SamuelSlade's Photo52 4 2011 : Week 52 Glass + Nature added

I came here to see some wonderful and bazar pictures, but the thing that is standing out is that Mr Cost has stopped.

I remember where I was when I heard Diana was dead, I'll remember where I was when I heard that the Costa 365 was over :(

maybe we should all go to Costas and sit around with a cup in mournful silence.... black coffee of course..

I came here to see some wonderful and bazar pictures

My first take on this weeks theme HAS to be this one... prompted from above...:naughty:

stick with this it isn't as obvious as it appears...

Now this first take hasn't been photoshoped except for the noise and levels etc.... the face is really there.... i added the text because i felt it added to the drama...

onto the photo...

Now read on for the other takes on the theme...

..Take 2 on this weeks theme (PROMISE)

Read on further down for an explanation as to what these takes are about....

Larger version on flickr.

..now here is a pano shot to give you an idea of what the first two takes were about....bear in mind the Hohenzollern Bridge in Koln, Germnay is 409.19m long so i opted to take a small section

Here is a shot from close up and further onto the bridge..

Now for an explaination i have found a link here

And i'd like to think that these last images says it best....

I took more and could have walked around to the other side to take EVEN more, but a) time, b) it was shady over that side and c) there were thousands of these padlocks... each a promise of some sort...

Anyone visiting Cologne should bear in mind taking a padlock and adding it, i know i'll be going back when the time is right....leaving one..

Hiya Kev,

Wow, some fantastic shots you have got there.

The first one is freeky .... and sort of reminds me of 'Silence of the Lamb' :eek:

I like the close up of the bridge too, nice DOF (y)

The pano one is good, just a pity you couldn't get the top of the bridge in.

Excellent take on the theme though, how lucky for you.

You say you will be going back to leave one .... wonder what that promise will be :thinking: perhaps a promise never to drink so much German beer again :LOL:

Hope you had a fab jollies and glad you are back with us.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Superb take.

I'm drawn to this one. Nice composition, focus and I quite like the red touch in the rear of the photograph.

thanks Andy...i hadn't noticed that splash of colour til you mentioned it...(y) perhaps i should have drawn that out more...but it seems to work without it..

Hiya Kev,

Wow, some fantastic shots you have got there.

The first one is freeky .... and sort of reminds me of 'Silence of the Lamb' :eek:

I like the close up of the bridge too, nice DOF (y)

The pano one is good, just a pity you couldn't get the top of the bridge in.

Excellent take on the theme though, how lucky for you.

You say you will be going back to leave one .... wonder what that promise will be :thinking: perhaps a promise never to drink so much German beer again :LOL:

Hope you had a fab jollies and glad you are back with us.

Cheers

Hi dawn...i thought i'd start with the freaky one... :naughty:

and i take your point on the top of the bridge, but it was a busy cycle/walk way so getting four good shots was fortunate.

..and a promise about drinking that beer....never, the locally brewed beer was fantastic...worth going back for... but i'm talking about a different reason for leaving a lock.. cheeky..!!

..and hey..i was never far away... maybe i could hunt out some subterrain tunnels and go over for them... :D

Great shots for the theme. Your first shot is Brilliant!

Hi Kev, that's a great find, I have never heard of people doing that before. Your pictures you have got are excellent, I quite like the close up you have done of all of those padlocks. Well done.

thanks Guys (y)

we'd been seeing the locks from the train everyday and i 'promised' to go up on the bridge... getting down and dirty close to the locks was one shot i thought would show off the magnificance of the sight...i saw a few toggers getting the same shots, fewer trying to get the DOF perspective though...

Hi Kev

what a wonderful set of shots of a very unusual subject (y)

Can't pick a favorite 'cos they are all great in their own way. Thanks for posting the link as well , good to read some background (y)

Hi Kev

what a wonderful set of shots of a very unusual subject (y)

Can't pick a favorite 'cos they are all great in their own way. Thanks for posting the link as well , good to read some background (y)

Great shots. I'd never heard of the padlock promise thing before.

you're both welcome, thanks for the comments... funny thing is my daughter jested me and didn't come with me...but France's entry for the Eurovision final miniclip focused on the bridge and the padlocks...and she went ape demanding to go see if she could find the special padlock used in the clip... lets say we wander the entire length with no luck...shame THAT would have been great to post... (being Eurovision fans we are)

Kev

Hi mate

Love the padlock shots... there is something similar appearing on the Brooklyn bridge in NYC... but nothing to the scale of this bridge.

Love the use of DOF on your shots, cant fault them... great work!

M

I got impatient while you were putting these up and had to go look up the bridge on Wiki. It started in China I think. Wiki has a note of all the other locations that are starting to get Padlocks – non in the UK!

I’ve never heard of it and think it’s great. You’ve some excellent shots and I suspect you could have spent much longer there.

Now, will Halton Council mind if I start putting padlocks on the Runcorn Bridge?

Great set Kev, All of them are lovely shots. I had never heard of this before now.
My faves happen to be the ones you posted last, which, as you said, say it best.

(y) thanks to all of you that have looked and that have left comments... i think this has been my most successful of weeks for really capturing the theme, but moreso for the comments left.... :clap:

Love the falling from the sky shot. I think this works best as a stand alone photo, with good positioning, DOF, and colour balance. Even the border finishes off the shot.
I would have chose shot two, but the purple of the cropped lock, just unbalances the shot.

Great work though.

Rgds

Adie

I would have chose shot two, but the purple of the cropped lock, just unbalances the shot.

Adie... i see your point.. i must admit i did move a few locks out of some of the shots... just to isolate the lock..but in places they were seriously tight.. and this was one.. but i wanted the shot anyway... (y)

Well here is my twisted entry... taken yesterday i'd driven past this spot many times when the barrier was intact... now someone has tried to tempt fate and test its capability.. and drivers afterwards testing the flimsy red barriers (y) great idea...

