Gary's 365 - Feelings & Emotions (ended early)

Nice last minute entry Gary, I think i would have liked to have seen more of the rear flames, but cannot fault the front ones!
Insanely hyper is a feeling i only get in extreame circumstances, mainly when drunk and had a few to many smirnoff's

You know me mate, 50mm and dof crazyness :D

I just had to represent energy. And I felt hot. And took this :D

Thanks as always for looking.

Gary.

i think its a great image for what you have described, and yes, i'm going a little crazy with the fifty too because its a brand new toy to me.
Xmas for big kids :D

Keep it up Gary :)

Edit: Forget that actually. I know you'll keep it up as you've got the determination and the patience to do it.

I try and look at all of the 365s on here, but this is always the first one. Look forward to seeing each entry

Keep it up Gary :)

Edit: Forget that actually. I know you'll keep it up as you've got the determination and the patience to do it.

I try and look at all of the 365s on here, but this is always the first one. Look forward to seeing each entry

ditto :D

i like it i actually thought it was a big brother eye when i looked quickly!

why arent u on irc fella?
xx

ditto :D

i like it i actually thought it was a big brother eye when i looked quickly!

why arent u on irc fella?
xx

Well I was about to go to bed, but after reading about the guy who got all his gear nicked, I have decided to stay up and move all my camera gear into the bedroom!!!

Fate is nasty. Why I won't fly :D

Gary.

2653917822_358dc72ff8_o.jpg

In the photo above, two of my most prized posessions. My house and my car. Both of them awesome, neither of which I should have been able to buy. Two medals I wear proudly on my sleeve, as a constant reminder to the world and myself that I have made it. The two fingers I hold up to everyone who told me I would go to jail, become a drug addict or end up dead with a knife in my back. Happy as larry in the knowledge that in the grand scheme of things, 'I'm all right jack'.

Except i'm not, and I shouldn't be. What some people fail to realise, is the true cost of these medals I am only too quick to display. People see a nice house, a slick car, and just assume I have it easy. They see a happy go lucky guy without a care in the world. Some see a cocky, egocentric ******, and some, simply see a snob. In the end, all they are seeing, is the dillussion that I bought into before opening my eyes. They are seeing material gain transformed into happyness, and some people are simply too blinded to see the reality of it all. The reality that in fact, material gain can never lead to true happyness, and more often than not, can lead to severe unhappiness.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to play the poor little rich kid card. The fact is, i'm not poor, nor rich, and certainly not a kid :)! I am simply trying to point out, the serious flaw in ones attitude, the flaw that leads one to believe having all this sh*t can bring you a better life! People need to realise, there is always a stabaliser which will grab you by the balls, and drag you kicking an screaming back down to earth. You might think you can live life in the stratosphere, free from the worries down below, but mark my word, the law of gravity always seems to kick in, and sooner rather than later.

The day Claire and I settled on a house was fantastic. Finding our own place, somewhere we can really settle into and call home, was a feeling I will never forget. I remember seeing the property in my local paper, and taking a sneaky unplanned drive to see it in the flesh! It was around 10pm, and it was dark out. The house was lovely, illuminated with custom wall lights, and a homely glow emerged from the sittingroom window. As we walked past the front garden trying to make sure we were not seen, a shooting star flew overhead, and Claire instantly picked up on the sign. Shooting star or not, and having not even looked inside, I was in love with the place! It was perfect, and the very next morning, I made an offer.

I remember getting the call back from my lawyer, 'It's yours, offer accepted'. I was ecstatic, over the moon! Gravity had just given me a free pass to the stars, and I was flying as high and as fast as I could.

It took several months before we could come home. Massive problems with the previous owners new house resulted in them delaying our entry by nearly 3 weeks. As the day approached, so did the anticipation. We were lucky to be renting our flat at the time, as I would not have enjoyed being in the 'having to sell to buy' position, especcially with the additional wait we had!

