Question regarding Printing sizes

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi
Is there some software out there that will convert multiple pictures to a set printing size ie 10 x 8 @ 300 dpi ?

I am new to digital photography in general so apologies if this is a stupid question.

At the moment I have been using photoshop to either resize the individual photo or crop to a set size ie 6x4 or 10x8 but this will obviously be quite consuming if I have to do this for all my pictures I want to print.

I take all my pictures at full res which gives 3648 x 2736 pixels @ 4:3rds ratio.

If I send them off through Asda or Photobox for example without resizing myself first, and select 10x8 as the printing size am I correct to assume that some of my pictures (depending on the resolution) will either have a boarder around them (or on one side) or have part of the picture cut off.

Again apologies if this is a silly question but im only just starting to get my head around taking pictures, let alone printing them off.

Thanks in advance.

Adobe PS will do this for you... you need to set up an 'action' and then 'batch' convert the image folder in question using the action you've made...then just leave it to chug through the lot.

So you meed to find:
New Action/record ...
Use a test image and record the actions you want to do.

e.g.
1. images size/res
2. save as
3. close

Ounce you've made the action you want, you can then 'batch convert' the whole image folder using your new action.

Something like that. :thinking: Get reading your help file. (y)

Adobe PS will do this for you... you need to set up an 'action' and then 'batch' convert the image folder in question using the action you've made...then just leave it to chug through the lot.

So you meed to find:
New Action/record ...
Use a test image and record the actions you want to do.

e.g.
1. images size/res
2. save as
3. close

Ounce you've made the action you want, you can then 'batch convert' the whole image folder using your new action.

Something like that. :thinking: Get reading your help file. (y)

Thank you for that, I will give it a try, and read the help file (y)

Or if you want a really easy and fast way to do it then download JPEGcrops. just set the size ratio you want, position the crop where you want it and click the crop button.

I can go through 200 pictures in about 10 minutes. It saves the crops to another folder so your originals are untouched and it does a lossless save so there is no recompressing and added jpeg artifacts. Oh and it is freeware :)

Or if you want a really easy and fast way to do it then download JPEGcrops. just set the size ratio you want, position the crop where you want it and click the crop button.

I can go through 200 pictures in about 10 minutes. It saves the crops to another folder so your originals are untouched and it does a lossless save so there is no recompressing and added jpeg artifacts. Oh and it is freeware :)

Have just downloaded and will have a look.
Thank you also.

Looks very easy to use and will save a great deal of time. Thanks.

If you haven't already realised... when you go to the 'open' dialog to select what file to crop - highlight a lot and open them all at once. A slow computer will probably handle 50 or so at once. Something faster might do the whole 200 that i normally have as a print batch. You still only crop one at a time but they just scroll up the screen as you click crop.

Out of curiosity, how does the crop program know where to crop, or would it just crop taking the distance from the center of the image?

Its just that I would have thought that with pictures having different points of interest it would be hard to batch process them and keep the right proportions if that makes sense!

The one I'm referring to you just move the crop to the bit you want and click. Think of it just as a tool for clipping the files to the right proportions for printing - not an editing program.

Thanks, that makes sense it was the thought of something processing 200 images on its own that threw me!

No you can load them all in then work your way through them quickly. Move the crop position about then click and on to the next picture.

Yep, tried it myself and its as easy as RobertP's explaination.
Quite a neat little piece of software, im glad I posted now as I was worried that I was asking a stupid question :D

Back