The Football Thread - Season 2011/2012 - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name
Jamie
Edit My Images
Yes
So at 6.30pm Kroenke has his monthly meeting with Wenger to discuss club affairs. Rumour is they'll announce record profits in the region of £55m over the last 6 months that may be made available to Wenger for summer transfers. There's also rumour of there already being £160m available in the transfer kitty. Also under discussion is the removal of the £100k per week wage cap currently in place to allow us to bring in the top names and offer RVP a wage more in line with what he would receive else where.

It'll be an interesting night for Gooners to see what the future holds!

And here's a breakdown of the discussions: http://t.co/Zo3J1lvm

If we finish in 4th we have £55m to play with, if not we'll be approximately £45m worse off. Something about creek and paddle spring to mind. Even £55m won't achieve the overhaul we require, it would just about secure one top player at current prices!

Enjoyed the Chelsea game tonight - very open for a 1st leg game.

Not an impossible task ahead but 1:2 would have been so much better.

dinners said:
Enjoyed the Chelsea game tonight - very open for a 1st leg game.

Not an impossible task ahead but 1:2 would have been so much better.

I love watching Napoli play! Cavani is sure to fetch a hefty sum if he moves this summer!

West Ham do it the hard way again....

Going 2 nil up, conceding just before half time, getting your keeper sent off, no keeper on the bench, on loan midfield ends up in goal, go on to score 2 more goals and win 4-1 away from home - If Carlsberg did away wins……

From KUMB

Last edited:
Sorry I'm a bit behind.. But did I see West ham with a bid for Torres..

I think it was awarded for unsporting behaviour because the ref felt it was mocking the opponents. Whether it was right or not I'm undecided!

i can see why people would think that, but would he have been given it in open play if he was clear in on goal and showboated like that?

If not - what's the difference?

why on earth is rooney in the friendly againts holland when he is suspended for the first two games of the group?

why on earth is rooney in the friendly againts holland when he is suspended for the first two games of the group?

Because he is the best we have and is available. The other players can learn from him too. (it is not just about him being volatile, he is a very good player too)

Maybe he is going to made Skipper.

Time to get a bit tough with the Arsenal players, if they play that bad clearly they arent practicisng enough, time they got called in from their "rest" days and told to get serious or get out. You dont need 10+ £30m players you need a team and they arent at present, perhaps that nice Mr Wenger should start throwing boots at one or two, or maybe six or seven of them.
Even on a paltry £100k a week I'd expect a bit more "effort", Spurs seem to be doing it and paying less, its not about the money its about desire and they have none, havent had any for years which is why they keep falling at the final hurdle, only this year they started bad, improved a bit and have now gone down the pan again. They will be very lucky to finish above 8th place.

Matt

ps MONTHLY meeting, if this was a normal Company in that sort of problem, it would be a weekly meeting for sure.

Last edited:
Because he is the best we have and is available. The other players can learn from him too. (it is not just about him being volatile, he is a very good player too)

Maybe he is going to made Skipper.

the friendly is about learning from what other players can do. Having rooney in the team wll teach us nothing, especially considering he won't even be playing the first two games.

pointless

this is the selection for next week

Goalkeepers: Scott Carson (Bursaspor), Joe Hart (Manchester City), Robert Green (West Ham United)

Defenders: Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Leighton Baines (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Micah Richards (Manchester City), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur)

Midfielders: Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Tom Cleverley (Manchester United), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), James Milner (Manchester City), Scott Parker (Tottenham Hotspur), Ashley Young (Manchester United), Theo Walcott (Arsenal)

Forwards: Darren Bent (Aston Villa), Fraizer Campbell (Sunderland), Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Danny Welbeck (Manchester United)

Pointless - surely we should be trying out a striking combo for the Euros, or giving Bent/Defoe/whoever pitch time.

this is the selection for next week

Goalkeepers: Scott Carson (Bursaspor), Joe Hart (Manchester City), Robert Green (West Ham United)

Defenders: Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Leighton Baines (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Micah Richards (Manchester City), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur)

Midfielders: Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Tom Cleverley (Manchester United), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), James Milner (Manchester City), Scott Parker (Tottenham Hotspur), Ashley Young (Manchester United), Theo Walcott (Arsenal)

Forwards: Darren Bent (Aston Villa), Fraizer Campbell (Sunderland), Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Danny Welbeck (Manchester United)

Pearce OUT!!!

Why Barry, has been shocking for England of late. No Lampard, injured? Woudl rather see Lamps than Barry. Has Cleverly or Campbell played much, doesnt make sense to me. Would rather see Ox and Agbonlahor in the squad, and also Crouch/Defoe rather than Campbell.

Perhaps we're hoping to win the game LOL

Joking aside - I probably wouldn't have selected Rooney for this game but i can see an argument for it - if he's going to be playing in big matches (hoping we get through) then we need to see others playing with him as much as possible between now and then.

