Beginning some "studio" work. Equipment ETC..

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,

So heres the basic story.

I have been taking up photography as a hobby of sorts. Ive been into it since my first child was born and bought a "half decent" camera..

Well, I bought a Nikon D3000. Until now, Ive had a bit of fun with it... Got some pretty good shots etc even in pitch black surroundings.

Now, the main focus of my "hobby" has been the changes of my kids...

I've not got an emense amount of equipment, but have spent some money on some photos of my kids etc in a studio. - It was a fun day out, and for the money was more than worth it... However, I could of done just as good...

Ive decided that I would dip my hand in me pocket... with the intention of taking some pics of my sisters and brothers new babies ( two new borns in the same month ;) )...

I've bought the following to aid me in a "studio kit":
Lighting / umbrellas:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140911404288?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Backdrop:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390431817967?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I can later buy further materials etc for a backdrop etc - and a bit of bodging (clamps / curtains etc) can be used with the backdrop to expand my "equipment".

On top of it, I have extensive ideas for props (from old car seats - to everyday toys - to massive bath sheets etc)

The only thing I might have a problem with is: Flash
Ive always used lighting and the camera built in flash up until now.

I did purchase an external jessops flash, but it didnt work with the nikon sensor (it just fires)... which sometimes results in crap images (well this might be my skill ;) )

Basically, what i am aiming for is: build a nice portfolio of work up, (offer some free photoshoots to people... and they view the images: if they like them, they pay for the disc of images, if not, no loss for them etc) just to get some more experience into the mix etc...

Ive never done any studio work before though... Ive taken a lot of images, and can always come out great with them... So, im considering going into "the business" on a casual basis to get going...

Does anybody have any useful advice for me here?

Flash guns etc that I can buy? ETC...

I do know that my equipment isnt the best etc, but if things go well, I would definately look to invest and improve etc. (however, some of the best photos dont need expensive cameras etc)

Like I say:
Ive taken photos at weddings for friends/family.
pics of kids etc...

I am however looking to set this up as an additional income for my family.

any advice is appriciated.

Frankly, your lighting isn't just "not the best" - it's the worst, and really not suitable.

There are a number of problems with it, in no particular order
1. VERY low power output. To use it at anything approaching a reasonable shutter speed you'll need to use a high ISO, which will impact on image quality.
2. Although they lack power, they will APPEAR to be very bright to your subjects, they won't like them.
3. They are not adjustable for power
4. The light is uncontrolled, and will go everywhere, destroying any attempts at lighting creativity
5. The colour rendition will be way out, colours will not be accurate, especially reds, oranges and yellows.

The ideal solution is a studio lighting kit, especially if you want to earn additional income. A cheaper alternative will be 3rd party flashguns, although they have disadvantages too and take a long time to recycle, which is pretty poor if you're photographing kids.

My advice would be to either spend more money on better equipment or to take outdoor portraits which, if done well, can be stunning.

But your first step should be to practice with what you do have, post the results on here and ask for feedback. You won't get any from me for the next week because I'm literally just setting off for Focus on Imaging, but plenty of other people will help

Welcome to TP :)

There are a lot of threads on getting started in portraiture, like this one http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=455817

It's possibly not as easy as you seem to think, especially if you want to make some money at it. You need studio flash equipment, that starts at around £200 for an entry-level one-head kit. Then you need basic understanding of how light works, what the different modifiers do and how to use them. Then a lot of practise and build from there.

It takes more than throwing up a couple of umbrellas and a light bulb - which is what you've bought.

As Richard and Garry have said, welcome and be prepared for a lot more learning.

Before you go any further, have a think about whether some flashguns or proper studio gear fit your immediate needs best (You'll end up with both).

Once you've worked that out, you'll be able to ask more specific questions or do more specific searches.

Frankly, your lighting isn't just "not the best" - it's the worst, and really not suitable.

Well, thats a little "crap" for me lol. but Like i said, I am beginning etc. it only cost me 80 quid for the two sets so not a massive amount of waste.

coupled with a leisure battery and Inverter im sure the lighting could be beneficial in lowlit outdoor shoots? (or am i being optimistic?)

- most of my shots so far have been outdoor shots... capturing the kids at play etc... (can get a lot of fantastic shots etc with different backgrounds with pretty much just a camera)

Thanks for the info though, and once ive had time to practice with the lighting etc, I will post up some shots.
(im right to assume its things like flikr etc then link to the image on there right?)

