Which dog?

akr

Name
Al
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all

I'm starting to do some very advanced research! I'd love a dog now but now I could not give it enough time for walks etc.

So fast forward 5 years that will hopefully have changed. My parents previously owned a labrador which I loved and was a fantastic dog \ member of the family.

Someone near me has a border terrier which looks a bundle of fun.

I'd be looking into a dog that would be a good family pet. I live in London with an small garden and plenty of green space nearby for good walks.

I'd just like to hear about the dogs you have and why you love them, and also anyone who owns 2 dogs v 1 dog what difference it makes (other than vet bills!).

Thanks

Al

Miniature Poodle, the batteries last forever in em, they don't need loads of exercise and they don't shed hair...:)

Well, having had a golden retriever (lovely dog, didn't fetch anything in his life), and currently having a german shepherd (will fetch a ball. For HOURS) I would recommend my dog to be of the future, a labradoodle.
Ours will be awesome :)

A

Give it some serious thought - it's a long term commitment - some need a lot of exercise and some don't.

My last dog was a Springer Spaniel. He made nearly 15 which is exceptional for a Springer . I gun trained him and we did a lot of miles together, Springers need a lot of exercise though and there's no respite whatever the weather -you're going to have to go out. :D

Get a mongrel...... Best dogs ever!

Big dog (lab's)need a big house if they are not to smash everything waging there tails :LOL:
Little dog for smaller houses (yorky,border terrier )
Greyhounds funnily enough don't need that much exercise, 2 dogs can keep each other amused ( and twice as much mischief):eek:

Last edited:
My last dog was a Springer Spaniel. He made nearly 15 which is exceptional for a Springer . I gun trained him and we did a lot of miles together, Springers need a lot of exercise though and there's no respite whatever the weather -you're going to have to go out. :D

:plus1: - gorgeous dogs with bags of character, energy and a great nature with kids too. Mine goes to agility classes each week to give her some mental challenges too.

The kennel club website has a doggy questionnaire which matches your lifestyle with a breed.

Border terriers shed shed-loads. Mine'll fetch, but can't catch. He takes an instant dislike to some people and some other dogs. A big little dog, not too large to have on your lap or warming your back in an armchair. Loves kids, respects cats. Still learning, at eight and a half. Less than 25 pence per day to feed (based on 15 kg grub for about £22). I've had Collies, a Retriever, a Pug, a Greyhound, a Westie and assorted other terriers.

i have 4 springers and a springer X they're great dogs, but not for the house proud as they love mud and water, they need plenty of exercise, but the best way to tire them out is to work their brains, very intelligent they only do something if they can see the point of it, all that said i wouldn't be without any of mine, they drive me crackers at times, but put the biggest smile on my face.

If you're in London and this is your first dog, i would suggest a trip to Battersea an older rescue maybe the way to go.

Personally i don't think i'll ever have this many dogs again, but i would always have two, they keep each other company

Irish Wolfhounds, Lovely dogs, really docile and great personalities. They can take exercise or leave it, love kids. many years back when mum and dad moved, the house they were buying fell through so for 12 weeks the 3 of us plus the wolfhound and another dog lived in a 14 foot caravan. the wolfhound used to share my bed and I still had plenty of room I was 16 at the time) Average age is about 10.

my suggestion would be go to a few dog shows and talk to breed owners, best place to research about different breeds from actual owners and not from hearsay sources. Be aware of "made up" names such as Labradoodles etc they are crossbreeds yet people get fooled into thinking they are an actual breed.So don't pay a lot of money for one.
Should you decide to get a resue dog from a rescue society just note that you are asked for a donation, this is a crafty way of avoiding the sale of goods act, so if the dog goes ill you have no comeback.

The kennel club have a web site with breeders registered with then who have puppies for sale and this would be my first port of call.

Before anyone jumps down on my back I have owned dogs for more years than I can remember- own a successful boarding kennels for the last 20 years- trained- breed-show- apart from having been involved with advertising using dogs so can speak with a some knowledge.

Realspeed

Should you decide to get a resue dog from a rescue society just note that you are asked for a donation, this is a crafty way of avoiding the sale of goods act, so if the dog goes ill you have no comeback.

This isnt always true, we got a rescue pup from the RSPCA centre and she was extremely ill from 1 week after we got her home, she nearly died on us twice. The RSPCA sent us to their personal vet, paid for everything and even offered to take her back for us to choose a different dog because of how unwell she became (we were too attached by then and couldnt dream of "swapping" her). I couldnt be more supportive of our local centre after such good service.

To the OP, what sort of lifestyle do you lead? Are you out of the house for long periods, are you able to take your dog to work with you? Are there any particular types you would want to avoid?

