The fuji X10 is now in the UK

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Purely gadgets (who We've used several times with no problems) has just had 15 of them - British stock - cleared through Gatwick well ahead of the release date.

So the LX5 is on Ebay and hopefully the X10 will be in my hands by early next week.

So perhaps the advanced compact has finally grown up! On paper and video the X10 appears to deal with all of the issues with the current AC selection. We'll see, well if it turns up we will.

Watch this space!

Oooo - been watching DPReview and it's mostly doom and gloom about delivery dates.
This is excellent news!
Had my pre-order in for a while.

I'm an LX3 user. The X10 sample shots look great. I'm really looking forward to getting mine.

used pg once, let me down, they say they have stock then after placing order whoops outta stock.

Also an LX3 user and seriously considering an X10 when funds allow and prices drop to something like realistic. Never been fully satisfied by the LX3, but nothing on the market until the X10 came along that has caught my eye.

Nicely put!
I never felt the LX3 properly replaced my ancient but exceptionally capable Canon S40 and was no where near the quality returned by my Mum's ancient Fuji f32fd.
The X10 Polish sample images taken at f2 are bliimin sharp!

fuji x10 looks to be superawesome !

do hope they drop to a realistic price soon .

and Fuji - please bring out a black X100 .. PLEEAAASEE !!!

otherwise I'm gonna save for the silver one and then paint it ! :D

Nicely put!
I never felt the LX3 properly replaced my ancient but exceptionally capable Canon S40 and was no where near the quality returned by my Mum's ancient Fuji f32fd.
The X10 Polish sample images taken at f2 are bliimin sharp!

Just looked the sample images, wasn't that impressed? I don't usually look at compact samples but is this sharp for a compact?

Just looked the sample images, wasn't that impressed? I don't usually look at compact samples but is this sharp for a compact?

Which samples did you look at ?
The official ones are the worst as they say nothing about IQ

The Polish samples are taken with the X10 set to no sharpening and lowest noise reduction. Most have been shot at the widest aperture which is a tough test for any lens, compact or SLR.
http://www.optyczne.pl/4302-nowość-Fujifilm_X10_-_zdjęcia_przykładowe.html
This one is ISO 800 at f2.5 and even the writing at the right hand edge of the shot is sharp and legible. Focus looks like it has been placed on the two people. Even the label on the fridge is readable!
http://pliki.optyczne.pl/X10/fujX10_fot01.jpg

Here's an amazing set from a model shoot!
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1995112609864.2092052.1604914901&l=ad641774a7&type=1
I'd be happy with the image quality on those, regardless of what kit I'd used.

Last edited:
Alan Clogwyn said:
Looks good - what's the expected price tag?

Amazon pre order is about 500, its around 600 if you get the leather case and metal lens hood/filter adaptor bundle.

Which samples did you look at ?
The official ones are the worst as they say nothing about IQ

The Polish samples are taken with the X10 set to no sharpening and lowest noise reduction. Most have been shot at the widest aperture which is a tough test for any lens, compact or SLR.
http://www.optyczne.pl/4302-nowość-Fujifilm_X10_-_zdjęcia_przykładowe.html
This one is ISO 800 at f2.5 and even the writing at the right hand edge of the shot is sharp and legible. Focus looks like it has been placed on the two people. Even the label on the fridge is readable!
http://pliki.optyczne.pl/X10/fujX10_fot01.jpg

Here's an amazing set from a model shoot!
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1995112609864.2092052.1604914901&l=ad641774a7&type=1
I'd be happy with the image quality on those, regardless of what kit I'd used.

Thats funny - I thought for someone with a 5DII yourself you might not think so highly of those pictures - I don't think the noise control in the ISO 800 photo is THAT great. Corner to corner sharpness looks good!

Won't be throwing my 5D into the bin anytime soon! :LOL:

Thats funny - I thought for someone with a 5DII yourself you might not think so highly of those pictures - I don't think the noise control in the ISO 800 photo is THAT great. Corner to corner sharpness looks good!

