Your most dangerous togging situation?

Being on an apex at Drift Practise day at Santa Pod

2859239953_dbef9d86c6.jpg

The cars get bloody close and I'm often having to take a couple of steps back to avoid a car spinning out of control at 60-70 even 80mph sometimes. I've never been hit on the track yet but come very close.

The only time I've been hit was when my mate reversed into me by accident in the pits :LOL: it did bruise though!

Working in Dubai I was working at Etisalat (the telecoms company there) in the building opposite the Sheraton Hotel (where I was staying) which overlooked the Dubai Creek. So I went up onto the roof of the building and there I stepped up onto the small ledge which ran around the edge of the roof and held onto what was probably a radio antenna and took a photo of the hotel. The only thing stopping me from dropping 10 stories was a flimsy antenna.

Probably the most stupid thing I've done to be honest. Wife went spare when I showed her the photo.

Opening that new "£50.00" equipment parcel whenever they get delivered in front of the missus.

I had a Formula Renault head towards me sideways at high speed at Thruxton on Saturday, at a corner where cars have gone right over where I was stood. That was interesting!

Also had an F3 car hit a barrier at "some" miles per hour where I'd been standing a second previously. It spun a long way off, it's amazing how quick racing cars are when they're out of control!

I have had a fair few incidents when on breaks in the Lakes and Scotland.

One time whilst myself and my friend were boiling some water on a little gas stove for some soup, I asked him to check if the water was boiling yet.... he returned screaming "its more than bloody boiled, the whole thing is on fire" couldn't do a thing, gas bottle was on fire all over it and the switch to turn it off had melted away! We just legged it and left the car within 1.5 meters of it and waited for a bang. After 5-6 mins we were getting bored of waiting so decided to see what was happening and eventually put it out with all of our water for the week:bang:

Also nearly fell off the cliff photographing a rescue where a guy had fallen 30 odd ft off the cliff (I only had my 24-70 on me at the time)

DSC_10751.jpg

Photographing some demolition training. I worked out roughly where I should be safe, but somebody got the maths wrong (possibly me) big bang and I ended up going arse over elbow backwards with a tripod landing on top, luckly camera was fine. Not the first time I have been blown up but definatly the best view! Wayne

This one gets my vote :clap:

not much compared to some of you lot
but the other day i was taking some rolling shots of cars
and was in a convertable shooting behind
when the car i was in starting going a bit too fast and i almost lost my balance.. i wasnt wearing my seatbelt so i could turn around too...

On a convoy in downtown Basrah in 2005. Some of the photos can be found here

Mine was out with the wife shopping and I was looking in a London camera exchange shop front and she was beside me and said look that looks like your camera there, I said yes it is the same model..... Can't be she said it was a lot cheaper then that one, errrr yes phew!! :LOL:

:LOL: LMAO.

OK, you can tell us, we're all friends here - what did you really spend the rest of the money on :D?

Taking a 'candid shot' of the missus snoozing on the couch, you know, mouth open, hair all over...........

then she wakes up..:help:

erase erase erase :D

Don't know if this counts. I was carrying a camera, but not using it, the first time I was shot at. Which was also my first time in a helicopter.

What 'copter was it?

You at liberty to tell more?

:LOL::LOL:

some great stories on here (glad to see that your all still alive:D)

I agree with all the "not tellin' the missus" ones, although in my case its the parents! (was still doing a-levels when I bought most of my stuff:D!

quite hard explaining how exactly I got hold of a £500 hassleblad for £50 (it cost me £150 in reality, but thats tooo much lol)!

Sitting in a light aircraft with my legs dangling in space with the door removed.
I used to do that on a daily basis for several years.
We were flying at wave hight around large ships in the English channel on commission. When the Job was done we would shoot every thing in the channel on spec, for a further hour.

If there were no commissions, we would do an hours run morning and afternoon.

Before I joined the company as chief photographer. They had just lost two aircraft doing this, complete with pilots and photographers.

My life insurance bill was horrendous.

I suppose Helmand Province in 2006 with 3 Para and the Battles of Sangin and Mas-e-Qaleh...lots of small-arms fire and RPGs flying around...
At Mas-e-Qaleh I crossed about 200m of open ground, zig-zagging like fcuk in true infanteer-stylee in near 60C temps carrying all my kit...when I reached the section of troops I'd been trying to catch up with, they all looked at me like I was deranged: apparently I'd been under fire the whole way across and they'd been taking bets on how far I'd make it across before I was hit (and more importantly, which one of them would then have to risk his life to come and get me)...

One British soldier died that day from small-arms fire...

It didn't actually feel that dangerous though as I was too busy trying to breathe through my ass...

Climbing a 300ft chimney with my cameras over my shoulder to take an 'aerial' photo of an Army camp was the most dangerous situation that actually felt dangerous...in that I was poo-ing myself all the way up...I hate heights...(but love flying in helicopters with the doors open..wierd eh?)...

Mine has to be taking this one at Woburn with the window open.

It was shot a 55mm and that's the car wing mirror in the bottom of the shot. I took it to emphasize how close the thing was.

3367715906_8561cc4214.jpg

I'm sure she wasn't about to bite my face off, but you never know.

