Calling all Sony Alpha users! (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
More pain occurred last night. I nearly sliced my finger open in the process of working on the mount some more.

Not tried out many lenses yet but this is a work in progress. For some reason, the distance between the adaptor is not 100% correct. Best lens that seemed to function was the 85mm 1.8.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4120/4749919445_f173f0928a_b.jpg

Staff Edit : Image(s) removed. (Link(s) left in place). Pictures must not exceed current forum limits as per the rules.
Please feel free to replace this with a fresh/resized image and remove this text

Overall results are not that bad to start.

4751677984_6d4fddbd57.jpg

4751677248_d90f99caae.jpg

4751035901_63168941b3.jpg

Still needs tweaking before I can create a locking plate but getting there. Next is to sort out aperture control and focus abilities. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks an interesting project, did you make the adaptor to fit yourself?

(I never understand the point in putting on huge non-functional lenses on tiny bodies (really defeats the whole point) but as a DIY project its interesting)

It is an ongoing project yes. Hopefully get at least some sort of aperture control from it shortly.

Huge lenses on tiny bodies still has size advantages on its side. So far, even with my 85mm with me, I can fit it all within a small bag and walk about without anyone realising I have £1000 worth of camera gear on me. Still very transportable. :)

It is an ongoing project yes. Hopefully get at least some sort of aperture control from it shortly.

For aperture control, I suspect you would need something phsyical on the mount, to move the actuator.

Have you considered using lenses with aperture rings (ie Nikon AI-S, Minolta MD) - as these have aperture rings on the lenses. Or M42 lenses etc.

anyway, Currys aren't part of the cashback promotion.

Eh? Of course they are - official Sony UK stock supplied by a major Sony retailer.

I got my A900 from Currys and their goods are absolutely supplied by Sony UK.

what's that "hot5" ? :thinking:

Sorry - HOT05 - its a 5% off voucher if you spend over £200.

You enter it at checkout (I used a different code)

SONY - DSLR-A500L Digital SLR Camera with DT 18-55mm SAM Zoom Lens 1 758096 £ 429.98 £ 429.98
Order totals
Product costs (inc. services) £ 429.98
Delivery costs free
currys5 £ -21.50
Total cost £ 408.48

Off course if the cashback did end June, its not quite the bargain now but you'd get £75 for the lens no problem (the 18-55 is actually a very good lens mind you). So a new body for £350 no problem (minus another £80 if bought last month)

Last edited:
i might have to try that when i can afford it (hopefully in the very near future) as my a300 body is getting a bit old and would love a second body, although lenses come first.

The A300 is very nice - cracking IQ for landscape work.

I've got a Sony A350 as my A900 backup. Stonking sensor around ISO100 / 200. I need to see how the A500 shapes up in comparison. I only care about image quality (and viewfinder size) - slight fly in the ointment is that I realised the A500 takes SD cards which is a bummer whereas the A350 and A900 take the same batteries and cards. Bit annoying!

I have an A350 too and love it. (only lens up untill this morning was a SAL 17-200 which is pretty versitile for normal stuff)

Bought myself a 70-300 G SSM yesterday that got delivered my camerabox today (great service and price). What a lovley lens! Going to give it a real test tomorrow at Brands. Can't wait.

Last edited:
For aperture control, I suspect you would need something phsyical on the mount, to move the actuator.

Have you considered using lenses with aperture rings (ie Nikon AI-S, Minolta MD) - as these have aperture rings on the lenses. Or M42 lenses etc.
For the NEX, aperture control is electronic same with Canon so in theory, I should be able to get it going. I got an aperture reading once but the contacts touching but wasn't long enough for me to figure out the sequence.

Looks like the lens will not need chip adjustments either. :)

For the NEX, aperture control is electronic same with Canon so in theory, I should be able to get it going. I got an aperture reading once but the contacts touching but wasn't long enough for me to figure out the sequence.

Looks like the lens will not need chip adjustments either. :)

I imagine the Canon lens uses fairly standard serial comms over the interface - does NEX as well?

I'm sure you are going to need to put an IC in there somewhere to get this to work. I don' think its just a case of "joining the dots" pin wise, as the chances of them being protocol compatible (I'm guessing this is a serial interface) is going to be remote.

