Shutter counts, its all in the picture

Name
mel
Edit My Images
Yes
shutter count seems to be the topic within my little community at the moment, how do we get to find out on cameras like the d40, d40x, d60, d80.
Nikon says that theres no feature for it, but they are wrong (in a fashion). its all in the picture data (exif). i got to find out by playing with the picture data and this is how i did it!!

open cs2/3
open image in to PS
if its a raw file then just click ok to put image into PS
then click on "file"
then "file info"
that opens all the info on that image
then click "advance"
then open the tree for EXIF PROPERTIES
then open the tree for ns.adobe.com/exif/1.0/aux
there it is, the 4th line down shows the IMAGE NUMBER
mine is 4197

WHAT YOURS????

What about the Preview Extractor software? Google it. That lets you supply a single JPEG and then it returns the shutter count.

Mine's at 7452, but that's from an image filename. I've not recent the counter from having the camera new in June.

if only i had know that.. but it saves more software being added to pc, doesnt it?

Total Number of Shutter Releases for Camera: 32848

If you shoot in JPEG and upload to Flickr, it is in "more properties". Not raw though, has to be in camera JPEG.

Gary.

Although, looking at those Kaplan graphs, maybe I should start worrying at 50k..

Interesting discussion; does your type of photography count? Outdoor pursuits, with their temperature and humidity variation, should lower your cameras life expectancy, certainly compared to your studio-only beasts.

Sports photos - do rapid-fire burst shots, using the 9fps-12fps features of your camera, wear heavily on the shutter curtains??

Ignoring future advances in sensor tech, does that mean a D3, with its tank-like build and 300,000 shot certification, a better buy than, say, a D300 or D700? If you broke it down into a 'cost per shot' type indicator?

ok guys, lets say you were going to buy a second hand camera, what would be acceptable shutters , or would it not bother you if you were buying a top of the range camera but the price was gobb smacking LOW!! . or would you say "i will wait and save some more for a new body/kit "

It doesn't work for me I'm afraid. It says the image number is 32 :p. I've had my camera for 2 years now!

I have had mine since June and I have taken over 17000 already :eek:

You may notice in my signature that I got it second hand (thank you Russ) So the total will be even higher :eek:

How do find out for a 400D??

Are we talking about the image unique ID number?

Because i have a 33 digit/letter number there

But the file info also says i'm sharpening the file by 25, so how can that be correct with a RAW file?

Are we talking about the image unique ID number?

Because i have a 33 digit/letter number there

But the file info also says i'm sharpening the file by 25, so how can that be correct with a RAW file?

I think if you are using CS3 to edit your raw files, it has some sharpening set as default. *I THINK*.

Gary.

My 2nd user 30D is apparently (according to Exif on Flickr) at 10796; just after I got the camera it was (apparently) 10509. I know that I have taken >3000 shots so far this year so I suspect the shutter count recorded in the 30D Exif is incorrect - or Flickr is misinterpreting it somehow.

B.

My 2nd user 30D is apparently (according to Exif on Flickr) at 10796; just after I got the camera it was (apparently) 10509. I know that I have taken >3000 shots so far this year so I suspect the shutter count recorded in the 30D Exif is incorrect - or Flickr is misinterpreting it somehow.

B.

You counted? ;)

Gary.

You counted? ;)

Gary.

Nah - I know I took 1779ish "chimp" shots the other weekend and I have filled the CF several times in the past year in Raw (300 shots ish before it needs formatting) so a guesstimate of >3000 seems reasonable to me.

Now if I had been shooting film, I would have had a diary with each and every shot in it :D. Exif does that for me now :)

B.

No chimping! :LOL:

...least that's what Andy Rouse says in a book of his I'm reading :D

Help! Can anyone tell me where to get some free software for a canon reader, as i did all this on a recent file and it comes up as 0! :p

^^ Mine does, default is 25 :)

Stylgeo - Post up your latest shot with exif intact and we can all have a look :D

*This method doesn't work on some canons, not sure if it's only the 1 series that have the shutter count on them (stupid cameras :p)

:D

Well, this one was from the last time I went out and about with the camera. It's taken from my flickr account, the EXIF should be there!
2890470553_5e01c7278f_o.jpg

I think if you are using CS3 to edit your raw files, it has some sharpening set as default. *I THINK*.

Gary.

I forgot to disable sharpening in ACR, thats where 25 has come from:bonk:

i'm on a 30d.

Great shot Stylgeo

Dave

Back