whether you were for or against it. You bet it works ££££££ for someone who was running the show at a time

You bet it works ££££££ for someone who was running the show at a time
This is just one reason why I believe that all the parties involved in such negotiations, should be required to reveal their finances in full. Doing so would reassure those affected and the public at large, that they have not behaved badly. Secrecy in such matters is only a benefit to the criminally minded.

This is just one reason why I believe that all the parties involved in such negotiations, should be required to reveal their finances in full. Doing so would reassure those affected and the public at large, that they have not behaved badly. Secrecy in such matters is only a benefit to the criminally minded.
This exactly again, I seem to remember that Rys Mogg one of those pushing for Brexit made a lot of money out of it , can’t remember the details but do remember someone here posted about it

This exactly again, I seem to remember that Rys Mogg one of those pushing for Brexit made a lot of money out of it , can’t remember the details but do remember someone here posted about it

He set up a hedge fund I believe. Probably several.......

You can guarantee that some of those who are up-in-arms about Denmark trying to enter UK's waters to catch sand-eels wouldn't give a **** if it weren't for the fact that they are in the EU.....

Last edited:
I wonder if it would have been easier to prevent the overfishing of the sandeel if we were a member of the club - the EU is obviously acting on behalf of it's members which for obvious reasons we're not one of

A few days ago I heard soneone on the radio say that it would have been a very lengthy process and would most likely have failed. As it is, the EU are up in arms about it saying that it contravenes the post -Brexit deal. Have a read of this.

A few days ago I heard soneone on the radio say that it would have been a very lengthy process and would most likely have failed. As it is, the EU are up in arms about it saying that it contravenes the post -Brexit deal. Have a read of this.

Same story in my OP;)

Same story in my OP;)

Oh..yes..I didn't see that as the 'quote by Ben took me straight to his post. I'm on my iPad which can be a bit tiresome compared to home on the iMac. so I tend to miss a few things. The text is tiny,too which causes me a degree of eye-strain.

I wonder if it would have been easier to prevent the overfishing of the sandeel if we were a member of the club - the EU is obviously acting on behalf of it's members which for obvious reasons we're not one of
No it was happening before Brexit according to the RSPB this ban
comes after more than 25 years of campaigning by the RSPB and others, which called out the practice as one of the contributors to seabird decline.
So they have must have been campaigning for 17 years before the referendum, and it was banned 4 years after Brexit.
I heard about that on the radio and meant to post about it but it slipped my mind so I was pleased to see your post.

What have the Danes said ? You can't do that it's "traditional" we've been doing it for eons. So sayeth fox hunters, the people of the Faroe Islands..well some of them...about herding dolphins into shallow water using speed boats at Skalabotnur beach in Eysturoy, where they are killed with knives. It's an annual event.ie...'traditional' Whale hunting..another tradition.This time involving the US- Japan -Norway-Iceland and,of course..the Faroes which,as you'll know belongs to Denmark. There are other 'traditions' worldwide that should be confined to history which I could cite but I've stuck to the theme of the post.
Traditional? It started in 1953

That is hardly a long tradition.

Same story in my OP;)

Laurence.. I've just realised I said I wasn't aware of your BBC article when you opened the thread when posted in response to Ben's post..#12 . I obviously was aware because I gave it a 'like'. Instead of saying I hadn't seen it/ wasn't aware of it, I should have said I'd forgotten about it. Apologues for that.

No it was happening before Brexit according to the RSPB this ban

So they have must have been campaigning for 17 years before the referendum, and it was banned 4 years after Brexit.

Traditional? It started in 1953

That is hardly a long tradition.

Isn't it about the banning of it,not the sandeel fising,itself.

Can an activity that began in 1953 be called ' traditional ? Im inclined to agree with you in saying 'no'. After all, it's only 70 years. I'd have thought a couple of hundred years would be required to be called 'traditional.

Isn't it about the banning of it,not the sandeel fising,itself.
I meant the campaign to ban it started 25 years ago so pre Brexit referendum it hadn't happened despite 16-17 years of campaigning.

Last edited:
Can an activity that began in 1953 be called ' traditional ? Im inclined to agree with you in saying 'no'. After all, it's only 70 years. I'd have thought a couple of hundred years would be required to be called 'traditional.
Thank you - it does seem very wasteful to catch fish for food for animals, humans would get a lot more food if they just eat the fish.

Back