@Hoppy...

I dont think its easy :) - i know lots of hard work goes into setting up and taking that "perfect shot"...

cheers for the link, ill read through it properly later - looks useful what ive read so far...

@Weealien

thanks for the link.

@Phil

Well, i did some pricing up etc, and the backdrop is pretty much needed - for £30 i didnt see that it could be much cheaper *unless from china directly, and risk shipping/tax/etc charges*

the lighting improves my dark living room (only a tiny window, and one small light on the rather low ceiling)

i practiced already with a few table lamps etc, and it improved shots to just flash etc...

before I go spending mega money on stuff, I plan to look into the flash guns etc too.

my camera though - do you think it could be an idea to change the camera before proceeding? not long after I bought the D3000 the D3100 with video was available for a fraction more...

If I were you, and not knowing what I thought I knew before not being sure what I knew or didn't know, I would wait for the continuous flash 'BS' system to come out. Apparantly it features all the latest developments in the'black light' 'hard box' 'Shadow Chaser' system developed specifically for people seeking 'Black light tech', and thats BS.

Hope that helps!

The BS system is also very adaquately demonstrated by this thread.

I may get banned for this but are pathetic creations like this thread really nessessary :thumbsdown:

I don't understand how both of these can be true:thinking:.

... (can get a lot of fantastic shots etc with different backgrounds with pretty much just a camera

i practiced already with a few table lamps etc, and it improved shots to just flash etc...

Anyone capable of "fantastic shots" ought to be able to understand how to get a decent flash shot. Then again, they should understand why that continuous lighting is inadequate, and why a minor camera upgrade of a consumer camera has virtually no effect on your photography.

I may get banned for this but are pathetic creations like this thread really nessessary :thumbsdown:

Not today at least ;)
However there are people of all levels on here, some have a "clue" and some come to learn.

Its nice when those that know, help those that don't rather than berating them ;)

Hi guys,

So heres the basic story.
snip
However, I could of done just as good...
snip
The only thing I might have a problem with is: Flash
Ive always used lighting and the camera built in flash up until now.
snip
well this might be my skill
snip
Ive never done any studio work before though...
snip
Does anybody have any useful advice for me here?
snip

Yep,
You have open to you a single light source that will cost you nothing.. It is the best light source in the solar system.....:D
Get a couple of 5 in 1 reflectors, different sizes (these are very cheap) £10ish each & then practise. Post these pics up for critique & go from there.

I don't understand how both of these can be true:thinking:.

Anyone capable of "fantastic shots" ought to be able to understand how to get a decent flash shot. Then again, they should understand why that continuous lighting is inadequate, and why a minor camera upgrade of a consumer camera has virtually no effect on your photography.

sorry,

my post wasnt that clear: on outdoor shots lighting is easy - its just knowing the angle to take the shot from (sunshine is a brilliant lightsource)

indoors, its a different story... its pretty hard to direct the light indoors through a small window ;)

I realise that I am not an expert, but I do wish to learn etc and improve :)

@ Steve,,,

cheers for the input mate. much appriciated ... :s

@Pete

got some 5 in 1's already :)

[Edit Additional:]
OK, let me be clearer

We have a couple of kids. My youngest is just 7 months old now.

This picture:
542584_10151566025307150_1337991205_n.jpg

Was one taken in my home - just a quick Grab the camera and shoot kinda deals... Auto flash etc...

However: its dark... would look a lot "cleaner" with a clear background - no chair / doorway etc... - this is one of the reasons I purchased the backdrop :)

I can take some decent shots outdoors, and even do some quick editing to remove objects that shouldnt be there etc (ie: theres a bin in the middle of a shot... so remove the bin etc)...
(ive actually got a nice photo on display in my livingroom when my daughter is calling my son over to play on the trampoline in the park, right in front of her was a bin... Ive taken the shot, including the bin... and went over, over the bin, took another shot, and pieced them together etc... with some editing to copy a pathway etc... (cant find the original files - i copied loads to dvds a few weeks back, - as i had over 100gb on my hd - but will try to upload them later...)

I know my images arent *fantastic*... :p - perhaps i used the wrong wording in my post above... im not claiming to be an expert - infact i know i have a lot of learning to do... - which is what i intend to do :)

I plan to start learning by doing... Im an hands on learner :p - however, Guidance is always useful...

