Clud17 52 Part 2 Week 44 Train

An interesting idea, but it doesn't quite do it for me - looking forward to plan a!

Phil

interesting idea - contrast between the crisp clean martini and the dark dirt. Wonder what plan A was !?

Quite an interesting shot and it is well lit, but doesn't really say "dirty" to me. I hope we see plan A sometime.

Project Part 1 - Fantastic lighting and a nice air of mystery surrounding the figure. I like the area directly beneath the sun and clouds.

Project Part 2 - Nice lighting, a good crop, as Darren said it is like she is indecisive about the smile but it looks more natural.

It is evident that you spent time composing these shots as they work very well.

Film - Great image, I particularly like how you have the smoke... you can't have got that right first time! The head tilt just enough to hide the eyes adds to the atmosphere and the half undone tie. It makes me think private eye.

Dirty - Some of the takes on this theme I wouldn't have thought of, but when I seen them it was an 'of course' moment. This is truly a unique take on the theme and something I definitely wouldn't have though off. Well composed, I never thought I would say this line... but your soil looks great, its two takes on one theme that are entirely different and I like it. I am also interested to know what plan A was?

Last edited:
I've looked at this a couple of times, trying to make my mind up about it. :thinking:

I like the cool elegant look of the glass (and the drink!) but it seems at odds with the dirty background. I realise this was Plan C, and by then I would have been a lot more interested in consuming the drink than photographing it! So well done for getting a shot at all. :D tbh, I'm not sure what else you could have done with it, so having offered no useful advice at all, I'll shut up! After all, I passed a clean dog off as a ditry one for my feeble attempt this week! :eek:

I hope your model is soon better and look forward to seeing Plan A. (y)

Jean

Project Part 1 - Fantastic lighting and a nice air of mystery surrounding the figure. I like the area directly beneath the sun and clouds.

Project Part 2 - Nice lighting, a good crop, as Darren said it is like she is indecisive about the smile but it looks more natural.

It is evident that you spent time composing these shots as they work very well.

Film - Great image, I particularly like how you have the smoke... you can't have got that right first time! The head tilt just enough to hide the eyes adds to the atmosphere and the half undone tie. It makes me think private eye.

Dirty - Some of the takes on this theme I wouldn't have thought of, but when I seen them it was an 'of course' moment. This is truly a unique take on the theme and something I definitely wouldn't have though off. Well composed, I never thought I would say this line... but your soil looks great, its two takes on one theme that are entirely different and I like it. I am also interested to know what plan A was?

thanks for dropping by Rick and commenting, :LOL::LOL::LOL: I was thinking exactly the same about my soil and how wholesome rich and organic it looks.

Last edited:
That's unusual Chris... The soil sure looks very much dirtier than you would think, but that's bought out by the crisp clean lines of the glass, the drink doesn't look dirty, but I'm not sure how you could show the brine in the drink to indicate a "Dirty Martini"... I like it.

Week 39 Rage

I spent most of the week scratching my head wondering what to do. I didn't fancy a SP of me popping my eyes out at the camera in a rage, i thought about smashing up an old play station and calling it rage against the machine but wasnt too enthusiastic about that either. Finally when the rain held off i set off out with the dog for a stomp. I figured that the rain off the hills would be raging down the brook so i took my camera with me.

Wyming brook, just west of Sheffield is about a mile long stretch of cascading falls in woodland. I very rewarding walk in amazing scenery.

Wyming Brook
5047859409_3edbb35868_z.jpg

Last edited:
bottom of the image looks like liquid chocolate mmm. Not sure if the water looks too smooth to be raging but love the colours.

bottom of the image looks like liquid chocolate mmm. Not sure if the water looks too smooth to be raging but love the colours.

Ha ha , its definitely not chocolate otherwise me and the dog would be face in lapping away. I was going to get a shot that froze the action but the light was poor and to get a fast shutter speed i'd have to bump up the iso, i wasn't keen on doing this so i opted for the longer exposure.

It's missing a little something for me Chris. I think the water is a little overpowered by the intense green of the surrounding foliage and detracts a little from the power of the raging torrent. I want to see water in my face.

