The fuji X10 is now in the UK

I think that's a decent price at launch. On paper and from the image samples I think it's exactly the p&s camera a lot of enthusiast togs have been waiting for. NEX-7 looks awesome but lenses are bulky and expensive. I have so much money and knowledge invested in nikon that I can't see myself jumping to another interchangable lens system, at least not for paid work. The x10 is a daily grab-and-go cam: no lens decisions, very light, but with the manual control I need.

I'm supprized its taken this long for someone to push sensor size a bit in the P&S market, looking at the X10 the lens hasnt become prohibtively large dispite having a decent range with a large max appature thoughout.

Just had an extended play with an X10 at a shop's showroom here in Hong Kong. Wasn't as excited as I hoped I would be. Will probably go back another time soon, when the girlfriend isn't standing in the corner of my eye looking bored out of her mind, and have a proper look.

First thing that struck me was that it wasn't as good looking as images of it that I had seen, and I wondered if the optional lens hood would look a bit strange sitting on the lens when it's fully extended. The display and all the controls seemed responsive (I found the X100 to be laggy) and it would probably help if I switched it from Chinese to English next time. The optical viewfinder was somewhat disappointing, it was bright but fairly small and squarish. Also weighing on my mind was that the camera was sat next to a Canon S95 display model, priced at about £160 cheaper and signficantly smaller. Personally I think I am going to wait for the S100 to come out, read the reviews and have play with them both (X10 & S100) then make my mind up around Christmas time as to which one I want.

For anyone that cares, the X10 is HK$4880 (£390) with the leather case costing HK$700 (£55) and lens hood HK$450 (£35). The camera was on backorder in the shop I was in, and probably will be in all other shops here. The high demand will probably mean that there will third party accessories on sale soon too at less than Fuji's inflated prices.

What's the word on release date for these?

I know the price will probably drop a bit come January sales time but just got a nice wee pay cheque and student loan in again soon too so I'm tempted.

Just read the DPreview hands-on.. still not enough to convice me that it's worth the premium over the G12. Maybe once the EAT comes off and there's a few more detailed reviews available (AP have it scheduled for early December review).

I'm in the market for a quality small compact for travel and to sit in a jacket pocket when out shooting landscapes - fortunately I'm not in a hurry. I'm not convinced that the style and features of the X10, whilst very appealling (shiny, shiny, preci-ous.. ..), will have any real world advantages over the G12 worthy of the £120-150 difference in price (that's about a third as much again as the G12).

The guru's over at Luminous Landscape posted that they are playing with one.
They don't care about anything except real world IQ; I'm really looking forward to reading their thoughts.

Definitely needs an authoritative review.
I've seen some excellent examples of poor technique being blamed on the camera.
An image looking soft at 100%, taken at f7.1; that'll be diffraction.
Distant foliage not rendered well, taken at f2.2 focussed in the foreground; that'll be depth of field.

Tried checking Stock on the Jessops site last night n they were showing one available for instore collection at a few glasgow brnches for today. Gonna call in tomorrow n try get a play with one.

very impressive camera. I think i gonna try convince my dad not to buy Nikon P7100 and get this Fuji x10 instead :)

Sounds as good as I'd hoped, just hope the price starts to come down to something morer realistic. Slightly disagree with the last paragraph though- I'm sure that a 4/3 or similar camera is almost as compact with a pancake lens, but a pancake lens isn't a zoom. Stick the equivalent of a 28-105 on, and it's nowhere near as compact.

had a play with one in the shop at the weekend and thought it was lovely bar..

a) I fail to see the point of the viewfinder, it tells you nothing and i had my glasses on at the time so ended up using the screen instead which was much better

b) the auto focus wouldnt lock on a few times and it needed a second press

c) I kept pressing the Ok button when trying to use the dial thing at the back which was just flipping annoying after about the 10th time of trying to get through the menus

but it did seem lovely, i should of taken a memory card along so i could look at the images at home. The samples online look nice though but the fiddlyness of the controls (in my fingers) put me off a bit.

Sounds very good right up to the last paragraph

I'd kind of agree with the last paragraph.

It's definitely nice and small and pocketable when it's turned off, turning it on extends the lens and does make it bigger but unless you want to photograph the inside of your pocket then you won't be putting in there turned on.

I did think the viewfinder was a bit pointless, at least it zooms with the lens but there's zero info in there which is such a stark contrast to the x100's vf which gives you all the info you could ever want and more.

The x100 was just too much nicer for me and that's where my money went.

Luminous Landscape have published an X10 report based on their field tests...
Sure makes me glad I got my pre-order in early; I just wish the call would come telling me to collect it!

Fujifilm X-10 Field Review – X Hits the Spot
I didn't want to wait so I found stock at Clifton Cameras which isn't too far from Mendip. Reasonable price too at least until I added the hood, flash, etc, etc....

I've played with the X10 in jessops a couple of times, i really like it, it looks quite understated and stealthy, and it's really quiet.

I really want to find an excuse to buy one, but I don't really have a need, I have an S95 as a compact camera, and micro four thirds when I need more, so I"m not sure how the X10 would fit in, much bigger than the S95 but nowhere near as versatile as M4/3 with a few fast primes.

Still, temptation is high.

There's gonna be an XZ-1 in the sales section as soon as I find the lens cap.....

Back