Surf Pic's from Rip Curl Boardmasters Newquay 2007

mho

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Images from the Rip Curl Boardmasters Surf Competition Newquay 2007

Images taken on 1dmk2n + 600mm f4 L IS + 1.4xmk2TC (Some are without the TC)

Conditions changed many times over the week, but some good runs were had resulting in some nice shots.

I tried a new style to my processing to simulate a film stock, and try to get away from the digital look of the images, some of this has been minimized with their conversion for the web.

These are just a few of my favourite shots from 5.5 days of surf action (1.5 days cancelled due to no waves)

Thanks for looking.

HODKINSON_20070808_5907.jpg

HODKINSON_20070808_5933.jpg

HODKINSON_20070808_5935.jpg

HODKINSON_20070808_5951.jpg

HODKINSON_20070808_5959.jpg

HODKINSON_20070808_5979.jpg

HODKINSON_20070808_6014.jpg

HODKINSON_20070808_6045.jpg

HODKINSON_20070808_6049.jpg

HODKINSON_20070810_6393.jpg

ah thers tonnes haha, but really all good. The waters so clear compared to some of the places up north, eg. Mersey. But anyway, Great Shots and looked like a great week!

Thanks for all the comments, it really is great to watch and these guys are just fantastic at surfing, given the not great conditions.

Some top quality shots there mho (y)

Great set just as you did last year Mark.;)

Tonnes of really nice images..:)

Some really great shots there. Difficult to pick a favourite...they're all good. (y)

Love the processing too, what sort of direction did that take?

I just wanted to get away from the clean digital feel for these shots, as I wanted them to have a bit of a gritty feel about them,

So they were all converted from RAW with C1pro, but were left under exposed slightly (how thry were shot so I didnt blow the high lights i the water too much), A fair amount of sharpening was added at the RAW conversion stage, files converted to Tiff, An S curve was then applied to all images to lighten them slightly without doing them too much. And then my grain file was added as a layer, opacity reduced to 20% and flattened to give a hint of grain.
Then for the web, the images were resized (bicubic sharper), fitted to 800pixels, medium edge sharpen applies for web viewing, colour profile converted, flattened, and you get what we have here.
The effect was lost a bit on the conversion to web size's.

Sorry, I don't see them?

Only image #48...

There are others ?????? :LOL:

Excellent shots

Carl.

Every one a belter! Excellent series of images and impossible to pick a favourite. :clap:

The effect was lost a bit on the conversion to web size's.

I think it maybe so, they look very crisp and transparency film like to me, not at all gritty.

I really liked the clean simple look of them, thanks for that run down, useful stuff. .... I too use the underexposed conversion method leaving the final levels till last kinda thing.

Again, there super shots. 44's one of my faves. :) (y)

So they were...left under exposed slightly (how they were shot so I didnt blow the high lights i the water too much)...an S curve was then applied to all images to lighten them slightly without doing them too much.

That is contradicting yourself :)

Incredible shots - not a bad one there! :notworthy:

How come the sea is never that colour when I'm surfing down that way? :bonk:

That is contradicting yourself :)

No its not

Images were processed but still left slightly under exposed.
then an S curve was applied to lighten them slightly.

thats not contradicting myself thats fine tuning each image with an s curve, to achieve the correct balance and exposure. :razz:

Stunning shots, simply stunning (y)

No its not

Images were...left slightly under exposed.
then an S curve was applied to lighten them slightly.

thats...to achieve the correct balance and exposure. :razz:

Hmm I see it again :razz: Left underexposed to expose them correctly later :thinking: If that makes sense to you then all is good

Quite simply the finest set of surf pics ive ever seen.:clap:
Dean:)

Back