That being said it's a good take on the theme :)

Thats a beautiful photograph. the greens are lovely and the slow shutter speed has created a lovely effect. A different take on the theme.Well done

Nice one, Chris. I think the motion blur does give it a bit of a raging feel. Nice colours and composition. Good take on the theme (y)

Jenny

thanks ladies, i know this kind of water shot is not to everyone's taste but i like it. Its a lovely place and i spent a good time taking shots, at one point i was actually in the brook, thank god for gaiters and boots

It's missing a little something for me Chris. I think the water is a little overpowered by the intense green of the surrounding foliage and detracts a little from the power of the raging torrent. I want to see water in my face.

That being said it's a good take on the theme :)

thanks Darren, there was an awful lot of green about. I have a few other shots with less which i may take a look at.

I like the composition and the swirl of the water, even though it is perhaps not quite fierce enough for 'rage'. So much green does make it seem a bit serene, though - maybe a mono conversion might be worth trying?

Dirty - Doesn't really hit the mark with me I'm afraid. You have captured the glass and the drink exceptionally well. Not an easy subject to light. I think the whole image looks too bright to be described as dirty though. I can see what you wanted to do but I don't think it's turned out as you'd hoped.

Rage - a god interpretation of the theme. Doesn't really shout raging torrent though. I think it has too much green as others have said. A B&W with less exposure may work well. I also see this as a portrait crop rather than landscape. That would could out some of the greenery and concentrate more on the water.

Andy

I really like this landscape, but I don't think the top half is adding much - might be worth cropping to concentrate on the lower section which is really good.

Phil

I like the composition and the swirl of the water, even though it is perhaps not quite fierce enough for 'rage'. So much green does make it seem a bit serene, though - maybe a mono conversion might be worth trying?

Dirty - Doesn't really hit the mark with me I'm afraid. You have captured the glass and the drink exceptionally well. Not an easy subject to light. I think the whole image looks too bright to be described as dirty though. I can see what you wanted to do but I don't think it's turned out as you'd hoped.

Rage - a god interpretation of the theme. Doesn't really shout raging torrent though. I think it has too much green as others have said. A B&W with less exposure may work well. I also see this as a portrait crop rather than landscape. That would could out some of the greenery and concentrate more on the water.

Andy

I really like this landscape, but I don't think the top half is adding much - might be worth cropping to concentrate on the lower section which is really good.

Phil

Cheers for the comments guys, ill take a look at a mono conversion and a crop and see what it adds to it.

I don't think it's quite a raging torrent, but I do like it. It's nicely composed, and the water does look chocolaty, nicely done.

Week 40 Console

I didn't get too excited again this week, another theme that has smothered my creative spirit:(. I couldnt find anyone to console or at least take a shot of that nature so it was a toss up between the Play Station or the mixing console, the mixer won. I tried a few different angles and compositions but this is the one i settled on. Nothing special here but another theme complete.

Mixing Beats
5067928981_43eb66526a_b.jpg

better on black here

You chose the more interesting of the two consoles from your collection I feel. The blue and red lights lead the eye through the image nicely and the dials themselves are well lit and provide an interesting relief against the dark background.

I like it - simple and appealing composition. The blue lights draw the eye through the frame.

Phil

Glad you choose this console and not the play station. Simple but very effective the lights lead the eye nicely into the image

to be honest, i haven't been missing the 52 of the last few weeks........ console! :puke:

As mentioned above, looks like you picked the right choice between the PS whatever and this box of wires and knobs.

Dirty Martini - hmmmm, makes me want to try one of those sometime - though brine in a drink...:puke: An unusual composition but kind of works in an abstract arty farty way.......... I trust a few trial runs of the mixture had to be tested to ensure perfect ratio's......

Nothing much wrong with console at all Chris.
I like it. Nicely composed, well lit and far more interesting than the PlayStation.

I can't add much more to what's been said on dirty and rage. Both great concepts, but the shots aren't quite there.

Here's hoping for a decent theme this week.

to be honest, i haven't been missing the 52 of the last few weeks........ console! :puke:

As mentioned above, looks like you picked the right choice between the PS whatever and this box of wires and knobs.

Dirty Martini - hmmmm, makes me want to try one of those sometime - though brine in a drink...:puke: An unusual composition but kind of works in an abstract arty farty way.......... I trust a few trial runs of the mixture had to be tested to ensure perfect ratio's......

