Canon EF 70-200mm F/4.0 L IS USM

As it says in your post, 'A unilateral mistake is where only one party is mistaken and the other party knows about it and takes advantage of the error.'

Now, I was suspicious of 'an error' on Amazon's part, simply because it was such a good deal, but not an outrageous one, and that there may be a mistake; but all other evidence pointed to it being a genuine offer from where I was standing (as confirmed by my previous posts), therefore not, as you describe, a situation in I was taking 'advantage' of any offer.

As it turned out, I was the mistaken party, and, for that, I am rather chuffed (y)

As I said, the price of £635 was higher than I originally thought and thus not "obviously" a mistake, so it's questionable whether this point of law would apply had Amazon even tried to "get out of it", which they obviously didn't :)

I was under the impression that the price was nearer £300, which would quite obviously have been a mistake and thus the law would have given Amazon a "way out" should they have chosen to pursue it.

Glad it worked out for you though and you got a bargain :) Have fond memories of my F4 IS (hope you're treating her well Phil :) )

Cheers. Am over the moon with the deal, actually; had been eyeing the f/4 IS up for a while, but £900ish was a bit much at the moment (although Kerso does a good deal on it), so had been looking at the non-IS version as a compromise. Amazon's deal is one of those times when an opportunity seems not only too good to be true but had one's name written all over it! :LOL:

Makes me wonder though how amazon managed it; profit margins on electronic and photographic goods are slim, and lenses especially hold there value well.

Last edited:
I wonder if those of us on a 5 week wait will actually get a lens or if they will not find any more stock but as the OP of the deal I'm glad you managed to get one anyway. (y)

I'm thinking that now I have managed to establish that it is a genuine offer and not a pricing error (I placed my order when the delivery estimate was still 2-3 days), I think it's highly unlikely that amazon won't fulfill the orders for those of you that have a few weeks to wait. In line with their pricing policy, items can increase/decrease in price whilst sitting in your basket, but once you've actually placed the order the price that'll eventually be charged to your CC is fixed at that point, regardless of whether the price fluctuates in the shop itself. I've bought tons of stuff, large and small, from amazon over the past decade, and have never known them to pull out of an order, even if I have had to wait a few weeks for the item to be delivered (y)

Patience, my son; you will get reward soon! :LOL:

I must admit a few months ago I bought a Pentax DA 35mm f2.8 macro lens from them priced at £300. It was out of stock so I had a 4 week wait but meanwhile the price went up over £100. They still sent it at the old price so you never know :)

Looks like the £635 offer is over: the lens is now available from amazon directly for £1,017.84, an increase of £382 :puke:!! Although it is available from other amazon resellers for about a hundred quid less than that.

Well done those of you who managed to get on the boat before it sailed! (y);)

Looks like the £635 offer is over: the lens is now available from amazon directly for £1,017.84, an increase of £382 :puke:!! Although it is available from other amazon resellers for about a hundred quid less than that.

Well done those of you who managed to get on the boat before it sailed! (y);)

I still have an order on the 3-5 week dispatch timeframe, but no cancellation message from Amazon..... yet......it will be an anxious few weeks waiting.

I still have an order on the 3-5 week dispatch timeframe, but no cancellation message from Amazon..... yet......it will be an anxious few weeks waiting.

Just received mine; arrived this morning! Haven't had a chance to get it out of the box yet. If the rest of you who have a three to five week wait don't get yours, I'll eat my hat. I'm sure your orders will be honoured; you would know about it by now if not (y)

Last edited:

I am in the same boat, but I agree with Nifkin, I am confident it will arrive. No reason why it shouldn't if they have sold and delivered the ones they had in stock.

I cant stand the tension ...................

Mid March, will my nerves hold................

If it doesnt come will I bite the bullet and buy at £900+ .............

Matt
(Probably, I've convinced myself its the best lens in the WHOLE world and it would look just great on my 1D )
When's Father's day :)

Congrats Nifkin

Last edited:
Damn, b*gger and blast.....

Dear Customer

We are writing to inform you that the price for the item

'Canon EF 70-200mm F/4.0 L IS USM Lens' - ASIN: B000I2J2SG

was displayed incorrectly at the time you placed the above referenced order.

Despite our best efforts, with the millions of items available on our website, pricing errors can occasionally occur.

In our Pricing and Availability Policy (see http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=1040614), we state that where an item's correct price is higher than our stated price, we contact the customer before dispatching.

All affected orders have now been cancelled. If you still wish to purchase this item, please place a new order online as from tomorrow, which will be charged at the correct price, when we dispatch it to you.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by this error, and rest assured that we will continue to make every effort to maintain the accuracy of all prices on our site.

We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Warmest regards,

Customer Service Department
Amazon.co.uk

Damn, b*gger and blast.....

Dear Customer

Despite our best efforts, with the millions of items available on our website, pricing errors can occasionally occur.

In our Pricing and Availability Policy (see http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=1040614), we state that where an item's correct price is higher than our stated price, we contact the customer before dispatching.

All affected orders have now been cancelled. If you still wish to purchase this item, please place a new order online as from tomorrow, which will be charged at the correct price, when we dispatch it to you.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by this error, and rest assured that we will continue to make every effort to maintain the accuracy of all prices on our site.

