The Chuck Away Your Camera Challenge - Picture Sharing Thread

Yv

TPer Emerita
Name
Yvonne, pronounced Eve...
Edit My Images
Yes
Well, here it is folks, for all those that took up the challenge of trying to take some pictures with a disposable camera, here is the place to post one/some/all your efforts :woot:

The original thread is HERE

Please post your own photos and do comment on those posted by others too, this is all about having some fun and learning at the same time :D

If you didn't take part, please do also join the commenting, but bear in mind the equipment used to take these photos ;)

A few of mine. I used a Fuji Quicksnap Marine. Got 14 scannable shots from the negs - some were taken in too low light indoors, so the negs were blank. Devved at home with a digibase kit and scanned on a coolpix.

Toytown for toy cameras
20121013235933_scan-121013-0002.jpg

Mmmm, tasty!
20121013235940_scan-121013-0006.jpg

It's all in the framing...
20121013235948_scan-121013-0007.jpg

Oh the fidelity!
20121013235954_scan-121013-0009.jpg

Flare path
20121014000001_scan-121013-0011.jpg

Input translation, output rotation
20121014000007_scan-121013-0012.jpg

Last edited:
Guys, I am impressed!

Ecniv - your whole set is very impressive in terms of IQ and exposure and you certainly found some great stuff to point it at, especially the Cube pics, which I think are my favs compositionally as well as for subject (y)

Norters - That beach shot is really good, hope mine of a similar subject are even close, but I have to ask, did you use flash on the statue? It looks like it and if you did, that has really worked well for balance.

Cuchulainn - again, all really interesting stuff, but for me, the archway [all in the framing] is the standout image, with the big wheel as a close second. Lovely composition on both (y)

I'm loving the birds shot. So simple yet so.......Hitchcock :D
I'm ashamed to say I took a total of two shots, one of my grin and one of the kids...to ease me into it, then work and family life took over :( I'm still going to finish the challenge though.....just over a bit more time :p

Hi all, thanks for the feedback. Can I just mention to people reading/taking part in this thread that they shouldn't judge film on these pics? :) Apart from the cheap lenses, the film itself will also be cheap, so grainy, low contrast and low saturation. Better modern film will give much more interesting results!

Ecniv: the cube is the standout shot for me. I like woktastic, but composition is slightly off (understandable considering you don't know the camera yet).

Norters: nice set. I'm a sucker for small figures in landscapes, so over there is good for me. Colour shift shows that you were near the latitude of the film I guess. Starlings is fun, simple and nice - love it!

The best (which ain't saying much!) of the 25 that Boots put on CD for me are HERE and the best of those IMO follow...

CNV000242.jpg

CNV000221.jpg

CNV00007.jpg

CNV000182.jpg

Last edited:
Well here is my effort, is ent it amazing how one minute you get a great pic and the next one is grainy and crap

CNV00033 by SpikeK6, on Flickr

CNV00031 by SpikeK6, on Flickr

CNV00026 by SpikeK6, on Flickr

CNV00016 by SpikeK6, on Flickr

5 This is one of the worst I took that is still in one piece

CNV00040 by SpikeK6, on Flickr

This was hard work, the veiw finder was crap kept cutting things off or was that just me (I am blaming the camera) oh and they hate harsh sunlight.

Enjoy looking

spike

Well here is my effort, is ent it amazing how one minute you get a great pic and the next one is grainy and crap

CNV00033 by SpikeK6, on Flickr

CNV00031 by SpikeK6, on Flickr

CNV00026 by SpikeK6, on Flickr

CNV00016 by SpikeK6, on Flickr

5 This is one of the worst I took that is still in one piece

CNV00040 by SpikeK6, on Flickr

This was hard work, the veiw finder was crap kept cutting things off or was that just me (I am blaming the camera) oh and they hate harsh sunlight.

Enjoy looking

spike
You done good, better than me Spike. What's the old saying about about a bad workman blaming his tools? :D

The view finder was a bit hit n miss at getting the framing right.. If only a little lower on the woktastic shot :/

Thanks for the comments. Found it interesting and liking the pics that came out of it.

SpikeK6
#2 for me.. like that pic of the cow :)

happygolucky
#5 because of the unusual point of view
and #6. :)

nod
The ice cream shot... bit tilted hehe but I like the reflection you caught

Cuchulainn
The 'its in the framing' shot :) liking it !

Norters
Bombed and the starlings in flight shots. Like them both :)

Very neat challenge. Thank Yv for setting it up

PS the exposures must be pure fluke as I couldn't set them... weather was mixed sunny and overcast - glad you liked the set :)

Nod - not bad at all, that film looks better than the test one from that batch, just. However, ice cream one is good, but the gulley by the sea wall is awesome, great angle to begin with but the weird wide angle lens has made what was a quite small run off ditch look like the grand canyon, I love it :LOL:

....unlike the one in the pub :bat: :p

Happygolucky - those low angle ones, 5 and 6, are head and shoulders stand out favs for me (y)

Spikek6 - shooting into the sun really worked, but what did you use, the dynamic range on the cow across shadow to retained highlights is brill, and I like the picture too. :D

Really glad people are enjoying it and getting into the whole spirit of the challenge, wasn't sure it would be very popular but everyone does seem to be grasping the bull by the horns and having a real go at getting something good out of it :clap:

This is probably the only one that came out as expected, lost a few to fingers over the lens and being a little adventurous about what cheap 400asa film could actually cope with...

