This Is Teesside - Part 1: Six Shot Panoramic

Name
April 2008
Edit My Images
No
Panoramic made up of 6 individual shots taken with the 70-200 from North Gare (Hartlepool/Seaton Carew side of the Tees mouth) and hand assembled in PhotoShop CS4.

I've never attempted a pano before, and am not a fan of them as I think you loose any impact unless they're printed out and displayed in a suitable gallery space. But having got up early only to be greeted by unforecast rain, I thought I'd give it a go.

I actually had more shots to the right but when I put them together there was a noticeable band in the sky. I think due to the distance between myself and the subject increasing and the fact that there was some sort of mist/visibility issue. I also had to 'skew' the image as only the first shot was 'level' and I just rotated the tripod head to make the image.

Anyways, here it is...

Click image to view MUCH BIGGR on Flickr!

As ever any thoughts, comments, or suggestions for next time (should there be a next time) greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I love this view! Its what makes home home for me. I think they call it 'iconic'

I also like the view just beyond Greatham Creek.

Like this Lee, well worth a look at its original size.

I have never tried pano before, if I remember rightly you get a a bit of software bundled with the canon utility......think its called PhotoStitch?

May give it a try myself this weekend if I can get out and shoot!!

Very nice shot well done!!

Not a very nice place though!! (IMO from my very short time there).

Like the colours it giving an Industrial Landscape a better "softer" image than what would be usually be done in B&W

must start photoshop CS training

Except for the 'dodgy' bit, but don't tell anyone. ;)

My knowledge of the area is a bit poor, but I Googled. Not sure how I get there, but will go and have a look at some point. Thanks. (y)

You just continue along the road that took you to North Gare, Greatham creek us the area with the seals, as if your heading to Middlesbrough.

Night time shots always look great around there

Very nice pano. My tip would be take the individual shots in portrait mode as it tends to lessen any distortion, also although I won't deny that its a nice shot, sometimes you have to consider the proportions and ratios. Something like 3:1 works well otherwise if you ever get it printed at a decent height you'll have bending round the room!

you get a a bit of software bundled with the canon utility

Really? Damn, I knew there was a reason I was supposed to read the manual! Thanks. :)

this is great, well done

Thanks for your kind words. :)

Not a very nice place though

As someone who grew up just north of Bristol and chose to move to Teesside some 24 years ago, I have to disagree. It is, what you make of it, and like anywhere has it's good bits and it's bad bits.

Like the colours

I thought they worked quite well. (y)

Greatham creek is the area with the seals

Ah, cheers Louise.

My tip would be take the individual shots in portrait mode as it tends to lessen any distortion... consider the proportions and ratios... something like 3:1 works well

Cheers for the feedback, I hadn't considered shooting portrait. I agree the aspect ratio isn't good for viewing online and really needs to be viewed very large on a blank wall. Hence the fact I've never shot a pano before. No room to hang owt here!

This is good, especially viewing the original, all comes together very well.

Never approached this location from North of the Tees, all mine are from Paddy's Hole side.

Works really well mate - Never been over the north, only the south, its nice to see things from a different perspective!

I think that has turned out really well Lee. The colours are spot on.
This would definitely sell to a smoggy living away from the area.

Never approached this location from North of the Tees, all mine are from Paddy's Hole side.

Cheers for commenting Les, it's always good to get your thoughts. The views from Paddy's Hole area always seem to be a lot more popular, so I tend to shy away from it to get something different. Not least because of your shot taken at dusk. I'd always be trying to produce something that good, or subconsciously replicating it.

Never been over the north, only the south, its nice to see things from a different perspective!

Cheers, that was my intention. :)

This would definitely sell to a smoggy living away from the area.

Thanks! I thought it'd make a good website 'top banner' too... and might be something do with it if I ever get my arse in gear and put together a decent website.

I love the colours

Cheers. And many thanks for taking time to comment. :)

Back