Moving day...
With a lorry full of furniture, and bucketloads of hopes and dreams, we unloaded the lot inside our new pad. We were home at last, and it felt good. My Mum and family were the first to visit us, I remember as she came in, amazed at the place, she bawled her eyes out. She cried so much, and kept telling me how I had made her proud, and she was so very happy for me. She gave me the biggest cuddle of my life, whilst trying to stem the flow of tears. It was emotional.

Little does she know, I too have shed a tear or two. It's as if I have left the world I used to know, and come into a world I don't belong in.
I see all my neighbours with flash cars and big houses, and I feel like an alien. I meet old friends, and when they ask how I am doing, I have to lie. And when I visit my mum, in one of Edinburgh's roughest estates, I am reminded of where home really is - home sits around the corner from a dark alley, in the middle of Edinburgh's Arsep*t. The only house I can ever trully call home, is Broomhouse.

Today, and every day, I feel guilt. To all my friends and family left behind in a life I managed to escape, I can honestly say, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. If you are looking for happiness, don't search with a wad of cash and a credit card. The only place you will trully find happiness is in the people around you whom you love dearly. Trying to buy happiness is a fools game, and if you aren't careful, you will spend every last penny in a futile search for joy, and the irony is, you will end up completely and utturly miserable as a result.

If there is one thing I want to discover over the course this project, it's the knowledge that you can loose it all, and still be happy. That gift, would be trully priceless. I feel I am one step closer, after writing this.

Gary.

Last edited:
That has made me want to be down London more :(

I can really see what you mean about where you feel home really is, funny that ant it?

Interesting read (y)

Tony

great image, one of my favorite cars. I believe money is not the root to happiness either, but i do believe for the short wins it does help.

great image, one of my favorite cars. I believe money is not the root to happiness either, but i do believe for the short wins it does help.

It's a double edged sword at best, and a blunt tool too. No good having money if it destroys the life you knew and loved.

Gary.

Elise 111r's are awesome cars!

As for not telling your friends you've not made it, WHY NOT?!

You're the one who's earned a wage, you're the one who's bought your car, you're the one who's got Claire, and you're the one who's bought a house & you're the one who's got friends & hobbies. Why hide that? By all means don't rub it in their face, but why hide what you've done and how you've done it? You shouldn't hide what you've become. Be true to youself and others :)

Elise 111r's are awesome cars!

As for not telling your friends you've not made it, WHY NOT?!

You're the one who's earned a wage, you're the one who's bought your car, you're the one who's got Claire, and you're the one who's bought a house & you're the one who's got friends & hobbies. Why hide that? By all means don't rub it in their face, but why hide what you've done and how you've done it? You shouldn't hide what you've become. Be true to youself and others :)

Where I come from, it will simply cost you those friends. Thats the conflict in my head, and it's where my guilt resides too. Its not right that so many of the people I love are still living in a s***hole, my family included. My family often think I have enough to buy them houses, and I trully dont :( I so wish I could buy my Mum a nice place, but I have massive bills, and the CSA robbing me blind.

Gary.

Gary, can i just say your writing is so expressive and you know how to put feelings is to words very good i think :) And your photos are very good (y)

Tony :)

Last edited:
Gary,
As someone also from a bad estate, and in the process of trying to escape. I can kinda see how you feel.
The difference is i've never had any friends who are considered 'rough' all my friends were the ones whose parents had nice cars and beautiful houses, and it made me want to be part of them, and to belong.
Its not often now (and it is terribly tragic) that you see people from bad estates managing to do what you've done, and so well. You need to know you can still be a friend to your older friends, and you should never ever feel ashamed of your achivements.
You are what i like to call 'A Diamond from the Rough' You know what its like on both sides.
Your mum isnt ashamed of what you've done, she is incredibly proud. you should be too.
And remember, your older friends won't judge you for your achivements, if they are true friends they will be damm proud of you aswell.

So keep your chin up my 'Diamond from the Rough' and be proud.

Last edited:
why shouldnt you tell your freinds?
If they want to fall out with you then there not true friends, i would love all of my freinds to make it in life - unfortuntely some wont though.

The saying goes,
A friend will be visiting you in jail asking you "what you had done?"..
A True friend will be sat next to you asking you "What went wrong?"

