The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

Lovely shot, Souldeep, almost justifies the long exposure "milkfall" effect! :D

Apologies for being a bit quiet recently.
I've been admiring all the 2012 favourite images, and a belated welcome to the new X10 owners!

My X10 got soaked again :)
Remember Piscator Pete's piccy a few weeks ago of the non-pool at Priddy Pool ?
This is Priddy Pool today!
Considering we are on top of 800ft of limestone, this illustrates just how bad things are in the South West - and we've got another two days of Met Office Amber Warning in place for heavy rain still to come :puke:
i-ZMMWL4N-X3.jpg

Next post from me could well be from Scotland.
The weather forecast up there has potential to be quite photogenic, and not as stormy as last January - phew. So I plan to get out with my camera.
Watch this space!

Lovely shot, Souldeep, almost justifies the long exposure "milkfall" effect! :D

Oh dear - is that another technical issue I need to learn about? I rather liked the fact it looks milky. Either you're tugging my nipples or I need further educating :LOL:

BTW - you kept that Israel shot quiet. You didn't post it when you shared your Israel set. Its a xmas cracker for sure!

Apologies for being a bit quiet recently.
I've been admiring all the 2012 favourite images, and a belated welcome to the new X10 owners!

My X10 got soaked again :)
Remember Piscator Pete's piccy a few weeks ago of the non-pool at Priddy Pool ?
This is Priddy Pool today!
Considering we are on top of 800ft of limestone, this illustrates just how bad things are in the South West - and we've got another two days of Met Office Amber Warning in place for heavy rain still to come :puke:
i-ZMMWL4N-X3.jpg

Crikey Duncan, I was about to take a late Sunday morning constitutional there to get away from the swampy fields in the CV!

Forgot to compliment you on the wonderful shot of the levels and Brent Knoll
taken from the gorge. I have never got a satisfactory photo of the levels from any position on the Mendips for the reasons you explain. If there is no sun, the scene is 'flat', and if there is, haze ruins everything because the sun must be in a southerly sky: the direction of the shot. All pilots know that with the slightest mist, flying into sun greatly reduces visibility, whereas conversely at night, a landscape is the clearer if backlit by a bright moon.

Pete

well the sun finally tried to come out earlier so i dashed out for some wind and mud. This is an ancient celtic fertility site apparently. Comely maidens would go through the doughnut at certain times of the month/year and a baby would soon be forthcoming. Judging by the wear and tear it looks like its still in use today :)

Just cropped a little off the bottom and de-saturated a tad.

Mên-an-Toll, Cornwall with Ding Dong mine in the background

Welcome to TP and the X10 thread, Gary! I'm sure we all hope you enjoy ths fantastic camera. If you have a spare day, read the entire thread from start to finish :rules:! On the other hand, if anything doesn't make sense, just ask and someone will help you out. Between us we know pretty much everything about the camer apart from the new bits we keep finding out! And all of us don't know something (if that makes sense), so there's no such thing as a daft (X10-related) question here!

Welcome to TP and the X10 thread, Gary! I'm sure we all hope you enjoy ths fantastic camera. If you have a spare day, read the entire thread from start to finish :rules:! On the other hand, if anything doesn't make sense, just ask and someone will help you out. Between us we know pretty much everything about the camer apart from the new bits we keep finding out! And all of us don't know something (if that makes sense), so there's no such thing as a daft (X10-related) question here!

cheers Chris. I've already read full thread in anticipation of getting the X10:LOL:

fantastic portrait :)

Heres a couple from Porthleven today, wasnt as rough as i was hoping, a lot of the times the waves break over the houses on the cliff.

You lot might be amused by these; this is where I am for Christmas and New Year.
It's fairly remote; nearest supermarket is 40 mins exhilarating drive over to Fort William. But not as remote as last year; at least we can get to a supermarket!
Both images are X10 panoramas.

My Mum's tiny cottage, a converted black house with tin roof and two foot thick walls.
i-vHSd9GL-X3.jpg

The view from the hill above the village. The bay looks like a fertile oasis tucked into the wild mountain terrain; which pretty much sums things up :)
i-7sdBrv3-X3.jpg

Duncan - views have taken my breath away! What an amazing life your mum lives. It's so appealing. The Pano is another cracker :)

Gary - cracking portrait; catch lights in the eyes and everything.
Now you have had the X10 a bit longer, how are you getting on?

Essexash - Mmmm, I love big waves.
Stormsurf is forecasting 40ft waves in Scotland on Sunday, I'm tempted to drive down to Ardnamurchan lighthouse to see them in action. It's a day long journey, so depends on whether there may be a break in the rain to make the trip worthwhile and the weather websites are disagreeing on that at the moment. I've got my fingers crossed!

