Little Cute Cousins. ORIGINALS ADDED- feel free to play :)

Name
Melissa
Edit My Images
Yes
I got a lot to learn about this ol' portrait stuff, but I am having fun with it. Hope you can help me out with some crit :)

1. Joel.
BangorFunfair.jpg

2. Joel 2, another cute moment.
BangorFunfair2.jpg

3. A fun one of his bro, Topaz'd a bit... yey or ney?
BangorFunfair3.jpg

So say what must be said! I'm not sure if the cutting of parts of Joel's face thing works!

I think one and 2 are good in terms of the emotion, the natural poses, and I think as a result, a lot of the "rules" can be forgotten about.

3 on the other hand, looks like you fell down the stairs and landed on the clarity slider. It's not nice PP I feel. Similar to what I did with my EDI Festival shots, but still a little different too. Not sure if I am a fan.

Gary.

In the first two the and especially the first, I 'd like more room around the eye which is close to the picture edge. I like the PP though.

"looks like you fell down the stairs and landed on the clarity slider" Quote of the week! :LOL:

Personally I don't mind the cropping, the only thing that hit me first was that the eyes are completely different in both so not sure if that works as a set, but individually they would be fine :clap:

I like the composition but the processing appears to have spoiled them.

I don't know enough to know what, specifically, has been done but i don't think it works.

NO1 could be very good. Is it possible to see the originals?

Thanks for your unput. I'm seeing why you don't like the processing of the 3rd one so much, having seeing it new again this morning I think I defo went overboard! (and lmao at Gary's quote!)

leon, actually i was thinking that too! His eyes are more like that in the 2nd one, so if I were to give the prints to his parents they might be like.. uh, that's not Joel's eyes!

Here's another from that set, using the same kind of processing as the first two. Not sure if it's anything special though.
FunfairBangorJune09-1-20.jpg

Boynielaad, aye I'll stick in the originals and if any wants they can demonstrate why kind of processing they think would work well :)

Last edited:
Thanks for your unput. I'm seeing why you don't like the processing of the 3rd one so much, having seeing it new again this morning I think I defo went overboard! (and lmao at Gary's quote!)

leon, actually i was thinking that too! His eyes are more like that in the 2nd one, so if I were to give the prints to his parents they might be like.. uh, that's not Joel's eyes!

Here's another from that set, using the same kind of processing as the first two. Not sure if it's anything special though.
FunfairBangorJune09-1-20.jpg

Boynielaad, aye I'll stick in the originals and if any wants they can demonstrate why kind of processing they think would work well :)

The addition is lovely :)

Gary.

Here's the originals if anyone wants to play around with them and show me what processing they think might work :)

JoelOriginals2.jpg

JoelOriginals.jpg

Your in very good company with the tight crops, it was a method that David Bailey pioneered in his 'Box of Pinups' in 1965. It's said that he used these crops to give the portraits more intimacy and is a method he still uses to this day. Have a google and you'll see that there are some really iconic photos in that set, some of which you'll have undoubtedly seen before (y)

I was a little bored so I had a go at a slightly different edit....What do you think???

1. B&W
3638295951_402a772208_o.jpg

2. High contrast stylee
3639106332_c84638c5dc.jpg

Onform, I like your edits! I think the crop (lukewoodford also suggested a square crop!) works well, I especially like the b&w but the eyes look cool in the 2nd one, thanks for taking the time to do that :)

Onform, I like your edits! I think the crop (lukewoodford also suggested a square crop!) works well, I especially like the b&w but the eyes look cool in the 2nd one, thanks for taking the time to do that :)

No worries, It only worked because the photo was good in the first place.

Black and white is always good if you are having problems with the white balance it has saved quite a few of my shots...;)

Onform. I like the B&W edit.

It's clear, following what you did to my daughter (!) that I should forward future portraits straight to you for editing. :LOL:

Thanks But I have such little time to do my own stuff...:LOL: It just so happened I had the afternoon off and the weather was crap...lol

the originals are great, the edits are not as good as the originals imo, they look jaundice in comparison lol.
onforms edits are spot on imo.

No worries, It only worked because the photo was good in the first place.

Black and white is always good if you are having problems with the white balance it has saved quite a few of my shots...;)

A very good solution! I think I might send his parents a b&w version now :)

Out of interest though, how did you the colour one? I really like the eyes, whenever I saturated the eyes they turned out more of a green colour, but in reality they're blue, more like your edit!

Back