Clud17 52 Part 2 Week 44 Train

Hi Chris, I have some catching up to do. I just love your relaxtion shot - very clever indeed :clap::clap::clap:

Your grace shot is a very clever take on the theme - she really looks as if she is in dis-grace. Excellent and B/W was a good choice.

Endings - what a powerful shot. Bang on theme and very cleverly done. :clap::clap::clap:

Jenny

That's got to be the image of the week Chris :clap:
Absolutely love it (if love is the right word for this sort of thing :puke:)

Obviously a huge amount of effort went into it (I can't believe that you bought the tiles specifically for it) but it's really paid off.
Lighting, blood, PP is all spot on. And the imperfect tiling actually works with it.

I can't see any issue with the image quality at this size - but if it's visible at full size I don't think it matters. IMO this is one of those shots where a bit of graininess and imperfection adds to the overall feel.

10/10 from me.

p.s. On a more cheerful note, the family shot from last week is great. You all look like you're really enjoying yourselves and I love the fact that you got the dog in there too.
Definitely one to keep for the album.

thanks very much Sarah, maybe i could make a job out of imperfect tiling :LOL: Im quite surprised with the family shot that i managed to get the dog looking at the camera, with no one at the camera im not sure who he is looking at.

Week 31 Electric

I thought this was going to be an easy theme but it took me a while to figure out what to do. Once i had decided upon this it was just a case of waiting for some decent skies.

Royd Moor wind farm is a 20minute drive from me so when the skies started to shape up for a decent sunset i jumped in the car and set off. It was all a bit of a rush to get there before the sun went down but i got a couple of good shots. The composition could be better but if it had been i wouldn't have got the wonderful sun rays poking in between. The public accessis limited too and there was a field full of cows in front of it so most of the other shots have annoying distractions in them.

Wind versus Sun
4865819197_ac14a0a202_z.jpg

Last edited:
Cracking sky and you've managed to retain enough detail in fields and turbines too. The front turbine is a little too close to center for my liking, needs moving slightly left and up in the frame I think. Guessing the starburst is added in PP as well, doesn't look natural and could do with being removed :) But overall I really like this image.

Cracking sky and you've managed to retain enough detail in fields and turbines too. The front turbine is a little too close to center for my liking, needs moving slightly left and up in the frame I think. Guessing the starburst is added in PP as well, doesn't look natural and could do with being removed :) But overall I really like this image.

Thanks Darren, its a bad guess as the star burst is completely natural, thats whty i chose this shot with a less than great composition over the rest i took. The only pp on this one is a sharpen and a slight border.:)

Oops. My bad :) I'll take that hat with the D on.

Chris,

Sorry been out of the 52 loop for a couple of weeks and looking like mine is going to have a considerable break in it.

Loving that picture - a cracking idea for the theme and a really good subject......... a little bit of luck to get the sun like that maybe, but hey, luck helps us all sometimes.

Lynton

I like this a lot Chris, the colour tones in the image really work. I like the horizontal lines of the fields almost mimicked in the horizon and sky. The sunburst through the wind turbine propellors is a nice touch too. Iain

Chris,

Sorry been out of the 52 loop for a couple of weeks and looking like mine is going to have a considerable break in it.

Loving that picture - a cracking idea for the theme and a really good subject......... a little bit of luck to get the sun like that maybe, but hey, luck helps us all sometimes.

Lynton

Thanks Lynton, you certainly are are having a break or two. If i were you i'd put my feet up:LOL:

Catch-up from me!

Really like relaxation - I think the blended clouds work very well. (y)

(Dis)Grace doesn't do a lot for me - B&W conversion is competent but the pose is awkward and the composition static -:thumbsdown:

Respect for the effort and execution (if you pardon the poor taste pun) of Endings. I like the image as it is but understand the comments on the positioning of the knife. Another possible image would be to have the subject kneeling with one hand holding the cut arm's wrist and the bloodied knife just in front on the tiles, but only showing the knees and the arms of the subject.

