Odd Ebay lens listings?

Name
Gareth
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All - I've recently been looking at a few Canon lenses on Ebay which have no description to them but just a single line requesting interested parties to enquiry directly to their email address. Does anyone know why? :shrug:
I have emailed a guy in Aberdeen who also did the same thing but his replies didn't fill me with any confidence in parting with any money.

This is one expample:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-EF500mm-f4L-USM-package-/260995675403?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item3cc48df50b

Cheers
Gareth

MODS - Please move if not posted in the right section. Thanks.

If they're trying to get you to do a deal outside of eBay, then it sounds very dodgy to me and you won't have any Buyer Protection at all. I'd advise you to steer clear of such listings.

Darren

Yep - fees avoidance. Report the item and move on.

A bit of digging and found this when searching for "Ian Anthony Cox"

http://translate.google.com/transla...nanthonycox&hl=en&safe=off&qscrl=1&prmd=imvns

The scam they talk about is where the seller deposts the item with a shipping company, the shipping company confirm receipt to the buyer and the buyer then pays the shipping company. And the scam is that there never was an item for sale and the shipping company is a scam, maybe even with an official looking web presence.

I was briefly taken in by one of these on the autotrader website a few years ago, but a quick whois lookup on the shipping domain showed it was only registered the previous month..

I guess this may be a hijacked ebay account?

Yeah there have been a few cameras like it also, the best trick is to ask for a very specific photo :)

Personally I don't mind a little 'off ebay' given their extortionate fees for private sellers now, unfortunately these chaps are quite good as they actually must have English as a first language (unlike the majority of scammers) and can weave a pretty good story... until you get into specifics that is!!

It does amaze me how ANYONE would drop £2-£3k on anything without some form of financial back-up!

Cheers for all the info guys. Not surprisingly, I have not heard a peep from my email I sent him. I suspected a scam when I first saw the listing, but thought I'd see if anyone else had dealing with this sort of listing. I think I'll be reporting this one to Ebay!

Gareth

There's a guy who is trying out this scam a lot on eBay. He posts adverts for lenses which he doesn't own, and tries to induce you to buy it really cheaply off eBay.

This (below) is a genuine eBay auction which happened a few weeks ago. I bid on the item and was outbid. But the same details and pictures have been used in various other auctions recently, allegedly in different parts of the country.

Capture9.JPG

There's another thread about the same character here: [click].

Noticed similar to this recently when looking for a 60d. Noticed 10-15 auctions from Spain using the same pictures and every username had 0 feedback. A lot of them sold, let's hope people didn't go through with the payment although if done properly at least your protected.

I had a lens up for sale on ebay by auction once and someone asked if I'd take a buy it now offer. We exchanged email addresses and I eventually agreed a price and as there hadn't been a bid by that time I ended the listing and carried on the transaction outside of ebay.
I'm very happy to say I received a deposit by Paypal that night and the balance was paid at the agreed time. I then sent the lens to the other party and we both got exactly what we wanted. I didn't even have to pay the ebay fee for the sale, which was a bonus.
Looking at the listings in the thread I wouldn't go near any of them, but there are some genuinely honest people out there. I was quite worried at the beginning about completing outside of ebay, and I wouldn't do it regularly, but I was very pleased how it turned out.

One of the most common scams.

Funny part is my farther in law lives in the same part of Aberdeen the seller said he was. When I say the area is about 2 miles in diamater so a seash walk.

So when I said ill pop round in a hour you can guess the lens is know in london.

It went from Aberdeen to london in under a hour. Fast flight

Funny part is my farther in law lives in the same part of Aberdeen the seller said he was. When I say the area is about 2 miles in diamater so a seash walk.

So when I said ill pop round in a hour you can guess the lens is know in london.

Aberdeen? Have a look at the location and email address on this one - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-D3X...Cameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item2ebd0871a9 (that's supposed to be a new D3x :cautious:) and then this one - http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=466814&sid=aa78549b5ed2f2f724563cddb6b6a016.

Last edited:
salacalvet said:

I had a variation of that. Listing said the lens was in Richmond (the Surrey one) so I asked to come and look at it. Reply said the lens is actually in Aberdeen. No prob, I said, as it happens I have a business trip to Dundee next week, and I'm sure I can detour via Aberdeen. That's when he offered me a buy-it-right-now sight-unseen price of £1800 - for an allegedly mint Canon 500mm. That would smell fishy even to a man with no nose.

These people could do with a lesson from the Ebola monkey man! Years ago when qxl was around I almost got stung with a cheap dell laptop and a gold Nokia 8890 luckily went with my gut instinct and saw sense!

Tbh I haven't seen that many scammers on ebay like there used to be. I remember years ago I nearly got scammed with a guy selling a laptop who apparently didn't want to accept any transactions through his bank account due to a divorce and thus requested payment by WU...

There have been quite a few more Ebay listings going up for the Canon 300/2.8 lately, all of which look very dodgy and within a few hours have been removed. All are listed from different Ebay members but from the same town. Runcorn in the latest load.
Buyers beware.

Back