Street Challenge : Feedback

Name
Duncan
Edit My Images
Yes
The first of our judges, Kramer O'Neill was kind enough to look through the photos and provide a few comments : (I've copied in the photos from the other thread)

OK, wow, that's a lot of pictures. This connection isn't very happy to load them all, but I'm sort-of snowed in in the foothills of the Colorado Rockies at the moment, and being a lousy nature photographer, I'm happy to have this diversion. Some thoughts:

First off, good job all. I take something like five to ten decent street shots a year, so doing good stuff in that tight a timeframe is quite the challenge. Here are some that particularly appealed to me, and bearing in mind that this is all subjective and what have you, here goes:

249 and 267.

Entry 249:
3128122301_7af77fe6d7_o.jpg

Entry 267:
3127803315_3ac4eeb5b0_o.jpg

Interesting examples of similar shots. Finding people in their private moments in public spaces can be very rewarding; the trick is to make it look good. 249 has some beautiful light, and a nice basic juxtaposition. The people on the right are a bit jumbled, but the diagonals created by the text, as well as those silver balls, somewhat compensate for the right being less than perfect. I'm generally not an advocate of cropping, so I'm not recommending that; I think it works overall. Just not, you know, perfect. (And good luck with that perfection thing, btw.) In contrast, 267 does something similar, but a bit "cleaner." The lights receding from the upper corners of the frame draw your eyes to the middle, and the public-ness of the space is implied rather than overtly pointed out by the presence of other people. To be a bit of a jerk, though: I would get rid of that post-production vignetting effect; I find stuff like that pretty blatant. I think the lines of lights plus the centrality of the main figure might already do what the effect is trying to do, so it's too much. Beyond that, I'm not much for post-production meddling. Which isn't to say I don't post-process the hell out of some of my photos; it's just that there's a difference between accenting elements that already exist on the film/sensor/whatever, and adding things that were never there to begin with. [And, of course, if that light-to-dark border actually is something on the window, I take it all back.]

Entry 54.
DSC_1795.jpg

Very nice scene. I would recommend getting in tighter on the child in the foreground and taking advantage of a wide lens to include the people behind and to his right who are having similar reactions, as its now got some elements that aren't quite working in its favor. It works alright as it is, though. Bear in mind I don't necessarily know what I'm talking about.

Entry 19
img_4547.jpg

Entry 47
3118731082_e9a03f7920.jpg

Entry 162.
3125380982_394e13f836_o.jpg

Ah, the much-maligned "classic" street photography juxtapositions. I am no good at these at all, so good show. With my admiration certified, a few critiques: 19 has that low-angle off-kilter thing that makes me think "hip shot?" I've had any number of internet disagreements with people who think those are a-ok, so let me not go down that road; I just think they tend toward haphazard compositions that don't incorporate compositional elements; you get the thing you're looking at, instead of a rich frame of life. Is that enough? Sometimes, it might well be. For 47, the juxtaposition isn't quite entirely there (we don't really have visual evidence that these Santas are unemployed, although the fact that they are here instead of the North Pole might be enough?). The ball "floating" over the head echoing the circles on the bag in 162 is nice, albeit not quite such a graphic match that it jumps out at you. It also shares a bit of an issue with 47: long lenses and/or cropping (which amounts to the same thing, since it "flattens" the spatial relations between elements). I basically never shoot with anything longer than a 35mm on a 35mm camera, or an 80mm on medium format cameras. It's a pain, yes, but it also makes for more dynamic frames.

Entry 35
img_4729.jpg

Entry 43
London2198-1.jpg

Everyone who shot at the Lloyds building: Good job picking a location. My favorite is probably 35, because that guy looks great, especially in that context. The bright line on the left of the frame, unfortunately, messes things up a bit; a cleaner composition would have been nice. Well-spotted, though. 43 is nice, too, having that lost-in-a-moment quality.

Entry 38
img_4939.jpg

38: nice shot. I might have liked a little more action in the main figures' proximity, but it looks good.

