Clud17-52-2010 Wk 27 Art

Week 23 Post

well im almost flagging behind shouting "wait for me" so here's last weeks, this weeks i'll serve up tomorrow, i didn't get chance to have a go at the post i wanted to do so here is a lame offering from tonight's walk with the dog. The only thing i really like about it is the colours of a hot summer approaching.

A Post Meridian Stroll
4715291854_9c838bb7af_b.jpg

Week 24 Metal

Right, im back on track and i've caught up, now its time to get cracking on catching up on your pictures. This weeks theme was always going to be easy for me as Sheffield has been associated with Metal since the 19th Century. Again i had many ideas but after a dismal week for the industry in Sheffield i decided it was fitting to do this.

This is a shot of part of the Forgemasters site recently in the news following the cancellation of a loan from the government which would see UK steel leading the international competition, manufacturing parts for Nuclear plants and exporting them to the rest of the world. We will now have to buy this stuff from Korea at no doubt an inflated rate. Thanks Nick Clegg (deputy brown nosed prime minister and MP for Sheffield Hallam) for you support, representation and loyalty to the people of Sheffield. Sorry about the rant but i love Sheffield.

I really love the way this image displays the greenness of the city along with the industrial heritage. Many people think Sheffield is a grey dirty city, but Sheffield has over 2 million trees and has an amazing 61% green space making it one if not the greenest cities in Europe.

Green Steel
4717750060_69f3ee7886_b.jpg

Love this shot and is possibly my favourite from this weeks theme.
Love how its bringing together the 2 parts of Sheffield, the metal from the industrial side and the greeness. The complement each other really well.

(y) Good catch up Chris.

Quality - absolutely bang on theme. In fact, given that most of us used a crowbar to some extent that week, I think you deserve extra points for getting something on theme.
Beautiful classic watch that still looks stylish today. Great detail in the face and I like the lighting on the numerals.
On the whole I think the processing has worked, but agree with Andy on the strap. You've lost just a bit too much detail there.

Post - Yep it's a post :D
But for such a simple subject, this is actually a very pleasing image. It's the colours in the sky and grass that make it for me.

Metal : One of my favourites so far this week.
You've definitely pulled off what you wanted to achieve in showing the industrial vs the green side of Sheffield - and the green / blue doors on the building (whether by design or accident) really link it to the grass and sky.

I'm finding the converging verticals just a little bit disorientating.
They don't detract much from the image, but if you could pull them back out I think you'd be close to perfect with this one.

Love this shot and is possibly my favourite from this weeks theme.
Love how its bringing together the 2 parts of Sheffield, the metal from the industrial side and the greeness. The complement each other really well.

Thanks Darren, that's a nice comment, I took half a dozen shots and as soon as i saw this one i knew it was the one to fit the theme.

(y) Good catch up Chris.

Quality - absolutely bang on theme. In fact, given that most of us used a crowbar to some extent that week, I think you deserve extra points for getting something on theme.
Beautiful classic watch that still looks stylish today. Great detail in the face and I like the lighting on the numerals.
On the whole I think the processing has worked, but agree with Andy on the strap. You've lost just a bit too much detail there.

Post - Yep it's a post :D
But for such a simple subject, this is actually a very pleasing image. It's the colours in the sky and grass that make it for me.

Metal : One of my favourites so far this week.
You've definitely pulled off what you wanted to achieve in showing the industrial vs the green side of Sheffield - and the green / blue doors on the building (whether by design or accident) really link it to the grass and sky.

I'm finding the converging verticals just a little bit disorientating.
They don't detract much from the image, but if you could pull them back out I think you'd be close to perfect with this one.

Thanks Sarah, i hadn't noticed the colours of the doors and sign in relation to the colours of the image so it gives it a different level now. I see you on the converging verticals and ill have a look when i get a moment see if i can adjust them. Thanks for the other comments, i seem to have lost my way over the last couple of weeks so its nice to get some positive comments from everyone.

I really like the metal shot- with the metal sandwiched between the greeery and the blue sky. Sorry to hear about the loan cancellation. I fear there will be many more unpopular financial decisions and most of us are going to have to pay for years of overspending by governments.
Sue

I like your metal landscape shot. I think getting in close to the bush in the foreground so you were kind of 'peering' over it to see the metal building beyond could also have worked well.

Phil

I like the composition and colours in this, and also the contrast in textures. Is the building rusty or is it painted that colour?
(y)

I like your metal landscape shot. I think getting in close to the bush in the foreground so you were kind of 'peering' over it to see the metal building beyond could also have worked well.

Phil

thanks Phil, in actual fact my car was the other side of the bush so if i got closer i'd be introducing another heap of rusting metal into the frame. :LOL:

I like the composition and colours in this, and also the contrast in textures. Is the building rusty or is it painted that colour?
(y)

Cheers, good question really, i think it is probably the ageing and rust creeping through that makes it that colour.