Very interested to see how you handle voltage line and command differences!

I might want to get 50mm f1.4 in the future and if i'm correct there might be some AF issues. that I would need to adjust a bit . can I do it on my a200 ? was it called micro adjusting ? have never needed to do that.

No AF issues with mine. Horrifically sharp in the centre wide open, I will keep this for a long time yet, its a much smaller package than the supposedly better Sigma 50.

Why do you think there will be AF issues with the 50mm f1.4?

I checked ebay, looked at used 50mm and the seller said that he did need to tweek it a little bit for his a700 but not for a900 .
I'm not worried about the 50mm so much as I think that it will be all right. it's more of a wondering about the micro adjustments in my a200 or do I need special program for it .

You can't do micro-adjustments in any Sony body apart from the A850 and A900.

(I don't use this feature as all my lenses and bodies are spot on)

I checked ebay, looked at used 50mm and the seller said that he did need to tweek it a little bit for his a700 but not for a900 .
I'm not worried about the 50mm so much as I think that it will be all right. it's more of a wondering about the micro adjustments in my a200 or do I need special program for it .

Sounds odd. I've been using the 50 1.4 on my A700 for 2 years and not had any issues so hopefully you shouldn't.

I'm scratching my head wondering how the seller "tweaked" it for his A700?

"SONY 50mm f/1.4 full frame lens for all Alpha series DSLR cameras.

Used but clean, less than one year old but not sure if has a registered warranty. It is a UK lens though.

On A900 it is a very good lens which needed no micro adjustment to work flawlessly on full frame. On A700 it is also sharp wide open (f/1.4) but then I have fine tuned the AF accuracy on me camera, yours may be different. I am confident it is a good sharp copy though, I have been using it at f/1.4 exclusively.

A few signs of use but essentially it is as good as new with caps, hood, box etc etc.

Paypal preferred. Shipping UK only by RM Special Delivery. Thanks for looking!"

copy/paste from ebay ! :D . it sounded odd to me too. that's why i'm asking about this stuff.

"SONY 50mm f/1.4 full frame lens for all Alpha series DSLR cameras.

Used but clean, less than one year old but not sure if has a registered warranty. It is a UK lens though.

On A900 it is a very good lens which needed no micro adjustment to work flawlessly on full frame. On A700 it is also sharp wide open (f/1.4) but then I have fine tuned the AF accuracy on me camera, yours may be different. I am confident it is a good sharp copy though, I have been using it at f/1.4 exclusively.

A few signs of use but essentially it is as good as new with caps, hood, box etc etc.

Paypal preferred. Shipping UK only by RM Special Delivery. Thanks for looking!"

copy/paste from ebay ! :D . it sounded odd to me too. that's why i'm asking about this stuff.

OK, what he is saying is that his A700 AF is out-of-whack, not the lens.

If its fine on a A900 (which has super accurate focusing) the lens is OK.

edit post as forgot Sony never sells here!

Last edited:
Guys,

I need help!! I'm trying to get hold of the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM II but can I find anywhere with it in stock....NO......:bang:

Sigma apparently won't be getting any in until early August but I have a wedding on 21st August. Do I wait and risk not getting the lens in time or bite the bullet and buy the Tamron instead?? The Sigma HSM appeals to me. Can't quite justify the Sony if I'm honest.

I'm not going to be shooting fast action with it....just low light and your typical wedding shots. Perhaps use it in the studio too. Do I really need the HSM?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Mahbub

I had the HSM for for a bit - its very good, but a 20 year old Minolta 80-200 f/2.8 APO HS outperformed it for focus speed and wide open sharpness. I sold the Sigma (let mine go for £450 UK stock, boxed and mint as a price guide a week or so ago).

I think I'd recommend it, but I'm very confident a Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 will be sharper wide open. I'd put money on it in fact. However I wouldn't pay the new price for the Sigma really... if you can find a nice used one for less than £500 go for it. I'd pick the Tamron if I bought one again

I'm scratching my head wondering how the seller "tweaked" it for his A700?

I'm wondering if the seller actually 'tweaked' his A700? I've seen a few threads describing adjustments of the three screws under the body to fine tune the sensor position- a kind of DIY micro adjustment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back