Entry 23
img_4751.jpg

23: That's cool. Way to get right in there. There's something funny and self-incriminating about that guy's look, like he knows there's a pretty woman behind him, and that the photographer (and by extension, the picture's viewer) is actually more interested in her. This aspect may also be heightened by the presence of cameras aimed in our general direction. Cameras-in-a-shot type self-reflexive shots often end up being less clever than the shooter thinks they are (and let me tell you, I say this from personal experience), but this one really works for me.

So thanks for inviting me to comment, sorry to those whose shots I didn't mention (I hope I haven't gone on too long as it is), and good work all. Incidentally, if you don't mind the occasional incredibly harsh back-and-forth, the image critique thread in the Hardcore Street Photography flickr group can be a wonderful resource. Just, you know, go in expecting you might get your carefully-crafted work torn to smithereens. It's all part of the learning process, I suppose.

Thanks again,
Kramer

Just read through it all, some really interesting insight there, and good feedback.

I'm happy that he enjoyed two of my images, but more than that, I guess sad that so many great images have been left without comment. I am in no way blaming him, I mean hell, you get a great tog to judge, and 350 images is a hell of a lot to comment on! As a result, I think sooner rather than later, we must all chip in and discuss what was shot, and make sure every member gets their fair share of feedback and crit. We have another judge lined up, and afterwords, we should do what we do best...discuss, discuss, dicuss! (or is that debate, debate, debate? ;))...

Anyway. Looking forward to the rest of the judging, but more than that, looking forward to the work we all have in going through the entries, one member at a time, and the subsequent learning we will do as a result.

Well done TP :clap:

Gary.
PS - I really enjoyed the others he picked (Sacked Santas is AWESOME in terms of Juxawhattyacallit?)

:clap: That is some excellent feedback on all the shots and just reconfirms my feelings on a personal level that I need to get that 28mm lens for my camera and 'get right in there'

Many thanks to Kramer for his input so far, I am not remotely jealous that he is sort of snowed in in the foothills of the Colorado Rockies in anyway :LOL:

I agree with what he said about mine, but its Liverpool and I was surrounded by scally Mums. No way I'm getting that close :)

easier for big city s try it in my village different story, in cities peps dont care if you tog em, different story here, anyway fantastic feedback, and reading from a pro,understand the comments I an awe wow insight (y)(I wonrt look at an image the same again) or through my VFer

I'm happy that he enjoyed two of my images, but more than that, I guess sad that so many great images have been left without comment. I am in no way blaming him, I mean hell, you get a great tog to judge, and 350 images is a hell of a lot to comment on! As a result, I think sooner rather than later, we must all chip in and discuss what was shot, and make sure every member gets their fair share of feedback and crit. We have another judge lined up, and afterwords, we should do what we do best...discuss, discuss, dicuss! (or is that debate, debate, debate? ;))...

Anyway. Looking forward to the rest of the judging, but more than that, looking forward to the work we all have in going through the entries, one member at a time, and the subsequent learning we will do as a result.

Well done TP :clap:

Gary.
PS - I really enjoyed the others he picked (Sacked Santas is AWESOME in terms of Juxawhattyacallit?)

I'm wondering if in future there should be some sort of limit on the number of images you can submit to a competition? It'd be easier for the judges and for us to discuss. Like choose your best 4 or 5 images. I mean, look at it from the judges point of view. I don't know, but that's my opinion. Quality over quantity and all that. I put two in, maybe I'll put 40 in next time.

GOT MOTION ID TO JUDGE SOME, HERE IS HIS TAKE:

Gary,
Took a look through all the shots. Also took a bit of a read of the thread too.

For what it's worth, here is my 2yen worth.

"Street" photography is HARD.
As far as "Official" street photography goes (and what I mean by official is = based on the work, style and equipment choice of Henry Cartier Bresson, William Klein or Joel Meyerowitz etc.) There should be some kind of interesting statement or action or group of actions going on in the frame that makes you think about the shot and/or admire it for how clever it is.
And until you try to really shoot it, some street photography is hard to understand.
mocp.org/collections/permanent/uploads/KleinEL2003_191.jpg

This shot, for example is not interesting to me but it's clever and very hard to take because of the positioning of all the heads, the different personalities and the fact that they are all looking in different directions.

