Help with walk-a-bout shots

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I'm currently doing a Project 52 here and i'm really enjoying it i'm finding using my camera a lot easier now and i'm enjoying getting out and using it, although i need with help with my general photography.

The shots for my 52 are all ones that i've set up and had the time to think about placement and light and the setting on the camera, however i went for a walk around the Ipswich marine the other day and the photo's i took just didn't do anything for me :-(. I don't whether it was a settings issue (I was in Av mode with f11 set-up for most of the shots) or it was just my technique.

Here are some of the photo's I took

DPP_0110 by j.fordham, on Flickr

DPP_0118 by j.fordham, on Flickr

DPP_0132 by j.fordham, on Flickr

DPP_0133 by j.fordham, on Flickr

DPP_0149 by j.fordham, on Flickr

DPP_0153 by j.fordham, on Flickr

I would really appreciate it is someone could give me some comments, tips and general guidance on walk-a-bout photography?

If i had to some up the problem i would say i just dont understand what setting to have and how to position myself.

Many thanks

James

Hi mate

I really like some of this pics, im no expert bu any means, but the idea of 3 witht he cross beams is nice, im just not sure the whole thing is that interesting

I know exactly how you feel tho, i do these sort of shots a lot, and just dont like anything i take, I guess its just practice practice practice

Plain boring (although good for a practice).
For leading lines go low... obviously this means you lose the boats...
Probably needed a focal point or something of interest... In here that life buoy could be it - nice n bright. Stand to the right and look towards the boats..?

A building. Bunk up the contrast a bit, tweak settings so the white is more white..?

Nice idea and very tricky.
If you can try for two exposures, one for the sky and one for the cross beams. Without a tripod though might not work and will involve post processing. Perhaps a few angles to get more of the other buildings in the gap or more sky.

Bit dull and is just a building, leaning a little?
Try boosting saturation, brightness and contrast a little?
If you are feeling post processy, replace the sky?
Oh and crop the bottom roof line out?

First one I really like of your shots, colourful!
I didn't see the birds on the first pass as they don't stand out, but the rusting bar does. Really like it!
Perhaps a portrait crop with the rope as a leading line from a corner to the birds?

I also like this, although the ducks head almost hides in teh shadow (not much you can do about that tho!).
Its perhaps a little too central? Crop the bottom and right side a little as see how it looks?

Overall you've done well.

Keep up the shooting!

Hiya James,

Glad to hear you are making progress with your photography, which is also evident in your Photo52.

Also happy that you are venturing out with the camera to take more general shots rather than staged/setup photos. However that is a good place to start with learning about camera settings etc.

I like how you have thought about the photos that you have taken here and as maccy18 said it is all a matter of practice practice practice, but most of all enjoying your togging.

I agree with a lot of ecniv's comments who has covered pretty much what I would have said, but I'll still do a brief comment on each, so apologise if I seem to be repeating what has already been commented:

#1: You have got the verticals aligned on this one, which is good. Some nice cloudy sky too, which I think you have done okay with the exposure. Agree, if you had to go lower you could have got some great leading line with the chain which would have perhaps led the eye to a better focal point as I find my eyes flitting about trying to find the main focal point.

#2: I like taking photos of building from this angle and I think you have done well with spotting this. Think the photo would have looked better if the whole building was cast by shadow, especially as the upper white part is over exposed. Perhaps applying a gradient tint and adjusting the levels in post processing might help tone that. The photo could do with a bit of a straighten to bring the the central vertical lines straight. Otherwise I like this one.

#3: Nice use of the cross bars, perhaps a bit of a rotate once again to get sort of a straighter X and then a slight crop top and bottom.

#4: This one needs straightening quite a bit. By doing so you might find that cuts out the lower left rooftop and the two birds, which would be a good thing. The photo would benefit from a bit of a punch, so up the saturation a bit and a bit of sharpening would bring out more of the detail in the buildings.

#5: Like this one. A bit of a crop bottom and right to make the rope a lead in line from the right. Might also bring the birds out a tad more, which I didn't notice at first glance.

#6: With this one I think a lower angle would have been better and perhaps if you had moved a bit to the right as there is a lot of detail there getting lost in the straight head on viewpoint and the background (the duck blends into the darker colours). Also the eye is a tad distracting.

Otherwise I like where you are coming from by taking these photos, and a good variety of images from your walk.

I hope my comments help and don't sound negative.

Enjoy your future walks, and don't forget to take your camera :D

Cheers

Dawn :)

Back