Macro Photography... What Results Should I Expect?

InaGlo

TPer Emerita
Name
Glo
Edit My Images
Yes
I have the Canon 100mm 2.8 macro and have really underused it with my 5D.
Ive seen some superb shots of critters on here, often with really fantastic detail & Ive felt I just havent got the same from my attempts.

Is it due to my lack of skill/practice? or am I expecting too much fromm the lens?
Do I need to buy some t.c's to get me in closer?
Does anyone have any critter pics taken with this lens & full frame as a comparrisson for me?

I feel the same way about my macro lens a lot of the time! I borrowed Johns 100mm canon macro while he was in India but never got round to using it. I did do some test shots though to compare it to the Sigma and I think the canon had the edge for quality but it was really marginal. Having confirmed I can't blame the lens it can only be technique.

Finding the sweet spot in terms of aperture to use (around f8 to f13) for best sharpness helped improve my shots but I find the manual focus difficult to do quick enough and near impossible with the camera hand held.

Think I've been trying to get too close so I'm going to try starting this bug hunting season from a bit further away.

Not a great deal of experience with Maro 'tography. Tho I do own the sigma 105.
My problem is that I take far too long to get the thing setup. Tripod,... distance, aperture,... the poor little beastie has usually departed the mortal coil from sheer boredom before I'm ready.. or just b***rd off.

NB: I think you mean extension tubes not TC's

I have the Canon 100mm 2.8 macro and have really underused it with my 5D.
Ive seen some superb shots of critters on here, often with really fantastic detail & Ive felt I just havent got the same from my attempts.

Is it due to my lack of skill/practice? or am I expecting too much fromm the lens?
Do I need to buy some t.c's to get me in closer?
Does anyone have any critter pics taken with this lens & full frame as a comparrisson for me?

The skill is getting further away, using a small aperture and a tripod. Its a skill that requires practice and can be VERY frustrating. Practice on inanimate object for dof experience and always remember the eyes....... I love my macro - i'm no good yet but i hope to be :)

Ahhh! thanks for that Robert ... I also struggled with manual focus hand held.
I still dont have a tripod but it is next on the list, looks like Ill have to make it a priority with bug season about to kick off.
Might have another play this aftie if the sun keeps shining!

Edit: Thanks Johnny, I will try pulling further back but for the moment, Ill have to just struggle on without a tripod.
Its also very windy here, so I dont expect Ill be inundating the site with my efforts from today!

Tripod is mandatory! As you are "going large" every little shake is maginified.

And focusing is often best done by going to your closest possible then actually moving the camera in and out instead of focusing. HTH

I pretty much agree with Jonny, about the tripod , although some will argue otherwise no doubt, but the ability to hand hold and manual focus at these distances will vary enormously from one person to another.

For me, it's tripod, AF in servo mode with 1 AF point selected. The tripod gives the steadiness to keep that AF point where you need it - on the head usually with insects.

Macro is frustratingly difficult and a typical shoot for me usually means around ten shots going in the bin for every good one I get - more some days. Working outside the slightest breeze moving foliage can make the job more difficult.

Don't give up - it's bloody difficult anyway! ;)

:agree: ... sweet spot + focus = great macro shot ... but only if it all comes together ... :shrug:

Practising on stuff that will not fly away is good advice from JR ... (y)

On live stuff the further away you can be the less chance of distrubing it on making it move ... :shrug: ... slightest movement will change focus point dramatically and make or break the shot Glo ... :D

Don't give up ... you are probably expecting too much from your early forays but when it does all come together ... WOWSA ... and you will be hooked ... ;)

Why not post some results so we can see how you are doing ... :thinking: ... someone here will then offer constructive pointers on how to improve perhaps ... :shrug:

:p

Ahhh! thanks for the tips peeps, Ill keep them in mind when I get my coat on later.
Hmm! looks like Ill have to spend some time reading about legs, heads, tilting, & balls now :eek:

Ill post some pics up later Ven, I took a couple the other day of a ladybird on a Grape Hyacinth for the 2 weekly challenge (spring).
I didnt post because I think my aperture was too wide, & the pic wasnt as sharp as Id like. I also felt to get the look I wanted, I had to crop the pic to buggery!

Paul, youre right... I do mean extension tubes :bonk: ... something else I havent really looked into.
Never mind, I didnt really want to spend money on new stair carpet ... I hear the 70's are back anyway! :D

When I first got my macro lens (the same one as yours) I was obsessed with getting in close and never really got a good shot, once I stepped back a bit things improved for me. In fact I prefer shots like the one below as it show the bee in action, as opposed to the very close-in (high magnification) shots where you can see ever single hair in the minutest of detail, those shots to me seem to clinical and I always associate them with technical journals etc.