I am another who likes this Chris. Lovely vibrant colours, sharp and spot on compositionally. It is interesting that you have portrait orientation for what is essentially a landscape, that works really well.
I too like your hometown, I spent quite a few weeks in Hallam Hospital a few years ago. Lovely friendly people who got me back on my feet.....quite literally. Iain

Can I joing your 'Forgemast photo' fanclub, too, Chris? I think this is excellent - that contrast betwwen the greenery and the start (but interesting) building against a wonderful sky is magic. (y)

Thanks also for the back story. I can understand that there must be a lot of people devastated by the decision to withdraw the grant - and you've just put Sheffield on the list of one of the place I really must visit properly. Do you work for the Tourist office? ;) :)

Jean

Well done for getting them done Chris...

Post, yes it is. But... whilst it could have been rather dull, this works nicely... the texture in the post have come out well, and the colours set it off.

Metal, I really like it, the colours work well together and it's well composed. There are a huge amount of trees in Sheffield...

I like that Chris. colours are vibrant. keep it up.
thanks mate:)

I am another who likes this Chris. Lovely vibrant colours, sharp and spot on compositionally. It is interesting that you have portrait orientation for what is essentially a landscape, that works really well.
I too like your hometown, I spent quite a few weeks in Hallam Hospital a few years ago. Lovely friendly people who got me back on my feet.....quite literally. Iain
cheers, it wouldnt have worked in landscape as there is a pub to the left side which would have ruined the shot. im glad you got sorted at the RHH I work for the NHS and we so often get bad press when on the whole its a wonderful service. Were you on one of the higher wards, you get a cracking view up there.

Can I joing your 'Forgemast photo' fanclub, too, Chris? I think this is excellent - that contrast betwwen the greenery and the start (but interesting) building against a wonderful sky is magic. (y)

Thanks also for the back story. I can understand that there must be a lot of people devastated by the decision to withdraw the grant - and you've just put Sheffield on the list of one of the place I really must visit properly. Do you work for the Tourist office? ;) :)

Jean

Do it do it, its a cracking city plenty to do and wonderful countryside all around.:)

Well done for getting them done Chris...

Post, yes it is. But... whilst it could have been rather dull, this works nicely... the texture in the post have come out well, and the colours set it off.

Metal, I really like it, the colours work well together and it's well composed. There are a huge amount of trees in Sheffield...

thanks mate,:LOL: it works out about 4 trees each.

Great composition on Post Chris. Lovely angle bringing the post into the frame.

Love the Metal shot too. Striking contrast between nature and man-made. Very sharp too.

Week 26 Beginnings

First of all i'll confess im in complete denial over "grunge" i figure if i sweep it under the carpet it will go away, at least until i can find a decent shot for that theme so week 25 is a temporary joker for me.

When the "beginnings" theme was drawn i straight away had this shot in mind, I regularly camp at Edale and often see eager people about to start the trek up the Pennine way and along the backbone of Britain. The official start is at the Nags Head pub in the village, but that wasn't too good a photo opportunity. The original route takes you past the pub and over a style into the field on the left. This path takes you up the Dale and on towards Kinder Scout and beyond (about 267 miles beyond).

The main problem i had, and one of the reasons it is late is that the day i had chance to get out there the light and skies were poor. Very flat and white/grey skies with little contrast. I could have played another joker and returned another day but i feel myself getting behind and losing momentum. For that reason i have used a heavy dollop of photoshop and i have added a better sky. I dont expect much critique on the shot as a result of that but i wouldnt mind your thoughts on the new sky and if it fits in well.

The Pennine Way
4773731385_08fca92f24.jpg

Last edited:
Liking all of the shots! Quality is a good idea, and nicely processed. Post, love the colours in this, really nice shot for the theme. Metal is wicked! Love the colours and exposure you've achieved here. Great use of the light! Finally, beginnings is a corker of a shot as well. The colours and vibrancy are smacking! Can't really fault any of your shots to be honest :LOL:

Liking your 52 a lot Chris (y)

Chris, Nice job on the cut and shut job with the sky in that one ;) it works very nicely. Not sure it shouts beginnings at me, but mine doesn't do that either... Still it's a very nice image.

nice pp work on getting the sky in Chris. it doesn`t really say beggining to me though.

Liking all of the shots! Quality is a good idea, and nicely processed. Post, love the colours in this, really nice shot for the theme. Metal is wicked! Love the colours and exposure you've achieved here. Great use of the light! Finally, beginnings is a corker of a shot as well. The colours and vibrancy are smacking! Can't really fault any of your shots to be honest :LOL:

Liking your 52 a lot Chris (y)

Thanks for the kind words mate:)

Chris, Nice job on the cut and shut job with the sky in that one ;) it works very nicely. Not sure it shouts beginnings at me, but mine doesn't do that either... Still it's a very nice image.

nice pp work on getting the sky in Chris. it doesn`t really say beggining to me though.

