Daily Waynes 365 (late entry :P)

Edit My Images
Yes
OK, so with the following threads i began...:

my aim to "go pro":
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=469191

Daughter pic with no flash etc...
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=470173

and the feedback / advise / etc ive recieved from other members on the forum, esp Phil V, I have decided to start a 365 - even though its a late start... so might be 100 short or so ;)...

anyway.. on this, i would appriciate any advice / critique / etc that anybody wishes to give me...

I go my remote transmitter today for flash's today, so took a couple of shots with them, as pointed out, i can see a big difference in the photo using off camera flash than just cam mounted.

601067_10151582539427150_471621119_n.jpg

Shot at f5 - 1/30th - ISO100
without any PP except to resize it to 800 px... I could of done with the reflector to the right, - to create a little fill..., and the milk bottle on the left imposes on the pic (out of setting)... perhaps i could of upped the iso more... but it was an impulse shot, because she got bored with learning her ABC writing so made a sea-saw lol.

I plan to go out to park with lil en tomorrow, so will get some outdoor pics :) - (i plan to say: regardless of weather - but if its TOO wet :p)

Last edited:
Welcome to the mad house (y) we're a very friendly lot in the crazy corner (y) spending plenty of time visiting and supporting each others challenge (y) I've added your tread to the sticky (y)

Interesting lighting choices on that photo, what it intentional having such a dark surrounding, it makes me thing of late nights finishing last minute homework :eek:

Matt

Matt, Sshhhhhhh, you know we are not allowed to mention crazy or mad as it puts people off, we are "sunshine haven" :)

Anyway, welcome to the group and you can start a 365 at any time of the year, you will just be finishing after some of us.
As Matt says, it does look like a late night homework session, it's interesting, but with so young a subject, I quite like brighter shots.

Well hello :wave:

I'm sure you will learn lots here - at the very least you have to take a photo every day ;)

Interesting lighting choices on that photo, what it intentional having such a dark surrounding, it makes me thing of late nights finishing last minute homework :eek:

Matt

well, I was just trying to light my daughter up on the shot... - got my wireless flash transmitter today (ebay special) to have a play with... - just wanted to see if it worked ok... noticed the recycle time on my cheap ebay flash is about 10x longer than my little more expensive (but still cheap) jessops one.. -get what you pay for - but reading some internet etc, the transmitters look to be "worth the money" to start off with... (to get a wire and hotshoe adapters would of been more than 20 quid... so :-s)

what i was aiming for was to get the background blacked out... i was sat on sofa, she was sat on table in front of me... - shes 3 but already knows alphabet etc, so we are working on her "penmanship" with her (learning to draw letters etc) which she loves - because its just a matter of making pictures lol

i tried to reshoot the shot with a little more light and without the milk bottle, but she got camera shy again :(

sadly my aim with the bg didnt result too well for her face :( - im going to take the kids to the park later (hopefully its dry for them),,, and what ive learnt over the last few days with ap/shutter etc for lighting/exposure will help improve pics outdoors too.

As Matt says, it does look like a late night homework session,
I actually named the image file "the schoolgirl" lol... it struck me like homework and getting bored...

it's interesting, but with so young a subject, I quite like brighter shots.
me too... but i wanted to have a play witht he lighting... still lots of work to be done though :( - but this is why ive decided to join the madhouse... - hopefully it will help to show some improvement :)

Well hello :wave:

I'm sure you will learn lots here - at the very least you have to take a photo every day ;)

i will easily take a photo every day, whether its uploaded on the day :-S - hopefully though.

:snip: - reference to wrong person, sorry :p :snip:

Last edited:
:wave::wave: Welcome and as already said by Sarah, you can start your 365 at anytime....

looking forward to seeing you progress... you will also get plenty of encouragement along the way :D

So my post for today... I went to the park with kids, but was a cold horrible day...

came away with a couple of well, shots. but nothing fantastic...
I was playing with DOF... and came with this:
486513_10151585491417150_248357779_n.jpg

I think i got the bg too blury... - but still trying to "control" the DOF...

before heading off to the park, I came up with this too:
306234_10151585504897150_1921021778_n.jpg

Last edited:
In your first shot, the OOF background is fine, but unfortunately there is no sharp area of focus on the baby, it appears to be on the hat, try to set a focus point to where the eye will be in the shot.
The food is nicely lit & the focus is spot on in this one, but watch for things coming into the shot, if you'd either composed closer or cropped the top and right hand side a bit you would have got rid of the distractions, also with food photography, make sure to remove crumbs on surface either at the time or in post production.
Hope that helps.

Baby on the swing - oof background is good, you just missed the focus on his eyes though

In your first shot, the OOF background is fine, but unfortunately there is no sharp area of focus on the baby, it appears to be on the hat, try to set a focus point to where the eye will be in the shot.