I'd have picked:

Hart
Smalling / Ferdinand / Jones / Cole
Cleverley / Carrick / Scholes / Young
Welbeck / Rooney

LOL

Last edited:
I'd have picked:

Hart
Smalling / Ferdinand / Jones / Cole
Cleverley / Carrick / Scholes / Young
Welbeck / Rooney

LOL

if we had that team though then we'd be second best wouldn't we :D:D you know what the say, the runner up is the first loser

if we had that team though then we'd be second best wouldn't we :D:D you know what the say, the runner up is the first loser

saying that, at least there would be a decent keeper in the starting 11 then - might give us a chance! ;)

hmm, definitely not a racist chant, wonder what this falls under??

Directly under the "Shut up you moaning sissy, stop wasting our time and stop giving the Daily Mail excuse to be in existence"

Directly under the "Shut up you moaning sissy, stop wasting our time and stop giving the Daily Mail excuse to be in existence"

originally saw it on the BBC website under their 'breaking news' section. had to search in 'net just to see if it was confirmed somewhere else. Turns out, that was the first place I found :(

Like I posted on Facebook last week.

Why is it that a football player being called an insulting name is reported by presenters and abhorred by the media because it's 'racial'...yet week in, week out, threats and abuse like "Snap his ****ing legs!" and other threats of violence is the acceptable, unreported norm? I think the balance is wrong somewhere......

So Ch 5 for me tonight. I quite like footy on a Thursday. Good turnout too.

Hope Giggs gets on for his 900th appearance tonight and as this is the only honour Fergie hasn't won it would be nice to progress.

Just scored - good start.

Through to the next round but made life difficult for ourselves again.

I know Fergie was keen to play as many of the players as he could that were coming back or needing a game but once again there was no need for that lack of composure at home in Europe.

A Bilbao should be a great atmosphere in the next round though.

Glad you enjoy Thursday night football phil, I used to hate it and everything about the Europa league. I have such mixed feelings about the carling cup final this weekend. Yes it's a trophy but it just feels like a booby prize, what does it really matter? More to us than the Europa to you I would think due to the lack of trophies, but it's still a lame competition. You must feel like progression in the Europa league is just second best like I do.

@ OT?
Our fans were embarrasing again

Goodness No.

San Mames - a real old style atmosphere.

Glad you enjoy Thursday night football phil, I used to hate it and everything about the Europa league. I have such mixed feelings about the carling cup final this weekend. Yes it's a trophy but it just feels like a booby prize, what does it really matter? More to us than the Europa to you I would think due to the lack of trophies, but it's still a lame competition. You must feel like progression in the Europa league is just second best like I do.

I really want to progress in the Europa League Joe. It might not be the Champions League but it's where we find ourselves and there's the potential for some good games with the teams left in it this year. Neither United or Fergie have won the Uefa Cup so that's also a nice incentive.

Is it a booby prize ? - The most important thing is the League Title and any cup is a bonus. Winning the league (or at least being in the running) is the measure of how happy I am with any season. If we were nowhere to be seen in the league then I guess I might view a cup differently.

My opinion of the league cup though is that its a cup for cups sake. We already have the FA cup - why have another cup.

We have the champions league - why have another european league?

The fact is the winner of the europa league and league cup are just 2nd best to the other competitions, league or otherwise.

right tom, time to put in your predictions

Chelsea v Bolton (chelsea)
Newcastle v Wolves (newcastle)
QPR v Fulham (draw)
West Brom v Sunderland (sunderland)
Wigan v Aston Villa (draw)
Man City v Blackburn (Man city)
Arsenal v Tottenham (Arsenal)
Norwich v Man Utd (Man u)
Stoke City v Swansea (Swansea)

right tom, time to put in your predictions

Chelsea v Bolton (chelsea)
Newcastle v Wolves (newcastle)
QPR v Fulham (draw)
West Brom v Sunderland (sunderland)
Wigan v Aston Villa (draw)
Man City v Blackburn (Man city)
Arsenal v Tottenham (Arsenal)
Norwich v Man Utd (Man u)
Stoke City v Swansea (Swansea)

Chelsea win
Newcastle win
QPR win
West Brom Draw
Wigan win
Man City obviously
Arsenal draw
Norwich lose
Stoke draw

My opinion of the league cup though is that its a cup for cups sake. We already have the FA cup - why have another cup.

You could argue any cup is just a cup for cups sake. Same goes for all competitions. The the FA Cup is held in higher regard but at the end of the day they both take the same amount of winning.

We have the champions league - why have another european league?.

I could go on all day about the Champions League and whether the existing format is good or not but whilst it exists as it currently does - the Europa League does at least provide European football to clubs that would be very unlikely to get into the Champions League.

The fact is the winner of the europa league and league cup are just 2nd best to the other competitions, league or otherwise.

The FA Cup and League Cup are just two different competitions contested for by the same teams and whilst the FA cup is held in higher regard, winning it doesn't make you a better side than winning the league cup. It's just a different cup.

Agree with the European thing though. The Uefa Cup (now Europa Cup) was always second to the European Cup (now Champions League) but that was because the two cups consisted of different teams that had qualified from different levels of their respective leagues.

The current Champions League / Europa League set up is a bit of a hotch potch because of the way different countries are represented but being TV driven I can see why it is the way it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back