Dontons - too cheap?? Answer : SCAM

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, so feel free to move/remove if it's a problem.

www.dontons.com. One of those 'too cheap to be true' sites? I think the answer lies in the FAQ's where one of the questions is "Why should I buy from Yorkshire Cameras?"
Google Yorkshire Cameras ;)

you would think selling cameras they would be able to take a good pic,the shot of their 1D MK IV is terrible :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

all they have done is change the "yorkshire cameras " site to dontons :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Last edited:
Just had a look on google maps and as far as I can find, their address turns out to be Transform Housing. Not quite a camera shop by the looks of things. Their prices aren't very good either, a Canon EOS 5D Mark II with 24-105mm Lens Kit @ £2519.44, Thats nearly £500 more than I paid at hdewcameras.com and I received my stuff.

Last edited:
Pity I did not find this website and forum before I paid out over £300 for a Tamron lens this week.
Absolute scam company. Spend your money elsewhere.

I have wasted £82 on a small camera through this scam too. I have reported it to Essex Police who said (10 days ago) that they would look into it. I particularly wanted them to close the Barclays account in Ashford that were receiving these payments. I also spoke to Barclays but they didn't want to know, even though they have negligently allowed a fake company that doesn't exist to set up an account with them.:bang:

The following sites are all part of a fraudulent scam. They will take money and supply nothing. They mis-represent themselves as legitimate or long-standing family businesses with UK addresses and company names.
The addresses aren't theirs and the company numbers belong to other active or dormant companies.

www.dontons.com Dontons
The address is someone elses, the company number isn't theirs and it dormant. The phone is off the hook. The site is a copy of 'Dontilo', which is the new name for the well documented as fraudulent 'Yorkshirecameras'.
They only accept bank transfers, change their Barlcays accounts regularly and don't delivery the goods.

www.dontilo.com Dontilo
Previously known as Yorkshire Cameras as well known fraudulent site.
Claiming to be Best UK Deal Ltd which is a new filed company
Not based in Yorshire, or Surrey, but site is registered in Lithuania.

www.dilones Dilones
Pretending to be part of Red Onions (a legitimate company) but it is not.
It has a London address, no doubt not theirs. Also goes by the name of Dintos.

The fraud authorities are aware of these. But they still manage to operate with legitimate UK bank accounts and phone numbers.

Agree with Teresa, wish i'd found this before sending £292 for a lens a couple of weeks ago

Dontons.com is a scam website, I have the unfortunate scars to prove :crying: . I unfortunately ordered a camcorder and have lost money at their site. There is no response from them. I don't need to explain the details, its fairly obviously what happened. Needless to say even if they respond to the emails once they receive the payment there is nothing. They will even offer a discount for making a bank transfer as their card system is not working. :bang:

It is important that those who have tried to order from their sites should cancel whatever credit cards they tried to use when purchasing cameras as I daresay the details were copied and you might find an unexpected debit on them in a few months.

My girlfriend was also scammed by this website a 2 weeks ago ... for a new camera lens £180 .... Yesterday reported it to Police in London... hopefully they will do something....

It's so sad to see people loose out with these .... err...... can't type what I would like to. I'd get kicked off TP.

The phrase "if it seems too good to be true, it probably is" is well worth remembering. The technology industry is rife with these scam sites. Be careful.

At another level, there are also offshore companies that seem to have quite low ethical standards. If you get your cheap goods, all very well, but some of them don't seem to care about taking your money for goods they don't have at the time.

Me, I'd rather pay a little more and buy from a known UK company. The only exception I've made is from a couple of Chinese sellers on eBay, but only if they have very good feedback. And only for very low value items.

I like their banner ad for the 60D - "only £503,99". That's a lot of money for a camera, for anything for that mater. They're keyboard obviously doesn't have a full stop button ;)

Hi all. :wave: First ever post, so be gentle!

I have been digging a bit today and I find ALL the sites below are closely linked and ALL are rip-offs which supply you with nothing.
Warning - there are probably going to be more of these than I have listed here.
As a clue to when a site is false, if they ask for payment by bank transfer then you've almost certainly found one. (poor spelling is another clue)

Laylandelectronic.net
Leylandelc.com
Dontons / Dontilo / Dilones (as noted in earlier posts)

Avoid like the plague all the above.:nono:
Most seem to bank with Barclays in Huddersfield and I will be contacting them later today, I hope.

Happy Snappies. Pax.

