Eh can you take a tripod as carry on luggage??

Name
Charlene
Edit My Images
Yes
Is may be a silly question but as the title says, can you take a tripod as carry on luggage on a flight?

Would it fit within a bag of the maximum given dimensions for that airline? if so, yes you can.

So long as it can fit in a bag like already said i cant see it being a problem

Brilliant, thanks for the replies. I was getting a bit worried that was sacrificing clothes for nothing lol

Best thing is to check with the airline in advance.

We used Easyjet earlier this year and I had to cram my camera bag inside another piece of hand luggage as couldnt have it as a separate cabin item.

Ryanair I would not trust with a bargepole they charge for everything imaginable in my experience with them and are the one airline I would never fly with again.

As stated above check with the airline you're flying with us I'm sure they may have policies regarding tripods and whether you can carry a tripod as hand luggage, in theory it may also depends on where you're travelling too and returning from, you may well be able to travel out of the UK with a tripod in hand luggage it's possible that the security agencies of other countries may have different policies also which could prevent you returning to the UK with the tripod in hand luggage

Contacted Monarch last week, stated no problem providing it conforms with hand luggage size and weight

One tip I got was to make sure that I retracted the legs first (y)

It seems every time I go abroad the different airlines, at each end, enforce their rules more or less harshly randomly. You may get to where you are going with no problem, but may have someone a bit stricter coming back.

I was away last week with Jet2, and while I had no problems, coming back they made a point of getting the metal frame out that they use to check bag dimensions prominently, and they do this at the gate, not when you check in, giving you less time to change anything not within the rules. And there is obviously time constraints at that point which may force you just to habd over any cash they are asking for. :bang:

I didn't see them checking anybody though. I did see them telling a few women to put their handbags into the other carry on luggage they had, as it was classed as another hand luggage item. If the tripod is not in a bag, or by being attached to the outside makes the bag too large, then you may have problems. :shrug:

I always put my tripod in the case the goes in the hold of the plane, and had to find a tripod that fit in my case. All the other camera gear goes on the plane with me.

If I take a tripod, it goes in the hold baggage - if they decided that it wasn't suitable as hand baggage (let's face it, they could and have been used as weapons), the security check where it would be rejected is far to late to let you pack it elsewhere! Better safe than sorry. The space that would free up in the hand baggage can then be used for the pants/socks etc that the tripod's taken up in the main bag.

TBH, I rarely take a "proper" tripod abroad these days, I tend to take a Gorillapod (SLR Zoom), a clamp type support and a Pod (beanbag) which between them cover most needs.

Back