refund for as lens advice * Update*

Name
Craig Thomas
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

Need some advice, I brought a lens from one of the second hand shops listed here on the forum, and when I received the lens and checked it over the condition do in no way match the description that was given to me over the phone. As a result I send it back the same day as there was a 7 day money back on the item. On contacting the shop and the person who actually sold me the lens to tell them that I was returning the lens I have received nothing but abuse, with all sorts of name calling and hanging up on me on the part of the sales assistant. I then tried to ask to speak to the manager to discuss the refund etc but the sales assistant in question always seems to be the one who picks up the phone and refuses to put me through to the manager. He states that he has explained all to his manager and he does not wish to speak to me either, which I find extremely hard to believe. All I want to know is when I can expect my refund! They received the lens back at there shop last Tuesday by RMSD and have told me that they have received it but as yet am still waiting for the refund. How long are you supposed to wait before you can expect to receive it I thought it would be a couple of days, but obviously not,

Cheers

Craig

Refunds seem to take a varied amont of time dependent on the store.
I know my refund from a well known interweb retailer took 8 days from when they said it was issued to being in my account.

check their t&C's they should be something about a response time for a refund.

perhaps worth mentioning you have sought advice on how to deal with this from a UK tog forum with over 10,000 members.:shrug: nothing like a good name with potential customers to help things along;)

perhaps worth mentioning you have sought advice on how to deal with this from a UK tog forum with over 10,000 members.:shrug: nothing like a good name with potential customers to help things along;)

Surely naming them would be the most appropriate thing to do to avoid any other members having similar issues in the future. As long as everything you are stating above is fact then I don't see any reason why you shouldn't just name them?

if he names and shames, then they may see this thread and challenge anything suggested here;)

assuming they arent already members, i would suggest sort the problem out then leave feedback in the feedback thread or 2nd hand suppliers thread

Hi pxl8,

Yes it was a visa debit card

Visa debit card have "chargeback" protection. Speak to your bank about this, but basically once the retailer has had the goods back for 30 days the bank will refund you and visa will grab the money back from the retailers bank (and fine them as well).

Of course it does mean you'll have to wait 30 days but at least you know you will get the money back (y)

Hi 33L

This is what is stated on there website

Buy by post with total confidence. If for any reason you are not entirely satisfied, return goods within 7 days for immediate refund. Postage both ways to be borne by customer.

The sales person i dealt with has told me that because i am such a bad customer that they have 28 days but it maybe there in a week depending when he gets around to it?

I have to say that the customer service of the guy in question i have never see before absolutely shocking, if i told you that he hung up on me 3 times as soon as a mentioned the words refund, he will just not let me speak at all just says what he wants and then hangs up, its quite unbelievable

Under the DSR they do have up to 28 days to refund although it should be as soon as reasonably possible rather than at the last minute as some retailers like to do.

Under the distance selling regs. the shop has 30 days to refund you.

Once you get your money back, please do name and shame the ****ers. If what you say is correct, there's absolutely no excuse for such disgraceful behaviour.

Under the DSR they do have up to 28 days to refund although it should be as soon as reasonably possible rather than at the last minute as some retailers like to do.

Yep but it actually states on there website return goods within 7 days for immediate refund.

perhaps email him with a screengrab from the website showing the immediate refund part and suggest he is breaking the contract you had. if the money is not returned in 2 days you will be seeking legal action as the company is not allowing any contact for reasonable discussion.:shrug:

dont know if it would work or enforcable

if they have a freephone number, just phone him every hour till he sorts it. im sure he will get fed up of the calls and hounding and sort the problem quicker

perhaps email him with a screengrab from the website showing the immediate refund part and suggest he is breaking the contract you had. if the money is not returned in 2 days you will be seeking legal action as the company is not allowing any contact for reasonable discussion.:shrug:

dont know if it would work or enforcable

i go and try that one now!

You may be covered under distance selling regulations this is where you are able to return item within a set period of time for any reason contact trading standards for further advice.