Stuff I shoot on the other hand seems to break all the rules of the traditionalist groups and also has a different purpose (which is probably why I'm not a part of hardcore street photography - but the guy's who run this are ******s anyway).

The stuff I do tends to be candid portraits but caught so that the subject might even be looking at the camera but has not reacted and also I try to get the shot to look like a movie still which makes the ordinary a bit different.

But looking back at my stuff:
folio.50mm.jp/#/album/51072/
I can see that more than 3/4 of it is pretty normal and nothing that special. And I say this for 2 reasons.
1. When you asked me to judge peoples work I had to think about what appealed to me and why. And 2. then when I did this I applied this to my own work to see what I'd say (can't say 1 thing and do another).
So don't think for a minute I'm thinking my stuff is better than everyone elses.

All of the above is putting my option on the work presented into context.

So, after looking through all the shots I'm honestly not sure that I have a favorite, so I'm not going to pick 1 but I'l pick a large handful and explain WHY I like them.

19. The hand with the nose. It's not a bad shot. It's not great. But who ever took it gets personal cred from me cause taking a shot that close is ****ing hard :)
img_4547.jpg

22. This is your classic street photo. Well done.
img_4707.jpg

116. REALLY subtle but that "additional seating downstairs" and the girl outside is magic.
3117811825_bcfd30332e_o.jpg

128. Great expression, great background behind the head, lovely reflection / interior combination - just a bummer about the photographers reflection (maybe a bit of photoshop and don't tell anyone ;-)
3123598336_1e96176c2d_o.jpg

220.Magic shot. You'd usually have a team to set this shot up. Perfect.
1B2Q2892.JPG

260. Wonderful shot. She's over weight, 2 kids with some crazy cart for them, lighting a cigarette and the placement outside the store with the signage is just priceless. A real statement about the area I'd guess :)
3129024888_1ce8962716_o.jpg

335. Sometimes you are in the right place at the right time. Major points for having the balls to stick around and shoot it. Now tell me what happened!
Hollywoodbrawl1218085.jpg

In the end this is just my opinion and the shots I liked. Does not mean the others are bad or are any less than the ones I chose (ok, there were some pretty bad ones but some good ones that are maybe good for other reasons - but this goes for my stuff too)

That's my list.
After looking through all of them I found most of them were about just getting the courage to shoot people in the street.
It's not at all easy and over time you develop and few tricks.
The few that I use are:
1. Stay in one place and let the people come to you.
If you walk into a space then people tend to look at you. If you are static then anyone else waiting around looks at the person entering the scene.
2. Wait - for a LONG time. Let thing's happen in front of you. Watch for interesting shots.
3. Take the shot and if the person looks at you funny move the camera from your face, look past the person, and look like your re framing the shot, all the while looking past them and aiming the camera just past them. it's important to never look at the person. Ignore them and be focused on what's behind them (even if it's a wall or a sky).
4. Smile, keep smiling. This is HARD to do especially if you've been standing on a corner for 3 or 4 hours in the cold. But it pays off. You'd be surprised at how many people smile back - even when you are not taking a picture.
5. This is my own personal one. Be prepared to delete your whole memory card in front of someone if you **** them off. My goal is to not **** people off and get the shot. If someone is upset by me taking a photo I'll be glad to give them the whole roll or wipe the card. But that's just me :)

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Sean.
PS. I deleted my flickr stream with comments and all. Starting over.
Here's a list of places you can see my stuff:

www.flickr.com/photos/motionid/

www.flickr.com/photos/motion-id/
folio.50mm.jp
50mm.jp

I'm wondering if in future there should be some sort of limit on the number of images you can submit to a competition? It'd be easier for the judges and for us to discuss. Like choose your best 4 or 5 images. I mean, look at it from the judges point of view. I don't know, but that's my opinion. Quality over quantity and all that. I put two in, maybe I'll put 40 in next time.

