Your most dangerous togging situation?

Edit My Images
Yes
I know similar threads have been on here before (i think, but can't find!) but was wondering what peoples most (intentionally/unintentionally) dangerous situations have been whilst out togging.

The idea came about from earlier today, I was on my bicycle going down a hill, with bessa-r in hand, trying to get a nice "motion blur" shot of everything, with my long shadow of me on my bike in sharp focus:LOL:

winding, focusing, setting shutter speed, light metering and apperturing, and framing all whilst riding VERY! quickly down a bumpy hill with people all around...... a recepie for disaster I know, but it worked out (I hope):D

I was also taking photos of the household cavalry barracks and stables by hyde park, with the big big signs saying "no photography, prosecution etc....):LOL: dangerous but not life threatening.

anyway, I know others on here have been in similar situations (someone lying by the side of a motorway 16inches from a lorry at 70mph.....)

just wondering what other peoples intentional bouts of stupidity include.

oh, and I know that I shouldn't! If i cross the fence to get a shot of the hungry lions, I know what to expect:LOL:

Kneeling about 1m from karts going at about 70MPH. Does that count?

Kneeling about 1m from karts going at about 70MPH. Does that count?

YEP:D

another one of mine- leaning over the side of a 200-300m cliff/mountain just to save a lens. -took some pics since i was there:LOL:

My fav...

Shooting night time rallying one night

I moved ever forwards into this sweeping right hand bend to get the shot - after a few good ones, my flash's batteries went dead

Returning to my wife for new ones I saw the very next car overshoot that corner and shoot straight over where I had been standing seconds before - I didn't go back !!!

DD

My fav...

Shooting night time rallying one night

I moved ever forwards into this sweeping right hand bend to get the shot - after a few good ones, my flash's batteries went dead

Returning to my wife for new ones I saw the very next car overshoot that corner and shoot straight over where I had been standing seconds before - I didn't go back !!!

DD

:eek::eek:eek:LOL:
glad to see your still here;)

Stood in the middle of the Kels Blackwater in central Ireland doing a shoot for a fly fishing magazine, my waders are leaking anyway and it's in the the worst flood of the year and I'm 40 yards from the bank while I try to get shots of my nutty mate catching brown trout. It deffo wasn't one of my brighter moments....

... do anything to get your shot! Not bloody likely these days!!

this Ferrari got a bit close at Oulton park hit the barrier were i was stood.i ran when it got close !

2s0yfqt.jpg

x58txc.jpg

23m4nly.jpg

Mine was out with the wife shopping and I was looking in a London camera exchange shop front and she was beside me and said look that looks like your camera there, I said yes it is the same model..... Can't be she said it was a lot cheaper then that one, errrr yes phew!! :LOL:

Standing directly in front of 2 tonnes of horse meat doing 15mph....hoping to God that it'd turn after it cleared the jump :p

Me and a friend both had our DSLR's on us in some dodgy abandoned area down the side of a warehouse taking some pics of graffiti and the warehouse.

We did not notice 3 three tall walking down eyeing up our equipment we quickly made a fast walk for it and they looked as if they were following us but we got away.

This has happened on another occasion some guy on a bike asked us what we were doing and rode a few metres away got on his phone next min we saw about 10 more people coming out of the tunnel obviously his friends coming towards us, So we legged it!

Was scary thought my camera was a gonner.

going down a red slope this year in avoriaz... camera in hand,... Seriously regretting not bringing a neck strap :LOL: so sketchy... every corner....was just like, dont break the camera... dont break the camera...

Getting out the house without the missus spotting me :D

Hanging off a rope 30 metres in the air shooting another abseiler, suspended only be friction. Not really that dangerous, but it was a rush!

being surrounded by a mob of angry mum's who had decided i was a paedophile at my nephews football match

Leaning out the open door of a helicopter as it banked over the top of the Gherkin in London...with just an airplane style lap belt (with masking tape over the release latch) holding me in my seat.

Some of you may remember the very earliest video cameras. Sony, B&W only, very large and very heavy. So much so that it had to be operated by two people when 'out and about'. One, the lucky one, carried the camera. The second had the heavy recorder and battery pack. The pair of you were connected by this umbilical.

Now imagine you have the recorder and battery pack. And a still camera (Pentax). You have to follow the idiot with the video camera. And your task is to video a large protest, knowing that most of the protesters aren't going to take kindly to having their photo taken never mind them being video'd.

.... and knowing you have to repeat the exercise in a few days time - if you survive.

Mine has to be hanging almost upside down over the pier with camera in one hand and other hand holding onto one of those big metal mooring posts while trying to get a shot of a Red breasted merganser that had flown underneath. :bonk:

Tommy.