BUT i had to get a photo of it.. from an usual angle i thought..trying to show off its twisted-ness..

I have another shot taken further back along the road.. think i'll quickly PP that too..

and so i add my second attempt at Twisted...

Caught between a post and a hedge line, i took multiple shots trying to find the best to convey how twisted this road was...the bend in the foreground is rather blind and yet drivers take it at brake neck speeds...

thanks for looking... (y)

Hiya Kev,

Two great takes on the theme for 'twisted'.

Only nit pick about the first is the bit of barrier peek out of the bottom left corner. Otherwise I like the DOF and angle at which you shot the photo to add to the twisted effect.

I can see how it must have been a bit tricky to get the second shot to get the twisted road in the frame, so I think you have done well. Like how you have the road sign on the right in the background .... amazing how drivers don't take notice of such warning signs.

I'm not too sure about the border on the 2nd, it seems a bit busy for the image, maybe removing the burgundy inner frame would be better.

Overall well done.

Cheers

Hiya Kev,

I'm not too sure about the border on the 2nd, it seems a bit busy for the image, maybe removing the burgundy inner frame would be better.

:agree: (and that is from the Queen of borders :naughty: )

The first shot is good. Well thought out, good control of lighting and exposure, and good use of DoF.
The only improvements, tighten the crop. Loose everything north of the top poppy, and loose the grey in the bottom left corner.

Shot two, well other than the border colour clash, is perfect.
No tweaking needed. Well thought out, well positioned. Good use of the rule of thirds in positioning the sign. Good use of lead in lines. Well exposed and good use of natural framing.

Well done.

Rgds

Adie

Hi all... long story short as its late... AND i need a drink (which will become apparant why) ....

Outside...thinking moon shot in clearish blue sky, nice lets get out there...Sure thing..get set up....bham tripod won't hold lens AND camera, 19 yr old pod has finally given up on me....just as i've set the timer and its counting down...soooo wasted shot...or so i thought...

Back inside as pod ain't much cop (so i thought) ...

But before packing away i checked the shot it had taken, in case it was useful...

Ths is what it took....

NOW.. i'm not easily frightened... ok..maybe tall buildings, balconys..footballs...paper cuts... christopher lee films .. sure you get the picture... anything with a vampire in it..so that ruled out sesame street too...

BUT if you can see what i can....in this photo..... then ITS back.... and that wasn't the last.... :eek:

Scroll down......BUT make sure you have turned the room light on...first....

... good still here then...and NOT behind the sofa where the Daleks can get you...

I thought i'd test the camera..just in case it was faulty.... and this is what i took....

But what didn't freak me out so much as IT was back again.......it was the fact i wasn't....alone ..... :eek::eek::eek:

ha ha Love the second shot, but i don't get the first one????

*EDIT*

OH are you talking about the green thing? i though it was just a light you had in your garden?

J

Last edited:
Hi, twisted. Good idea and fits the theme. I see why you left the post box in and it does seem to cramp the photohraph. Possible one take from kneeling?

Hidden...I like them both. #1 is quite abstract and I like the low angle. Possible a tad of the right? #1 is another good one....but, and a small but, I'd like to see the rug straightened...but really is one of them childhood nightmares....and who hasn't checked behind the curtains...:)

Cheers.

Hiya Kev,

Scary stuff there .... hope you are still with us and you haven't been captured by the aliens :LOL:

What a co-incidence these are green like my hidden face photo ..... hmmmmm they fit quite well together :D

So your first photo wasn't a waste after all ... and actually the start of a mini story (y)

Have to say I like how you have positioned the shoes under the curtains, I wonder who that could be :eek:

Are you going to tell us how you applied the green colour?

Well done for this week, I like both photos .... and green is one of my fav colours (y)

(I definitely think you have lost a screw though :LOL:)

Cheers

Hi, twisted. Good idea and fits the theme. I see why you left the post box in and it does seem to cramp the photohraph. Possible one take from kneeling?

Hidden...I like them both. #1 is quite abstract and I like the low angle. Possible a tad of the right? #1 is another good one....but, and a small but, I'd like to see the rug straightened...but really is one of them childhood nightmares....and who hasn't checked behind the curtains...:)

Cheers.

funny that..i HAVE straightened the rug today... maybe i should do a retake...but not sure if the mystery 'person' would make a reappearance..??

Twisted was actually taken from me climbing onto the roof of my car...the side road had dipped into a field.. *** :D

Hiya Kev,
Scary stuff there .... hope you are still with us and you haven't been captured by the aliens :LOL:
What a co-incidence these are green like my hidden face photo ..... hmmmmm they fit quite well together :D
So your first photo wasn't a waste after all ... and actually the start of a mini story
Have to say I like how you have positioned the shoes under the curtains, I wonder who that could be
Are you going to tell us how you applied the green colour?
Well done for this week, I like both photos .... and green is one of my fav colours
(I definitely think you have lost a screw though :LOL:)
Cheers
Dawn

NOW....telling you how i applied the green... :shrug: i didn't.... its all in the photo...nothing added

laugh it up fuzz ball....quote circa 1979 Han Solo STAR WARS

Dawn - what do you mean 'a screw'. It's two at least.

Love the feet kev, not sure about those curtains though

So thats it is it.??? ** ganging up on me..is that it??? huh! :razz:

Hiya Kev, 2 cracking photos for hidden there. That green glow in number 1 kind of has an animal shape to it.... Like the feet in number 2, brilliant (y)
Are you going to sleep with the lights on tonight??

***...but....i haven't turned the lights off yet...those boots..... those...boots....

Back