Electric is a beautiful landscape and I love the way you've retained just enough detail on the ground without unbalancing the gorgeous sky.

Phil

Lovely shot for Electric Chris. Just enough detail in the foreground, lovely colour in the sky and a cracking starburst.

I love that, Chris. You judged the sunset just right and getting a 'perfect' star burst was an added bonus. I'm sure the wind turbine owners would pay good money for a 'feel good' shot like that. :)

I think it might benefit from a very slight crop off the top to lose some of the sky, but it's still a cracking shot and a great take on the theme. :clap::clap::clap:

Jean

I love that, Chris. You judged the sunset just right and getting a 'perfect' star burst was an added bonus. I'm sure the wind turbine owners would pay good money for a 'feel good' shot like that. :)

I think it might benefit from a very slight crop off the top to lose some of the sky, but it's still a cracking shot and a great take on the theme. :clap::clap::clap:

Jean

thanks Jean, maybe i should send them a low res copy and see if they like it. i did consider a smaller crop but actually thought it didnt look quite right with a tighter one.

Catch-up from me!

Really like relaxation - I think the blended clouds work very well. (y)

(Dis)Grace doesn't do a lot for me - B&W conversion is competent but the pose is awkward and the composition static -:thumbsdown:

Respect for the effort and execution (if you pardon the poor taste pun) of Endings. I like the image as it is but understand the comments on the positioning of the knife. Another possible image would be to have the subject kneeling with one hand holding the cut arm's wrist and the bloodied knife just in front on the tiles, but only showing the knees and the arms of the subject.

Electric is a beautiful landscape and I love the way you've retained just enough detail on the ground without unbalancing the gorgeous sky.

Phil

Thanks Phil, i like the idea you suggested for endings, i was a bit short of space for this one as terraced houses never quite have enough space so im not sure it is feasible.

I really love this one, Chris. :clap::clap::clap: The sky is just beautiful and I like the way the fields are not completely in silhouette - just enough light to make them out. And the starburst - did you really get that in camera or did you add it later? Fantastic.

Jenny

thanks Jenny, yep it was all caught in camera, im very pleased and very fortunate, it wasn't intentional.

thanks Jenny, yep it was all caught in camera, im very pleased and very fortunate, it wasn't intentional.

LOL. Sorry for doubting you. Early on in my 52 I caught a lovely starburst on an icicle. I have no idea how I did it and I doubt I will ever manage it again!!

Jenny

That's beautiful Chris.

Stunning sky and you were so lucky to catch the sun in that position :clap:
Composition is not quite there, but I think it's worth the sacrifice to get the starburst in. A perfect composition without the sun effect wouldn't have quite the same impact.

Now if you could have managed perfect composition and got the sun like that . . . (I don't want much do I? :D)

That's beautiful Chris.

Stunning sky and you were so lucky to catch the sun in that position :clap:
Composition is not quite there, but I think it's worth the sacrifice to get the starburst in. A perfect composition without the sun effect wouldn't have quite the same impact.

Now if you could have managed perfect composition and got the sun like that . . . (I don't want much do I? :D)

Thanks Sarah, i dont think its too much to ask, i've tried putting my order in for perfect conditions and unlimited access to all farmland to improve compositions but the powers above are not listening :sulk:

Lovely image Chris, spot on colours and exposure... I'm in two minds whether it should have been slightly longer exposure to get some blur in the rotors or not... the blur would look good, but then you'd lose the clarity of the patterns. as is...

Cracking set of diffraction spikes there to... what lens was this show with and how many aperture blades ? or was that also a combined effect of the turbines ?

Lovely image Chris, spot on colours and exposure... I'm in two minds whether it should have been slightly longer exposure to get some blur in the rotors or not... the blur would look good, but then you'd lose the clarity of the patterns. as is...

Cracking set of diffraction spikes there to... what lens was this show with and how many aperture blades ? or was that also a combined effect of the turbines ?

Thanks John, i was thinking about motion blur but when i got the camera out i just started snapping and left the tripod in the car.
The picture was taken with an 85mm 1.8 which i believe has 9 blades, it was taken at f14 1/100 ISO 100

Really like that electric shot Chris, the colours are very nice.

