Fantastic Cornwall

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
No
These were taken on what i would call dull evenings, so not bad results i think, i really do appreciate what a beautiful place cornwall is, proud to call it home.:)

3598628091_93c20107e2.jpg

3599435562_0f2e8680d5.jpg

3590265020_c9f8c6f8e8.jpg

3590276756_609ca55966.jpg

5. Please note this is not a hot pixel but is the moon! lol
3590280002_899bba09d4.jpg

well done and good set. I like all of them. Slightly bigger examples would be nice though.

Various spots around the coast of cornwall, Lands end, Prussia Cove, Cot valley cove just gotta get out there and explore!

3 comments from 100????????

Thanks to those who did comment, seems poor you dont get more comments here, perhaps we shouldn`t bother sharing anymore?

Last edited:
nice pics - down in Cornwall for a week in a fortnights time, any top tips for some great sunset pics - being on the East coast (Norfolk) struggle for some impressive sunsets around here...........

Staying west of Bodmin, about 10 miles or so from Eden project (I think)

Lynton

Lynton, I reckon you cant do wrong with the north coast if your at Bodmin, then Padstow isn`t far away and then either side of padstow you`ll have Mawgan Porth, Port Issac (where doc martin was filmed) and loads of other places. Any more info just pm me.

Was in Cornwall last week on hols stayed at Hayle but travelled around, your pictures are excellent by the way. :)

I was hoping to achieve something simialr but just couldn't get the chance :( Visited Lost Gardens of Heligan and Trebah Gardens and the Eden Project very noce places but best was Port Issac and some of the lanes getting there the scenery in stunning.

Well if anyone is coming to cornwall anytime and fancy going to some locations i`d be happy to meet up, only to happy to help.

Well if anyone is coming to cornwall anytime and fancy going to some locations i`d be happy to meet up, only to happy to help.

Great photos, just to say alot of people obviosuly view stuff who aren't members here and just browse and im pretty sure their views count so bare that in mind.

I did say *minor* :) I can't remember the last time I looked at a landscape photo posted on the forum that had absolutely ZERO room for improvement :D

1:
My favourite of the set, no real issues. Some of the rock details are lost in shadow, but it really is no biggy at all.

2: My 2nd fave, but its just a portrait version of the first. The landscape version is better balanced. The left hand side here needs more of the rocks imo.

3: I like it but I feel the bottom right rocky area feels awkward. It also feels like it has a really squint horizon.

4: Nothing wrong with it, just not as inspiring as the others. It's a lot of rocky foreground.

5: Again I'm not sure of the lump of foreground rocks work or not.

I'm no expert, and my comments are minor at the very worst. Easy to overlook things like that with the quality of the photos. I am just a fussy bugger, I think it's important to be extremely critical if you are striving to improve.

Gary.

Hi Phil
Well for what its worth photos like these asre what re-kindled my interest in photography.
Any chance of some data apertures shutter spped, filters etc or are they photoshopped?
Mark

3 comments from 100????????

Thanks to those who did comment, seems poor you dont get more comments here, perhaps we shouldn`t bother sharing anymore?

It's the thread title, draws people in, but maybe they don't feel qualified to comment constructively, or perhaps like me are just learning by looking at other peoples shots.

I did say *minor* :) I can't remember the last time I looked at a landscape photo posted on the forum that had absolutely ZERO room for improvement :D

1:
My favourite of the set, no real issues. Some of the rock details are lost in shadow, but it really is no biggy at all.

2: My 2nd fave, but its just a portrait version of the first. The landscape version is better balanced. The left hand side here needs more of the rocks imo.

3: I like it but I feel the bottom right rocky area feels awkward. It also feels like it has a really squint horizon.

4: Nothing wrong with it, just not as inspiring as the others. It's a lot of rocky foreground.

5: Again I'm not sure of the lump of foreground rocks work or not.

I'm no expert, and my comments are minor at the very worst. Easy to overlook things like that with the quality of the photos. I am just a fussy bugger, I think it's important to be extremely critical if you are striving to improve.

Gary.

Cheers Gary for the comments and i take on board what you say, thank you mate.

Hi Phil
Well for what its worth photos like these asre what re-kindled my interest in photography.
Any chance of some data apertures shutter spped, filters etc or are they photoshopped?
Mark

Generally shooting with a sigma 10-20mm, Aperture f16, ISO 100, Shooting in aperture mode with the shutter speed selected by camera, generally anything from 1sec to 15sec exposures, while using exposure compensation and reading the histogram, filters i mostly use the hitech 85mm using a 0.9 full nd and a 0.9 grad hard nd.

