Freestyle/Park BMX photos, Unit 13 BMX Jam Belfast

Name
Neil Thompson
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello

Here is a few of my shots from the Unit 13 "Wind yer neck in" BMX Jam 06/06/09

Great event with some seriously talented riders in attendance.

First go at skatepark shooting since i've taken up photography, hoping to get back again (with my bike lol) and set up some better lighting scenarios. Had to improvise with 1 or 2 flashes and some duct-tape for most of these. Very difficult to concentrate on 1 shot. I ended up with a flash on the jump box and one on the spine so i didnt miss too much action!

##Edit: how do i post from Flickr? all im getting is red boxes
###Re-Edit, Sorted

Full set can be found here http://www.flickr.com/photos/thompo5015/sets/72157619312050261/

3603869529_58c6bf0f0c_o.jpg

_MG_2701.jpg

3604625958_3aef6371ed_o.jpg

_MG_2997.jpg

_MG_2759.jpg

_MG_2832.jpg

3603872095_0b586dd514_o.jpg

_MG_2727.jpg

_MG_2625.jpg

3604613016_b2073c1f30_o.jpg

Any c&c or advice on improved lighting setups would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Neil

Last edited:
Was shooting mostly at ISO 500, f7.1 ish and shutter 1/60-1/200 (apart from the very low shutter for the flatland guy) with either a Sigma 10-20 or 24-70.

Had 2 550ex's running 1/16 upto 1/4 (to keep decent re-cycle times) tried to have 1 at camera left and camera right to produce some fill and a degree of rim light.
But towards the end i had 2 separate shots using a flash each. Uplighting on the jump box and side lighting on the Spine.

Hi Mate,

Just thought I would say I like a few of these and I agree, you need to sort the lighting. I am a complete lighting novice so will leave the advice for others to dish out.

Gary.

I'm in the same boat as Gary. I would find it difficult just to not have them all blurred.

I would say for starters that the backgrounds are way too distracting and fussy - you'd need to up the shutter speed (if possible) to kill the ambient more, therefore darkening/removing the fussy backgrounds. Maybe snoot the lights also to keep the light localised and therefore light less of the background. Also try to keep backgrounds as far away as possible to focus on the rider, but I know that's not always possible in these places.

I don't know how you were doing it, but get someone to stand/pose at the spot that you're going to be shooting and pre-focus, then sort out your lighting next - get the key light sorted, then sort out the rim light - then just a case of hitting the shutter at hopefully the right time.

Last edited:
really like no 7. have you added vignetting to it? Or was it shot like that?

Not too keen on having the flash in the pictures though, just my personal preference though.

Good set though, some good angles.

Dave

Back