TPer Emeritus
Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
RobertP submitted a new resource:

Beginners guide to RAW - Beginners guide to RAW

What is raw anyway?

Raw is easiest to understand if you compare it to the negative from a film camera. You know it has the image the camera recorded but it is not much use for showing to people.

A chip inside the camera can turn that raw data into a jpeg that you can view easily. Having done that it throws away the 'negative'. The chip will use any settings (picture style) you set the camera to when deciding how much sharpness and contrast etc. to apply.

Alternatively you can...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never understood this thing about exposure and RAW. Surely if the sensor was overloaded and clipped at the point when the picture was taken, all detail above peak white is lost. Saving the image as a jpeg or raw will make no difference.

I've never understood this thing about exposure and RAW. Surely if the sensor was overloaded and clipped at the point when the picture was taken, all detail above peak white is lost. Saving the image as a jpeg or raw will make no difference.

hmm maybe that does need more explaining.

It's to do with jpeg throwing stuff away. There is a point where the sensor is 'overloaded' but it is a fair bit brighter than the limit used by the camera jpeg. So in raw there is more bright information in there and it can be recovered and in the camera jpeg it has been lost.

does that make sense :)

Looks great. I would only add that the highlights recovery and resolution is largely dependent on RAW converter. Two of the best (and slowest) converters on the market (RPP and RawMagick) will do a significantly better job recovering blown highlights and demosaicing tiny details (mainly because they use floating point operations - hence partially the reason they are slow). Don't think this is that important but may be mentioned in case people are interested.

It's to do with jpeg throwing stuff away. There is a point where the sensor is 'overloaded' but it is a fair bit brighter than the limit used by the camera jpeg. So in raw there is more bright information in there and it can be recovered and in the camera jpeg it has been lost.

I think the problem is that your raw data might be unclipped in the RGB channels but once it has been converted to JPEG in camera there are irreversible adjustments made that might cause clipping to take place. These processes include....

- converting to a colour space;
- applying a tone curve;
- increasing contrast, saturation and sharpening;
- applying picture styles that "do funny things";
- applying a white balance correction.

When the camera first takes a picture it has the raw data to begin with. Then it does all that stuff to the raw data which can cause clipping, and then it throws loads of detail away in reduction to 8 bit files and JPEG compression. The raw data then gets discarded by the camera, and you are left fudged, with possibly blown highlights and limited scope to make adjustments.

If you shoot to raw then you can freely make many adjustments to the data before conversion to the final JPEG, thus making sure that nothing you do forces any pixels into clipping (if they weren't clipped at the time of capture). Even if there was some clipping in one or two channels, good raw software can make an educated guess about what the data might have looked like, if it only has to "mend" one channel, or perhaps two. You also have a lot more data to play with, giving finer tonal gradation and less risk of posterisation when pulling and pushing data. JPEG is fine if you can shoot perfectly in camera, but if you want to retain freedom to fix up some problems, or simply squeeze the maximum IQ from your camera, raw is the way to go.

Shooting raw is not about "taking photographs". It is about "capturing data". The idea is to capture as much data as possible, which means applying a different approach to setting exposures, specifically exposing to the right. You will make the photograph later, in your own good time, and not accept whatever conversion the camera spews out based on the settings you had at the time. If you prefer, shooting to JPEG is like having a baked cake. You can't unbake it. Shooting raw is like assemblling all the ingredients from which to make the cake. You then do the baking later on. If you don't like the results you can go back to the ingredients and try again.

Thanks Tim, great stuff :)

Very detailed explanation of something I referred to in passing. I was hoping some of the more technical members might get involved.

Think I'll delete a few discussion posts out of this thread to tidy it up then move it to tutorials as is.

Edit. Thread copied and most posts made during the writing stage removed.

Its also to do with dynamic range. The RAW file has a large dynamic range whereas JPEGS are lossy so they throw data away, as you mentioned, losing some of that range.

Even though a lot of the above has completely baffled me as I'm totally new to DSLR photography, and still shopping for my first camera. I at least now know (roughly!) what RAW is, so thank you for the thread. :)

Lee

Last edited:
Good guide this.. Will i achieve anything above lightroom if i was to say use ps elements

Cheers for this. It had been really helpful! Never really understood the difference between the two.

But I do have one question. Am new to dslr's and have just started getting in to photography properly. And was wondering would I be better starting to learn to shoot in RAW or just to shoot in Jpeg just now till I get better and then think about shooting RAW?

Thanks

i've seen on my mates camera that he has a Raw, and Raw+Jpeg(on the 500D) does this mean it just simply saves the raw file, and the jpeg as well?

Brilliant ! Thank you so much for the explanation, so jpeg is the old fashioned photo processing results with colour casts etc and raw is your own personal darkroom working from negatives so to speak even though they can both be edited the raw file holds more info so stretches the parameters of available adjustment, or have I got it completely wrong ? :)

I am still new to photography (since January this year), and was completely baffled by RAW. This has really helped me understand a little bit more.

I've been reading thru this & it's amazingly helpful to someone like me, whose new to working with RAW. I was just wondering, how do you work with the files? I've only recently downloaded the Camera RAW plug-in for Photoshop after my Macbook couldn't read the file formats. Do they open up in Photoshop/Lightroom as a photograph? Does anyone have any experience working with this? I think I might spend the day tmrw experimenting with it all! Thanks.

Back