Won't be throwing my 5D into the bin anytime soon! :LOL:

Ah - but I'm looking to replace my LX3, not my 5DII - and the X10 is looking like a quantum leap in IQ.
Plus the 5DII isn't THAT clean; but it's better than the 60D I also use.
The big difference between the 60D and 5DII is the remarkable ability to retain fine detail at high ISO which the 60D fails to capture.

Regards the Polish imatges - there isn't any noise control - which is what makes them so impressive!
To see how the X10 gets on with 'normal' settings have a look at this set.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68511526@N02/
That's what I call properly impressive, but it's not the best target for checking retention of fine detail, which is why the Polish Cafe shot is particularly important.

I called Purely Gadgets today re update on the impending delivery , initially got fobbed off, said i'd stay on the line while checks were made and within a couple of minutes was told of the website error.

No suprise then. No early stock. I placed the order by phone and after questoning how they had them in stock was told in detail about an early delivery that had just been cleared through Gatwick.

I feel sure that they actually set out to decieve for their own purposes so I hereby confine them to the bottom of the bin with Pimply electronics.

I guess I'll pre-order with Amazon.

Dear staff, my signature has been unchanged by me for yonks so I don't know what the issue is. I have no wish to advertise because at the age of 56 I have more work than I can handle.

fuji x10 looks to be superawesome !

do hope they drop to a realistic price soon .

Im actually supprized at how low the launch price is, the top end Canon and Nikons like the G series launch at £450 or so I'd expect a camera with a larger sensor and a faster lens to be more even without the styling.

Im actually supprized at how low the launch price is, the top end Canon and Nikons like the G series launch at £450 or so I'd expect a camera with a larger sensor and a faster lens to be more even without the styling.

is it ? haven't compared them . I do think however that the canon had a pretty wide lens as well .

and even with a supercool designing Fuji has to sell them cheaper as they're not a major player at least in the europe etc market. Have a feeling that they are quite big with film stuff in japan . for example - klasse cameras. have never seen one here in UK .

X10 sensor - 2/3" EXR-CMOA, 12MP
G12 sensor - 1/1.7" CCD, 10MP

Unless I'm misreading something, the G-series has the larger sensor..

Whilst I really like the look and specs of the X10, until there are some independent reviews out I'm struggling to decide between the X10, G12, S100, etc for a compact to compliment/substitute a DSLR when travelling. And it's the price that's the only significant negative with the X10.

With most of the obvious competitors sub-£400 the X10 needs to show a considerable drop on the street price to compete. The Amazon error that put the pre-order price briefly at £450 made it sound a lot more enticing.

G12 sensor - 1/1.7" CCD, 10MP.

That makes the X10 larger doesnt it? doing a quick search for actual sizes I came up with...

G12 - 7.6 x 5.7mm

X10 - 8.8 x 6.6mm

So the Fuji's about 30% larger, it also has a lens thats between F2 and 2.8 for the entire range where as the Canon goes down to 5.6 at the long end.

That makes the X10 larger doesnt it? doing a quick search for actual sizes I came up with...

G12 - 7.6 x 5.7mm

X10 - 8.8 x 6.6mm

So the Fuji's about 30% larger, it also has a lens thats between F2 and 2.8 for the entire range where as the Canon goes down to 5.6 at the long end.

In that case I have been misreading it. That makes the Fuji a lot more attractive, but the price will surely drop to £450 quite quickly.

I can't tell from Fuji's marketing stuff, does the zoom ring round the lens also double as manual focus ring? If not, how is mf controlled? And does the x10 have the same hybrid biewfinder as the x100 or are you going to have to look at the back screen for focus and exposure info?

1) The zoom ring does not control focus. From the X10 manual - rotate the sub-command dial - The manual focus indicator indicates how closely the focus distance matches the distance to the subject in the focus brackets (the red bar indicates the focus distance, the white bar the depth of field. The manual also describes how to check focus be zooming in. It's all a little bit manual speak, but I'm expecting it to be pretty straightforward in practice.
2) The viewfinder in not the same as the X100, it is only augmented by a green LED to confirm focus. The review in my earlier post notes that it is vastly superior to the G12, but not as good as the X100.

Ok, sounds good. Getting more and more tempted.
I could probably get an x10 without selling much, though it might make my NEX3 a tad redundant, the other things I've been looking at are X100 and NEX7 but to get either of those I'd probably be looking at selling the last of my DSLRs, a step I'm not entirely sure I'm ready to take yet.
Wonder whether there'll be aperture blade problems as with the X100.