522586_10151566057017150_1119099132_n.jpg

529784_10151566058507150_1618471873_n.jpg

and one of my early shots:
295513_10151566057497150_1451370234_n.jpg

Feel free to give me some feedback on these - but I didnt use anything bar my camera for these shots :) (except the three kids together - I used a tripod too)

My main intention ATM is obviously to improve... - and one improvement can be to increase my ability indoors... etc :)

sorry,

my post wasnt that clear: on outdoor shots lighting is easy - its just knowing the angle to take the shot from (sunshine is a brilliant lightsource)

indoors, its a different story... its pretty hard to direct the light indoors through a small window ;)

I realise that I am not an expert, but I do wish to learn etc and improve :)

As I said, you're just beginning on this journey, but to help you not fall foul of the 'mob' you should avoid telling people you take 'fantastic' photo's. Other people will tell you when you start (and that won't happen for a while).

I'm afraid you're still at the stage where you're getting 'the right amount of light' and 'good light' mixed up.

'on outdoor shots lighting is easy - its just knowing the angle to take the shot from (sunshine is a brilliant lightsource)'
Sunshine can be a good light source (brilliant is accurate here but misused) but it also brings it's own challenges, and whilst you say that you understand how to use it the outdoor photo just says 'correctly(ish) exposed', there's no real considered lighting, you were fortunate enough to have been blessed with an overcast sky, giving flat shadowless light.

The 'improvement' you see from using table lamps instead of your flash is due to the fundamental you've stumbled upon without realising. The table lamps move in relation to your subject so you had some control. The onboard flash used without care gives no control. However, the lesson isn't that the table lamps are better, it's that the control is better. What you need to understand is how to control the flash (position and quality of light).

You don't really want critique on those yet, none of them make it to 'photograph'. A photograph is something which we create, a snap is what we get when we point our camera at what's in front of us and press the shutter. Could any of those pictures be reproduced by your wife with a cameraphone?

It might be 'hard' to direct the light indoors with a small window - but that's exactly why you should do it. You will learn the nature of light. Whereas it's 'easy' to pop up the flash, but the picture will be crap.

Hi Studio Work. The best advice I can give you apart from practice, practice, practice is to join your local camera club. There you'll meet lots of like minded people ranging from complete beginners to experts. They usually have lots of learning opportunities, there will be people there who've earned money from their photography, they'll run photography competitions and have some workshops on things like studio lighting etc.

If you're lucky enough to have several photography groups near you I'd visit all of them to find out what suits you. The first camera club I joined was very old fashioned. I was the only person with a digital camera. Pah they said, new fangled rubbish they said (in their heads, they were nice:)) but I won the first competition with one of my photos and went on from there. But they taught me lots. However, I found another club that was more forward thinking and encouraged you to think outside the box. It suited me better. They ran studio lighting courses with models and teachers. That's where I learnt how to use flashes and understand light. I also learnt a lot from photography magazines.

Good luck. I started where you are now. Lots of photographers have helped me on the way and are still helping me and I like to pass it on so ask away if you have any questions.

Andrea

It might be 'hard' to direct the light indoors with a small window - but that's exactly why you should do it..

Nicely put Phil,

To the OP:
The way we are suggesting will allow you to learn with out costing anything except time.
Taking note of your camera settings will allow you to replicate your pictures.

Do you critique your own pictures?

As I said, you're just beginning on this journey, but to help you not fall foul of the 'mob' you should avoid telling people you take 'fantastic' photo's. Other people will tell you when you start (and that won't happen for a while).
Misuse of words i guess.

I'm afraid you're still at the stage where you're getting 'the right amount of light' and 'good light' mixed up.
I understand that you dont need a lot of light for all pictures... its about using the light available to you etc :)
- im not sure if you mean that I dont think its "good light" meaning its too dark or?

What you need to understand is how to control the flash (position and quality of light).

It might be 'hard' to direct the light indoors with a small window - but that's exactly why you shoIuld do it. You will learn the nature of light. Whereas it's 'easy' to pop up the flash, but the picture will be crap.

Well, thats good advice :) reflecting the light from the window hitting the wall on the other side back into the picture ETC... right?

I know the "Easy" option isnt always the best option :)

@Stev
are they worth the money, or would it be better to invest more in it?

@Pete
I "mentally" note my camera settings etc, but the camera notes them on the image files too..