Well,

I had originally requested 1, but glad that it was ignored, as we got to see a real sample of what we all thought was street. Now, correct meif I am wrong, but "quantity" has nothing to do with the results, not really. The judges will surely pick the ones they like, based on the photo contents.

Gary.

Once again, many thanks for valuable feedback Sean.

3. Take the shot and if the person looks at you funny move the camera from your face, look past the person, and look like your re framing the shot, all the while looking past them and aiming the camera just past them. it's important to never look at the person. Ignore them and be focused on what's behind them (even if it's a wall or a sky)
....Can I add to this trick, is that by keeping the camera at your face AFTER you have taken the shot and the subject has left the frame, they tend to think you were waiting for them to move out of shot and are less bothered too ;)

Once again, many thanks for valuable feedback Sean.

....Can I add to this trick, is that by keeping the camera at your face AFTER you have taken the shot and the subject has left the frame, they tend to think you were waiting for them to move out of shot and are less bothered too ;)
You sneaky git.

:clap: That is some excellent feedback on all the shots and just reconfirms my feelings on a personal level that I need to get that 28mm lens for my camera and 'get right in there'

Many thanks to Kramer for his input so far, I am not remotely jealous that he is sort of snowed in in the foothills of the Colorado Rockies in anyway :LOL:

Yv MPB have one in stock at the moment.

Happy Christmas

Nigel

Lots of ideas here and things to think about. I'll be shooting street with new eyes now.
I think the entries on your next challenge will be very different.

:LOL: A stilletto round the ear hurts!

Oh yes. It was right by Primark too. Plenty of ammo for 59p ;) 24-70 would have done a better job I think but I'm loving the 50mm right now.

Well,

I had originally requested 1, but glad that it was ignored, as we got to see a real sample of what we all thought was street. Now, correct meif I am wrong, but "quantity" has nothing to do with the results, not really. The judges will surely pick the ones they like, based on the photo contents.

Gary.

No one is disputing that. But, what do you mean that quantity has nothing to do with results?

No one is disputing that. But, what do you mean that quantity has nothing to do with results?

I mean, the number of photos I guess should not "dictate" what a judge determines to be his favourites.

Gary.

Well, no, that's obvious. But you're missing the point of my initial post. Forget it.

Take the shot and if the person looks at you funny move the camera from your face, look past the person, and look like your re framing the shot, all the while looking past them and aiming the camera just past them. it's important to never look at the person. Ignore them and be focused on what's behind them (even if it's a wall or a sky).

I quite like this suggestion. I never even thought of that before but I can totally see how it'd work and reassure people that you're not trying to snap them. Could come in handy, especially in Glasgow :puke:

I quite like this suggestion. I never even thought of that before but I can totally see how it'd work and reassure people that you're not trying to snap them. Could come in handy, especially in Glasgow :puke:

Thats what I do mate. In Edinburgh City Centre, I have a lot of "high landmarks". If I am shooting "towards them", if spotted, I act "annoyed", and try and shoot over or around my subject. Always throws them, without fail.

If you have no landmark, it can still work, but the day before yesterday, a big issue seller wanted to rip my head off after I snapped him.

Gary.

Thanks Garry for the opportunity and incentive to try out something for the first time, way out of my comfort zone :)

Thanks also to the judges and their comments, I've learnt so much from this exercise.

I was quite amazed how easy it bacame to stick a camera in some ones face, but though the ability to be brazen is necessary, I learnt that isn't the prime purpose of street photograhy :) It's a tad more subtle and complex than that.

A great read this.....thanks for organising EG (y)

Not sure where the 3rd judge is, but hopefully he will get back soon!!

After which I will create a thread for one member at a time to present their images again and we can discuss what we like, what we don't lilke and what we would have done different. If we do one member at a time, will ensure each one of us who took part will hopefully learn something. Lets wait on Judge #3 first!!

Gary.

Good judgement waiting for the final judge to judge his photos so we can then judge his judgings. Judgey.

Good judgement waiting for the final judge to judge his photos so we can then judge his judgings. Judgey.

:LOL:

I want a mac. Is the credit crunch and january sales gonna help?

I should have PM'd this.

