Canon EF 70-200mm F/4.0 L IS USM

If I had the money I would!!! :(

I just have! :) I've seen fluctuations in pricing before on Amazon, happening almost on an hourly basis, but this is £200-£250 cheaper than the closest competition! Had been eyeing up the non-IS version, but, at this price, the credit card could take the hit! :naughty:

Last edited:
If you look at the "More Buying Choices" you can select from Amazon at £635.94 :banana:

was this advertised at £335????

No, before weetobix edited his post, he said that the price on the link was still £300 more than the lens was 3 years ago, which would have made it £335 as it's up for sale at £635....

I think James was looking at the £900+ price on the link! ;)

When I started this thread the £635 offer fulfilled by Amazon was the primary offer that the link went to; now they've changed the page so that the link goes to a 3rd party reseller who is charging £900+ for the lens, with the original Amazon offer relegated to the "More buying choices" menu on the right-hand side of the page. Not only that, but the despatch estimate for the Amazon offer was 2 to 3 days, now it's two to five weeks; things move swiftly there, eh?

So, as it appears to be Amazon selling driectly at that price - albeit with impossibly long delivery times - is it a safe punt or just another case of "if it looks too good to be true?"

Its a bargain price (£635) but no indication of where they are getting them from or how you stand warranty wise. I read that L series will be repaired anywhere as they have International Warranty, is that true?
Make a lovely present for the second hand 1D (Mk 2) I have just raided the piggy bank for :)
Not sure what the Mrs might say though!!!

Matt

Perhaps Amazon read this forum?

Haha doubt it. This isn't the first time I've seen a wild price fluctuation on Amazon. Also, all stuff sold by Amazon directly is sourced from the manufacturer/authorised distributor, so, yes, it does come with a full and valid warranty. I've already had my confirmation email from Amazon, saying mine will be despatched by the 14th Feb at the latest. From what I've read elsewhere they do honour transactions like this, even if they have got the price wrong!

EDIT: Offer is still there if you go the the "More buying options" box on the right of the webpage and purchase from Amazon directly.

Last edited:
I have ordered one as I am seriously thinking of jumping over to a Canon 7D.
The way I loook at it I have 3 weeks before it arrives to decide what I am going to do and another month after that to send it back if still sealed.

Thanks to the OP for the heads up. (y)

Damn, damn and damn again, that's £1300 spent this week alone.
The wife's just bought me this as an anniversary present/birthday/next Christmas present all rolled in to one, which seems fair.
I shoved it in the shoping basket an hour ago and according to my e-mail having just checked out they are going to ship in early March, seems fair enough, I thought I'd missed my chance, going to be a very tense few weeks waiting for this little beauty.

Matt

I have been debating the spend on one of these for quite a while and could not resist this offer. I Just ordered one about 10 minutes ago, again with a March 1st window for dispatch. But worth the wait at the price. Thanks to the OP :).

Well let's keep our fingers crossed that it gets honoured by Amazon; just researched that there was a case a while back where they accidently priced an HP pocket PC at less than eight quid (was worth £300) :wacky: so loads of people leapt on it. Amazon said it was in their t&c's that they could cancel the orders.... not sure what the outcome was though. Have heard before that they will honour small discrepancies; depends on which category this falls into, if it is a discrepancy at all! Anyway, seeing as mine is supposed to be delivered next week, I'll keep you informed (y)

Last edited:
I spotted on the Canon UK web site that this lens is no longer listed. So possibly, Amazon did a deal with Canon to offload them?

Perhaps they are about to announce their new IS (IS II) for the f/4 like they just added to the f/2.8 recently.

Looks at though they are still available at 635.94 2-5 week delivery time.

Still an absolute bargain though!!

i was looking at getting the non IS version but this is very tempting

I spotted on the Canon UK web site that this lens is no longer listed. So possibly, Amazon did a deal with Canon to offload them?

Hmmm. Interesting. Seems odd if they are launching a mk2 of this particular version of the 70-200, seeing as it's the most recent of the 70-200 range (not including the f/2.8L IS USM II of course) at barely over three years old! But I suppose it could happen; would be a bit out of the blue; but I guess the announcement of the f/2.8L IS USM II and the EOS 550D took people by surprise also!

Well, wouldn't bother me if they are about to launch a new version of the f/4 IS though; the original is still an awesome lens that would be hard to improve upon. And the RRP of a mk2 version is likely to be astronomical if the price of the f/2.8L IS USM II is anything to go by.

I was looking at Amazon's sales rank for electronic and video stuff; the lens we're discussing is ranked an impressive #17 overall in that category and, unsurprisingly, at #1 in the lenses catergory. The £635 price is apparently 38% off the retail price, which seems a lot. However, many of the items in Amazon's top 100 photo/electronic list have anything between 20% and 50% knocked off the price, so, from my point of view, this is a genuine deal :clap:

I'll let you know once my lens has been dispatched. Let's keep our fingers and toes crossed eh? (y)

Last edited:
Yes, they're not obliged to sell at the price they list:crying:

And the offer has been there for over 24 hours now, so they must've had the orders flooding in; I'd be surprised, if it is a mistake, that they wouldn't have already updated the site and notified pending order holders of the error... :|

Well it isn't showing on this page, but that doesn't surprise me, because the Canon websites aren't very well managed and there are all sorts of out-of-date pages and inconsistencies floating around there. And, for some reason, on the page you linked to Ed, there are a lot of lenses there tagged as 'New' which clearly aren't! :cautious::LOL:

Last edited:
Having had a quick search it does seem very cheap.

I'm tempted as I wanted this lens to replace my 70-200 non IS.

Yeah, whilst once they confirm your order, a contract is technically formed, if the price is obviously a mistake then it's considered that you entered into said contract in bad faith, as you knew the price was wrong, and thus it's null and void and they can refuse to fulfill the order.

Of course, whether the price is obviously a mistake is sometimes open to question, but I think this qualifies :)

Yeah, whilst once they confirm your order, a contract is technically formed, if the price is obviously a mistake then it's considered that you entered into said contract in bad faith, as you knew the price was wrong, and thus it's null and void and they can refuse to fulfill the order.

Of course, whether the price is obviously a mistake is sometimes open to question, but I think this qualifies :)

That bit in bold above is complete nonsense, Vertigo.

Anyway, update: Just received an email from Amazon confirming that the lens has been despatched and my CC has been charged. Will be receiving my 70-200 f/4L IS - for the amazing price of £635!!! - on Tuesday the 16th!

Sweeeeeet :clap::bonk::LOL:

That bit in bold above is complete nonsense, Vertigo.
Afraid not. Have a read here: http://www.gillhams.com/articles/393.cfm

A unilateral mistake is where only one party is mistaken and the other party knows about it and takes advantage of the error. A unilateral mistake also negates consent and the existence of an agreement.

(i) Unilateral mistake as to the terms of the contract

For a unilateral mistake to be operative, it must relate to the terms of the contract. This type of mistake occurs where one party is aware of the mistake and takes advantage of the other party’s error. Such a mistake will render the contract void.

In the case of Hartog v Colin and Shields (1939) the seller had made a mistake as to the price of goods and it was held that the buyer must have realised the mistake and as it concerned a term of the contract, the contract was held to be void.

As for this particular case, after reading Slimbert's post, I was under the impression that the lens was on offer for sub-£400. The £635 you paid sounds a lot "less" like a mistake and so the subjectivity I mentioned comes into play. £635 isn't so cheap as to be obviously a mistake, in my view, and could reasonably be viewed as being a (very) special offer.

Last edited:
Back