"Critique" my own photos... of course not ;) - nah, seriously, yes... I always see a problem in my pictures... - and have spent many hours editing in photoshop etc

- however, laptop doesnt have PS installed and PC was put in shed when we moved here :(

@Peachy...
Always practicing when i can :)
looking through youtube etc... however, I guess youtube is what convinced me to purchase the light kit above... (if a powerstrip & plug to bulb converter can be a decent softbox, then perhaps this should be adequate? etc :p)

Ill upload some of my pics of living room window lighting later...

All I can say is I use them each side of a hilite with a interfit strobe to light them from the front
As a lot of people say it is about controlling light not power
I have used them for portrait photography with a 90cm octobox successful
It is just some thing for you to look in to as they screw in to the holders you have
Only you can decide what to invest it depends on how often you are and how you use your lights if you looking for rapid flashes as your kids run round no if they are static posed I'd say yes
As I say I'm happy as they do what I bought them for in my hilite and with a umbrella not expensive if damaged when out
I can use them with a inverta and one of the 12v engine starter power packs
Reading your first post you are going to need better equipment to do it properly but I suggested these so you can use what you had bought and start to learn to do studio flash photography where the lighting is adjusted manually

Last edited:
I understand that you dont need a lot of light for all pictures... its about using the light available to you etc :)
- im not sure if you mean that I dont think its "good light" meaning its too dark or?...

Like I said before, classic newbie mistake.

Light - the quality and direction of light falling on the subject

Exposure - the measurement of the amount of light falling on the subject.

You need to get your head around this. Before you can move forward with lighting, you need to understand what correct exposure is.
A picture can be very dark or very light and both will be correctly exposed. However photographs can also be dark medium or bright but be incorrectly exposed. If that's confusing:

A photo of a bride in a snow scene would be close to almost completely white - would be very bright but correctly exposed (known as high key)

A Photo of a black cat in a dark room will be close to almost completely black - would be very dark but correctly exposed (known as low key)

Most of our images have an average(ish) range of tones. If an average image shows as bright then it's overexposed, if it shows as dark it's underexposed.
Your indoor shots above are both underexposed. The outside shot of your daughter is possibly 1/3 stop overexposed and the seagull is exposed correctly.

There are entire books written about exposure, I suggest picking up Bryan Pattersons 'understanding exposure' which despite being the best book on the subject is woefully inadequate in teaching you how to judge exposure in the digital age, it'll teach you about exposure - it just misses out some modern techniques.

And none of that is about lighting(y)

@stev - cheers, guess I will stick with what I have for now, and then save up and invest some in that case - therefore expanding what i buy will do ~:)

@Phil
Cheers for that - will pick up some books... and concentrate more on exposure.

the seagull i thought was about what I needed to "aim" for in terms of lighting...

on the daughter outside shot you say 1/3rd over exposed... this is because of how bright the BG is? - some extra lighting on the front - IE: reflectors etc could of helped there? - thereby evening out the exposure?

and then lower iso / faster shutter ETC right

- i know i can use the blend mode of multiple layers to fix some exposure issues for over exposure in PS etc... but its better to fix the problem in the actual shot - right?

(these pics are straight from the camera BTW - no PP or w/e...

@Phil
Cheers for that - will pick up some books... and concentrate more on exposure.

the seagull i thought was about what I needed to "aim" for in terms of lighting...
It's not lighting it's exposure:bang:
on the daughter outside shot you say 1/3rd over exposed... this is because of how bright the BG is? - some extra lighting on the front - IE: reflectors etc could of helped there? - thereby evening out the exposure?

and then lower iso / faster shutter ETC right

No it's because the background is darker than average. I don't know what mode you shoot in but -exp comp or faster shutter lower iso smaller aperture, but it's a small amount.

- i know i can use the blend mode of multiple layers to fix some exposure issues for over exposure in PS etc... but its better to fix the problem in the actual shot - right?

(these pics are straight from the camera BTW - no PP or w/e...

Forget blending and fancy PS tricks, get the fundamentals right.

If you enjoy this as a hobby, you'll spend the next 20 years learning stuff, don't try to run with software before you've learnt to walk with a camera.Like most people when they pick up a camera, you think of it as a tool. It's closer to a musical instrument, you can spend a lifetime practicing and never be better than OK, or you can grasp it and put art into it and be a virtuoso in months - it's a mix of the art and the science. Those underexposed shots could be saved in PP without any fancy blending tricks, they're simply underexposed. But will they ever be great photographs? I'd tweak the exposure and save them for posterity.

It's not lighting it's exposure:bang:

sorry, Exposure, in my mind i knew what i was saying... Aim for this exposure - then worry about the rest later.