Thanks guys, i understand it doesn't shout beginnings but it is the beginning of the Pennine Way so it sits nicely with me.:)

Good job on the sky Chris. It works really well (y)

I was only thinking about this the other day. Whenever I go out to shoot landscapes I seem to get dull flat skys. I am thinking of getting a folder of decent sky images on my hard-drive to add in later. Not sure about this from a photographers point of view though. Is it cheating? Even in the dark room people having been combining images for years. How is it any different than other PP?

Andy

Chris another (y) from me for your beginnings image.
With a little explanation it fits the theme perfectly. I like the colours, it is a bright well composed image. I particularly like the converging diagnols through the landscape, they draw my eyes through the image to your lovely sky;). Well done Iain

Good job on the sky Chris. It works really well (y)

I was only thinking about this the other day. Whenever I go out to shoot landscapes I seem to get dull flat skys. I am thinking of getting a folder of decent sky images on my hard-drive to add in later. Not sure about this from a photographers point of view though. Is it cheating? Even in the dark room people having been combining images for years. How is it any different than other PP?

Andy

Cheers Andy, i did exactly that this week, i found some nice skies and took half a dozen for stock. My thoughts on photomanipulation go like this. If the technology is there then use it. I respect a purist view but today is 2010 and these are the tools we have.

Fair point Chris.

I did actually start to do this several years ago but the camera was only about 2 megapixels and I can't even find the pictures now. Think I'd better start again and get some stock. I'm going to get some textures shot as well.

Andy

Chris, I love your metal shot. It is really effective with wonderful colours and bang on theme.

I also really like your beginnings, although not obviously on theme, I will take your word for it that it is the beginning of the Pennine Way. I would never have guessed about the sky. I love the way the wall leads the eye into the photo.

Jenny

I thought there was something unusual about beginnings but couldn't quite put my finger on it until you pointed it out. I think I'd perhaps preferred the wall to be a bit bigger on the left of frame rather than coming in from the bottom but a nice shot overall though. I was thinking of something similar for my theme but can't think of anything that starts in or near Harrow.

Week 27 Art

Just down the road is a skate park and in true skater fashion the outside buildings are covered in graffiti art, it looks great and personally i find when this kind of art is done properly it looks fantastic, by properly i mean an intended piece rather than a few scrawls in a random place. I didn't spend much time thinking what to do as i have been meaning to get this on camera for a while. Iv'e posted three shots as i'm not sure which one to submit to my 52.

I wondered about getting some wide shots and showing more of the building therefore putting the art into context but i couldn't find the right angle so opted for the straight on approach.

Face Plant
4775055877_aa0a8ae81d.jpg

Pipe Art
4775691610_d67b3b7f18.jpg

Graffiti Lord
4775048459_eae5901b44.jpg

Love the texture on the last one and it is really well painted... and photographed .
I am never sure if this sort of painting is art or grafetti.

Although you say you love it I bet you wouldn't say that if it was on your house or business no matter how well it is done.

no3 for me, texture is fantastic. graffitti can be so cool when done properly.

3 totally unique photos and they are all really good. As above I really like #3 for the added texture

#1 or #3 for me Chris. On thinking about it, having another look, #1. I don't think it needs a wider angle, it is in context as the shutter door is distinguishable. I like the colours and content of the image, suppose its not art to some people but I too like graffiti if it is painted like this. Well done. Iain

Excellent job on the sky for beginnings Chris (y)
And no I don't think it's cheating at all. As you said the ability to combine images in the darkroom has been around for decades. I see nothing wrong with recreating that technique digitally.

It's a lovely shot, but I'd like to see it rotated so that the fence posts were vertical - even if they weren't really :LOL:

I like all of the art shots too.
I'm another fan of this sort of grafitti art if it's done well and in an appropriate place.

I think No.3 is the winner for me on subject matter. The piece of art is just so well done, and you've framed it well for your shot - on the downside I'm finding that the visible texture of the wall is making it feel a little soft.
In terms of photography I'd have to go for number 1. The smoother texture of that wall has just produced a sharper looking image.

Beginnings - you've done a good job on the sky replacement. I don't have any problems with that at all - it has been done since the early days of photography. I used to try it in the darkroom but it is much easier now with digital.

It's a lovely shot, but I'd like to see it rotated so that the fence posts were vertical - even if they weren't really :LOL:

You're not a control freak by any chance, Sarah? :LOL:. I love the way the slant of the wall and the posts follows the slope of the hill and the wind-blown bracken.

Art - I like all of these and find it difficult to choose one, but I think my fav is no.2 for the colours and the more abstract nature of the image. IMO a close-up approach like you have here works better than trying to get in more of the building.

Very well done Chris, a great idea and fits the theme perfectly. I agree, done well, this stuff can look great, and that's done well, and shot very well... Not so keen on #2 and my thoughts are split between 1 and 3... but I think the textured surface in 3 edges it.

Back