Disp011 by steveo_mcg, on Flickr

These were taken from my bike, framing whilst chasing down a guy much faster than you up a hill with one had on the bars is not as easy as you might think.

This one came back from asda mucky as hell but I like it just the same.

Disp020 by steveo_mcg, on Flickr

Massively underexposed so came out with a weird colour shift in the scanner.

Disp018 by steveo_mcg, on Flickr

This one was taken from just above the front wheel.

Disp004 by steveo_mcg, on Flickr

Here are a few from my first film. Lost several to stray fingers, but I was surprised how many came out reasonably well. Terrible focus fall-off, vignetting and distortion (I have one shot that illustrates all 3 thatI might post later!), but still quite fun. There's a lovely grainy texture at 100%...

1) Abbey Fields in morning sun

69060028.jpg

2) Thatching (taken with half an eye on the F&C September Challenge "Back to work"!)

69060006.jpg

3) Kenilworth Castle (soft in the centre, really OOF further out!)

69060013.jpg

4) Abbey Fields lake in the evening...

69060010.jpg

This has been fun! Second film won't be back from Boots for a week, apparently! :bang:

1970's processing - maybe my old film images haven't gone off with age ;)
Looks like I've made a mistake assuming a decent dynamic range

Landscape
146717063.jpg

photographer and deer
146717070.jpg

Dead tree in shade
146717072.jpg

Paddle steamer Waverly approaching Tower bridge on saturday
146717080.jpg

HMS President
146717081.jpg

The photographer and deer with my digital camera
146717162.jpg

I'm really disappointed with my film shots, wish I'd repeated them on digital now.

Last edited:
I thought I'd post the shot I mentioned that shows the focus problems, heavy vignetting and distortion really well (not to mention the grain). Still has a certain weird charm, though!

69060024.jpg

Spikek6 - shooting into the sun really worked, but what did you use, the dynamic range on the cow across shadow to retained highlights is brill, and I like the picture too

I will be totally honest I did not have a clue as to how this pic would have turned out shooting into the sun, I just seen the shot as I walked back to the office on the site I am working after taking the pic of the cow and thought I wonder what would happen if I just shot into the sun.

The camera was just a Kodak fun saver throw away camera nothing fancy or up market.

Its funny really as i took a few of the cow and they all turned out great, and the mushrooms too but the rest where not that good.

As a foreigner, I wanted to capture images that would scream UK / London! I know it's done a million times everyday, by all the tourists, nevertheless, it's something I wanted to always do ...

1-
AAUK_1.JPG

2-
AAUK_4.JPG

3-
AAUK_3.JPG

4-
AAUK_6b.JPG

5-
AAUK_12.JPG

6-
AAUK_11.JPG

As a bit of a filmie I am a touch surprised at how these came out... I have some that were OK, and they were just OK - but then some that were not OK and they were abysmal. Not content-wise abysmal (well... ) but physically so... like so under-exposed it's like a dark frame. Nonetheless, given that I was stuck in the Balearics when the yearly rainstorms started, not too bad and certainly a fun exercise :D

thewalkway.jpg

Long walk

twosmart.jpg

Two smart

chairs.jpg

Vanishing point

binhereages.jpg

Bin here ages...

Some more from the roll here

Had to get Asda to print rather than scan cos there scanner was down for some reason. These are scans from the photographs - and is probably the first time in about four years I have printed all frames from a roll of film!

Last edited:
Had to get Asda to print rather than scan cos there scanner was down for some reason. These are scans from the photographs - and is probably the first time in about four years I have printed all frames from a roll of film!

Funny considering that to print the pictures they have to scan them first :LOL: (only a couple of labs with the very old optical minilabs left). Their CD writer or something must have been down.

Told me it had been off for a while, several stores the same - guess he meant the system down and no access to anything PC-related so no CDRW as you say. Either that or they wanna get more printing done and less scanning! I do know they just moved the photography section from old place in store to new one inside the "entertainment" section so could be something to do with that. Whatever, I got me some prints for the first time in a long time at least :D

Well I have to say those photos posted are excellent....mine are being held hostage in a draw at boots due a lack of them not being open when I finally get home... Hopefully by the weekend.

nod
The ice cream shot... bit tilted hehe but I like the reflection you caught

Yeah, not surprised about the off horizon, I've always had problems with that! Normally, I would straighten it in PSE but the rules clearly state NO PP. Some of the results posted look a little clean (noise free) and sharpenned to my eyes - maybe some settings in the scanning sotware were tweaked a little to sidestep the rule?