No it's because the background is darker than average. I don't know what mode you shoot in but -exp comp or faster shutter lower iso smaller aperture, but it's a small amount.

OK:
A= Ap Priority (then let the camera worry about the shutter
S = shutter and let the camera worry about Ap...
M is worry about it all myself...

I think on this I on S? - cant remember exactly..

Forget blending and fancy PS tricks, get the fundamentals right.

I'd tweak the exposure and save them for posterity.

i get you here... but I have had plenty of experience on photoshop ETC. - so software isnt a problem of mine... but I understand the whole point of sorting it camera side etc.

I did have a little play with just my camera and the window today... And messing with the settings I could see dramatic differences...
- I'll have to get a chance to spend a few hours and ill do some lighting and exposure etc.

I did have a little play with just my camera and the window today... And messing with the settings I could see dramatic differences...
- I'll have to get a chance to spend a few hours and ill do some lighting and exposure etc.

Have you a reflector to use opersit the window this will give you some fill

my reflectors are at sisters house atm, left them there when went round last time...

So here are a few of my shots that i took earlier (cropped a couple of them, but the lighting/exposure ETC is straight off camera)

575944_10151569658397150_1026822879_n.jpg

312 - F7.1 1/200 ISO100

485895_10151569658422150_75235395_n.jpg

299 - F5.6 1/200 ISO100

208534_10151569658517150_1338207536_n.jpg

303 - F7.1 1/200 ISO100

535607_10151569658557150_734528621_n.jpg

304 - F7.1 1/200 ISO100

733927_10151569658602150_79180826_n.jpg

309 - F7.1 1/200 ISO100

733838_10151569671972150_597476100_n.jpg

312 - F7.1 1/200 ISO100

and this one... was part of a set..

522618_10151569671962150_696101190_n.jpg

237 - F8 1/200 ISO400

420178_10151569703827150_1465245591_n.jpg

234 - F13 1/100 ISO400

some where clearly over exposed, but ive chosen ones which look "ok" to me in general...

am I wrong? (good chance I am I guess?)

Last edited:
They're about a million miles away from what you want them to be. The issues are fundamental. On camera flash is totally unsuitable for creating a 'studio' type shot.

I can see you were aiming for a plain background, but by using 2 different sheets you've just created more 'clutter'.

A clean white background requires careful lighting and placement of subjects.

For now I'd forget the 'studio' ideas and concentrate on learning the nature of light. I wrote a reply to someone a while ago, I'll dig it out and post it for you. He had the same issues trying to create a studio by standing a subject in front of a background and blasting them with on camera flash.

The posing needs some work too. Take a look through the People sharing section to see what you should be aiming for.

Why don't you take the kids outdoors and see what you get with natural light.
Take Phil's advice and have a look through the people and portrait section. There are some brilliant child photographers in there that use natural light.

@phil

i didnt get them to pose... I was just asking the older two to look at the camera, n makin funny noises to make my youngest look... (as you can see in 304 above, my daughter is still watching tele - I just asked them to sit there etc and they had cbeebies on :) )

i'll look through the People sharing section...

when you say the issues are fundamental, do you mean its certain areas that need concentrating on or (with fundamental being "core" or "central"?) the whole photo has a long list of problems?

with the two diff colour sheets, I thought the white one blended in better than the black sofa it was up against..., and the curtain on the backdrop i only have one of those (the other one being over the back door atm :p)

As said, I was more bothered with the "exposure" of the photo... did I manage to sort that out - i really want to move from the "it'll do for a picture" to the '"wow" artwork' if you understand - and i know that'll not happen over night (im "only" 28, so [hopefully] plenty of time to learn still :p).

@Lisa, I'll do that, but its a long walk to the park /open space and too cold for that atm. I actually prefer to take pics when they are playing and running around...

I will look through other stuff... and obviously keep "trying"...

I was linked to strobist info on the lighting, and the "lighting 101" seems really useful.. - I wish I had seen it before I bought the stuff up top though...

- ive got some of the "basics" - ie: second tripod etc, so even then its not a massive deal - the "basic light kit" which i would of needed to buy would of been a remote trigger / brolly / tripod brolly stand thingy...

and it even mentions snoods / gels / etc too.. which im guessing i wont use yet - (perhaps with the exception of flash gels)?

so, obviously i knew the poses needed serious work :) - i wasnt too fussed about the "perfect pose" or w.e. just "sit down and lets take a couple of shots..."

so Im really sorry to be thick on this but these questions:

turn flash off? - or use external off camera flash in addition to window light? or just use window light and reflectors?

