Marts 52 for 2011 Week 20-Promise - Another Added

Hiya Martin,

Well done on getting your week 7 posted so quickly. Both are fanastic photos.

Even though I like both, I prefer the first one because of the colour of background and the way the saffron are positioned makes it look like an abstract art. I t also looks neat and tidy and I like the title and font your have chosen in the top left. Oh yes and the border compliments the image well.

Like the second one too, but it would have been interesting to see that with a similar background to the first. It looks a lot busier and the very fine strands of saffron look more like hair. Not sure if it would have also benefited from a similar border to the first.

Considering how much saffron costs, and the amount you have displayed, I'd say you have quite a healthy supply of saffron - I take it you use it a lot in your cooking.

These would be great hanging on the wall in a dinning room or restaurant.

Well done (y)

Cheers

Dawn :)

Thanks Dawn, really nice comments. I was experimenting with an old halogen light I dug out of the garage during "clutter" week. I sat the Saffron in a dish directly on top of the light and immediately thought abstract. Here is #2 with the original background and same frame as #1

I got the frame from Picnick. You have got me hooked on it. Is it worth getting a premium account on there? Are the extras worth it ?

I wouldn't say we use a lot of saffron, but usually have some in for the occasional Paella. This shot didn't take much of it actually.

Looking forward to seeing your "Delicate" which no doubt will be a masterpiece

Martin :)

Hi Martin

really like the 1st Saffron shot ,background color suits it ,the frame works really well , the writing fits perfectly & its set out in a pleasing shape ,great shot (y)

The 2nd image seems a bit flat in comparison to the 1st ,sorry

Thank-you Lynne for your nice comments. No need to be sorry, I agree that the 2nd image looks a bit flat. Possibly because I was experimenting with back lighting

Martin:)

Thanks Dawn, really nice comments. I was experimenting with an old halogen light I dug out of the garage during "clutter" week. I sat the Saffron in a dish directly on top of the light and immediately thought abstract. Here is #2 with the original background and same frame as #1

I got the frame from Picnick. You have got me hooked on it. Is it worth getting a premium account on there? Are the extras worth it ?

I wouldn't say we use a lot of saffron, but usually have some in for the occasional Paella. This shot didn't take much of it actually.

Looking forward to seeing your "Delicate" which no doubt will be a masterpiece

Hiya Martin,

Now that I see your version 2 with the right background I think these two images for this week are on parr with your Jeans :D Now that is saying a lot. :LOL:

Halogen lights are very effective, but I really battled with them for my week 7 photo. So they do have their uses, but in some respects can be a bit harsh at times. Just something to think about for any future uses.

So with your setup, you mention you sat the bowl on top of the light? :thinking: Do you mean you put the bowl on top of a lamp? I'm just trying to picture your setup as it has been very effective.

BTW I am glad you are finding Picnik useful. I think some folk may under-rate it, but actually it is very much worth the upgrade. I have more fun with Picnik than any other pp I have.

I wasn't being obnoxious when I was stating that it must have cost you a pretty penny for the saffron, but at +£3.00 for a couple of strands in a local supermarket you have quite a healthy supply. If you have a secret supplier that you would like to share, I and a few others would be keen to hear of your contact for such a delicate flavour.

Oh and BTW my week 7 - Delicate is posted :D

Cheers

Hiya Martin, what a tricky subject to photograph, i far prefer number 1 with regards to the layout, colours and lighting. Well done. Did you try anything like putting it on a white plate, outside being lit by the sun?

Hi Michael,
Thanks for stopping by and your nice comment. I didn't consider using sunlight for lighting. I had been waiting to find a use for a halogen builders lamp I stumbled across
in the garage, I simply put the saffron on a white dish and sat it directly on the lamp. I was pleased with how porous to light the plate was. (it cooked the saffron slightly though eventually)

Martin

Hi martin,
Number 1 for me, i like the background colour and the lighting effect. Did also like your second version of number 2 as well

Hiya Martin,

Now that I see your version 2 with the right background I think these two images for this week are on parr with your Jeans :D Now that is saying a lot. :LOL:

Halogen lights are very effective, but I really battled with them for my week 7 photo. So they do have their uses, but in some respects can be a bit harsh at times. Just something to think about for any future uses.

So with your setup, you mention you sat the bowl on top of the light? :thinking: Do you mean you put the bowl on top of a lamp? I'm just trying to picture your setup as it has been very effective.

BTW I am glad you are finding Picnik useful. I think some folk may under-rate it, but actually it is very much worth the upgrade. I have more fun with Picnik than any other pp I have.

I wasn't being obnoxious when I was stating that it must have cost you a pretty penny for the saffron, but at +£3.00 for a couple of strands in a local supermarket you have quite a healthy supply. If you have a secret supplier that you would like to share, I and a few others would be keen to hear of your contact for such a delicate flavour.

Oh and BTW my week 7 - Delicate is posted :D

Cheers

Hi Dawn, As soon as I have typed this reply I am heading over to your Delicate post, Sorry I missed it. And I know you weren;t being obnoxious about my Saffron supply. I used what we had left in a jar and replaced on a trip to Morrisons yesterday. £3.79 but was worth it in the name of art lol.

I laid the halogen lamp on its back, facing upwards and sat the bowl on it. I was really pleased how porous to light it was, and no shadows either. I will remember it for the future.

Martin :) (heading to your thread now)

Must just be me, as I don't think anyone else has pointed it out. When I first looked at the images I instantly preferred the first. Both are good and fit the theme well but I was impressed that with the first one you had drawn a flower with the saffron, giving another layer to the theme.

