Which lighting???

fraggle101

Not a mermaid
Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
OK, Money's no object, well.. you've got 2-3K to spend on lighting.. you need something quality and can be used either in a studio and portable.. but want plenty of power and the usual bells N whistles.. Modifiers need to be readily available too, id like to be able to use the S-type fit as there seems to be a lot of different things you can get with that 'Bowens' fit, but its not essential.

So, what would YOU get??

My thoughts had been get the Bowens 750 pro, i believe they work from the travel pack too, but they are quite bulky, then there would be the Quadra, but at 400ws i think id prefer something with a bit more in reserve for the times i need it, also they dont take the S-fit without adding another attachment! Other than going down the Lencarta route (Iv nothing against them btw) the only other option looks like Hensel or Profoto!

These would be used for location/wedding shoots and a portable studio set-up..

:shrug:

Err... how can I put this?

Don't make any decisions until you've visited the Lencarta stand at Focus - new products, assuming that everything runs to schedule.

Lol.. i thought this might attract you Garry.. :D

Id really like to goto Focus with a plan in mind! not to make the decision there.. cos it just wont happen.. i need time to mull things over and pluck up the courage to commit!

Last edited:
Broncolor or Profoto ;)

You mentioned the Eli Quadra and its 400ws, so what about the Ranger RX Speed? Built like a tank and 1200ws powahz!

Last edited:
Lol.. i thought this might attract you Garry.. :D

Id really like to goto Focus with a plan in mind! not to make the decision there.. cos it just wont happen.. i need time to mull things over and pluck up the courage to commit!

Good idea. Go round all the stands, see what's available and decide later.

Since you're asking personal opinions, I would go Elinchrom. Without much hesitation. (Arguably) the biggest brand with the biggest and best range of most things.

But you would not have to push the boat out very far to blow that budget, not for a comprehensive top end kit for both indoors and mobile outdoors. Add another grand at least for a set of hot-shoe guns and Pocket Wizards ;)

Thanks Richard, I'm all to aware that MY budget isn't exactly huge, although it is to me! But in the grand scheme of things.. I am leaning towards Elliot, but not ruling out other brands.. its just nice to chewy other opinions, for instance, I'd not considered the RX range as I'd forgotten about them! I know a.working fashion photographer that uses INTERFIT in his studio and raves about them..

Err... how can I put this?

Don't make any decisions until you've visited the Lencarta stand at Focus - new products, assuming that everything runs to schedule.

After all the hype, this better not be a new logo on a bag or a revolutionary 13 in 1 reflector. Looking forward to my training session on whatever game changing tech you have....

After all the hype, this better not be a new logo on a bag or a revolutionary 13 in 1 reflector. Looking forward to my training session on whatever game changing tech you have....

Hype? Me?

I'm told it's going to be a very nice new logo and that we're looking for suitable photographers that can have it tattooed onto:LOL:

Actually, a couple of new products that I've been promised will be ready to show at Focus. If everything goes to plan they'll be well worth a look.

Ah unfortunately I'm already having my own logo shaved into the back of my head. I get in the way of plenty of videographers and figured it was a good idea.

Thanks Richard, I'm all to aware that MY budget isn't exactly huge, although it is to me! But in the grand scheme of things.. I am leaning towards Elliot, but not ruling out other brands.. its just nice to chewy other opinions, for instance, I'd not considered the RX range as I'd forgotten about them! I know a.working fashion photographer that uses INTERFIT in his studio and raves about them..

Well I wouldn't recommend Interfit for professional use, but it's certainly one of the budget choices.

TBH, the leading brands are obvioulsy Bowens and Elinchrom, but I would also throw Lencarta in there from what I've seen. Not such a big name, but good basic specs, quality and value. You also have the benefit there of our Garry and I would strongly recommend a chat with him on a full day at the Focus show next month (if you want to know about capacitors, make that two days ;)). You don't often get a chance to compare all this stuff side by side, but do your research before you go so you can get reasonably straight to the meat of the matter, there's a lot of it!

At the end of the day, they will all do the job - they flash, with good and consistent power and colour, reliably. IMHO it boils down to secondary stuff, specific features, convenience, plus personal preference. Maybe you need very fast flash durations, or a 6ft reverse-firing octa, remote control on a ceiling track, PW compatability etc.

Depending on what you want to do, I think the main choices might not be between the studio outfits, but the location kit. More differences there. As Kris says, Elinchrom Ranger/Quadra... :love:

Edit: for those that don't know, Focus is at the NEC, 6-9th March. Excellent show (y)

Last edited:
Nope, I have the quadra 400 w/s, I meant the ranger 1100 w/s .....

Swoon.

Nope, I have the quadra 400 w/s, I meant the ranger 1100 w/s .....

Swoon.

Sorry yes, I meant both! I've edited the line above.

Portability vs power vs cost etc. Never easy, even with a big budget.

Look in 4 weeks time Focus will be here so I would just research etc for the next few weeks and see if you can narrow it down to one or two choices and then go to Focus have a try and see if you can get a good deal especially if you have 2-3k to spend on gear! all the manufacturers will be trying to snap that up ;)

Some good ideas, i was tempted to go with Lencarta for a while as iv got the Ringflash, i was going to just buy a couple of heads to go with the battery, but would really like something with a modelling lamp and auto dumping, i know these things arnt impossible to live with but they are features i like. thats why iv been looking at the Bowens/Elinchrom products, The Rangers look great, as do the Quadra, but the price of Eli modifiers is off putting! but i suppose you buy once, buy right..

And most modifier off brand manufacturers make Elinchrom speed-rings. So they are no more expensive.

Of course, you can always buy original Bowens modifiers, which are equally expensive.

Hey Danny.. do you like Elinchrom by any chance?? :LOL:

Back