430 EX remote trigger

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
OK any ideas on how to remotely trigger a Canon 430EX without spending £140 on a Canon wireless trigger.

I've tried using a low power flash and a slave unit. Unfortunately, although the flash fires once ( at full power I think ) it wont fire again. I suspect it's waiting to receive some information back from the 5D, which isn't going to happen.

I just needed to put a small amount of light in the corner of a shot and the 430 seemed a good idea, as I could adjust the output manually. I ended up using an older non dedicated flash but with only 2 power settings it was a bit hit and miss

The cheap wireless triggers wont work as they are not designed to work with dedicated flash units.Plus I suspect I'll have the same problems as with the slave. One pop and that's all.

:bang: When you stop the pain goes away

I've been doing a bit more research, and unless anyone know differently I don't think you can do what I want.

Apparently operating the flash in this way does not allow the trigger circuit to reset.Hence the system doesn't permit a further flash. :thumbsdown:

I believe there's an adaptor to use the 'Ebay' triggers with flashes such as the 430EX and 580EX, about £2.99 per adaptor IIRC.

I would assume that because they're designed to work with flashguns in conjunction with the triggers, they'll do exactly what you're looking for.

Does that help or shall I go back to bed? ;)

It would help further if you managed to get the link on to here ;)

I'd like to get my 430 to fire off camera......but like the Op, the thought of spending hard earned on the canon IR trigger makes me :puke:

That's the puppy!

Being the disorganised chap I am, I couldn't find the link in my +1000 bookmarks. I really should get them sorted... :bonk:

Someone needs to buy this and let me know how it works :D

I don't have an ebay account, so if the purchaser doesn't mind......a full review of it would be nice :)

:D

Already ordered'

Let you know when it arrives

Ordered a few days ago for my Sigma 500. Will do a short review then, but they have been bought and used by a lot of people over at strobist with only a few minor hiccups, very good for the price so I hear. Can't wait for mine to arrive.

Just received email that unit is on it's way. May be up to 15 days before it arrives.

I'll post as soon as I have a chance to test it.

I was about to post up & say that I had a trigger that worked with my 580 & also the 430, only cost me a few £ from eBay & then I realised that you'd posted up a link to the exact one that I have :bonk:

Works excellently but has the tendency to fire the flash continuously every now & again - just turn it off & then on again (Mr. Charlton's fix it all solution :LOL:) & it sorts itself out no problem (y)

Works excellently but has the tendency to fire the flash continuously every now & again - just turn it off & then on again (Mr. Charlton's fix it all solution :LOL:) & it sorts itself out no problem (y)

What the computer industry calls a hard reset

:LOL:

Someone needs to buy this and let me know how it works :D

I did, and it didn't. Battery was borked to start with and then, with a new battery, it would only recognise the signal intermittently.

your not filling me with the urge to rush onto fleabay and set up an account dod :eek:

Those remote triggers in the link above are the same as the ones you see on Ebay. I've got a trigger and 2 receivers and they work fine for me (with a 430 EX and an old Sunpak 4000AF)

Occasionally, one of them randomly fires the flash even with the trigger turned off, but that's about the only problem I've had. Even the original batteries are still working!

I got mine from a UK ebayer, but they did look pretty cheapo batteries :)

<edit to add> I'm using a 400D. <edit again> but you could see that from sig!

Back