Standing directly in front of 2 tonnes of horse meat doing 15mph....hoping to God that it'd turn after it cleared the jump :p

Blimey Phil, was it the elephant size showjumping class or were there four horses jumping the fence at the same time? :LOL:

Actually mine is similar. Standing behind the goal posts at a polo match with eight horses heading straight towards me at 35 mph. I learned very quickly that the best defence was to stand absolutely still! :eek:

I got cut off by the tide the other day while i was taking some phots in a cove. Looked around and the tides come in. Now being a bloke, there's no way i'm gonna phone the coast guard so scaling the vertical cliff it was! Half way up i stop to look around and see how far i've got and realise that there was a phot opportunity to be had. Now bearing in mind that the cliff is near vertical and i'm stood on a ledge leaning against the wall i realised that there were issues with getting my camera out of my bag. Well i adapted and overcame and everything was tip top until a bit of overbalancing sent me on route to the pointy rocks 50m below. So there i am camera in one hand, the other grasping on for dear life. For a moment i thought the camera was going to have to be ditched. Anyway i recovered, put the camera away, got to the top and gave myself a good talking to! I live to shoot another day :)

I got cut off by the tide the other day while i was taking some phots in a cove. Looked around and the tides come in. Now being a bloke, there's no way i'm gonna phone the coast guard so scaling the vertical cliff it was!

So Not calling the coastguard is akin to not asking for directions when lost but slightly more dangerous :nuts:

I've got three,All at motor sports,The first while photographing road racing(motorcycles) on a bend and a few bikes out of my view finder bumped off each other and kept going straight looked away from the camera as i heard abit of banging and just saw a bike driving towards me i jumped back but he managed to turn in time :p

Next at a rally i was on right hand side of the road after a left handed bend,I was crouched behind a small wall and a few of the rear wheel drive cars decided it would be funny to come sideways towards me,Nearest got within a foot of me quite scary

Last but not least at another rally i was on the right hand side of the road after a right handed bend which was very wide,Heard the the drivers were pushing it but took no notice,Then a few started drifting round the bend and loosing control i got wary of them but kept shooting

The this,A small RWD starlet came round took the bend well and then slid round came towards me doing 50 ish and this was the last pic i got before he clipped the ditch infront of me,He locked the steering the other way but it was a close call

3394640741_2fb21f00dd.jpg

I got attacked by a large-ish coyote (about the size of a small alsation) in the middle of nowhere, with nobody around to help. I fought it off without getting a scratch on me, and even managed to knock off a few (crappy) snaps in the process.

At a place called Devils Pit, which is a 4X4 off road centre, Health and safety hasnt reached there yet so you can walk around all over the place with 4X4's wizzing around. I stood at the top of this hill and this turbocharged 4X4 raced up the hill and leaped up into the air, Luckily I had a Viper jacket on so my dad grabbed the back and pulled me clear otherwise I wouldve been stuck to a 4x4's oversized wheels.

I got the shot though :p

Regards, James

Blimey Phil, was it the elephant size showjumping class or were there four horses jumping the fence at the same time? :LOL:

Actually mine is similar. Standing behind the goal posts at a polo match with eight horses heading straight towards me at 35 mph. I learned very quickly that the best defence was to stand absolutely still! :eek:

Well, I must admit, I didn't have my scales on me...it was merely a guestimate :p The rider I had in mind probably made up half of that figure though :eek:

Don't know if this counts. I was carrying a camera, but not using it, the first time I was shot at. Which was also my first time in a helicopter.

Don't know if this counts. I was carrying a camera, but not using it, the first time I was shot at. Which was also my first time in a helicopter.

I'm glad you added the helicopter bit on to that...it made the rest make sense! I think that counts though :eek:

Mine was shooting some drifting at Oulton Park before they put the new fance in and oyu could get right to the edge of the track. So I lay down on a bank, camera ready. Frist car comes through, clips the inside of the cornor then come RIGHT for me. I have never moved so fast in my life!!!!

THere is a few TPF members who will vouch for this and tell you how funny they found it!!!

I got attacked by a large-ish coyote (about the size of a small alsation) in the middle of nowhere, with nobody around to help. I fought it off without getting a scratch on me, and even managed to knock off a few (crappy) snaps in the process.

Definitely the best!

Who else can say they got attacked by a coyote and fought it off, nutter!

Leaning out the open door of a helicopter as it banked over the top of the Gherkin in London...with just an airplane style lap belt (with masking tape over the release latch) holding me in my seat.

Masking tape !!
That's a good tip as I will be doing a circuit of North Wales in May photographing power stations.

The last time I went up in an aircraft (a tiny cessna) taking some shots I had the pilot hitting my left leg. I was pushing against what I thought was the bulkhead to help me twist around in my seat. I had my foot firmly pressed against the rudder:nono:

Mine was out with the wife shopping and I was looking in a London camera exchange shop front and she was beside me and said look that looks like your camera there, I said yes it is the same model..... Can't be she said it was a lot cheaper then that one, errrr yes phew!! :LOL:

Getting out the house without the missus spotting me :D

Mine has to be taking a picture of my wife after she had just woken up

THESE are dangerous moments :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Photographing some demolition training. I worked out roughly where I should be safe, but somebody got the maths wrong (possibly me) big bang and I ended up going arse over elbow backwards with a tripod landing on top, luckly camera was fine. Not the first time I have been blown up but definatly the best view! Wayne

One of mine from a post a couple of years ago:

I was covering a showjumping final today and thought I'd try some new shots to complement my 'stock' equestrian images so I stuck my 10-20mm on and got in close to a fence. The first couple were okay and then this big bugger nearly took my head off, it might not look like it on here but the 10-20mm gets you really close. :wacky:

Went back to doing my usual shots after this. :D

_DSC0046.jpg

Now doing it using a remote. :D

Back