Exactly the sort of shot you would see in a magazine/brochure as an advertisement for green energy etc.

Well done!

Week 32 Transform

Ive been meaning to test out the time lapse feature on my camera for a while, i would like to have a go at some decent landscape sequences but this theme gave me the opportunity to have a go on a smaller project.

This was 720 pictures taken at 5 minute intervals over a one hour period. I had several attempts so i have bumped up my shutter count this weekend. during one failed attempt i went into my kitchen and on the way back i turned the light off, when i went back to it the last 150 shots were black:LOL::amstupid:

The transformation part is the change from solid state to liquid.

It took a while and a new thread on TP to figure out how to stitch it together, i would have liked to attach a music file to it but thats for another day. Im not sure how to attach the file here rather than a link but ill work on it unless someone can help me out. Anyway click the link for Fade Away and let me know. The quality is much worse than i have on my PC here unfortunatly

Fade Away click here

Last edited:
Catching up here...

Endings: gruesome but fits the theme and you have done a great job with it. The processing works very well too.

Electric: now I can breathe freely again! Lovely colours and light is perfectly judged to give a hint of detail. The sunburst is stunning, so worth sacrificing the composition slightly.

Transform: beautiful - great idea that you have brought off well, though ideally I would have liked it to be a little longer so that the transformation was complete.

Last edited:
Fade away works well Chris. Even though you had a few hiccups along the way, you've achieved what you set out to do, thats what this 52 is all about after all. I must try time lapse some time it must have a lot of possibilities. Iain

Well done for achieving what you set out to do. I'm sure you're already looking for your next subject to time lapse :)

Very clever idea and great execution - would love to see it much larger to get the full impact.

Phil

Thanks guys,

Phil, i would have loved to have posted the larger version but i couldn't upload it in the .mov format it was created.(Flckr,utube and facebook all rejected it) When i changed it to .avi it looked like an old movie with specs and dust popping up all over. I tried a different program to change it to .avi and the file was 860mb and would have taken about 3 weeks to upload:LOL: Im still learning on this one. The mp4 file was about the best i could manage to keep the quality but as you say its a bit small to get the full impact.

Week 33 Mobile

Not much thought has gone into this week really, ive been pretty busy. I took the opportunity tonight when i came across this little bugger munching on my horseradish. I tried to shoot it outside but the light was fading and i didn't want to bump up the iso too much. He didn't mind too much as i removed the leaf and took him in to my kitchen.

He's quite lucky really as after i'd finished my shoot i put him back outside with the leaf. Normally his ass would be squished or hurled 10 feet over the wall. I figured as he had helped me with my project i'd cut him some slack and leave him alone (for tonight).

Just a quick note to the rest of the slippery suckers, im not going soft and if you dare go near the foliage in my garden i shall take action and have my vengance!

Mobile Home
4911337246_759302feeb_z.jpg

A cracking fun take on this weeks theme Chris, a nice sharp image, well lit too. My only crit, a small one is that your little 'friend' is a tad too central in the frame.
Oh and as for the warning to the rest of his gang, I am not sure if there will be that many of them on TP that will read and heed your warning :LOL:
Iain

Perhaps a little central as Iain says (hey why not I did it myself ;)) but the light reflections are spoiling it most for me. Did you use flash or is it just kitchen lights?

I like this one like the fact it is central in the leaf otherwise there would just be too much space.

Good take on the theme.

Hi Chris, I really like this one. It is so difficult to get a whole snail in focus (I speak from experience!). Personally, I would have moved him slightly down and to the left to get him moving into the leaf.

Be careful, you may have them all queuing up to audition, X Factor style :eek:

Great take on the theme.

Jenny

Ha - works really well for the theme. Ideally could be a bit more off centre but it hardly matters here. You have caught the details of the leaf and shell really well. The flash is a little hard, perhaps, but you can't have had much time to set it all up. I really like this one!

Back