Duncan - views have taken my breath away! What an amazing life your mum lives. It's so appealing. The Pano is another cracker :)

LOL - I'm not sure she sees it that way!
X10 piccies are slightly thin on the ground as the weather is pants, and in the breaks I've been out using the big camera.
Well chuffed with a set of rock abstracts I took yesterday.
Also chuffed with some piccies of a house belonging to a friend of my Mums. Her house is in a woodland clearing on a knoll overlooking the sea and is only accessible on foot; it's almost magical, and the initial impression I got was strong and profound. So I asked if I could go back and try to capture an image that summed up how I felt - and I succeeded!

The 'adventure' I mentioned at the top of this page was an explore. My Mum has got itchy feet and wants to move somewhere wild with a sea view. But she also wants better communications as she is driving less and anticipating giving the car up.
So I took her down EVERY tiny little side road along the coast down to Oban and beyond. Half a tank of diesel, eight hours driving and some really spectacular locations that were new to both of us.
In terms of driving, the two bits that stick in my memory were the intimidating bridge over to Isle of Seil (Google images will show you what I mean), and the 40 miles of single track road on the detour over the mountains to Loch Awe; I drove for half an hour with grass growing in the center of the track before we came across a house! Tortuous and twisty doesn't even begin to describe that track.

Gary - cracking portrait; catch lights in the eyes and everything.
Now you have had the X10 a bit longer, how are you getting on?

thanks, not had a chance to use it as i have been so busy with other stuff and weather as has been said is dismal.

will post more when i get the chance but it is an impressive little piece of kit

Great pano's Duncan, I'm surprised that you can get an internet connection being so remote, I would love to visit a place like that 1 or 2 weeks would be great but more than that would drive me crazy.

Great pano's Duncan, I'm surprised that you can get an internet connection being so remote, I would love to visit a place like that 1 or 2 weeks would be great but more than that would drive me crazy.

Cheers :beer:

You can tell this is a Highland oasis - there are trees!
First visit to this area tends to be a real shock as the mountainsides are barren and the bog often continues right down to the shore.
If the weather is bad then that initial impression can be really negative and long lasting.
However, it is an area that is easy to fall in love with and many people think there is nothing so beautiful to be found in the rest of the UK. :D

LOL - I'm not sure she sees it that way!
X10 piccies are slightly thin on the ground as the weather is pants, and in the breaks I've been out using the big camera.
Well chuffed with a set of rock abstracts I took yesterday.
Also chuffed with some piccies of a house belonging to a friend of my Mums. Her house is in a woodland clearing on a knoll overlooking the sea and is only accessible on foot; it's almost magical, and the initial impression I got was strong and profound. So I asked if I could go back and try to capture an image that summed up how I felt - and I succeeded!

The 'adventure' I mentioned at the top of this page was an explore. My Mum has got itchy feet and wants to move somewhere wild with a sea view. But she also wants better communications as she is driving less and anticipating giving the car up.
So I took her down EVERY tiny little side road along the coast down to Oban and beyond. Half a tank of diesel, eight hours driving and some really spectacular locations that were new to both of us.
In terms of driving, the two bits that stick in my memory were the intimidating bridge over to Isle of Seil (Google images will show you what I mean), and the 40 miles of single track road on the detour over the mountains to Loch Awe; I drove for half an hour with grass growing in the center of the track before we came across a house! Tortuous and twisty doesn't even begin to describe that track.

Are they posted somewhere I can see?

Oh and your mum wants to move somewhere wild with a water view... er hello.. didn't know it came much wilder within walking distance of salt water than the shot you've just shared :LOL:

Oh and I second Billy's shock - how the heck are you uploading all these photos when your in that perfectly remote little valley!

can agree as i live on the north west coast which is wild,barren but beautiful but it is a very long winter

:LOL:

Long winter - perpetual winter don't you mean ;)

I've heard the west coast is amazing but only when the weather is right which is very rare and even then - if a warm summers day dares to show itself the west coast comes alive with midges.

You lot that live up there are just hard.

BTW Gary - Welcome to the forum and looking forward to more posts. Nice intro post of your daughter. You have captured her eyes with a twinkle which always makes for the best portrait shots.

Last edited:
Essexash - great shots of Cornwall. I was stood on that wall a few months back spinning for bass. No luck of course so headed off to the pub after a few hours but Porthleven is a nice place to take photos. I've witnessed waves crashing over the church before. Crazy place to build it neh!?