I suppose Helmand Province in 2006 with 3 Para and the Battles of Sangin and Mas-e-Qaleh...lots of small-arms fire and RPGs flying around...
At Mas-e-Qaleh I crossed about 200m of open ground, zig-zagging like fcuk in true infanteer-stylee in near 60C temps carrying all my kit...when I reached the section of troops I'd been trying to catch up with, they all looked at me like I was deranged: apparently I'd been under fire the whole way across and they'd been taking bets on how far I'd make it across before I was hit (and more importantly, which one of them would then have to risk his life to come and get me)...

One British soldier died that day from small-arms fire...

It didn't actually feel that dangerous though as I was too busy trying to breathe through my ass...

Climbing a 300ft chimney with my cameras over my shoulder to take an 'aerial' photo of an Army camp was the most dangerous situation that actually felt dangerous...in that I was poo-ing myself all the way up...I hate heights...(but love flying in helicopters with the doors open..wierd eh?)...

Is it just me that thinks I lead a very boring and uninteresting life after reading that!

:eek:!!

I could be a right a-hole and say that doesn't count as you wern't trying to take a photo/carrying a camera:D ... but I won't! well done congrats for the bravery!

:eek:!!

I could be a right a-hole and say that doesn't count as you wern't trying to take a photo/carrying a camera:D ... but I won't! well done congrats for the bravery!

Army Photographer: 2x D2x bodies - one with a 17-35, the other with a 70-200, and a bag of bits, plus 9mm pistol, ammo, 2 frag grenades, 1 smoke grenade, body-armour, helmet and about 15 litres of water, which lasted half as long as I wanted it to...lol

Army Photographer: 2x D2x bodies - one with a 17-35, the other with a 70-200, and a bag of bits, plus 9mm pistol, ammo, 2 frag grenades, 1 smoke grenade, body-armour, helmet and about 15 litres of water, which lasted half as long as I wanted it to...lol

oh rite!

I had no idea! thats alot of kit (was forced to carry stuff like that in the cadets!)

I see that what you hear in the news about the army being under/badly equipped is true...... They gave you nikon cameras:D:D

Sorry! thats my outburst of petty "fanboyism" for the year!

but either way, your the winner of this thread me thinks (if there ever was a competition:thinking:):D

lol...D3's by the time I go to Afghan in October, hopefully...

Canon's can't hack the desert - saw two EOS1D's go tits-up in Helmand on '06 - one's seals failed and it filled up with dust, the other one had all the LCDs go black and never come back...

Like I said nearly 60C in August there...Nikons may have had slightly lesser image quality, but at least they kept working...
...and with the D3, Nikon have taken the lead again...

Probably on Safari in the Kruger in SA.

Was sat in the passenger seat of the land rover, one of those one with no roof, and all the doors removed. Startled a group of antelope which dashed across in front of us and from nowhere a lioness leapt out and took one down.

Lioness sat down about 5 metres from the left side of the car, chomping through this gazelle, face now matted with blood. Then I caught it's eye and it did that thing domestic cats do before they attack the dog. Folded it's ears back, started flicking it's tail, and started snarling. Nothing between me and it but a handy step up into the passenger seat.

Driver just calmly said "ok I think we should back off a little"....as I was filling my pants, scared the hell out of me having a wild (****ed off) animal that close looking into my eyes.

I've had to walk through some stingy nettles to get to some shots before.

Wearing shorts. Separates the men from the boys.

Some great ones here guys, I feel quite embarrassed by mine. I went to Richmond Park very early one morning back in the tail end of last year. I walked round for a while, then walked down a grass verge alongside a road. To my right, a huge herd of deer, to my left, the road then a smaller herd. I stopped and was busy snapping various members of the herd on my rhs, when suddenly, something obviously spooked them and they ran....straight at me - all of them! :eek: I basically decided standing still was my best bet, they ran round me, several leaping to one side as they saw me. The funniest thing is I remember that as they thundered past, I looked over the top towards a woman stood further up the road looking back and even at that distance, I could see she looked more terrified than I was, and she was well away from them. :LOL: I think I must have breatheed out after they had all passed ;)

Mine has to be taking this one at Woburn with the window open.

It was shot a 55mm and that's the car wing mirror in the bottom of the shot. I took it to emphasize how close the thing was.

3367715906_8561cc4214.jpg

I'm sure she wasn't about to bite my face off, but you never know.

Lol you wouldnt have had a chance to roll back you windows if it decided to attack.

went too close to a baboon in the wild and it came at me...rushed past and took some folks sandwiches and sped off
also the time a tiger went in front of our jeep...an open jeep...snarled at us and then passed on
we were parked right on top of the cross path she was on..

Being caught up in a coup in Rabat, Morocco in July 1971. For days our landrover was stopped at every village - we had to pile out and show passports while they searched for rebels. Lifting the camera to my eye triggered the response of a rifle being aimed at me. I didn't get any pics! It was an adventure holiday!!

Mine has to be a petrol station fire.

I was walking past a petrol station on my way home when a white van went up in flames for some reason, I got my camera out and started shooting - when the police arrived they asked me to move back, on more than one occasion, but I still kept on shooting.

The local TV news used a couple of my images when they ran the story of the fire.

It was a warm one that's for sure :D

clubmans1-1.jpg

That shot uncropped at 15mm on 1.6 crop was hairy. also being in the middle of a drugs bust when shooting in a club, 30 armed cops after a tip-off, kept firing and someone asked for the strobe to be turned off....that'd be my flash!

Mine was: 'Mum, Dad, meet 70-200'

Luckily they didnt react like i thought they would! (They pay me an allowance as im at uni, so was kinda their money, and had a massive go when spent less money on a 17-55 2months earlier)

Back