Dougie's 52 - Week 7 - people

I like your chopped...colours and idea are great :)

I'd like to see a bit more headroom above the apple...but i like the dof there! :)

I quite like the composition of this shot, for some reason it keeps me looking. The only thing i'd change would be a tiny bit more DOF, but i think that's a matter of opinion more than anything :)

Nice composition, nice lighting, nice DOF. I guess all round it's a nice image. I do have one teeny issue though, I can't seem to spot whats in focus. That's probably me though, sleep deprivation has a habit of messing my eyes up.

Hi!

Nice chopped shot :) The only thing I'd say is the focus is a bit too close to the camera - the knife and start of the apple skin is nicely done, but then it loses focus just a bit too quick for me. A little more detail in the flesh would have been great (y)

Like the composition and DOF but can't quite work out here the point of focus is - the apple or the knife.

Nice "chopped" shot but I'd like a little more DOF to get a bit in focus. It does seem to be a marmite thing, though!

Hi Dougie,

Fallen a bit behind with this thread.
Love the retake for curved. As an image I prefer the first, as a themed shot I prefer the second and it's still very good.

Poetry : Nice idea, good fit for the poem and the PP suits it well.

Chopped : Nice idea with the extreme DOF, but it's a bit narrow for me too. Or maybe it's just that the focus is on the front part of the knife and not the apple ????
I'm just finding the apple being oof a bit disorienting.
I do really like the little reflection of the red apple in the blade though (y)

I like chopped, it's a great idea, and the DOF would be ok, but I think it needs to be back slightly to focus on the apple rather than the blade.

I havent had time this week too get out with the camera so I will have to use one of my jokers i might come back too this since im a probally going to be out for this week (week 5)

Last edited:
One of your jokers? How many have you got? ;)

Don't be afraid to take this in the future if you get the time and claim it back.

So I have been out various times this week at night trying to get some shots with light trails ect but it just wasnt working out the way i wanted to so i had a re-think and came up with this. Not the best photograph but it will need too do for just now
img3328p.jpg

Sunday night is comment night mate, but seeing as I'm stuck at home baby sitting .......

Nice idea. I like the focal point on the speedo, I like the muted colours and I like the DOF.

Now it's just me and I know bugger all BUT it would have been nice if the tank flap had been central. Overall, a good image spot on this weeks theme.

Rob

Sunday night is comment night mate, but seeing as I'm stuck at home baby sitting .......

Nice idea. I like the focal point on the speedo, I like the muted colours and I like the DOF.

Now it's just me and I know bugger all BUT it would have been nice if the tank flap had been central. Overall, a good image spot on this weeks theme.

Rob
Thanks the bike was at a slight angle so it made it acward to get the picture straight

Hi Dougie,

Don't worry about the lack of comments so far. As Rob said, Sunday night is the main comment night, once everyone else had had chance to get their shots in.
But since mine's done now and I'm browsing on here instead of working . . .

It's a good take on the theme and an original idea.
I like the sense of perspective and the way that your eye is drawn forward through the shot.
In keeping with the theme I also like the enlarged reflection of the speedometer in the screen(?). I would have preferred it if you'd made a bit more of the speedo as a focal point though and really got it (either the original or the reflection) absolutely pin sharp and completely legible.
I'm not quite sure what's going on with the background either. It looks like either cardboard boxes or brown paper in front of the bike which is distracting me a bit.

Compositionally, I agree with Rob on the angle. I think either getting it straight on and perfectly central or even at a more pronounced angle so that it looks like a deliberate decision would help.

None of that is supposed to sound negative. I really do think that there's a very good shot in there, but there are a few bits that aren't quite working for me at the moment.

It works for me, I like the colours and the DOF, and it's clearly speedy. I think as Sarah said, either all lined up centrally, or more diagonal would enhance it. I'm not sure the reflections on the speedo are helping either...

And another flippin' thread I've completely missed. :shame:

Looking at all your shots, I think your curves shot (post 9) is a belter. Lovely colours and composition and it's right on-theme.

I also like the poetry shot, although as DarkStar said, it could do with a lift in the whites for a bit mroe contrast.

As for speed... I'm going to add another "try it straight" voice to the opinion polls. It all looks a bit wonky to me. Other than that, it fits the theme nicely and the DoF works well.

Ian.

So lately I have been really busy with work and my computer stopped working and subsequently i lost photoshop and lightroom which was rather annoying. so here is a very late week 6 as well as this weeks image
Week 6 - present today I finally got round to going out and shooting something. So here is the final result. I found this theme really hard how do you should something that is from the “present” when the present is always turning into “past” so i decided that a clock would fit within the theme because of course that is what we use daily to find out the present time. I decided to convert the shot into black and white.
“stuck in the past”
4376594226_c18f78ac2c_o.jpg

This weeks theme was people And I'm still not confident enough to go around taking pictures of people in the street so I decided to take a picture of these carvings in a building near me I wasn’t sure whether or not it looked better in black or white so i decided to keep it in colour.
4376517904_4b655d096a_o.jpg

Hi Dougie,

Just trying to catch up with all the 52s this week. Been stupidly busy so I haven't had as much time to spend on it as usual.

Your present shot really stands out from these 2. The B&W processing is perfect for the image and it's a lovely clear, crisp shot.
I think it could do with just a touch of a straighten, but it really works very well (y).

I like the thinking behind people. Those are beautiful carvings and it's really very difficult to shoot these things right at the top of buildings.
The composition isn't quite there for me though.
The crop of the carving at the bottom looks a bit odd, and I'm not sure about that patch of blue sky at the top.
It's got potential, but it would have been nice if you could have managed a slightly different angle to give a better composition and minimise some of those dark shadows.

:agree: about present, nicely done.

I think the People shot works. I was going to suggest a more straight on view for more symmetry but the shadows make the chosen angle work better. I can't work out what it could be on top of (a fire station maybe ?) cos of the vehicle.

What a confusing statue. Looks like Cesar on top of Brum. Can't make up my mind on the colouring. Did you try it in mono?

The present shot is right on the money, good composition and I like the processing.

The idea behind the people shot works, but for me it needs to be a much tighter crop. By including so much around the periphery it detracts from the theme, I don't really have anything to focus on. Nice idea just requiring a little tweak IMO.

:agree: about present, nicely done.

I think the People shot works. I was going to suggest a more straight on view for more symmetry but the shadows make the chosen angle work better. I can't work out what it could be on top of (a fire station maybe ?) cos of the vehicle.
Thanks I have to admit a straight on view probably would have been a better choice! As for the building its the Argyll motor works apparently once the biggest car factory in Europe. now its just a shopping centre

Last edited:
Hi Dougie,

Really like the "Present" shot. Nice vignette and a good composition. Effective B&W treatment too.

Ian.

Judging by the last 2 shots, it looks like you have something of a passion for looking upwards at buildings. To be honest, I think with shots like this you need to be really clinical and anal with everything straight and parallel, or go completely the opposite and use a wide angle with some converging verticals, or a whacky angle. This is a bit middle-ing for me... neither here nor there. Soz.

Back