Gary It sounds as though you don't always feel you belong in your 'new' life (which you've earned, btw) but don't really belong in your past life either.

Imo, the truth is that you actually belong in both lives but you feel guilty about them both. You don't need to feel guilty - you can choose not to! Nobody can make you feel any kind of emotion without your consent.

Ahh - the Elise. One of my sons has one and when he got it he said he wanted a car that would put a smile on his face when he had a long drive home after a hard day ... he still feel like that several years on. Enjoy yours :D

Your 365 is a daily 'must read'. I don't know how you manage it. :clap::clap:

Gary It sounds as though you don't always feel you belong in your 'new' life (which you've earned, btw) but don't really belong in your past life either.

Imo, the truth is that you actually belong in both lives but you feel guilty about them both. You don't need to feel guilty - you can choose not to! Nobody can make you feel any kind of emotion without your consent.

Ahh - the Elise. One of my sons has one and when he got it he said he wanted a car that would put a smile on his face when he had a long drive home after a hard day ... he still feel like that several years on. Enjoy yours :D

Your 365 is a daily 'must read'. I don't know how you manage it. :clap::clap:

I think you have rally hit the nail on the head with regards to not belonging. There is part of my life where it all makes sense, and its the quiet time with my family. My wife, son, mum and sisters. It doesnt matter where I am. if I am with them, its all good.

The Elise is nuts, I have a Tesco 1/2 a mile away. I choose to shop at the Tesco 7 miles away, and the end of the bypass on route to the forth road bridge :)

Gary.

Where I come from, it will simply cost you those friends. Thats the conflict in my head, and it's where my guilt resides too. Its not right that so many of the people I love are still living in a s***hole, my family included. My family often think I have enough to buy them houses, and I trully dont :( I so wish I could buy my Mum a nice place, but I have massive bills, and the CSA robbing me blind.

Gary.

We've had our runs ins in the past on this forum man, but I believe you to be a genuine guy and I admire you for putting your thoughts out into this thread and sharing a lot of your emotions with us, not many people would do that.

There are always people worse off than you and at times when you think **** is going hard you just got to remember that. Hard problems are worth solving and I reckon you've been doing that for a while and will continue to do so. I'm also pretty sure that regardless of whether or not you buy your mum a nice big house, she's insanely proud of what you've achieved. No doubt.

I also grew up in a pretty rough area and have done things that I'm not proud of and things that I regret every day of my life. I'm not wealthy but live a happy life with my wife and work is good and at the end of the day happiness and contentment are two of the most important things you need to be aiming for.

Last edited:
We've had our runs ins in the past on this forum man, but I believe you to be a genuine guy and I admire you for putting your thoughts out into this thread and sharing a lot of your emotions with us, not many people would do that.

When, where? :)

There are always people worse off than you and at times when you think **** is going hard you just got to remember that. Hard problems are worth solving and I reckon you've been doing that for a while and will continue to do so. I'm also pretty sure that regardless of whether or not you buy your mum a nice big house, she's insanely proud of what you've achieved. No doubt.

Thanks mate, really appreciate the comments.

Gary.

Haha :D The web design thread? Water, bridge, under :D Didn't we kiss and make up in private ;) ?

I think you should pat yourself on the back Gary. The car and the house, wife, kids etc have all been through dedication and hard work so you have earnt it fair and square. My mum felt quite embarassed when we moved to our current house 18months ago. She felt it made our family look more wealthy than what we actually are. I told her to STFU and enjoy what she, and my Dad have worked their lifes towards. I remember when i was very young my mum taking me out all the time to give my dad enough piece to complete his degree. Raising two sons and a completing a degree at the same time in my eyes deserves an award on its own.

Basically what im pointing out is everyone deserve to enjoy what they have worked hard for (y) The image is lovely and vibrant too :) are you bringing the lotus when you come for a mooch round denbigh??? :LOL:

Yeah lol. And also man, next time you do some Urbex give me a shout, and if you fancy doing some in Glasgow I'll give you a heads-up a week or so before I go out.

