Project: Collective30 - Discussion

Well done Raathistle and Sue for days 2 and 3 :clap: :clap: :clap:

Raathistle for shooting somewhere that you've wanted to do for a while and doing so well with the stitching.

Sue for capturing the moment and Mark's personality. For me that speaks louder than any technical imperfections with the shot and is particularly poignant at this time of year.

Loving Sue's picture of 'Mark' even with the slight blurring, a reminder to us all that there is always someone worse off than yourself. :clap:

Completely agree word for word with Yv, yet again we show how documenting part of the day is miles apart from the glitz and glamour of the pro shoots we see and yet as powerful.
Let's wish mark all the best and hope he gets back on track in the near future - a tough old geezer for surviving the snow!

Totally agree it's nice to see shots that show life as it is not how we would like it to be :(y)

Well done Raathistle and Sue for days 2 and 3 :clap: :clap: :clap:

Raathistle for shooting somewhere that you've wanted to do for a while and doing so well with the stitching.

Sue for capturing the moment and Mark's personality. For me that speaks louder than any technical imperfections with the shot and is particularly poignant at this time of year.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. I was worried about posting an imperfect photo because I know how good most of the others are on here but thought Mark was interesting

Great photos guys, I'm loving the diversity of the challenge already! (y)

So the first of the professionals and look, even they don't get it right all the time! There is hope for us all yet.

I'd also like to add that Phil is one of these pro's that are so approachable with idea's and for help (don't all be PM'ing him now). He has personally helped me in a hell of a lot situations and also allowed me to shoot some great event's including an athletic world record and two weddings with him. We have been to loads of places to shoot, Wildlife being one of our more relaxing traits.

But, Why would a pro do this? you may ask, for I am just a mere hobbyist.
Well as phil clearly stated, he shot his first pro game approx 1 year ago - how did he manage to cross that line? well one of the pinnacle points was a helping hand from another TP member, yes he has put a lot of effort into what he does, travelled countless miles but he would never have got "over the fence" unless someone dragged him along and helped him on his way.

Thank you for your shot today Phil.

Nice shot Phil, am really enjoying the different outlooks that everyone has :)

Well done guys (y)

Sue
A very thought provoking image and a reminder to us all. After looking at the cardboard and blankets, I thought that the image would sadly fit in this week's theme for the 52 for 2011 challenge - Accommodation

Chris

Well done for taking the time and effort to produce your image. I will struggle with a single shot.

Phil
4th January 2011

Edit- Oops it's not straight! :LOL:

Very honest as I probably would not have noticed :D

Last edited:
Well done guys (y)

Sue
A very thought provoking image and a reminder to us all. After looking at the cardboard and blankets, I thought that the image would sadly fit in this week's theme for the 52 for 2011 challenge - Accommodation

Chris

Well done for taking the time and effort to produce your image. I will struggle with a single shot.

Phil

Very honest as I probably would not have noticed

:D
Thanks Graham. I have just finished doing last years 52 and was tempted when I saw this weeks theme.

I have spoken with Matt who was due to shoot today and he will not be unable to upload his shot for today, Are there any "flexible" marked user's that would swap for today?

If not I will contact the Reserve's if nothing has occured at 4pm.
I am In work today so if you do read this, please take a shot for today so if required I can request you post it...

Apologies for short notice.

I'm not marked as flexible on the spreadsheet but I can fill in for today if needed. Let me know if so.

Ben.

I'm not marked as flexible on the spreadsheet but I can fill in for today if needed. Let me know if so.

Ben.

Ben if you don't mind swapping day's with Matt then that would be excellent!

thanks.

Excellent shot for a last minute call up lolage, I think the fog adds to the shot if I'm honest.

lolage... i love that glow... i am so envious..we just have tons of street lights over and decent stretch of road. don't knock it. (y)

Do we need more feedback in this thread or request the entires thread to be moved to another forum so that it hits the front page and isn't hidden away?

Not sure about anyone else but I'm planning on doing a "weekly review" so will post feedback on all 7 images tomorrow or the day after depending on when the 7th arrives.

Not sure about anyone else but I'm planning on doing a "weekly review" so will post feedback on all 7 images tomorrow or the day after depending on when the 7th arrives.

Never thought of it like this actually.

shame I missed this thread.... If there are any free dates or you plan to go to the full 365, then please include me :)

Thanks for letting me have to day Gaz. I've posted my shot.
I know it's a little late in the day, but I do have lots of excuses! :D

Nice description Marcel, I like the sentiment.... quite thought provoking for a birthday, thoughts I often think myself.

Happy birthday!

Very deep indeed Marcel but also very true. The image totally captures the words. Sometimes we forget what we mean to others. That's the reason why I have resisted the urge to satisfy my mid life crisis by buying a motorbike (y)

Perfection marcel, thank you for agreeing to do this on your birthday! I hope you had a lovely day despite the appointments.

I would like to add a 'pps' if I may to Marcel's post, and it goes a little something like this:

You are Marcel, the Marcel that everyone turns to from TP when help is needed, the marcel that above all others goes far beyond what is actually needed to ensure you give 110% commitment and delivery. you are the Marcel whom not only enjoys the banter when photographing but also takes ownership of where our lunch/dinner (subway ;-)) will be coordinated from.
You are the Marcel that has personally helped me enjoying an understand photography, allowed me to enjoy it and what comes with it, whom has trusted me with equipment of significant value and as well as many many other people associated with TP would say that YOU are the Marcel that has become a dear friend.
Thank you Marcel for making myself welcomed!