I wouldn't bother with the dirty Martini Lynton, just stick with the normal ones, far better in my opinion:)

You chose the more interesting of the two consoles from your collection I feel. The blue and red lights lead the eye through the image nicely and the dials themselves are well lit and provide an interesting relief against the dark background.

A good photo. The lines are good and the colours stand out well.

I like it - simple and appealing composition. The blue lights draw the eye through the frame.

Phil

Glad you choose this console and not the play station. Simple but very effective the lights lead the eye nicely into the image

Nothing much wrong with console at all Chris.
I like it. Nicely composed, well lit and far more interesting than the PlayStation.

I can't add much more to what's been said on dirty and rage. Both great concepts, but the shots aren't quite there.

Here's hoping for a decent theme this week.

Hi Chris, I really like this one - you've got the lighting just right and the blue and red lights really make it. Excellent take on the theme (y)

Jenny

thanks guys and gals, turns out i got more favourable comments than i anticipated, cheers. :)

Interesting... it's just right, the blues and reds stand out nicely. Spot on (y)

Major catchup from me Chris - apologies if I'm going over the same ground.

Project: Great colour and composition on Another Place (part 1). A great sense of isolation about it.
Clare (part 2) - lovely portrait - great eye contact and great detail in the hair too.

Film: I'm blown away by this shot - superb. I just love it. Great atmosphere. The lighting is spot on. :clap::clap:

Dirty: Hmm, not too sure about this one. Doesn't really say anything to me.

Rage: A nicely detailed shot, again great colours. The water is just a little too soft (smooth - not out of focus) for me to see the rage in it.

Console: I like this. The lighting is good, the colours really lift the image. The left hand side is a little redundant to me. I would have cropped the three sliders and the left hand knob out and made the lights a little less central. Also would have taken the red out of the right hand knobs. But it looks great on black.

Week 41 Distant

This one left me scratching my head again and i couldn't come up with anything too inspiring. This image doesn't shout out "distant" but standing on Stanage Edge in the Peak District at nine o'clock this morning there was plenty to see falling off into the distance. I was a bit disappointed overall with my shots as they all seemed a little soft. probably as my travel tripod is fairly flimsy and there was a little wind about. Any way here's my offering.

Stanage Edge
5089681272_f05e04f5bd_z.jpg

Larger here

Ive also added another idea that i didn't think i would get due to the position of the moon over my house this week. Fortunately it has been a bit higher today and has made it over the neighbours roof . Combined with clear sky i have taken this. Pity i havn't got a bit more reach with my lens as a larger image starts to deteriorate with this crop.

Distant Satellite (Waxing Gibbous)
5090294733_c61141991d_o.jpg

On black

Last edited:
Like them both - shows how distant can vary in distance very well. Like the colours in the first one.

I prefer the first picture of Stanage Edge. Its a lovely view looking into the distance.The detail on the foreground rock is good with the lichen.
It certainly is a lovely view Sue, it was a clear crisp morning too, perfect for a stroll with the dog and camera.

Like them both - shows how distant can vary in distance very well. Like the colours in the first one.

Cheers mate the colours are beautiful this time of year.

I'm not sure about the first Chris. The softness of the mid to background isn't working for me and the foreground (as sharp and interesting as it is) has lost any sense of scale for me.

You've got some nice detail in your moon shot, but this is a case where bigger is very much better when it comes to lenses.

Hi Chris, I think for the first shot, I would have preferred the distant scenery in focus and the rocks OOF. That would have fitted the theme better.

Love the moon shot. Yes, very distant and significantly better than any moon shot I have ever done. I really like it slap bang in the middle of the photo.

Jenny

Both images work well to the theme Chris but I am probably edging more towards your moon image. The top image maybe just needs a focal point in the background/distance to draw the viewers eye into the image and beyond the foreground. I do like the detail in the rocks and lichen though. The colours too are particularly attractive. Iain

Gonna have to agree with Iain, Chris... both are good, both have distant in them, but the first, whilst being an interesting shot, doesn't show the distant very well... The moon image, on the other hand, given such a "short" focal length :LOL: has come out very nicely indeed. Nice details, there's hints of the Clavius crater chain, Copernicus and Plato look great too. Even getting some colour delineation creeping in.

Back