Namistai's 52 for 2011 - Week 5 'Hard' added

Name
Nik
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I promised myself that I would take part and complete a 52 this year - I want to give me a project that's more intensive than I've done before, but definitely not a 365..... that would kill me! :)

I've fallen behind at the very first hurdle due to illness, but I'm now ready to bounce back! So I'll post images for the first three weeks in fairly quick succession :)

I would welcome all constructive criticism, and I don't mind if you're a bit harsh at times. I want to learn from this project, so would welcome honest critique that helps me to learn.

Right, let's get started......

Cheers,
Nik

Last edited:
I thought long and hard over to what to shoot for this theme (I often do if I'm honest). I figured that this theme either needed something very simple but extremely well executed, or something a little different - something unique.

I went for the latter. Let's hope I achieved that!

Let me introduce, Lego!

C+C welcomed :)

Last edited:
well i guess the 8 mins were worth the wait lol especially if u had to build that lol

nice shot

actually i think that is not a nice shot , its a bl**dy briliant one, the more i look at it the more i like it

absolutly excellent idea

well done

matty198111 said:
actually i think that is not a nice shot , its a bl**dy briliant one, the more i look at it the more i like it

absolutly excellent idea

well done

Thanks very much, for me it was as much about the concept as it was the execution, which is far from flawless. It's a surprisingly difficult thing to capture well in context, due to the scale! But it won't be the last time I shoot Lego, I have some spin off ideas from this! :)

Right, well in my bid to catch up I am intending to put up the previous week's photos in fairly quick succession.

I didn't know quite what to do for this theme, but came up with a few ideas and took a number of different images. I eventually settled on this one, with the concept of this being 'new' architecture. Not the most inspiring conceptual interpretation of the theme, but I felt the execution of this one worked quite well (in my opinion) and I personally liked the way the processing brought the image to life.

So here it is, my photo for Week 2 - 'New'.

Last edited:
Hi Nik

must confess to not being keen on building shots but love the reflections in the glass & the colors in this one .Like the angle as well (y)
Really small nit picky thing is my eye's get drawn to the spots in the lower windows...a reflection of the building opposite or somoething inside the building ?

Tis still a million time better than anything I could have taken of it though
Great 1st shots for the challenge (y)

Thanks Lynne :)

I know what you mean about the spots - they're due to laminated glass and use of a circular polariser. I have some other shots where some rows of the glass look like a different material - again due to rotation of the CP to a different position polarising the light differently. The effect has helped with some other photos I've taken, but was distracting on this one.

I'm thinking now that I should have taken the same shot without the CP to test the difference! Lesson learned, I'll try that next time which should help with my 'real world' understanding of CP use :)

Cheers,
Nik

Still catching up, so a fast pace of images this week! I've taken these in previous weeks and built them up ready - but didn't want to post them as I set up a date a few days later to shoot the theme for week 1. I wanted to keep them chronological :)

I was pleased that, with this theme, I ended up with a selection of shots that I liked (doesn't normally happen!). So I had the choice of three or four shots that I liked. I had more abstract idea in mind, but decided to go for something which is a little easier to interpret. Maybe I'll post the other idea, but lets see how this one goes down first ;)

I introduce to you, 'Style'!

Last edited:
Hi Nik, well done with catching up, and you have done very well indeed, I like everything about your week 1, week 2, not my favourite type of building but like your photo, and those excellent reflections make it. Week 3 is a good image, i think a little wider to incorporate all of the cars head light would be better imo.

Hi Nik, well done with catching up, and you have done very well indeed, I like everything about your week 1, week 2, not my favourite type of building but like your photo, and those excellent reflections make it. Week 3 is a good image, i think a little wider to incorporate all of the cars head light would be better imo.

Thanks :) It's good to be getting nearly back on course! Just one more image to be back on track, and then a new theme quickly follows. Well, the intention is to complete the journey in that order (;)) otherwise I'll be two weeks behind again! :thinking: Oh, and I have a competition entry to think about, for something 'extra curricular' to the 52 :p

You're right about the wider angle, I hadn't thought too much about that if I'm honest. I had focused my view of the image more towards the crease on the bonnet, and not even spotted this fault! :shake: I might see what other shots I got that are of a similar composition :)

That's useful food for thought, thanks :)

Not sure about the rain on it, it looks odd on the light; more like condensation in the lamp.
Angle is good and the simplicity of the shot works.

I like the lego and the reflections in #2. I may have been tempted to just shoot the reflections.