We have an Airedale terrier (our third and the second we've "rescued") he quite big and likes to walk but there are smaller versions ie Welsh or Lakeland terriers, their coat casts very little but they need groomed quite a bit.
I'd visit a dog show to see all breeds and contact breed clubs to get information on different dogs, most too have a rescue operation of some sort.

Realspeed

the rescue i work for pays vet bills for dogs that come in with a known condition, on the breeder front do your homework, avoid places like the local classifieds, gumtree, preloved etc, a good breeder will interogate you as much as you interogate them a bad one will take your money and run and you will also have no comeback

From personal experience;
Lurcher - half greyhound, half couch potato. 2, 20 minute runs a day are enough to keep them happy altho they're quite agreeable with longer walks.
Border terriers - their look always reminds me of an old guy looking for a scrap, but very faithful and tend to bond to one family member more than the others. Lots of energy - I have never worn one out.
Greyhounds - Similar to lurchers but can be aggressive & snappy

I currently have a 12 yo lurcher and a 7 yo border/lakeland cross. They compliment each other very well and we've had them both from 6 weeks old.
I wouldn't hesitate to get another of either breed, but would always try and get one from a rescue centre rather than a breeder. (just personal choice)

Really would recommend a Miniature Schnauzer, we have a 3 year old black one. Great dog, doesn't cast, very very smart, easy trained and doesn't need that much exercise.

Also have a 15 year old Jack Russell, great dog loyal dog too. Only thing is they cast hair like crazy!

As daft as this may sound - make sure you or the family are not allergic to aminal hair !

I had a lovely rescue dog, to grow up with & loved her to bits.

But now, i'm allergic to pet hair ! Only found out when we had a rescue cat & she had to go back 24 hours later.

But if you are a poodle, or a poodle mix will be fine. Local hairdresser has a Poodle / Bichon Frise mix is a big ball of woll - but doesn't make me sneeze !

Ihave a lab (4th I have had). All delightfull companions that bonded really closely with me and a joy to be with.
Not long home from a long walk with the boy in the pic.

Best if you have a garden, but as long as you can access good walking areas they'll do just fine.

d300bran1_281_22610_056_Medium_1.jpg

We had a rescue lurcher a few years ago from the RSPCA - my first dog in adult life. He was a lovely dog and really enjoyed a good walk every day. He got at least 60-90 minutes of walking each day and would probably have been happy with more. I'm not sure that it would have been fair to give him less. He got bored of "fetch" very quickly but loved exploring - even climbing trees. Unfortunately he came off second best in an argument with a car and is no more. I couldn't believe how attached I had become to him

20090420_160200_6933_LR.jpg

Now we have a rescue staffy cross from Battersea. She is an absolute delight. She was described as "submissive" by Battersea and that was a plus point for us. We'd far rather have an unassuming dog than a bolshy git. She's friendly with people and (mostly) gets on well with other dogs. She has bags of energy and also gets at least 60-90 minutes of walking/running/swimming each day. Once she's run off her surplus energy she is content to rest quietly for the remainder of the day. She is mad for chasing a ball and will play fetch forever, which allows her to get loads of exercise while giving me an easier time of it. We've had her for 18 months and she is perfect. Never ill. Never chews things she shouldn't. Just fabulous.

20110903_113210_9982_LR.jpg

However, as much as we loved Zippy, and now Jazz, they really are a major commitment and sometimes, to be blunt, quite inconvenient. We don't like to leave our dogs too long (four hours max if poss and preferably less) and never until they have had a good walk, and won't put them in kennels and that really does limit us. Still, the dog always comes first. I wouldn't have it any other way.

But now, i'm allergic to pet hair ! Only found out when we had a rescue cat & she had to go back 24 hours later.

You should check, I've never been able to be in the same room as a cat for long before I get all itchy but spent fifteen years with a dog (who cast more hairs in a day than I have on my head) and not a problem.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, much more of a response than I expected, a lot of dog lovers here! (y) Quite a few breeds I'd not considered.

I've done the walking in the rain bit when I lived with my parents with our lab, and I must admit I'd forgotten about the crazy tail wagging destruction!

Not against getting a mongrel, or a rescue dog. Open to anything at present.

If I do get one, or two, going forwards they would get at least 1.5 hours walking per day, hopefully more. If I don't think I can do this, I don't think I'll be getting a dog...which is my current issue.

Thanks again everyone for all the input, much appreciated. :)

Agree very much with the idea already expressed of getting one form a rescue centre. Unfortunately there are lots of dogs that are unwanted and really need a home.

There can be difficulties with rescue dogs, but good centres are open about any problems the dogs may have.