Baby on the swing - oof background is good, you just missed the focus on his eyes though

for the OOF BG thats good... the eyes, he turned his head as i pressed the shutter... looking at the nearest eye on the LCD it "looked alright"....
I was aiming to focus on his eye - i got told this in one of the other posts above :)

The food is nicely lit & the focus is spot on in this one, but watch for things coming into the shot, if you'd either composed closer or cropped the top and right hand side a bit you would have got rid of the distractions, also with food photography, make sure to remove crumbs on surface either at the time or in post production.
Hope that helps.

the crumbs i thought added to the chip on the dish.

i did rearrange some stuff, IE: scales were out of the shot, - tbf, it might of been better without the scales/etc... but there was a cloth on the side... when i saw the crumbs on the pic, i thought "it would of looked good with a bite out of a biscuit on the side..."
(not my entry for today, but two other shots from the food above)

oh i forgot to mention, im trying to avoid PP on this 365, to get a better photograph without work :) - i might change this at some point... but for now, :) - so without the crumbs, it would of needed to be before the shot. :)

188922_10151586381327150_610811069_n.jpg

the cloth by the cooker, and drop off the sideof the work surface spoilt it for me, but im guessing others might not agree?

69268_10151586381302150_409081454_n.jpg

on this one, the food isnt focused entirely... (i was holding the flash with one hand, and camera with the other... i moved a little :( )

Last edited:
Avoid PP, Oh the horror, that's a big part of my workflow. I get it right in camera, but I've always got an idea of what the finished shot will look like after a bit of PP :)

I might have to agree with you... :p - couldnt get SD card to read on laptop yesterday - unsure why, but i had to PP this :
482144_10151589575327150_1947755017_n.jpg

(however, im not sure if this crop would of been better?-
644355_10151589562937150_367624539_n.jpg

day 4 - 11.3.13 -
544153_10151589686767150_509896924_n.jpg

not so sure that my no PP methodology will work... i needed to drop the exposure a little and darken the clarity on this... still needs improvement though.. - it was freezing cold today though. but daughter still wanted to go to the park ( its a really nice park in stratford :) - if you got kids n live nearish ;) well worth it... just like going to the sea side with the massive sandpit :) )

talking of cold... i think i might start a theme... perhaps something cold tomorrow... :confused:

Last edited:
day 5 - 12.3.13
So, the aim was to capture some steam, and control the shadows with a second flash...
507_10151591412467150_1138222429_n.jpg

I managed partially to capture some of the coffees steam... and also to limit some of the harsh shadow... however, as you can see, it could of done with a lighter usage of flash on the right... (moved the flash away a little perhaps?...)
i could fix it in PP. (or try to that is) but for now :p

cheers Vince...

looking at other peoples work, its not going to be fabulous... but As i said, Im here to learn, so even if I only learn one thing this year, it'll still be worth it... :)

Im actually keeping two 365's going... ones a daily snapshot of my son (for the benefit of granparents, aunts n uncles abroad) the other on here... I regret to say I missed yesterday (12.3.13) of my son :( - not even a camera phone pic!

anyway...

600183_10151593569142150_69845348_n.jpg

day 6... - i tried to do the reflective thing... this was just using a black table - a light above, and a black case (with camping stove in, because it was to hand) for the bg... used lightroom to mod a bit of the exposure on the bg.

i dont think its noise in the reflection, but the "grain" of the table (its an ikea table ;))

Last edited:
It looks a little under exposed to me. How did you light it?

well, i adjused the bg exposure with the brush tool in lightroom... not sure if thats the exposure...
the lighting was an overhead lamp.

obviously, the correct exposure is something I need to aim for properly :p

do you mean the edges of the car (like the A post-windowscreen support ETC and the edges... i think that might be my bad for beeing heavy handed with the brush :( )

@Vince, will try more - i just tried this, because i noticed a bit of a reflection in the table from a cup... and seeing the "cheap studio setup thread" with perspex etc, i thought id see what this could do.

anyway, heres todays...
581904_10151594626112150_1269038771_n.jpg

Last edited:
I meant it looks too dark all over.

Todays is cute - but looking up babies noses is a bit of a nono. Eyes could do with brightening a touch too.

Todays is cute - but looking up babies noses is a bit of a nono.
(y)

Eyes could do with brightening a touch too.

:bang: his left eye always seems to come out near black... ill try a play with LR to see if i can fix his eyes - i just dropped the saturation to B&W conversion and crop so far - i need to sort some good PP skills out i think :p - and therefore set up my space eating desktop ;) - but will try and expose a little longer next time.

my wife doesnt like this because hes too messy... - babies are messy :p

Day 8 - taken using my galaxy ace - so quite a rubbish snapshot... (tbh, its prob one of the worst shots ive taken [still, better than some though ;) lol])
45704_10151598657307150_740785957_n.jpg

Day 9:
522731_10151598649972150_416808819_n.jpg

Okay so my first real question is have you calibrated your screen that your editing on because without wishing to sound harsh the colours are not good they're over saturated to my eye, also I suspect your brightness maybe off too, day 4 was clearly massively over exposed now RAW is good for rescuing a file but even RAW files are not mirical files at some point the data just isn't there to either pull the detail out of a under exposure or put it back where it's been burn out in an over exposure, and all this will end up with is grey areas where you've tried to recover blown areas :shrug:

Also what focus mode are you using, eg, one shot, ai servo etc and are you using single or multiple focus points? as it's very hard on a number of you photo's to work out where you've actually focused :shrug:

Back