OOPS.

Gary.

Subject: Response to Street Photography shoot
Attachments:
View As Web Page
Hello Gary,

Happy New Year. I hope you are well. Duncan says I should forward my response to the images to you after December 26 since he'd be in India, so here goes:

I’m an adherent to not intentionally intruding on the scene trying to get a response from my subject; (although getting the death glare from someone is cool). So if it seems that was done intentionally, I didn't comment on the image. I tend to look for a reaction or their interaction with someone or sometthing else and see how their environment affects them. That is how I viewed the almost 300 entries.

Note for the fearful: Please tell them “when you find you’re just shooting people’s backs, fear has gripped you and that means you have to come to grips with it. Stop. Stand on a corner. Take a breather and make up your mind that you came to shoot. Tell yourself that fear won’t stop you. Then pick up your camera and shoot someone’s foot; then a knee, then a hand and then a torso; keep shooting until you see a face. Enjoy the process. J”

Entry 4, 5, 87, 88, 109, 117, 145, 203, 209, 216, 217, 244, 278 I consider these more editorial pieces than street photography. They isolate the subject very nicely with the soft backgrounds and would make many stock and commercial companies houses extremely happy as they sell a product, a feeling, an attitude with just a look. Excellent examples.
18 and 19 Strong subway work; the perspectives are powerful and used very well; the walk away pulls me right into where they are going; the up close and personal shot puts me almost within their breathing space. Nice.
38 and 39 Kids always steal the show and these shots show them at their best—in action.
53 Elegant use of light and of showing the subject in her element; straight-on shot that works because of the play between the subject and her work and the play between light and shadow. Composed brilliantly. Excellent.
58 Interaction between the costumed characters and the children is well seen and shot.
67 Good attempt at looking for the interplay between the subject and the comment the environment is having on his position in it.
90 Love the immediacy and intimacy of this shot; you got right in on their conversation and the lighting of one guy pulls our focus right to where you want us to go.
94 Forlorn looks pulls at the heart; nicely seen.
119 and 120 I love the relationships shown here; their lines of vision are hypnotic; the b/w tones in these photos and vignetting are also excellently done.
124 Extremely well caught documentary; although at first comical, he is also a sign of the times and very disturbing as he pops out of the image. This close up version works exceptionally well as it brings all the right elements into the play: bustling people, the gawking kid and the raw street life.
126 and 128 Glass brings in multiple layers that are irresistible to most street photographers; they work well here. An occasional response as deadly as this looks, is welcome as well.
129, 131, 134, 163 The death glare—where would modern street photography be without it?
180 Great freeze action here.
206 Nice relationship and interplay.
The following images are pure street and whoever shot them was in the “zone”.
249 Absolutely stunning moment at the Coffee Lounge. She is in her moment and visually we can get enough of it; the camera loves her and so does the light and shadow; the POV is exciting and engaging.
254 Homeless guy and his best friends acknowledgement of you pulls us into this image when we would rather look away and go on with our business. Nice commentary.
256 A magical moment of fun in the midst of the hustle and bustle of everyday living; excellent take and b/w tones are pristine.
268 Apple Market has a grand look about it and all of the detail captured makes it a terrific study of people and their doings.
273 Excellent shot of the merry go round and subtle commentary on how life continues whether lived fast or slow. Outstanding use of slow shutter speed.
281 Street portrait that successfully includes the environment and the poignant emotions on hand of the subject. Very well done.

297 Excellent characters, interaction, life and spirit of what is happening in the streets; the reaction of the child on the right sets them off properly. Well done.
You gotta love this one; shot as though he were a person; his eyes just pull us into this little story of being carried away in the arms of his owner. Nicely seen.

I realize I commented on more than just a few. The ones I have put in bold are the ones that really stand on their own and are very impressive. The other comments I felt were necessary because I couldn’t just pass the by.

Joseph Wigfall.

Where is the list of numbered images? That would be helpful when reading that last chunk of feedback :D

Guys that reply is nuts. Not sure how we can insert all the images he commented on. I will work on it tomorrow, maybe add links.

Gary.

Back