Soggydiverdans 52... Including week 12, (but only in moderation!!)

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok
This is the first 52 I've attempted.
and for the first week, i have this

DSC_0022 by soggydiverdan, on Flickr

My method of thought was this
Accomodation=home
home=house
house=American TV show called 'house'
American TV show called 'house'=Grays anatomy (opening sequence)
Grays Anatomy=Medical Textbook...
so...
Here it is:)
Taken with my mum's D40 (as am spending the weekend at parents without my camera...)
Or is that a bit... tenuous?
Dan

Last edited:
round about way of getting to the theme, but I can see the logic.

nice use of focal length (y)

Hahaha :D

Using that logic you should be able to take a picture of anything you like for the rest of the challenges! 7 degrees of separation and all that...

Hahaha :D

Using that logic you should be able to take a picture of anything you like for the rest of the challenges! 7 degrees of separation and all that...

I'm not going to use that logic for all of them, I was just really stumped by this one (being as I only found the theme today as well!!)

they will be more in keeping in the future, I promise!

Nice DOF and truly unique interpretation of this weeks theme :LOL:

Looks a little dark to me but the depth of field is spot on.

Now we know who has the crowbar this year :LOL:

Andy

Well, I have a grand plan for my second week, and will be (attempting) the shoot at near midnight tomorrow... outside...
buuut... i have high hopes for this:)
umm...
any suggestions re: exposures??
am thinking 30sec (longest I can do), auto aperture (i know, i know, wuss!) iso 200, and... hope to get some light trails as well as the main event!

Maybe.

btw...
crowbar?

Last edited:
sounds interesting for week 2. Can't wait to see it. I'm no help with exposure really. I did try last week looking over towards Hanley but my old tripod was useless. I now have a nice new redsnapper one so will have to have another go sometime.

The crowbar is a metaphorical tool used to make a shot fit into a theme that it wasn't meant to. I seem to recall using it a couple of times last year :LOL:

Andy

I quite like how you got there, and I think the shot works!

Incidentally, I seem to remember reading somewhere that the series finale of House was actually shot with 5D MkII's (think it was in PhotoPlus or something). Don't know how true that is?

And now for week 2

This is a shot from the staff car park at the hospital I work at, of the New Hospital that is being built on the site.
This was meant to be taken from the top floor (i.e. roof) of the multi, but... it was piddling it down, so had to go inside.
This is also NEW, as it's a kind of photography I've never tried before, namely long time shot.

I didn't get the lights the way I wanted them, but I did on the first attempt (but all else was far to dark, and unrecoverable in photoshop)

I know it's not perfect, but... notice the light trails (first ever shot of them, too:-D)

I know it's not straight, and I also know the slats on the window are visible... but I kind of like that (and also not good on ps!!)
In the future, I would take longer trying to straighten up, and also spend more time trying for the shot I wanted (but I wanted to get home after a long shift!!)

Please, other then that, C+C - also, if you think you can improve it in post processing, please, do so - show me what's possible from a shot like that!!:)

week 2 - new by soggydiverdan, on Flickr

I liked it, what settings did you use, it seems a bit bright but there is little noise so I assume your aperture wasn't really high?

Cool, maybe next time try a higher F number. It will reduce the streetlights and make the sky a bit darker too as well as adding that little bit of sharpness in the distance. Its still a very nice shot though!! :)

No, it's not blinds, it's the slats on the multi story carpark!
I was planning on shooting off the roof (hmm... sounds wrong...)
but it was raining quite heavily, and I don't want to test my cameras waterproofness!

The problem with long exposures for light trails etc. is you can pick up "ghosts" if an object sits still in frame too long. you have a ghost car on the far left side. :)

apart from the points you've already brought up yourself, good going!

OK...
this shot may need to be replaced, as am really not sure if i can manage 'style'!
(being a bloke and all)
but it's my DJ, classic style...
taken with on camera flash and focussed on the buttons...
is the only stylish thing I own!...
But Imay replace it with something more... imaginative, if i can think of anything, that is!

wk3sg by soggydiverdan, on Flickr

Last edited:
I did have to clone out a stain on the sleeve...
just a shame you can't do that in r/l!
ah well... need to take it to drycleaners i suppose...

and, tbh... I think it works quite well, a lot better then anything else I could think of!

^ Come on Dan... being a bloke does not mean you cant have style... Look at Daniel Craig, Michael Buble, Pierce Brosnan, Mr Big (SATC), Laurence Llewelyn Bowen, and of course Myself!!!

Your suit pic is ok... but i'll be honest and just say ok... nothing wrong with it... but nothing wow about it either... you could even just do a lot more with the DJ... But I wont suggest anything... I've not even thought about my style pic this week!

I agree completely Mark, it's an OK pic...
Please, suggest away! - ame really struggling, and think the crowbar may make a reappearance.
This wasn't meant to be a final pic, just a pic... in case I didn't get the chance to take a better one.
I know blokes can have style! - I'm... just not one of them!!!

I did have to clone out a stain on the sleeve...
just a shame you can't do that in r/l!
ah well... need to take it to drycleaners i suppose...
How did meeting Bill Clinton go anyway? :bonk:

I think it would have been improved if the button on the left was also facing the camera.