Barrysprout said:
Must just be me, as I don't think anyone else has pointed it out. When I first looked at the images I instantly preferred the first. Both are good and fit the theme well but I was impressed that with the first one you had drawn a flower with the saffron, giving another layer to the theme.

Thanks Colin, you are the first to notice. That includes me. I just did a random spread of the saffron with no intention of any particular form. Well spotted.

I have really struggled this week with the theme. I am still not entirely happy, but rather this than miss a week out in the 52. A lot of things I looked at reminded me of the Clutter theme. Had we not had clutter recently then it may not have hindered me. I even tried some long exposures with me undertaking several tasks at a chaotic teatime to capture dashing about - but they came out ghostly. It has been a good chance for trial and error and experimenting though.

If this shot doesn't look chaotic enough for some then certainly for me the sight of cones usually signifies possible Chaos and disruption. I have tried various states of conrast colour and selective colour some variations of which are on my Flickr .

5479366144_41e0a7ac2c_z.jpg

I think you should be happy with yourself Martin, it's a good take on this week! I really like the duo tone, and the angle adds to the theme! (y)

Another good shot Martin, had to look several times as i thought it was where i lived in Outwood as the road works looked very familar. Like the B/W conversion with the selective colouring of the cones. Well done mate

Hiya Martin,

Yep I think you have done alright with this week, considering how you say you battled for ideas.

I like the angle at which you have taken this shot, which just adds that tilt of chaos to it (even though it looks like minor roadworks compared to what I am having to contend with on a daily basis at the mo .... a huge 8 junction roundabout mishmash, with installation of traffic lights, lane changes etc, etc, which I would have loved to photograph for this week but there is no legal place for me to park or even do a pedestrian attemp without causing serious harm :LOL:). I like the way you have coloured the cones, but just think that the whole chaos theme would have been even more complicated by colouring all the signs, and leaving the rest mono (now there is a challenge for you :D)

Great stuff though :clap:

Cheers

Another good shot Martin, had to look several times as i thought it was where i lived in Outwood as the road works looked very familar. Like the B/W conversion with the selective colouring of the cones. Well done mate

Thanks Steve, alas no it was here in Pudsey. They are all over the place though aren,t they.

Martin

Hi Dawn, Thanks for your nice comments. I really enjoyed doing the pp on this shot. Is this what you had in mind ...

Martin

Yep, but why did you exclude the orange cones???? :thinking:

And the chevrons?

Cheers

Hi, Martin, it's a bit frustrating when ideas done come along isn't it!

Good take on chaos and I really like the angle you took the photograph, really adds to the chaotic nature of the photograph.

I'd like to see a colour version.

Hi, Martin, it's a bit frustrating when ideas done come along isn't it!

Good take on chaos and I really like the angle you took the photograph, really adds to the chaotic nature of the photograph.

I'd like to see a colour version.

Hi Andy, Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Here is the colour version ,which for me just didn't have anything about it

Example only -not a re-submission of my entry

Last edited:
oh, i thought you just meant the signs, I have this that I did earlier, its nearly there ...

Martin

Hiya Martin,

You are almost there ...loose all the colour except the signs, I'd even make the one behind the 'pedestrians' b&w.

Cheers

I rather like this and agree with Dawn about the colour, well done to have such an idea and execute it so well.

I also agree the tilt adds to the feeling and doesn't feel too odd as tilted images can.

I agree that the whole colour image lacks enough colour to work at all and using this selectively adds to the impact.

I rather like this and agree with Dawn about the colour, well done to have such an idea and execute it so well.

I also agree the tilt adds to the feeling and doesn't feel too odd as tilted images can.

I agree that the whole colour image lacks enough colour to work at all and using this selectively adds to the impact.

Thanks Tina for your nice comments. The tilt was an afterthought after taking a couple of shots that looked too "flat"

Hiya Martin!

Your representation of Chaos is great! Road works of any sort are the "parents" of a good chaos. I completely agree with some previous comments that the decision to go for selective colouring improves the photo. I am not sure if it will be better to have some signs of the chaos caused by the work - people or vehicle traffic.

Great job!

Rayna

Hiya Martin!

Your representation of Chaos is great! Road works of any sort are the "parents" of a good chaos. I completely agree with some previous comments that the decision to go for selective colouring improves the photo. I am not sure if it will be better to have some signs of the chaos caused by the work - people or vehicle traffic.

Great job!

Rayna

Hi Rayna,
Thanks for your kind comments. Unfortunately I was stumped for an idea till this afternoon, and, being a Saturday afternoon it was relatively lacking in Chaos. No works and little traffic. I just used it as it represented Chaos. I totally agree, it would have captured the theme more when the school runs re-commence at 8.30 on Monday.

I like the original black and White best. It makes it look gritty and conveys the disruption caused by all that much better.

not so sure this one works for me Martin as the arrows are pointing me out of the pic and the angle confuses my brain for some strange reason :LOL:
however, I do like the first one of your selective colouring shots - gives your pic a focal point and kind of anchors my eye in the pic. Hope that makes sense! :)

edited to say it's a really good take on the theme! :)

Last edited:
not so sure this one works for me Martin as the arrows are pointing me out of the pic and the angle confuses my brain for some strange reason :LOL:
however, I do like the first one of your selective colouring shots - gives your pic a focal point and kind of anchors my eye in the pic. Hope that makes sense! :)

Hi Maria,
thanks for your comments. I actually prefer the original one I posted. What you say does make sense about leading the eye out. The subsequent images were to follow up on suggestions by users commenting and viewing.
Thanks

Back