I have finally realised it's me. !!!

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Iv'e had my dslr for about 18 months now ,added a few basic lenses .

Canon 1000d
18-55 stock lens (non is )
55-250
50mm 1.8

All pretty basic stuff to start off with, like many other in this section of the forum i have been struggling a lot lately with my photography, thinking it was my equipment or me.
I did think about upgrading a few months ago hoping that would help but i was assured its better to persevere and get the best out of what iv'e got .

So last week i was on holiday to Los angeles and vegas , i decided that i would only shoot in manual using the stock kit lens 18-55mm (non IS)

After many failed attempts for the first few days things finally started to improve and i began to get a few shots i was happy with .

I know these are not to the very high standard of many on here but i feel i'm finally heading in the right direction.

Thanks for reading.

IMG_2131-1.jpg

IMG_1960.jpg

IMG_2133.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab287/Motogp2/Vegas%20and%20hollywood/IMG-2066A.jpg[/IM

[IMG]http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab287/Motogp2/Vegas%20and%20hollywood/IMG_1875.jpg

IMG_2011.jpg

These are just a few , the grand canyon was hard to shoot in as the sun was directly in front.

Last edited:
Well done. It's good when it finally "clicks" ... so to speak ;)

Good tip get super glue..... stick mode dial in manual and all ways use that.... lol

At least this way you Have to set every thing and you learn what dose what and how and the effects of what happens on which way you go ie shutter time slow and fast and so on.

So then you will understand how you took the photo and can do it time and time again and learn to look at a picture and decide what your not happy with ie darkness

And you will no what to change to change the photo to get it right

Good luck it comes

And get to know every setting and every button dose on the camera and all the effects ie white balance...

It takes time and don't change your kit... plenty of people use it and get stunning photo so just a little more time on it mate and you will get there

Mmmm, thanks for posting these. You've just brought back fond memories of my trip there in September. I especially like the entrance shot to Ceasars and the Belagio fountains. You can find my pictures of Vegas on my Flickr account.(y)

Yup, the hotel entrance (Ceaser's??) is really excellent. Were the night shots done with a tripod? If not then you know the next item you need to buy.

As i'm new to this photography game too, I hope you don't mind my silly questions..... (and we are in the Basics section) :LOL:

I was wondering why the majority were took with small apertures(f3.5)?

Would you have been better with a larger aperture to get more of the detail front to back in focus. Like you did with f14 on the tall Caesars Palace shot and f7.1 on the hotel entrance shot?

Or because some of them were night shots, were you limited to having to open up the lens to ensure a good exposure? Did you use a tripod?

Those last photos are almost spot on! Good job! Next step. Tape over the screen on your camera :D Set in Manual and leave it :)

Well done and yes looks like you've broke it's back and they'll continue to improve now.

I went through a similar thing last year having sold my zoom so I could upgrade, was left with a prime for motorracing and it's a learning curve, but boy do you feel good when you crack it

As i'm new to this photography game too, I hope you don't mind my silly questions..... (and we are in the Basics section) :LOL:

Would you have been better with a larger aperture to get more of the detail front to back in focus. Like you did with f14 on the tall Caesars Palace shot and f7.1 on the hotel entrance shot?

Or because some of them were night shots, were you limited to having to open up the lens to ensure a good exposure? Did you use a tripod?

Sorry only just seen your post .

Yes the reason the aperture is so low is because i didn't have a tripod and alot were taken hand held so i had to keep the shutter speed as fast as possible .
Ideally a slower shutter and higher aperture would of been better but without my tripod i had little choice .

HTH

Thanks

That's a great shot of the Bellagio fountains. I know from experience that it's difficult to get a decent shot as they're moving quickly and each 'dance' is also programmed differently, so you never really know what's going to happen next! With that in mind, whether it was intentional or not, I like the crossovers forming heart shapes on the mid-left and mid-right; that's a nice unusual shot of a much photographed location.

Nemesis said:
That's a great shot of the Bellagio fountains. I know from experience that it's difficult to get a decent shot as they're moving quickly and each 'dance' is also programmed differently, so you never really know what's going to happen next! With that in mind, whether it was intentional or not, I like the crossovers forming heart shapes on the mid-left and mid-right; that's a nice unusual shot of a much photographed location.

Thank you.

Never noticed the hearts before lol now you have pointed them out they do look good . Right place at the right time and a bit of luck . :)

Just to avoid (my) confusion, a large aperture would be a smaller number (larger 'hole' - more light - smaller DOF). f3.5 would be a large aperture, f14 would be a small aperture (smaller 'hole' -less light - bigger DOF).

I Knew what Zarch meant :D

I'm glad you did! :bonk:
I think I knew what I meant, I just didn't relay it properly...... who thought up large aperture, smaller number...... LOL

Last edited:
Glad its clicked! Youll go on and upward from here. Could I add that you need to start looking a little more through your lens not only what you are taking the photo of but the surround. That way you would get the whole of the helicoper in shot and your horizons level. It took me some time to stop and think. My fave of yours is the white hotel on your second post. You have managed to capture a lampost head in the top of the photo. If you had been looking you could have moved a couple of feet and it wouldnt be there.

Keep it going!

Glad its clicked! Youll go on and upward from here. Could I add that you need to start looking a little more through your lens not only what you are taking the photo of but the surround. That way you would get the whole of the helicoper in shot and your horizons level. It took me some time to stop and think. My fave of yours is the white hotel on your second post. You have managed to capture a lampost head in the top of the photo. If you had been looking you could have moved a couple of feet and it wouldnt be there.

Keep it going!

(y) Thanks for the advice .

I'd say you are doing well, some nice shots there. As already said, try to get your horizons level but thats something I struggle with myself. You can always straighten them up afterwards in post.

Well done that man - it looks like you're well on the way up that hill.(y)

I`m 18 months behind you with my 1000d , it`s still a bit of a mystery to me but i`m learning , threads like this help ,nice pictures too (y)

Great shots, its great when you get your head around manual. fav is the first shot in the second post.

One thing i will say is watch you horizon a few are tilted a bit. Other then that good work all exposures seem great.

Really nice pics mate. I like the helicopter best! Progressing is a good feeling!

Thanks everyone especially for the advice it's much appreciated .

Ruffdog64, at first it seems like alot of numbers and nothing makes sense it has taken me a lot of failed attempts to get anywhere and i'm only on the first step of the ladder so to speak .
As i said in my first post i almost gave up a few months ago, as i'm sure many on here think about doing , so glad i stuck at it .

Really enjoying my photography again , been playing around with water drops tonight ,picture to follow.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Some nice photos and congrats for using manual mode. It is a learning curve but will definitely help and improve your photography. As others have said the horizons on some of the photos need straightened but that can be achieved in PS or other editing packages.

(y)

I think i was so focused on getting the exposure ect right i didn't really pay enough time to the photo composition, now things make a lot more sense i can give it more thought .

Thanks.

Some nice photos and congrats for using manual mode. It is a learning curve but will definitely help and improve your photography. As others have said the horizons on some of the photos need straightened but that can be achieved in PS or other editing packages.

Last edited:
Back