Dave

have mostly had Labs and Staffs but our current baby is

6211397942_6ae6bbca4a.jpg

she is a beauty just coming up to 12 weeks old, I am not too fussed about small dogs but the missus wanted one and I very quickly have warmed to her..

Bless! Judging by the look on her face, she's either just spotted something she can try to kill (but will no doubt miss by quite some margin) or is looking for somewhere to lay a well-placed dog-flavoured choclate whippy...!

From personal experience;
Lurcher - half greyhound, half couch potato. 2, 20 minute runs a day are enough to keep them happy altho they're quite agreeable with longer walks.
Border terriers - their look always reminds me of an old guy looking for a scrap, but very faithful and tend to bond to one family member more than the others. Lots of energy - I have never worn one out.
Greyhounds - Similar to lurchers but can be aggressive & snappy

I currently have a 12 yo lurcher and a 7 yo border/lakeland cross. They compliment each other very well and we've had them both from 6 weeks old.
I wouldn't hesitate to get another of either breed, but would always try and get one from a rescue centre rather than a breeder. (just personal choice)

+ 1.. for the Lurcher, I had a long haired one, darft as a brush and so loveable..

Get a mongrel...... Best dogs ever!

Agreed. Not inbred so healthier and brighter. We had a Heinz (57 varieties) terrier type who went nineteen to the dozen for nearly 18 years.

Wisemen family have shar pei. At one point we had 4, plus half a dozen puppies, when we were showing. Toilet trained at 6 weeks, shed very little, take it or leave it with excercise, in fact our girl refuses to go out the house if its raining. If there are puddles she will go out her way to make sure she walks round them. Great with kids, she's 10 in April and we have a 4 year old and a 8 month baby and she is really relaxed around them both. Very food orientated so pretty easy to train, simply bribe with a titbit. Good fun, very entertaining and you dont see that many around.

PUG PUG PUG

Best dog ever wouldnt be without mine. Only downside is they cast but give em a wee brush every couple of days and ull be grand.

So two years into my five year plan! I currently have a 3 year old boy and expecting another one in January so definitely looking for a dog (or two) good with young families. I've made my mind up yet on whether a dog and a 6 year old and 3 year old is a good idea yet or if I should wait a bit longer for the kids to be older.

I've not visited any rescue centres yet however I have looked online at a few, and nearly 99% of dogs on there seem to be only suitable for children aged 8+. So I'm wondering if anyone has got a dog via a rescue centre with a youngish family? Perhaps if you register and explain the situation they alert you to dogs that are not put online as they go quickly? Still nothing urgent, was just wondering.

Many rescues won't home to people with children under 5 for very good reasons, they don't get told the truth when the dog is handed in and unless the child is used to dogs it can and does end in tragedy.
Seriously think about a puppy if you have someone at home all day, kids grow up learning to respect the dog and the dog grows up with the kids

Thanks Ingrid - I thought as much and that makes sense, and was what was partly making me consider waiting for the children to be older. As you say a puppy makes most sense, but I guess probably less likely from a rescue centre, though not impossible.

I'll possibly get flamed for this, but there is absolutely no way I'd get a rescue dog with 2 small kids around. Not knowing the history and any issues which the rescue centre might not be aware of really concerns me.

I've got 2 Weims which we got just before my son was 2. They are fantastic with him but he did get knocked over a lot as a toddler! We taught him at an early age to feed them and the do's and don'ts of playing with them which IMHO is vital. Brilliant dogs, but never again will I get 2 puppies at the same time - especially a headstrong breed. Seriously hard work!

Personally, 2 young kids, plenty of exercise time available - I'd go for a staffy from a reputable breeder (just google 'nanny dog') and make sure the kids are above it in the family pecking order

I didn't see this two years ago but a couple more thoughts from me.

We have two Jack Russells here in North London but whatever breed[ s] you look at, any two dogs form "a pack" and are loosely four times the trouble of one; they rev each other up!

Ingrid has already made my second point, that rescued dogs are an unknown and can be a potential risk. But an unashamed plug for Yv's/our chosen charity - we do lots with The Mayhew in Harlesden [ http://themayhew.org/ ]. They're one of many charities that rehome a variety of breeds and frequently rehome very young, very family friendly puppies.

Hi Mike, no flaming from me, I'm after opinions, but I'm not far off your thinking. The safety of my children is the first priority bar nothing. There was such a strong voice towards rescue dogs I just wanted to know if anyone had done it with a young family.

Wife is not too keen on Staffys, I know they are meant to be great dogs with kids, she has her mind set on a lab but I think they may be a bit too big for young kids. It's far enough away though to change opinions of course.

Back