Hiya Dan,

OMG I can't believe I have totally missed your thread, I do apologise. So now I have some catching up to do here.

Week 1: I like your thought process for this theme. Like the DOF too. Was this a medical text book? If so is there anything in it about eyes and the accommodation thereof? That would have added to the overall pic.

Week 2: I like the way you have shot the photo through the blinds. Noticed the light trails (something I have not yet attempted) and see the ghost car on the left, which I think fits in quite well, considering where you were. I do however like the first attempt, mainly because I like the lightbursts in it.

Week 3: The thought you have on this take is good. I would have cloned out the white bits on the jacket and positioned both buttons facing forward. I like the angle at which you have taken this and the DOF.

Well done on keeping up with posting pics for each week and now that I have your thread bookmarked I should be able to keep up.

Good luck with the rest of the project.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Hi Thanks Dawn,
It was a radiographic text book, so, near enough a medical one to make no difference...

thanks for the compliments about week one and two,
and this week, I didn't want to clone out too much of the jacket because I'm not terribly good at it yet, and messed it up when i tried, re: the buttons, I can see where you're coming from, and, to be honest, I didn't even think of them when I took the photo!

I'll try a re-shoot later on in the week, assuming I don't get any epiphanies about better shots to take:)

I did attempt some macro work of a bit of jewellery, however being as I don't have a dedicated macro lens, i didn't have much luck, however I'll sleep on it:)

Last edited:
riiight...
well, i was planning on a re-shoot, but decided to do something else.
So here are my two best shots from this shoot...
the first one is a bit of a... plagerisation of both BobsBabes wk 1 (Bobsbabes week one shot) and also Ray S' wk 3(Ray S' wk3)
Using my Sony E-Reader (Touch screen) with stylus and dictionary. I just couldn't get the focus quite right...

Week 3 Mk 2 by soggydiverdan, on Flickr

but, as they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!!

and the second one is all my own!!
My Stylish(ish) glasses, D+G Fragrance, and titanium cross (only jewellery I ever wear!)

Week 3 Mk 3 by soggydiverdan, on Flickr

Make of them what you will...

Hi Dan,

Agree with most others comments about the DJ, so won't dwell on that.

Like the E Reader shot, and the way it incorporates style in the dictionary, a good take on this weeks theme.

Like the idea behind the glasses etc. I think the composition could have been better as you can't really see the cross which is a shame and the shallow DOF means the fragrance bottle is a little blurred, personally I would have liked to see that in focus a little more.

I do like the red background, it would have been nice to see a little more of the reflection. Also looks like the glasses could have done with a bit of a clean on the glass. sorry I am getting very picky.

Still, you have managed to get three shots this week, I am struggling to get one :)

well done

Simon.

Hi simon
Thanks for the comments, The red background was my coffee table (red glass:-D), sadly it really doesn't reflect much.
I see what you mean about the fragrance bottle, I did really want to have the focus of the shot to be the logo on the glasses, and the cross I also agree, but I decided to leave it because of the distortion through the lens of the glasses, If we get a re-shoot card, I'll try it with the cross in a bit more prominence (besides, that was the only way I could get it to not fall over!!)

Thanks for the comments about the e-reader shot:) - I like it too, but as I said, I can't take the credit for the idea!!

I'd probably go for the e-reader shot. Dj didn't really come off too well, and yes clean the glasses before taking pictures

I really like the e-reader shot great idea :LOL:
I like the second shot aswell although until I read what was in the shot I hadnt realised that there was a cross in it
Really like week 1 shot

Thanks Bob, (and sorry about... stealing your idea)
The second shot, I know it can be improved massively, I had an idea in my mind, and got about... 75-80% of the image? (which is better then my norm!!)
However if we get a reshoot card, I know now how to improve it!
(clean glasses, tighter focus (as I really wanted the writing on the bottle to be out of focus) - or maybe get it all focussed! and ditch the cross... it seems to have been more trouble then it was worth to put it in!!)

Like the ideas for #1 and #2, and of the several for #3 I like the glasses shot :)

Out of curiosity how are you lighting these btw?

The two on the red background (coffee table) were natural light through the window, with the main room light on directly above the table, and I had the (built in) flash firing as well, just to get rid of the shadows:)

Ahh cool, have you tried anything over the built in flash to diffuse the light slightly? I've always found the on-board flash a little harsh.

E-reader, looks a bit dull?

Nice idea, though.

Glasses, photograph is a bit busy for me and there's a few distractions: reflection )dot) near the bottom left and the dust on the glasses.

Cheers.

OK
this is my take for week4
I've got a really busy week at work this week, so this is probably going to be my best.
I know it's not very good, but the idea was to have my safe 'open' and containing (obviously) my camera and lenses, so I had to use my brothers D80 (slightly better then my 400d I think!)

I thought of this as soon as I saw the whole 'Open' thing.
It didn't really work out, but if I didn't post this, then I probably won't post anything!!

so, here it is...

opentake1 by soggydiverdan, on Flickr

Feel free to C+C:)
(I know the door is oof, and I've missed the bottom of the safe and door, also the backdrop isn't particularly good... but... ho hum!)

Back