Webby Photo52 - Week 52 - Glass added

20101204-Fish-18web.jpg

Hi Adie and sorry you've had such a long wait for any C&C . . . with so many 52 threads this year, they're dropping off the first page really quickly!
Hopefully this won't put you off for week 2!

To start off with, what a beautiful Clown Loach :love:
Aquarium photography is one of my passions and I know just how difficult it is - so to catch a moving subject in water, through glass and with good focus is an achievement in itself. To manage to get him just emerging from his "accommodation" is just the icing on the cake :clap:

In terms of improvements, it would have been great if you could have framed the shot with a little more space on the left to give him some room to "move into". I'd also like to have seen a shallower DoF to throw the Bacopa and rock in the b/g out of focus . . . of course, shooting with a shallower DoF makes actually getting the fish in focus doubly difficult :LOL:

Hi Adie and sorry you've had such a long wait for any C&C . . . with so many 52 threads this year, they're dropping off the first page really quickly!
Hopefully this won't put you off for week 2!

To start off with, what a beautiful Clown Loach :love:
Aquarium photography is one of my passions and I know just how difficult it is - so to catch a moving subject in water, through glass and with good focus is an achievement in itself. To manage to get him just emerging from his "accommodation" is just the icing on the cake :clap:

In terms of improvements, it would have been great if you could have framed the shot with a little more space on the left to give him some room to "move into". I'd also like to have seen a shallower DoF to throw the Bacopa and rock in the b/g out of focus . . . of course, shooting with a shallower DoF makes actually getting the fish in focus doubly difficult :LOL:

:plus1:

That is a great shot for the theme (y) I agree that a little more room on the left would have been good but i really like it regardless :)

Hi Adie, great start to your 52 - it must have taken some patience to capture that image. (y)

I can't add much to Sarah's reply, except to say a little more light on the fish might have helped.

Good luck with the 52

Thanks for the constructive crits. Yeah, shooting through glass, lighting, and fast fish made this a hard capture.

Thanks for the constructive crits. Yeah, shooting through glass, lighting, and fast fish made this a hard capture.

Hi adie, i haven't shot fish, but my experience of greyhounds is they're fast!! and getting focus just right is a 'dog'..excuse the pun.. so loving the first.. (y)

Hiya Aidie,

Sorry I have missed your threads, probably because you have opted to go for a single thread for each week. So if I miss same in future it is probs because of your thread technique.

I like your take on accommodation.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Well Dawn (Drodd) has convinced me that I should just use the one thread for all the photos, so that's what i'm going to do. I'll add them to the end of this thread, and link to the image from the first post.

Week 5 - Hard

Again, running out of time, i quickly used a game of Solitaire for the subject. The idea being a hard game in hard light. Not my best work by a long shot, but starting to get the thought process working now. Linking ideas in the shot.

Hope it's ok.

20110205-52Hard-15web.jpg

:)

Hi Adie,
I like this a lot. The foreground and background colours work in harmony. You have captured the hard light in a good way and I like the way you have lit the grain of the wood.

When I first saw the image before reading your description I assumed Hard was portrayed by the Marbles. Your interpretation of Hard is more thought out than that.

Nice work

Martin

Hiya Adie,

I like your thought process for this weeks theme :)

The hard light works well, the colours are lovely and rich and the DOF and angle great too.

As has already been mentioned, love the way you have used the light to capture the wood grain.

Well done and look forward to seeing your next week image.

Cheers

Week 6 - Clutter

OK, here is my next contribution.

20110209-52Clutter-6web.jpg

The idea behind this was to create an image that showed clutter, without the image being cluttered. I'm not keen on images with too much going on, so tried to contain the clutter in a simple non cluttered image. Well that was the intent anyway!

Thankfully, my wife provided the clutter in the form of her handbag contents! Thanks love.

I tried to craft the light via two flash guns and some snoots to isolate the bag, and provide a clean backdrop.

Hope it's ok.

Adie

Hiya Adie,

Well done on your week 6 theme, you are lucky that your wife has allowed you to photograph the contents of the inside of her handbag ..... I would never dream of allowing that, but then your wife's handbag looks a lot neater than my own :LOL:

Good use of lighting, and the colours are great.

Cheers

Hi Adie,

Clutter shot is really good. Good use of lights and the colours are fab.:clap:

Hi Adie, really love your Clutter shot.

It's got everything, excellent use of light, colours are perfect and great interpretation of the theme.

If I can start to get my shots anywhere near that standard I'd be a happy bunny (y)(y)

Well here is my week 7. Very late, but still in time I hope. this was due to being away all week, without my main camera.

Well, having critiqued so many of your shots last week, and seen so many good ideas, I tried to find a take on the subject less to do with an item being delicate, but on a situation being delicate. It was then the phrase "walking on egg shells" sprang to mind.

With only an hour free window, I quickly set up the shot. For maximum juxtaposition I tried to convey someone in heavy boots walking on egg shells, the proverbial "delicate" situation.

I'm mostly happy with the shot, and the lighting (three flashguns worth), but looking at it now I think it needed a small aperture to keep the front shell in focus.

Anyway, roll on this afternoon and week 8!

20110219-week7-8web.jpg

Rgds

Adie

Hiya Adie,

Very well thought out and creative interpretation of the theme for this week.

I would have perhaps put a cleaner shell in the foregroung as it is slightly distracting, especially being out of focus too. But this is only a minor point.

I like the DOF with the other boot in the background creating a sense of walking.

Otherwise a great photo.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with for next week.

Cheers

Nice idea.

I think I'd prefer to see fewer shells, though, and just one boot in the photograph.

I agree that the front shells would look better in focus, but (y) for an unusual take on the theme.

Cheers and I agree wwwhhhheeerreeee's week 8!!

Cheers.

Think this a great idea and agree with comments about fewer shells, but none the less a great take, might have worked with a broken egg/yolk also in the foreground. Think the depth of field works well.

Cracking shot mate ;) i like it good dof agree with the shiny shell but it is nit picking ;)

Well after leaving my week 7 effort until the last safe moment due to being away all week, I thought I would bang out a shot for week 8 early!
Chaos was a hard idea to shoot, as like my clutter shot, I wanted a simple - not too busy photo, but that conveyed the idea.
So, I thought about what chaos was, the lack of order, and thought about things like water drops etc. Then I hit upon the idea of shooting smoke. It was a subject I always wanted to try, so this seemed like the ideal time.

20110221-week8-smoke-10bweb.jpg
20110221-week8-smoke-17web.jpg

I love the simplicity of the complexity of Pt 1 and the blues and browns in Pt 2. Couldn't decide which I preferred so here is both.

Rgds

Adie

Last edited:
Hiya Adie,

Well done on getting your week 8 comlete and unploaded so soon.

I love both images, but if I had to make a choice I would choose #2 mainly for the colours and the shape the smoke has made. Looks a bit like an abstract image of a brain and spine :D and the black background really emphasises the colours and image. :clap:

This is something I tried the other night, but failed terribly at it. So I will have to learn more about the technique and try again.

Cheers

Hi Adie

brilliant shots & dead envious:LOL: Really like both of them , the colors & shapes are just great (y)

Dawn....I'm with you on this one .I had the same idea for my shot & spent 2hours sunday trying to get a shot & failed miserably:crying: Trying again this sunday !

Both look good, but I prefer the black one. Think it's a more interesting pattern and I might prefer that with a white background, if they were reversed.

Back