I was getting ready to let the thought of a Nex 7 begin to think about crossing my mind until I took a look at the available lenses and decided that none of them suited me. Shame.

I was getting ready to let the thought of a Nex 7 begin to think about crossing my mind until I took a look at the available lenses and decided that none of them suited me. Shame.

Know that feeling. I'm using my NEX3 with the 16mm pancake which is nice but pretty wide (24mm equiv) and a manual focus Konica 50mm on an adapter, I had to Araldite the Konica lens to the adapter as the fit was pretty naff, not exactly what I want be putting on the front of a £1k body if I upgrade to the 7.
Im thinking the x10 would be the perfect partner to my Konica Hexar AF and I can keep the 5D or 1D and all my lenses for when I want more reach/more image quality (maybe) or to use flash etc.

G12 sensor - 1/1.7" CCD, 10MP

Unless I'm misreading something, the G-series has the larger sensor..
You're confusing 1/2.3" with 2/3". The former is the size of sensor used in the majority of compact cameras; the latter is half the size of 4/3". You're not the first and you won't be the last.... ;)

You're confusing 1/2.3" with 2/3". The former is the size of sensor used in the majority of compact cameras; the latter is half the size of 4/3". You're not the first and you won't be the last.... ;)

I'd got myself into a muddle with the G12.. I wasn't seeing 1/1.7 as a fraction..

can someone explain what all this 1/2.3" nonsense means? 8.8mm x 6.6mm means something!

Looking at the sample images from http://www.optyczne.pl I must say I'm underwhelmed. They do look pretty flat and lack any sort of WOW factor. The ones from Flickr look much better however. Need to see more!

Looking at the sample images from http://www.optyczne.pl I must say I'm underwhelmed. They do look pretty flat and lack any sort of WOW factor. The ones from Flickr look much better however. Need to see more!

If you want tip top feel good images that tell you very little, then head over to the official Fuji samples.
Given the terrible conditions, that's not a bad set...
My current P&S wouldn't do any where near as well and any comparison with a DSLR, however unfavorable, has got to be a major compliment.

The real test will be when the reviewers get hold of the X10 and can test it properly, instead of these grabbed leaks from cards that claim to have fallen out of trade show demos.
The reviews are looking promising; but that's about all we can say for certain at the moment.

I'm waiting until they reach our store and will take some test shots for myself. Only then will i know for sure if it's good or not. Looking at some of the images at 100% does confirm that there is a reasonable amount of detail so let's see what I can do when they turn up.

can someone explain what all this 1/2.3" nonsense means? 8.8mm x 6.6mm means something!
DPReview has an article explaining it here. It's a bit out-of-date in terms of camera models and megapixel sizes but is otherwise very helpful. The naming system does seem a highly archaic hangover that serves mainly to confuse.

DPReview has an article explaining it here. It's a bit out-of-date in terms of camera models and megapixel sizes but is otherwise very helpful. The naming system does seem a highly archaic hangover that serves mainly to confuse.

I'm guessing the main reason its survived is exactly because it confuses and thus hides how small these sensors are.

The sample images look fine to me. Let's remember that we're talking about a small sensored compact here and place our expectations accordingly. Keen to see how well it copes at higher ISO's - image quality on most compacts crumble over ISO400. The only exception in my experience was the old Fuji F31, after which Fuji entered the megapixel race and it all went wrong.

I pre-ordered from Harrison's yesterday. They are including an £80 leather Fuji case in that, which essentially brings the camera down to £450. Sure, both will drop in price in a few months but by then i will have had that time to use and enjoy it. There will be something else coming to market to drool over and the cycle continues!

I think that's a decent price at launch. On paper and from the image samples I think it's exactly the p&s camera a lot of enthusiast togs have been waiting for. NEX-7 looks awesome but lenses are bulky and expensive. I have so much money and knowledge invested in nikon that I can't see myself jumping to another interchangable lens system, at least not for paid work. The x10 is a daily grab-and-go cam: no lens decisions, very light, but with the manual control I need.

Back