Last edited by a moderator:
Staff Edit: removed post - trading outside classifeds

Last edited by a moderator:
I like their banner ad for the 60D - "only £503,99". That's a lot of money for a camera, for anything for that mater. They're keyboard obviously doesn't have a full stop button ;)

The comma is the european style of presenting prices. Another little clue to identifying a site that claims to be UK based or run, but isn't.

Can also check the domain registration e.g. using www.whois-search.com - watch out for clues like recent registration dates and non-UK nameserver e.g. .lt (Lithuania).

Good Evening all, I'm new to this site and I'm looking for a bit of help...and guidance...and firstly thank you for the quick response as to directing me towards an answer…Last night (19th December) I began my research on the internet for the future purchase of a Nikon D7000 (body only). I have been to all the high street shops in my home City of Nottingham and hoped that I could find a more competitive price on the internet...I came upon Dilones.com who potentially offered the best deal...I looked on the site and thereafter I went to see if they were registered at Companies House...Which under Red Onions Ltd they are; However this morning I tried to phone the telephone number provided and it is simply a dead number...from your forum I see that it is indeed a scam...does anyone know of fully legitimate sites where a Nikon can be purchased safely over the internet at a price that is more competitive than the high street? Is for example Pro Camera Shop.co.uk OK?

Hi all. :wave: First ever post, so be gentle!

I have been digging a bit today and I find ALL the sites below are closely linked and ALL are rip-offs which supply you with nothing.
Warning - there are probably going to be more of these than I have listed here.
As a clue to when a site is false, if they ask for payment by bank transfer then you've almost certainly found one. (poor spelling is another clue)

Laylandelectronic.net
Leylandelc.com
Dontons / Dontilo / Dilones (as noted in earlier posts)

Avoid like the plague all the above.:nono:

'Simply Electronic' are another one I believe. There are also a lot of scams involving apparently cheap photo gear on Gumtree. These involve buying UKash vouchers, and the promise of trying the item before you part with the money. Having nothing to do with UKash, and deal face-to-face, in cash, where you can see the item you want to buy.

The contact on Gumtree to avoid is alex.andrews65@gmail.com. His lastest scams are a Nikon D3 for £380 and a Nikon D300S with five lenses for £400.

Last edited:
There are also a lot of scams involving apparently cheap photo gear on Gumtree. These involve buying UKash vouchers, and the promise of trying the item before you part with the money. Having nothing to do with UKash, and deal face-to-face, in cash, where you can see the item you want to buy.

The contact on Gumtree to avoid is alex.andrews65@gmail.com. His lastest scams are a Nikon D3 for £380 and a Nikon D300S with five lenses for £400.

That's probably the well-known "Ainsworth Gang", or the similar mob from Cornwall, currently saturating Gumtree with scam listings.

he's been quite busy over the xmas period with his scams on gumtree lost count on how many times iv'e reported his scams to them!but he still keeps on posting.

hello, small contribution...

Been looking at Dilones website for a nikon d7000
they have little info to accompany their products (in their 'about us' section they claim this as a positive feature of their site)
and so I emailed them filling in a form on their website (no email address given) asking about warranty. I've emailed twice now, as they have not replied I've just done a quick search to see if there are any complaints about their company. Luckily I found the threads on here.. PHEW!
Did another quick search on google maps, brings up an area in london where there are no google street views, and no indication of a Dilones shop.

ee well, will just have to see if any good sales come about later this january. rather rubbish so far!

I've just been pointed in the direction of this thread because i wasn't sure about the website. I'm glad I asked before I went and bought anything! Thanks for the help everyone!

Hi Pax. I too have been ripped of by these over the new year. I shall be writing a strong letter to Barclays in Huddersfield just so I feel beter :O) Please do it too!!

Regards,

Brian

I too am very grateful for the thread on here. I almost parted with my money this morning for a Canon flashgun.

If people have paid with credit cards over £100, get on to them. Banks are indifferent to this scam until they are made public.

PoloMint0 said:
I too am very grateful for the thread on here. I almost parted with my money this morning for a Canon flashgun.

If people have paid with credit cards over £100, get on to them. Banks are indifferent to this scam until they are made public.

They don't accept payment by cc, if you try and pay that way they will email and tell you that there is a problem with your card and that you'll need to pay by bank transfer.....

I was looking at thier site this afternoon viewing Canon D60 or D7, it seemed to good to be true.......and to quote the old adage " if it seems to good to be true,,,then it probably is!!"

Last edited:
Back