I would send an email quoting their immediate refund terms, and state that the problem you have had.
If it gets replied to by the same person who you are speaking to on the phone you will at least have something in writing and will be able to take it further - are there some other email addresses on the site that you could use to try and avoid that person?

Waste of time. They know that as long as they refund within 28 days they'll be fine. Threats of legal action will just waste your time as it would take more than 28 days for anything to happen. The madder you appear they more they'll enjoy making you wait.

what bout phoning from two different phones at once?? most businesses have more than one line, and chances are the idiot will answer one and someone else will answer the other.

Sorry to hear that mate. It really is shocking customer service. I hope you get it sorted soon. It may be that the manager is totally unaware of what has happened and that the salesperson is just being an a*se.

Completely shocking tale - hope it works out in the end.

>>The sales person i dealt with has told me that because i am such a bad customer that they have 28 days but it maybe there in a week depending when he gets around to it?

That is just amazing. Do the Ts &Cs have a clause defining a "bad customer" and conditions that attach to their dealings with such customers? I know the distance selling regulations don't!

S.

Give us the number - we can all spend the afternoon phoning them from work until they get really annoyed!! :D

Just one question Craig....

Why has the chappie on the phone got the hump? how did you approach the first call you made? you didn't say, imply or do anything to upset the apple cart before you got down to business did you?

Just asking out of curiosity really. I usually find making the shop feel bad is a much more effective way of getting results than going in all guns blazing - the latter approach gives them something to fight against "you are such a bad customer....".

B.

what bout phoning from two different phones at once?? most businesses have more than one line, and chances are the idiot will answer one and someone else will answer the other.

Good point, ring one with the landline and the other with your mobile. Act like someone interested in their products to keep him on the line until the manager picks up the other line. See if you can hear a second ringing in the background also, if not then maybe it rings directly into the managers office also?

Legal action is a waste of time unless you don't get the refund but that would be surprising. Very annoying I know but best to see this as another supplier you know not to use and perhaps it will make things better knowing that they won't last long in this climate when treating customers like that.

Just one question Craig....

Why has the chappie on the phone got the hump? how did you approach the first call you made? you didn't say, imply or do anything to upset the apple cart before you got down to business did you?

Just asking out of curiosity really. I usually find making the shop feel bad is a much more effective way of getting results than going in all guns blazing - the latter approach gives them something to fight against "you are such a bad customer....".

B.

I just don't know, When i Phoned to let him know that i had recieved the lens and that the description of the condition didn't match the lens that was sent, i was then going to clarify what i meant exactly but wasn't given the chance just completely lost it and hung up. i rang back a further 3 times within 2 minutes to try to explain the differences but was hung up on again. both times

Hi 33L

This is what is stated on there website

Buy by post with total confidence. If for any reason you are not entirely satisfied, return goods within 7 days for immediate refund. Postage both ways to be borne by customer.

Oooh, look what happens when you put that phrase in Google ;)

How can they say:

"We have chosen not to offer online ordering as we believe that personal contact offers the best service"

If they put the phone down when you ring them :shrug:

I just don't know, When i Phoned to let him know that i had recieved the lens and that the description of the condition didn't match the lens that was sent, i was then going to clarify what i meant exactly but wasn't given the chance just completely lost it and hung up. i rang back a further 3 times within 2 minutes to try to explain the differences but was hung up on again. both times

That is completely mad. Once you have the refund, name and shame (oh look Google does it for you). They need to get their minds right about customer service. Even "bad customers" are customers!

B.

Try sending a really polite email to the manager outlining your surprise and disappointment particularly as they had been recommended to you.Ask for hi comments and when you may realistically receive your refund.
Should be revealing.
Pete.

Ah. I went into that shop once, about a year and a half ago. Left without buying anything within 2 mins of walking in the door and swore I would never go there again, or ever send any business their way.

Call back, but tell them you are recording the call - and record it.

Also - get a friend to call in and ask for the manager as he wants to congratulate him on the store's excellent service. When manager comes on the line, tell him what's happened - but stay calm with it.

Is it too far for you to call into the store?

Back