Using that setup for me works best and the results out of camera are pretty good, some photos i like to use a gentle tweak of curves, dodge and burn and some photos i run through photomatix using a pseudo hdr method.

Hope that helps you out. (y)

Cheers Gary for the comments and i take on board what you say, thank you mate.

Generally shooting with a sigma 10-20mm, Aperture f16, ISO 100, Shooting in aperture mode with the shutter speed selected by camera, generally anything from 1sec to 15sec exposures, while using exposure compensation and reading the histogram, filters i mostly use the hitech 85mm using a 0.9 full nd and a 0.9 grad hard nd.

Using that setup for me works best and the results out of camera are pretty good, some photos i like to use a gentle tweak of curves, dodge and burn and some photos i run through photomatix using a pseudo hdr method.

Hope that helps you out. (y)

Quick question RE the soft vs hard grad. Which would you choose and why? I only have a soft set (oooh er!) but I may invest in a hard set for the Highlands trip.

Gary.

i use the hard grad most of the time because i am shooting seascapes and the strong horizion, only time i would use the soft set would be if there is a tree or mountain etc etc in the shot that was rising past the horizion, for instance if i was taking pictures of some cityscapes then a hard grad would put a hard line across a building where as a soft would be a softer blend. Do you get me?

What filters are you using? i`m using the Hitech set and i bought 0.3, 0.6, 0.9 in the soft and hard and it cost £73. although 9 times out of 10 i`ll be using the 0.9 or 0.6.

Also note, in the shots above, although there is some cliffs above the horizon i still chose to use the hard set because it was pretty bright and i didnt mind darkening the tops of the cliffs off.

Last edited:
Great Set (y)
No1 is great.

i use the hard grad most of the time because i am shooting seascapes and the strong horizion, only time i would use the soft set would be if there is a tree or mountain etc etc in the shot that was rising past the horizion, for instance if i was taking pictures of some cityscapes then a hard grad would put a hard line across a building where as a soft would be a softer blend. Do you get me?

What filters are you using? i`m using the Hitech set and i bought 0.3, 0.6, 0.9 in the soft and hard and it cost £73. although 9 times out of 10 i`ll be using the 0.9 or 0.6.

Also note, in the shots above, although there is some cliffs above the horizon i still chose to use the hard set because it was pretty bright and i didnt mind darkening the tops of the cliffs off.

Using Lee filters. Gonna go get a hard set. Thanks for the tips!! :)

Gary.

Stunning scenery and very well captured Phil. It makes me want to visit the location for myself, which is always a good result from a photograph. The first shot in particular is fantastic. Great work.

They're lovely shots! Visiting Cornwall in July, and you've inspired me to try something new so thank you!

Brilliant images! The sort I would buy if I saw them being sold as prints/posters!

well done and good set. I like all of them. Slightly bigger examples would be nice though.

Great photos ...........luv Cornwall

I have the same problem posting my stuff via Flickr, their default sizes are either 500 or 1000. Don't know how to upload onto Flickr 800 long unless you have to resize them first before uploading, which is one more step in the process.

Does anyone know how to store photos in Flickr 800 pixels wide ?

Wow. Absolutely amazing.

I've never been to Cornwall, but these make me want to go right now ^^;

all of them nice for me! except the last one...the moon is a bit distracting...but i am no pro :) another fussy guy :D

Like them all, very very nice!! Cornwall has an amazing coastline!

A few from Bedruthen Steps.:):):) A very pretty coastline lots of steep steps down to the bottom
Pic 1
bedruthensteps1.jpg

Pic 2
bedruthensteps2.jpg

Pic3
bedruthensteps3.jpg

Pic 4
bedruthensteps4.jpg

Pic 5
bedruthensteps5.jpg

Pic 6
bedruthensteps6.jpg

These were taken in July 2010
Hope you like them :):):)

Last edited:
I really like the first two, I'm actually moving to Cornwall myself later this year and can't wait to get down there!

I like these very much Phil, especially 1, 2 and 4. 3 has a slightly uninteresting sky perhaps, and the (little) moon is a bit distracting in the last.

Don't get disillusioned if people don't comment. Often it may be because the photos are good, and there are no particular criticisms or comments. Anyway, all told, you have'nt done too badly. I suspect you've got more comments here than I have ever received in all my posts put together...:thinking:

Last edited:
Back