Calling all Sony Alpha users! (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you have in the way of Canon kit? - have a load of Sony/Minolta kit may be looking to exchange.

1D mkII went yesterday. All that is left is a 85mm 1.8 and a 580EX II. Everything else is there for the family now if they ever want to learn.

I cant even buy any KM/Alpha mount stuff till the adaptor is avail :(

I cant even buy any KM/Alpha mount stuff till the adaptor is avail :(

Its not worth buying Alpha lenses to use on NEX, you have much less functionality than you'd get on an Alpha DSLR.

If using Alpha lenses is your goal, a Sony A300 or A350 will do the job with full functionality (AF and in-body IS), and cost less.

Last edited:
Its not worth buying Alpha lenses to use on NEX, you have much less functionality than you'd get on an Alpha DSLR.

If using Alpha lenses is your goal, a Sony A300 or A350 will do the job with full functionality (AF and in-body IS), and cost less.
Huh, the only functionality I lose is MF which I can live with since most of my work is static.

and what about the size of the lenses compared to the NEX, trust me i agree with puddleduck. also MF can be a PITA even when shooting statics, i would rather get an md adapter and nice some nice rokkor primes.
Only one way to really find out. Will see how it goes either way, I have started on a custom mount to take my Canon's but no matter what, MF is lost unless its their E-mount lenses. :(

Tempted by rokkors for the NEX but a whole new ballpark for mounts etc. Will have to research that all.

and what about the size of the lenses compared to the NEX, trust me i agree with puddleduck. also MF can be a PITA even when shooting statics, i would rather get an md adapter and nice some nice rokkor primes.

Exactly. For manual focus, a genuine MF lens like Rokkor or M42 lenses are much nicer to use than an AF lens - AF lens have small focus rings, and are not well damped and are not designed with MF in mind at all really.

A real MF lens on NEX is quite a nice prospect. Using huge Alpha lenses seems quite silly to me - they dwarf the body.

Teshi, do it, I would love to see the look on peoples faces when you pull out a nex-5 + adaptor+ 70-400 G :D

Hmmm, lets see how it goes. :) For now, I am really enjoying just getting back into touch with using a LCD screen for composition. It is nice actually since it helps whilst I wear glasses and in low light even comparing it to a massive VF.

For now, some more pics from the NEX-5. Really impressed with its low light abilities. Sure there are limits and the flash is not creative enough BUT it is a very good start.

4714510682_8f2521fc3d.jpg

Larger version

4715207579_5814b0f336.jpg

Larger version

4715213031_b0b30357c3.jpg

Larger version

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of high ISO work from Sony APS-C sensors - the middle image has some awful watercolour artefacting in the bokeh areas to the rear, even on the tiny shot you posted.

Could be a raw conversion issue, but it looks dreadful. Did you shoot some JPEGs as well? Apparently Sony have improved JPEG processing (should be more like IDC 3.2)

Have you tried printing it?

Been meaning to do this for a while.. quick "how to" on changing focus screen on the A900 from stock "G" type.

1) Packaging. Before

DSC_9935.jpg

2) Supplied tweesers for the job. Plus replacement screen.

DSC_9936.jpg

3) Remove the lens and tip the body on its back. Need to push where the blue arrow is to drop the stock screen.

DSC_9937.jpg

4) Screen dropped ready for removal. Once its in that state, in can be grabbed with the white tweesers and pulled out. New screen drops in and replaces it.

DSC_9938.jpg

5) Tell the A900 the screen has changed (can impact metering) - type "G" is the stock screen.

DSC_9941.jpg

In this case I'm putting in the type "L" acute-matt for landscape shooters.

DSC_9944.jpg

Job done.

(no Sony A900's were harmed during the making of this post!)

What is the difference between the various focusing screens? I hear them talked about but have never seen anything other than the standard one fitted to a camera.

What is the difference between the various focusing screens? I hear them talked about but have never seen anything other than the standard one fitted to a camera.

The "L" screen which I fitted has gridlines for landscape / architectural work. Brightness seems the same as the standard "G".

I also want to get the "M" screen for manual focus - the "G" screen isn't really very good for manual focus lenses.

IMHO the "L" should be the stock screen rather than the "G".

Ta :). I can see how gridlines would help, my horizons are normally wonky and I don't notice until I get the images on the computer.

Does the L screen still show the different AF points if using the joystick to move it away from the centre?

Ta :). I can see how gridlines would help, my horizons are normally wonky and I don't notice until I get the images on the computer.