Oh and your mum wants to move somewhere wild with a water view... er hello.. didn't know it came much wilder within walking distance of salt water than the shot you've just shared :LOL:

Oh and I second Billy's shock - how the heck are you uploading all these photos when your in that perfectly remote little valley!

Not yet, I'll share a few and link them later.

We are right on the edge of what broadband can cover; speed is only about the same as a decent dial up, but the phone can be used at the same time...
It does seem surreal to be here and so well connected with the rest of the world.

I've put up a thread titled "The House in the Wood"
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=456186

I 'warmed up' with the X10.
It's very handy as a viewfinder when hunting for compositions.
I think the detachment of looking at the image on a screen produces stronger images than looking directly at the scene unaided or through the viewfinder.
Here's one of the warm up shots....
i-q45kc58-S.jpg

The 'real' images are over in the other thread....

I've shared some of my rock abstracts in a hidden gallery.
Love to hear what you think of them.
http://www.wild-landscapes.co.uk/Other/2012/Joyces-Beach/27302769_zh2RRN

This isn't a style of photography you are used to seeing from me and I haven't spent a day concentrating on this type of image for quite a few years.
But I loved it and will be doing more.

I could have used the X10 for all of these. But it would have been a constant battle wiping water off the lens, and I wanted the potential for high quality exhibition prints. So the 5DIII was used with an old lens where the glass is recessed into the lens housing so far that it cannot get wet!

I've shared some of my rock abstracts in a hidden gallery.
Love to hear what you think of them.
http://www.wild-landscapes.co.uk/Other/2012/Joyces-Beach/27302769_zh2RRN

This isn't a style of photography you are used to seeing from me and I haven't spent a day concentrating on this type of image for quite a few years.
But I loved it and will be doing more.

I could have used the X10 for all of these. But it would have been a constant battle wiping water off the lens, and I wanted the potential for high quality exhibition prints. So the 5DIII was used with an old lens where the glass is recessed into the lens housing so far that it cannot get wet!

I really like them. I think the overcast light has really helped bring out the form of the rocks but an overhead sun might have helped really ping out some colour e.g. in Pic 19.

Picture 5 - tuttut! You meant to leave the tripod in the shot?

Pic 23 - :naughty:

Pic 6, Pic 11, Pic 14, Pic 19 and Pic 20 (y)

Right gotta get my a*se into gear and head up north for a 40th.

I really like them. I think the overcast light has really helped bring out the form of the rocks but an overhead sun might have helped really ping out some colour e.g. in Pic 19.

Picture 5 - tuttut! You meant to leave the tripod in the shot?

Pic 23 - :naughty:

Pic 6, Pic 11, Pic 14, Pic 19 and Pic 20 (y)

Right gotta get my a*se into gear and head up north for a 40th.

LOL - my Mum missed 23 as rude, but she thinks 6 is disgusting!
I'm claiming I didn't spot any of the rude stuff when I took them..

Yup, tripod was left in deliberately so you can see how much or little I have tweaked the shots during post processing and to give an idea of scale.

Great set Duncan #12 being my pic of the bunch, the white rocks look like teeth.

Here are a few from my walk along Blackpool's south shore promenade this morning.

1. Desire.
DSCF6667_zps3a0c06c6.jpg

2. Keep Out. (in camera selective colouring)
DSCF6690_zpsc040dbc2.jpg

3. Drip.
DSCF6691_zps5e286e31.jpg

4. Glitter.
DSCF6696_zps3ca9c8a8.jpg

5. Promenade.
DSCF6701_zpsa9ffac3f.jpg

I think 5 is great, Billy.

If you dont mind me asking, what sort of PP did you use (silverefex?), and what was the camera setup? (exr mode for dynamic range possibly?)

loving number 5 , great look to it.

Here's a couple done with the cokin IR filter

I feel I can answer this better now....
Today we went exploring another stretch of coast and Mum kinda fell in love with this house.
It's empty at the moment and is probably a holiday let. But you never know; it could be that 12 months Mum rent would be a large part of the potential income from 6 months of self catering and a lot less hassle. Don't ask won't get.
i-zTNL9Qj-X3.jpg

Some background info.
There are three basic models of traditional highland home.
The Black House like my Mum is in at the moment. The small two up two down like the one in the piccy - by small I mean I can only stand in the center of the upstairs rooms. And also the larger two up two down with proper upstairs rooms; by modern expectations this would probably be considered the minimum standard.

Last edited:
Great set Duncan #12 being my pic of the bunch, the white rocks look like teeth.

Here are a few from my walk along Blackpool's south shore promenade this morning.

Cheers :beer:

From your fantastic Blackpool set I'm with the others - #5 (y)
Can I also echo the request for info on your processing as the tones in that B&W are perfect.

Back