We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Warmest regards,

Customer Service Department
Amazon.co.uk

WHAT???!?!?! This is from an email you received??? That's a real shame. :razz:

Without meaning to rub it in, I've got my copy of the lens sitting on my desk in front of me; I guess I got away with it coz I ordered it whilst it was still during the 2-3 day delivery schedule, and opted for "expedited delivery", which meant it was despatched on Saturday; I guess they're not so hot on double checking prices at the weekend? :shrug:

Well, really sorry to hear that Graham, I'm genuinely surprised at that. Here's hoping others here have a bit more luck ;)

I got the same email this morning too! Pity because I quite fancied a 70-200L f4 IS.

Also got the dreaded order cancelled email :thumbsdown: but then again did I really need another zoom :thinking: the price was too tempting.

I ain't had the email yet, but, I have just sold, and posted, my 70-200 F4 non IS in readiness for the IS version.....:crying:

No cancellation message YET

Fully expecting one now though, as I ordered after a few of the people on here who have received one (maybe they are cancelling the orders in the order they were placed)

Thanks Nifkin anyway, always worth a shot! :)

Dave.

I've just got the email too....

:(

what can you do?

was worth the risk.....

think on the positive side...

I've still got £635 in my bank account.....

Ditto :(

Matt
Actually I'm wondering if a longer lens might be better anyway.

:puke: :bang: :puke: :bang: :bang:

stay away from alcohol and sharp objects!

I'm thinking my next email from amazon will be...

'your item has been despatched and will arrive shortly'

Although, after coming back from the Post Office and within 2 mins reading this post I think it might just be a bad day...:)

Although, after coming back from the Post Office and within 2 mins reading this post I think it might just be a bad day...:)

If all else fails, Mick, do bear in mind that Mr Kerso does a good deal on this lens that isn't a huge amount more than the dodgy amazon deal; may be worth checking it out with him (y)

Dear Customer

Blah Blah Blah ......... oh well, didnt really expect it :LOL:

I was joking when I wrote the above, but.......I just got this......

Dear Customer,

Greetings from Amazon.co.uk.

We are pleased to report that the following item will dispatch sooner than expected:

Canon "Canon EF 70-200mm F/4.0 L IS USM Lens"
Previous estimated arrival date: March 05 2010 - March 23 2010
New estimated arrival date: February 23 2010

Dear Customer,

We are pleased to report that the following item will dispatch sooner than expected:

Fingers crossed for you (y)

Keep us updated - much better thriller than who killed 'Archie' :LOL:

Good luck...

wonder if you could tell us what time your confirmation email was dated from amazon when you placed your order.....

Thanks.

Dear Customer,

Dear Customer,

Woohoo! That's excellent! But just to be on the safe side, check to see if they've actually taken payment from your CC/bank account; if they have, you're home and dry! (y)

Woohoo! That's excellent! But just to be on the safe side, check to see if they've actually taken payment from your CC/bank account; if they have, you're home and dry! (y)

It has not been dispatched yet so they won't of taken my money.

The email says I will get another email to say it's actually been dispatched.......

Has anyone else ordered and got this lens?

I got the same email as you Mick. Hopefully we will get a further email tomorrow saying it has been dispatched.

To be honest I'm not that upset I didnt get one now. Sigma have just announced an IS version of their 70-200mm f2.8 and I love this lens on my Pentax.

May not be an L lens but very nice just the same.

Hopefully a few more will get their Canon lens from the look of it. :)

Don't know what's going on and I'm not that confident of getting one.

Btw, I ordered mine last Saturday.....when did you order?

Well that is intriguing. GrahamsewellUK ordered one on Friday the 12th, not too long after I did, and received the 'pricing error' email on Wednesday. It seemed my order went through because it was despatched and paid for before amazon noticed the pricing error. So to send out cancellations to some people, and then to appear to be expediting the orders of a few others (on an incorrectly priced item that has yet to be paid for) seems like madness to me! Don't get me wrong, I hope that those of you who've received this latest email from amazon have your orders fulfilled, but it makes no sense to me... :shrug::thinking:

Keep us informed though! (y)

I don't think the order confirmation time signifies anything. Some earlier orders have been cancelled, and some later ones appear at the moment to be on the brink of despatch.

Just had the email I hoped for..

Greetings from Amazon.co.uk,

We are writing to let you know that the following item has been sent to:
M. Johnson

I also just received an email that mine has been dispatched.
Shipped via Royal Mail Special Delivery (estimated arrival date: February
23, 2010).

Should arrive tomorrow. :)

Thank you for contacting Amazon.co.uk.

We regret that the pricing error occurred and we are sorry that you are disappointed with our decision to cancel your order for "Canon EF 70-200mm F/4.0 L IS USM Lens".

In our Pricing and Availability Policy ( see http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=1040614), we state that where an item's correct price is higher than our stated price, we will cancel the order and notify you of that cancellation.

Data Protection guidelines prevent us from commenting on customer or order information that is not related to your account.

Despite our best efforts, due to the extensive nature of our catalogue, pricing errors can occasionally occur. We endeavour to provide our customers with the best possible customer experience and we realise that on this occasion, as a result of a pricing error, we have not met that standard.

We hope this e-mail answers your concerns and that you will give us an opportunity to serve you again.

Thank you for your patience and understanding in this matter.

Well, I'm pleased for Mick, seeing as he very hastily(!) despatched his non-IS version of the 70-200 in preparation for the new one. Seems like a roll of the dice as far as amazon upholding their policies are concerned; suggests that they don't have a single, integrated stock control system.

For future reference it looks like the best thing to do in a situation like this is upgrade to the fastest delivery option available, that way the order is confirmed and dispatched before amazon know what's hit them ;)

Last edited:
Back