Question for Talk Sport Members

Does anyone know of any official anouncement by Canon regarding the withdrawn support of non IS lenses?

I would find that hard to believe as its not only sports togs that dont require IS ... would be amazed if its true but nothing suprises me much nowerdays :)

I've several stories regarding this but cant find any official statement from Canon....no suprises there! I understand it aplies only to those lenses were there is an IS alternative. I've also just had experience of of my 28-70Lf2.8 which is now not supported as parts nolonger available.

Graham

The last time I had my 400 2.8 mark 2 (non is) cleaned and calibrated at Canon Elstree a few months ago I was told that they were not being supported or spares available any more. Hav'nt seen anything official though.

I've previiously had the same issue with a 200mm 1.8 a couple of years ago due to the auto focus motor failure.

Its now an expensive door stop ..........

Mal

Slightly off topic, what is the point of IS on a huge lens if you need to put it on a tripod/monopod anyway?

These are the stories I'm hearing just cannot find any official statement from Canon hence the post. Just wondering if anyone had come across a statement or release from Canon.

Slightly off topic, what is the point of IS on a huge lens if you need to put it on a tripod/monopod anyway?

Sports shooters dont really use it anyway but I suppose there are some photographers that do. All the newer lenses have it anyway so no real choice.

Sports shooters dont really use it anyway but I suppose there are some photographers that do. All the newer lenses have it anyway so no real choice.

I know some cricket togs who always use IS ..not me..

I use it even if on monopod when shooting into a dark area of the ground (I mean into the stands or directors box etc not pitch) and my shutter speed has dropped to 400 or less..

Well I did say I suppose there are some that do but personally I've never used it for sports unless for slower moving or trying to get some sort of movement into the shot. Motorport is a good example for this. Thinking on I guess maybe bird photographers (feathered type) may also use it on longer lenses?

Well I did say I suppose there are some that do but personally?

I was kinda agreeing with you.. I rarely ever use it myself.. :)

Just had this reply from Canon:

Generally when a lens is updated with an IS version, the demand for the non IS version drops and therefore the non IS versions are generally discontinued. From the date of discontinuation we keep producing spares for between 7-10 years. When this date approaches we will order as many parts as possible for the future, however when these run out it will not be possible to repair the lens should a problem occur.

Further email from Canon:

"Graham,

Indeed, I know the 28-70 has been one of the most unfortunate cases as it was a popular choice before the release of the 24-70. I guess it is the case for models which have been superseded in some way. However there are lenses which have been on the market for 20 years plus which show no signs of being discontinued, never mind the extra 7-10 years parts retention period."

From that there may be some hope for some lens yet. But its fair to say for those who have a pre-IS or an newer version has been released of your lens (as in the 28-70) then its support days are limited

Back