Yeah lol. And also man, next time you do some Urbex give me a shout, and if you fancy doing some in Glasgow I'll give you a heads-up a week or so before I go out.

Heard there are lots of cool places in Glasgow, would love to have a go.

I have 1 more set of urbex I am doing this weekend, but need to go alone, will explain afterwards - gonna be awesome :D

Gary.

Sweet. I look forward to the write-up :)

Keep up the good work man, inspirational for beginners like myself.

I think you should pat yourself on the back Gary. The car and the house, wife, kids etc have all been through dedication and hard work so you have earnt it fair and square. My mum felt quite embarassed when we moved to our current house 18months ago. She felt it made our family look more wealthy than what we actually are. I told her to STFU and enjoy what she, and my Dad have worked their lifes towards. I remember when i was very young my mum taking me out all the time to give my dad enough piece to complete his degree. Raising two sons and a completing a degree at the same time in my eyes deserves an award on its own.

Basically what im pointing out is everyone deserve to enjoy what they have worked hard for (y) The image is lovely and vibrant too :) are you bringing the lotus when you come for a mooch round denbigh??? :LOL:

Campervan, I would be deaf if I came in the Lotus!! Kudos to your mum and dad mate.

Gary.

Sweet. I look forward to the write-up :)

Keep up the good work man, inspirational for beginners like myself.

:LOL: Your last urban set heads and tails above mine, they were awesome. I was blown away, great processing.

2653917822_50cb707dfd_o.jpg

Little does she know, I too have shed a tear or two. It's as if I have left the world I used to know, and come into a world I don't belong in.
I see all my neighbours with flash cars and big houses, and I feel like an alien. I meet old friends, and when they ask how I am doing, I have to lie. And when I visit my mum, in one of Edinburgh's roughest estates, I am reminded of where home really is - home sits around the corner from a dark alley, in the middle of Edinburgh's Arsep*t. The only house I can ever trully call home, is Broomhouse.

Today, and every day, I feel guilt. To all my friends and family left behind in a life I managed to escape, I can honestly say, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. If you are looking for happiness, don't search with a wad of cash and a credit card. The only place you will trully find happiness is in the people around you whom you love dearly. Trying to buy happiness is a fools game, and if you aren't careful, you will spend every last penny in a futile search for joy, and the irony is, you will end up completely and utturly miserable as a result.

If there is one thing I want to discover over the course this project, it's the knowledge that you can loose it all, and still be happy. That gift, would be trully priceless. I feel I am one step closer, after writing this.

Gary.

now that pulled a few strings for the girl born in a council house, in the NW of england, that now lives in a 4 bed detached pad in leafy london suburbs and never really 'worked' to get that, just fell in love with the right man, son of a knigh and long standing business owner - and in the interim between childhood and now lived on a very rough council estate and married an alcoholic.

Fact is this Gary, where ever 'home' is, you cannot feel guilty about where you live. 'Home' is where your loved ones are, and that can be several places, where mum is, where the wife/husband is, the kids...anywhere as long as you are, for want of a better cliche, 'in the bosom of your family'

It is my constant joke that I am only here to lower the tone of the neighbourhood, with my jack russell dogs and northern accent, yet I actually get on with my middle class london neighbours, because they actually like the fact I call a spade a bloody shovel and dont 'do' airs and graces. Oh yes, we have our flash neighbours too with fancy cars and noses so far in the air there is snow on the tips of them, but hey, if they want to be like that, its their loss, and I am sure their life is less because of it.

Enjoy what you have mate, because whether you have it or not, you have made a life for yourself surrounded by those that mean the most, and thats what home really is. ;)

There is part of my life where it all makes sense, and its the quiet time with my family. My wife, son, mum and sisters. It doesnt matter where I am. if I am with them, its all good.

Gary.

It sounds like you've got your priorities right. The other stuff is nice to have, but it doen't amount to a hill of beans if that's ALL you've got. I sat with a friend and her dying husband a few weeks ago. At the end he was just holding her hand and whispering her name. He didn't want her to leave him even for a second. It was very moving.

Back