Bee-on-flower.jpg

This was AF, handheld with the EF 100 F2.8, 1/800 F5.6 ISO 800 on a 350D with a slight crop to remove some space on the right, it's not brilliant but shows what you can get while just wandering around.

Thanks Andy,
Thats a lovely shot and I too like to see them like that... I just cant get away from the fact that I'd also liketo take a pic of a fly with those huge eyes as the main focus.
I guess I def need extension tubes for that though... as well as much more practice!

I usually do that later on at night!! :D:D:D

PMSL!
Now just why was it that I had you in mind when I wrote that Janice :LOL:

Ill post some pics up later Ven, I took a couple the other day of a ladybird on a Grape Hyacinth for the 2 weekly challenge (spring).
... I hear the 70's are back anyway! :D

Ooops ... :embarrassed: ... sorry about the fau pas Glo ... and thanx ... ;)

I've never used a tripod for any of my macro shots but I know a lot of people here swear by them. If it's bugs you're shooting then 1/200 will usually be necessary to stop any motion blur, and it also has the advantage (especially with a 90mm lens like mine) of making sure camera shake isn't a problem too.

The other disadvantage of tripods is that if you're tracking something across a flower and it sudden disappears underneath that petal it was walking along then repositioning will take time. If you're hand holding then you can usually be there straight away :)

As ever with these things though it's personal preference. Try both and see which one gives you the results you want!

If you don't want to be shooting at F2.8 then you need a dedicated flash (preferably with a diffuser). Leave the flash on auto settings and switch the camera to Manual. Dial in ISO100, 1/200 and F8 (to start with) and the flash will give you the light you need.

Once you've found a subject pick your focal point and make sure you're in servo mode. Start from a distance and focus on the subject and then gradually move yourself in and around to get the composition you want. A lot of bugs will fly off if you go in close straight away. Can't blame them really :shrug:

It goes without saying that you're aiming to get the eyes in focus and this can take a few shots to get it right. Try and brace your arms and squeeze the shutter slowly to avoid moving the camera too much when you take the shot. It's hard to get this last bit right but with a few attempts it should pay off.

I've had my macro lens about a year now and it's definitely the area of photography I enjoy the most. Hope this helps :)

Some of my macro shots here

I started with the flash but prefer the look of natural light. Flash does make things a lot easier (but still not easy).

Thanks for sharing your macro's Richard, some stunning stuff there! (y)
Regarding flash, have I read somewhere that Ringflash is often used or am I getting mixed up with something else?

Ringflash is often used or am I getting mixed up with something else?

I think you'll find that's something Marcel has been up to :D :LOL: :D :LOL:

Hey Glo, a tripod is not essential, the majority of my macro shots have been taken without one but I do tend to use flash depending on what light is available. If you have a look at my website you'll see a lot of my images there. Have you read this guide I wrote last year as it might give you some pointers.

Let me know if I can be any more help.

Regarding flash, have I read somewhere that Ringflash is often used or am I getting mixed up with something else?

Just to answer your question Glo ... yes Ringflash used to be the recognised light source for Macro photography where ambient light was inadequate ... ;)

Now though there are alternatives ... including Colin's velcro method that seemed to work just fine and the new multi flash units mounted on the front of the lens illustrated here ... Nikon S1 Flash ... other manufacturers will have something similar I'm sure ... :D

HTH ... :shrug:

Colin, Ive just read through your guide, certainly some food for thought there as well as some fabulous pics (y)
I dont know how I'd forgotten the pics with the reflected oranges in the tap drip, it was a favourite, so I might have to try something similar!

Well no doubt I'll be posting my mishaps & mumblings, so I'll probably be picking your brains along the way.

Thanks again for all the input peeps. (y)

I kinda like shooting macro Glo but found this subject to be the hardest form of photography by far.. Patients is a must with 90% of your shots going in the recycle bin..:(
Others have quoted not using a tripod, I use one all the time and have not had any success without the tripod, Its your choice on how steady your hands are...;)
The Canon 100mm macro is among the sharpest lenses canon make so you have the tools, just take time and it will come together in time..:)

One of my better efforts..:)

red-eyes.jpg

I've never used a tripod for any of my macro shots but I know a lot of people here swear by them.
Try and brace your arms and squeeze the shutter slowly to avoid moving the camera too much when you take the shot. It's hard to get this last bit right but with a few attempts it should pay off./QUOTE]

To add to the above, I always take a breath in and hold it prior to pressing the shutter as breathing can alter the focussing. :eek: .......I am sure that last comment will provoke a clever response (I know what I mean). I have the Sigma and love it - however, I made the mistake in thinking you had to get in as close as the lens was capable of. Not the case. Step back a bit and recompose. Good Luck and don't give up. :D
Gillian

Back