Does the L screen still show the different AF points if using the joystick to move it away from the centre?

Yep, you still get the focus points in red when selected as normal.

I suffer wonky horizon syndrome as well :LOL:

Just thought I'd let people know, if they didn't already, I believe Argos still has stock on the Sony A700. £730 body only I think. Bit out of my price range (hence why I'm going 2nd hand). But it's the last place I know of that sell them.
Linky

I assume you meant to say 2006 rather than 1996. ;)

Well spotted that man! I think I got it the year I married Mrs M, it obviously feels like much longer than it has been in reality.

Last edited:
right guys need your help, made a massive mistake!!!

I thought I would have a go and trying to clean behind my focus screen on my A200 as I have had some dust on it for a while, got my tweezers and then pushed out metal clip which went flying and my metal tweezers caught the focus screen therefore scratching it ARGGGG :( I know its a stupid thing to do!

I managed to put it back together but no when looking through my view piece it has black marks on, I now need to get a new one or send my camera off to be repaired!!

What should I do? It does not show on any of the photos.

right guys need your help, made a massive mistake!!!

I thought I would have a go and trying to clean behind my focus screen on my A200 as I have had some dust on it for a while, got my tweezers and then pushed out metal clip which went flying and my metal tweezers caught the focus screen therefore scratching it ARGGGG :( I know its a stupid thing to do!

I managed to put it back together but no when looking through my view piece it has black marks on, I now need to get a new one or send my camera off to be repaired!!

What should I do? It does not show on any of the photos.

Give Sony a call in Pencoed, they'd probably sell you the part, or at least give you the part number. Alternatively, maybe you could replace it with one of those Ebay focus screens (usually aimed for manual focus)

For the bargain hunters, J.essops are selling the CZ 16-80 ZA lens for £399 at the moment.

Very nice lens optically, if a bit "plasticy" in build quality compared to the other ZA lenses (which are massively solid and correspondingly heavy).

Give Sony a call in Pencoed, they'd probably sell you the part, or at least give you the part number. Alternatively, maybe you could replace it with one of those Ebay focus screens (usually aimed for manual focus)

What do you think the chances are of Sony selling me the part? Also are those ones of ebay anygood? Better than the Sony stock one?

What do you think the chances are of Sony selling me the part? Also are those ones of ebay anygood? Better than the Sony stock one?

Give 'em a ring - very nice on the phone. I imagine they do it, its an easily replaceable part. If you can find the A200 repair pdf online it will have the part nunber you need.

The Ebay ones are probably OK - they look like "Katzeye" alternatives for Sony. Not tried them myself.

For the bargain hunters, J.essops are selling the CZ 16-80 ZA lens for £399 at the moment.

Very nice lens optically, if a bit "plasticy" in build quality compared to the other ZA lenses (which are massively solid and correspondingly heavy).

SSM or SAM version coming I reckon.

Means a video based DSLR :)gag:) Sony is imminent.

Give 'em a ring - very nice on the phone. I imagine they do it, its an easily replaceable part. If you can find the A200 repair pdf online it will have the part nunber you need.

The Ebay ones are probably OK - they look like "Katzeye" alternatives for Sony. Not tried them myself.

cant seem to find a service manual but there is only one focus screen in the Sony A200 so I am sure if I mention it to them they will know.

Is this the numbers on this website I need to call??

http://www.sonyuktec.co.uk/contactus.html

SSM or SAM version coming I reckon.

Means a video based DSLR :)gag:) Sony is imminent.

I tend to agree - while if I wanted to shoot video I would buy a video camera, I can understand Sony feeling the need to compete with other DSLR brands in this regard.

If it means the rumoured A7xx and A9xx finally arrive then it is no bad thing. Especially if it means a few more A900s on the s/h market as I should have the cash for one by September (my A900 fund was not helped by me buying the 135/1.8 lens from you!).

I'm seriously thinking about picking up another A900 or A850 before they dry up and get "upgraded" with video, which is about as much use as tits on a nun tbh.

I really don't shoot enough with my crop Sony bodies, but I'm thinking about this... I have a Sony 18-250 which I tend to sling on an A350 if I can't really be bothered too much with the A900. Is the CZ 16-80 a really decent lens?

Actually.. price wise it's not that amazing - as the (superb) Nikon 16-85 VR is cheaper, and I'd be very suprised if the Zeiss was optically better. But I don't have any Nikon bodies now...

Tempted to try one...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back