Thanks for the feedback :)

Re the rain - I actually liked the rain on the original shot, it worked for me in it's raw form - but where I think I've perhaps got it wrong is in the processing. I guess I'm questioning whether the style of the processing doesn't match the raw image. Something else I need to think more about perhaps!

Good idea about the reflections too - again, I'd overlooked that opportunity. That could provide nice use of a 50mm :)

Firstly, well done, you're catching up fast! :) Only one more to go!

I absolutely love the week 1 image (and not just because i love lego!) - i was looking at it for ages, in fact i couldn't stop looking at it! The composition of the shot is spot on and the lighting, colours and DOF are just right (y)

I agree that the reflections make the image in week two, which has been nicely shot.

I personally really struggled with my style picture for week 3 and its been great seeing everyone elses take on the theme. I like the rain on the bonnet because as it makes the shot more interesting but i think i'd like to see a little more of the front of the car too. Its a nice shot but i think more 'oomph' (i think i'm just trying to say impact!) is needed which may be achieved by seeing more of the car :)

Firstly, well done, you're catching up fast! :) Only one more to go!

I absolutely love the week 1 image (and not just because i love lego!) - i was looking at it for ages, in fact i couldn't stop looking at it! The composition of the shot is spot on and the lighting, colours and DOF are just right (y)

I agree that the reflections make the image in week two, which has been nicely shot.

I personally really struggled with my style picture for week 3 and its been great seeing everyone elses take on the theme. I like the rain on the bonnet because as it makes the shot more interesting but i think i'd like to see a little more of the front of the car too. Its a nice shot but i think more 'oomph' (i think i'm just trying to say impact!) is needed which may be achieved by seeing more of the car :)

Thanks for the feedback! :)

I find it interesting that there is feeling that more of the car would be good - that shot is about as much of the car as I got. All the others are closer, and slightly more abstract! :p

I might post one tomorrow :)

Cheers,
Nik

Ok, I've not yet decided on what image to use for the theme 'Open'. A decision will have to be made very soon!

Meanwhile, I'd appreciate any thoughts on the following image, following the theme 'Style'. It's one of the more abstract images that I took! :p

C+C welcomed (y)

Last edited:
Yes, it's a little 'discrete' shall I say! :) The intention is to capture the crease in the bodywork of the Mercedes - a feature of the car which is fundamental to both the structure and the styling of the car (hopefully my link becomes clear now :)). But I can understand that this concept is easily lost in this photo as it has nothing to provide context - hence why I didn't select it as my first choice! :)

I can understand why you picked the first image for the theme. However, i really like the effect of the raindrops on the car so as much as its abstract i think i prefer the second shot :)

Well, I was falling behind again, so to give me a little boost I decided to use this theme as an 'open theme'. I was taking photos for a photo competition and came up with a few abstracts that I quite liked. My photo for the Open theme is one of these.

I present to you, water drops on a DVD :)

1186372931_jbwBu-L-1.jpg

Last edited:
I really like it, nicely shot (y) The colours are fab, and the composition work well with the curve! :)

only just seeing your thread for the first time, and I like what I see! :)

week 1 has to be my fave thus far, but all your images show great composition and have a certain individual style about them :) (y)

I like the 'Open' shot, a far reaching though on the 'open theme' ink!
What gave you the idea to put water drop lets on the CD?
It's a real nice effect, but I would possibly crop the top droplet.

I wasn't trying to link to the theme on this one unfortunately - decided to simply go open theme before I fall any further behind! :shake:

I was trying some ideas for a different theme (for another purpose to the 52 - moonlighting! :LOL:) of 'Water'. One thing led to another and I found myself with around a 100 images like this one! :D :D I used a different version for the Water theme photo, but liked this also.

I played with all sorts of crops before settling on this one. I might try again tho - thanks! :)

As the dates of the posts will confirm, I've been AWOL on my 52 for a while. I still intend to catch up though, and will do so with a few new photos today. The others are work in progress!

First up for tonight, 'Clutter':

1221261108_TaxVc-L.jpg

Hiya Nik, welcome back!

Hard, I like the idea of this one, but would be better with the bottle removed, I would consider a picture of just the pestle and mortar.

Clutter, This is an excellent photo, like the composition, works great indeed.

Delicate, You have captured the colours really well in this, looking nice and vibrant, and the composition is spot on.

Chaos, Another great photo, certainly chaotic indeed.

Look forward to seeing your forthcoming images. (y)

Back