Lovely words indeed mate. Thank you very much (y) :)

Albi faced a common problem when it comes to challenges like this, you can plan as much as you like but there is something that will always get in the way :-(

I'm new to this so don't expect anything too in-depth from my comment. I've noticed there's very little critique on the images so I suspect I might have missed the point of this thread slightly!

1. A natural looking portrait, looks like a really well taken spur of the moment snapshot (in a good way!) if you know what I mean - not forced or posed. You could make all the changes you mentioned but I think that would change the character of the shot.

2. Nice stitching but a little bit too industrial grey for me. Presumably it's lit up like Blackpool illuminations at night - have you considered doing the shot at night?

3. Good idea and shows the bloke's character I think. Would be nice to see a gritty B&W version. I can sympathise with the focusing, I imagine you felt a bit pressurised at the time.

4. I will never praise anything with Old Trafford in it! Once you mentioned it wasn't straight it jumped out at me, I hadn't noticed.

5. Nice. The fog really adds to it I think. I've just had my first attempt at these and if they'd come out this well I'd have been really pleased. I was hoping to submit one of these for my shot on the 28th but you beat me to it - the perils of going last...

6. Nice shot (obviously) but the idea behind it makes the entry. Makes you wonder how different people can see the same person in so many ways.

7. Like the picture, really like the thinking behind it - “here ya go luv, bought ya these, just borrowing this one...” - I'll be using that!

Thanks "ivandobski" for taking the time to post your review of the first weeks efforts, mine being No 7 you were not a million miles off the thinking.
Alb :cool:

We have gone international! Thank you to Els for signing up to TP and taking part in this project, a lovely prospective. I hope you can enjoy the community more :)

Els, thank you for that shot! There is a similar artistic instalment in Krakow, Poland which is my most favourite city in the world.. and you reminded me of it :) The one there is a remembrance work for the city's Jewish ghetto in WW2 and symbolises all the random furniture left out in the streets when the ghetto had been cleared.

You have brought me back about 5 years ago Gumbo, It reminds me of when me and a group of friends headed down to Llandudno and "Arcaded" for an hour or so. So many laughs.

Gumbo did PM me today and used the word "Worried" - Like I have said to everyone, we are not looking for perfection, we want to capture a moment of your chosen day that you wished to share with us and Gumbo has done exactly this - thank you =]

Thank you Gaz, one for your kind words and 2 for setting this thing going.. i had alot of ideas of what i wanted to try and get and this didn't even enter my mind.. but i am pleased with it

where is the list of dates Gary? i better make sure i know which day is mine!

Well done wibble, isn't it strange what makes us take a certain picture?

I have to admit that blogs are not my "thing" - tried one on my website but think I am to personal an individual to share my every thought but this thread is brilliant, it is just a glimpse into other people's lives and thoughts without getting too personal. I have been looking every day and intended to comment but am catching up now instead

1. January - beautiful child, did not even notice her gums until I read the text, I hope the operation goes well for her and does not stress you out too much

2nd January - lot of work gone into this one, it is like looking out of a window and I almost expect something to start moving it looks so real

3rd January - Makes you think about people who are less fortunate that yourselves, not everyone has a secure home to shelter them. I don't think the picture was out of focus - he just happened to shiver as you took the shot :)

4th January - Congratulations on becoming a professional sports photogapher, the only one of those listed I really envy you for is the snooker - although I did get to photograph Jimmy White at a demonstration session a few months ago. Is the building finished as it looks as if it is covered in scaffolding, very atmospheric shot

5th January - I love this shot, usually I am not keen on light trails but the sensation of fog and lack of all other lights really makes this for me

6th January - Belated Happy Birthday, I think it is when you get birthday cards like this that you do realise what you are to other people - to me you are the one who everyone seems to turn to when TP does not work, and who gets blamed when descriptions get changed and to me - someone to say thank you to for being one of those who created this wonderful place where I have made so many friends both cyber and personal.

7th January - Beautiful shot and made to look so delicate, pleasing to the eye and probably even more so to its recipient

8th January - Interesting artwork, not so keen on the vignette - why not take one from the other side as you have described and post it in this thread, would be interesting to see it from its other perspective to see the difference

9th January - One of those "moments in time" when someone is so intent on what they are doing that they seem totally oblivious to everything else

10th January - I am so sorry to hear about your bad news, why employers cannot do this before Christmas so you can budget for it I do not know - happened to me twice at this time of year but years ago now. A stark shot which really seems to portray the mood of your description

Thanks to Gary for organising this - it would be great to see it continue thoughout the year if possible

Sorry to hear about the anniversary that didn't materialise, make the most of what you have and don't let it hinder the remaining hours if your day, you know a bag of Chips can go a long way when your in love :)

I have just posted mine up, some nice work in there from everyone else, and well done to everyone involved.
As I said in the picture thread, I would like to thank gary for running this, life gets a little hectic sometimes and i'm sure it doesn't happen to just me but we lose track of the things we enjoy doing, photography for me is something I love dearly but every now and then I need to try to just take time out from that hectic life and enjoy myself doing what I love with days like today.
Cheers Gary

Back