Medium format camera suggestions?

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
As part of my transition into the world of film photography I picked up a Diana F+ and played around with 120 format film for a little while before deciding the lowfi effect is not really for me. However, I am intrigued by the whole medium format range of cameras, and I'd like to put the rolls and rolls of 120 colour film I bought to good use, so here's my question:

What would be an interesting, good-value medium format camera to experiment with?

I am all about the trying of new things - I'd like a camera which makes the most of the advantages of medium format, and ideally something that is a bit different from the stuff I already have, namely some fully automatic 35mm SLRs and compacts, and a basic aperture-priority rangefinder.

I just want to try something new, and the only limitations are 120 format compatible, and as cheap as possible! My habit is costing me far too much lately...

Thanks!

Mimaya C220?

I got one a few weeks ago and it's very different to anything I've used before.:p

Still waiting for the photos to get back to me though, hopefully they should finally arrive in the next couple of days!

That does look like it would be interesting to use! I've never gotten my hands on a TLR (though I love the look of the things). I'm afraid that one might be a little out of my price range, though...

I managed to pick up a decent C330 for well under £100 including postage. Likewise an immaculate C33 for about the same. Both with lenses, 80mm and 105mm respectively.
I think with ebay it's a matter of patience and watching, not jumping on the first 'buy-it-now' you see and ignoring some of the frankly ludicrous asking prices.
I have to say, they're a joy to use :)

The only budget MF cameras nowadays are 120 folders. Some are so-so, others superb. Mamiya and Yashica TLRs aren't cheap anymore.

Yashica TLR is a cracking camera, built in meter, 80mm f3.5 lens, a copy of the old Rolleiflex and I think they are fab bit of kit.

I managed to pick up a decent C330 for well under £100 including postage. Likewise an immaculate C33 for about the same. Both with lenses, 80mm and 105mm respectively.

The Mamiya C-series generally go for a lot more than that. My impression is 120 has become quite fashionable among users disillusioned (or bored) with toy camera aesthetics. Clean C330s are getting quite expensive. The Mamiya Press is a great camera and six months ago was available at bargain prices but clean ones go for (well) upwards of £200 now.

Ross Ensign Selfix 16-20. I got mine for under £20 and I am constantly amazed at the quality of the images.

For example

4972188014_5480aa5a99_b.jpg

Andy

Eyes now open for C330s and C33s, any recommended models are appreciated, or even just useful websites you can point me in the direction of!

I know very little about digi cameras but I used to own a Bronica etrs you can pick up one with a prism view finder, power/speed grip , 75mm lens 120 back for about £300 go for the etrsi version if you can,TTL flash capability, via an SCA adapter for whatever brand of flash unit. also the lenses have dropped so much in price it's a bargin.

I picked up a Mamiya 645J with a waist level finder and 80mm lens eBay for about £75 a few months ago.

Keep your eyes peeled and there are usually some to be found for under £100.

Quite fun an relatively compact. Smaller neg than 6x6, obviously.

The Mamiya C-series generally go for a lot more than that. My impression is 120 has become quite fashionable among users disillusioned (or bored) with toy camera aesthetics. Clean C330s are getting quite expensive.

I think you're right, that's my growing impression too. My C330 isn't mint, it has definite signs of wear and some cosmetic damage but it's in fine working order. But searching just now, it looks like I hit damn lucky.
Needless to say, both were from private sellers, which can be more of a gamble. Pertinent extra questions to ask are:
Any oil on the diaphragm
Slow (sub-1/30) shutter speeds not sticking
Bellows in very good condition
The usual no fungus on the lens

Eyes now open for C330s and C33s, any recommended models are appreciated, or even just useful websites you can point me in the direction of!

I looked at http://www.butkus.org/chinon/mamiya.htm ,
downloaded and read through the manuals. A Google for 'Mamiya C series' will get you some results, too. There's naturally a wiki plus a campeadia. the links for which I no longer have, sos :-(

I have a C330 which I bought almost 30 years ago from an old man who was selling to a carefull owner only as it was his pride and joy. I havent used it for years and reckon its still worth what I paid for it. How many things can you say that about these days?

The Mamiya C330 is a fantastic camera, a medium format twin lens reflex that has interchangeable lenses. I used a couple for many years to photograph weddings and was never let down by them. Like an idiot I sold them on ebay a few years back when everybody started to go over to digital. The old Rollieflex and Rolliecords used to be fairly cheap to pick up, they are optically superb and deliver fantastic results, though you cannot change the lenses.
The Yashica twin lens cameras, also give excellant results, but I always found them too flimsy for heavy usage. Back some time ago it was possible to pick up a Kiev 80 very cheaply, these were Russian copies of the Hassleblad 500 and gave good results, though again would not stand up to heavy usage.
All things considered, I would pay the extra money and invest in a well looked after Mamyia C330, they are tough, reliable, and give as good an image as the Hasselblad 500CM that I had at the same time as the Mamiyas.

I think you answered your own question earlier in the for sale section lol... and what a bargain you got!!

Best medium format camera I ever owned was a Mamia RB67.

I'm still looking for a decent Agiflex rangefinder. It's part of my heritage, they were made right here in Croydon!

Back