Still need to expose better? - and could you point out a pic and say the problems (im really sorry to be stupid on this: just you saying about 1/3 stop under exposed, im not sure if you opened a program, or you saw it with your eye or?)

Lighting / nature of light - minimize shadows you mean - reflect it / bounce it back etc?
ive found this link...
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/natural-light-photography.htm

(ahhh, just found this on the same site about exposure too :)
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/digital-exposure-techniques.htm - not read it all, just scanned it, but ...

By fundamental I mean 'core' 'central' the whole photo has a long list of problems.

I'll take the 3rd picture of the 2 kids as an example:

1, On camera flash - it's created flat lighting to the subject, no modelling and the only shadow is the harsh under chin shadow which will never look good.

2, Odd mixed background is a no-no, you're better off forgetting trying to recreate a 'studio' until you understand how it all works. There's nothing wrong with people shot in a natural environment, look at some good portraits and stop trying to recreate something that's technically tricky. Concentrate on capturing your subject.

3, Camera position, generally, get on a level with your subject. If you're not on their level it has to be for a reason, ie it adds something photographically. these just look like they're looking up at you because you're stood taking their photo.

4, I know you never attempted to pose them, but they both look uncomfortable, if 2 people are in the same photograph there should be a connection. If there's no 'connection' that has to be pronounced too, as that'd be the point of the photo.

5, The outfits they're wearing get in the way, they're wrong in so many ways. But as guidance avoid clashes, large logos, writing etc. The boy is lost behind his PJs the girl's PJs would work if the top and bottom matched and the socks and hat weren't competing for attention. The girl in the PJ's with the hat would work, creating a juxtaposition between PJs and hat, that's a story.

The only plus is that you've got both kids looking at the camera, but they both ought to be smiling, the boy looks perplexed.

I've said this before in answer to 'what do I need to shoot a portrait?'
A camera
A light source
A subject.

The important aspect of the portrait is the viewers relationship with the subject. Everything that's not 'the subject' should add context. So a plain background is a cop out in some ways, but a failed plain background just becomes a mess, it's getting in the way.

As for shadows, we don't minimise them, we use them. It's shadows that create form, look at your pictures, the subjects are almost 2 dimensional, created by straight on flash. Window light or off camera flash will just show form.

You need to learn to stop looking at the subject when you're looking at photo's. Examine the lighting, choice of camera position, posing, composition.

I'm sure when you look at the photo's you see something great - your kids(y). What the rest of us see is messy backgrounds, thoughtless posing and ugly light:thumbsdown:.

@Phil.
Thanks.

I seriously wanted a straight to the point answer like that...

so in ur numbering:
1) so get my flash off camera - and until that happens use external ambient light

2) aye :) (/me takes down the background frame over fireplace)

3) i actually knew this, but wth i didnt get on their level for these for i dont know... (own worst enemy on that one :bang:

4) ok. well this refers also to the "no photoshoot is a waste of time" article i read on the strobist website... - cleaned my car, and it looked particularly clean, i thought - I could take a picture of this... = with the best ability possible... :p
- i think i need to think about the whole picture, and not concentrate only on exposure, like i was here... but in general worry about the picture, but pay particularly extra attention to the thing im learning etc...

5)
so, try to keep the clothing simular: IE: if one person has a purple dress, wear a purple tie to match etc (wedding style of clothing etc)

the juxtaposition you mention... OK... so:
when my girl was born, i put her tiny hand around my one finger to show the size difference etc.. ? thats what you mean right - showing comparision between two objects?

or having a colour flame in a miserable/cold black and white photo.?

I'm sure when you look at the photo's you see something great - your kids. What the rest of us see is messy backgrounds, thoughtless posing and ugly light
this is exactly the kind of honest answer i need...

no point in pussyfooting around.. give it straight :) - but instead of the "its ****"... its useful with the "its ****, BECAUSE..."

so thanks.

No worries. I'm glad you found it useful.

We all do it BTW, I chose a photo for my website front page of a grooms mum crying, with the b&g out of focus in the foreground. What I saw was a technically good image showing some real emotion.

My missus gave me a proper telling off because apparently 'no woman would want to be shown pulling a face like that'.

What I saw as a great piece of wedding photojournalism was apparently just an unflattering portrait.

Back