Yv said:
Nod - not bad at all, that film looks better than the test one from that batch, just. However, ice cream one is good, but the gulley by the sea wall is awesome, great angle to begin with but the weird wide angle lens has made what was a quite small run off ditch look like the grand canyon, I love it

....unlike the one in the pub

and
Ambermile said:
omg - excellent

Yv, there are some rejects that the noise is just too much on - in the spirit of the rules, I've only used the Boots scanned files and not tried cleaning them up - the negs are quite thin (underexposed) but may scan and clean up OK using a proper scanner rather than scanning the prints. A LOT more time consuming though!:thinking:

As for that gully shot, the inspiration I can take credit for but (as Yv can testify), I just bent down and hoped the framing was good enough! VERY surprised that the verticals are almost upright - pure guesswork! I'm geting far too old to kneel on wet sand and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been able to see through the finder even if I had!;)

Shame about the ****hole who deliberately splashed J and me with that puddle - had we spotted it parked up, I was rather looking forward to getting my soles sandy and pirouetting on his bonnet! I would have called him a "ladygarden" but thought I might get arrested for shouting the "C" word at the volume I used.:rules:

Thanks again for a great few days out and sorry about that parking ticket - I still feel guilty about that.:(

Yv,sorry about the pub one but it is one of the few that is relatively noise free and it made oi larf! Looking forward to revisiting the Sprat & Mackerel and have recommended it to a few mates who visit Mifsuds on a regular basis.
To anyone here who also visits Mifsuds or just visits Brixham, however infrequently, go to the S&M (right on the old Harbour)(rather a fitting name for a pub run by a couple of "friends of Dorothy", although I'm sure they're far more vanilla than that!) for lunch. Holly... (y)

Last edited:
Discovered for an extra quid that max spielmann will do them within an hour. (total cost 6.99) Should have mine up later today. They've come out as I expected. Full sunshine -ok Not full sunshine - rubbish!

Well what do we have to live up to, I sent my two away today should be posting the weekend.

I think this thread will be open for many months :)

Yeah, not surprised about the off horizon, I've always had problems with that! Normally, I would straighten it in PSE but the rules clearly state NO PP. Some of the results posted look a little clean (noise free) and sharpenned to my eyes - maybe some settings in the scanning sotware were tweaked a little to sidestep the rule?

If they were minilab scanned then grain/noise reduction is applied by default to any film of ISO400 and above (or if chosen by the operator) and sharpened by default, if you didn't sharpen them then then they would just look very soft, like RAW files but even worst; its just a fact of any sort of digital capture, some sharpening is needed.

If they were minilab scanned then grain/noise reduction is applied by default to any film of ISO400 and above (or if chosen by the operator) and sharpened by default, if you didn't sharpen them then then they would just look very soft, like RAW files but even worst; its just a fact of any sort of digital capture, some sharpening is needed.

I agree - I took the "no PP" rule to be more of a "don't take the mick" rule. Scanning at home it's important to tweak the settings on the scanner to get the most out of the neg for later processing, but that will leave a flat and soft pic by default, some sharpening and tweaking for contrast and final white balance is essential. Considering the negative has already had its colours inverted and I had to choose the black point, white point and gamma at the time of scanning, I don't think that's bending things too much!

:clap: Wow, some brilliant images coming in especially given the medium - love your 'screaming UK' Wail (y)

Well, I finally got mine done today, I let snappy snaps dev and scan them to disc - not brilliantly it has to be said, but then given the horrible film that was in it, hardly surprising really :LOL:

Anyway, the entire batch in all its under/over exposed grainy glory & stray fingers is HERE on flickr [ As challenge setter, seems only fair I allow everyone to see my entire roll if you want to ] and these are probably just about the best of a bad bunch.

Disposable Camera by Yvonne White - WhiteGoldImages, on Flickr

3 - Nod & Yves Geza just before the barsteward in the Golf got them with that puddle you can see curbside

Yv, glad to see it's not only my sea that drains through the side due to wonky horizons (#1)!

And was #3 just before or just after the ladygarden drove through that large puddle?

Finally, after a few seconds in Noiseware Community Edition and PSE (for resizing and a crop, nowt else), my cheaty one! (Sorry!)
CNV00007_filtered.jpg

It seems to me that some cameras have an acceptable sharpness to them and some are just downright fuzzy, I don't think any amount of USM can help the latter.
I think you need a basic level of sharp to work with, if you have that for this exercise, you don't need to improve it, if you don't have it nothings gonna help.

I gotta say I'm actually loath to post mine cos imo they look great...:LOL:

well for a disposable plaggy camera containing film with an unhealthy and clearly sexual relationship with the colour green.....they do..:cool:

I gotta say I'm actually loath to post mine cos imo they look great...:LOL:

well for a disposable plaggy camera containing film with an unhealthy and clearly sexual relationship with the colour green.....they do..:cool:

gwt them posted, thought you filmies were meant to be making the rest of us look bad :p :LOL:

Nod, I think it before, as I was just past the kiosks when he 'struck' - but I could be wrong, memory isn't my strong point :wacky: :D

As for straight horizons, my inability to hold a camera straight is so legendary, there are [untrue] rumours circulating that I have one leg shorter then the other. :eek:

Back